Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected II ❯ Case Closed ( Chapter 38 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected II
Chapter 36 - Case Closed
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee (mostly), some Dee/Ryo
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Author's Note: Well, this is it! The Unexpected II is finished. FINALLY, huh? Since it has been longer than I planned in posting, I decided to post the rest of the chapters today. The Unexpected III has been started (currently I'm trying to finish Chapter 9 for posting at my LJ). If I get time this weekend, I'll be posting The Unexpected III Chapter one. If not, then soon (no 4 month waiting). The chapters posted today are totally without beta - through no fault of my beta. I intend to correct that at a later time, but for now, please forgive the errors. See everyone soon!
 
 
March 30, 2006
 
I thought you wanted to be careful?” the caller asked the moment there was heard the sound of the phone being answered.
 
“That wasn't my idea,” came the defensive reply. “I told the others after the press conference to play it cool, not to let the police get to them. It was obvious that bastard Carrier cop was trying to rile us, hoping to piss us off enough to give ourselves away.”
 
“Looks like he was successful,” came the annoyed reply.
 
“It was George… he played it so cool he fooled us. Went right back to slicing up our latest guest after watching the special broadcast. I talked to my crew, made sure they understood. I even pushed the first dump to the overnight on Saturday, deciding Friday would be a bad idea. By the time George got back to the freak after our talk, he was already dead. He bled himself out while we watched the broadcast, but George insisted on finishing the incision, removing the monster from within him and make sure it was dead too. Then he got cleaned up and I closed up shop, sending everyone home for the day. Imagine my surprise to hear on the news later that night about the dump. He must have went back and made the dump himself.”
 
“I go out of town for a few days and come back to this.” The tone of voice indicted the caller was at the end of his patience. “How can you be so sure it was George?”
 
“Sal was with me, and Dave had a meet-up. Some poor sucker who didn't catch the press conference. Too late for him now. We had to go through with it, to make sure he didn't talk to the police.”
 
“I see your regular delivery boy made the rest of the deliveries as promised.”
 
“We used the van while the truck is getting a facelift. Look, I kept to this week's schedule, and we have two more, but it's too hot to go for five right now. Not to mention the police made it very clear that Laytner will remain on the force. Let me get rid of what we have and stay low for a while.”
 
“And let the police think they won?” A snort. “I don't think so. Find three more.”
 
“Who would use the website now? After all that publicity. And then this morning on `Good Morning, America' Laytner was on, telling the public what they have on us, warning about the website and more pointers on how Carriers can stay safe. And worse of all, talked about his having that damn monster, and getting pity points from the public. I hear he turned down quite a few other TV appearances, but he's going to appear on '48 Hours' to talk more about it. And do a couple of interviews for magazines. It's enough to make you sick.”
 
“Do you know which ones?”
 
“He didn't narrow it down yet. It's said that he decided to do two TV appearances and two interviews and no more for now.”
 
“I'll see what I can find out. But there are still always the stupid. Tell me there isn't any email since Friday.”
 
“There is, but I'm not sure I can trust them.”
 
“Well then, feel it out. Play legit until you can determine the inquiry is legit. Or if you have the stupid bastard in a place that it makes no difference, take him then.”
 
A heavy sigh came. “I'm planning on going out of town for a while. Maybe for a few months. Let it all calm down. Or just set up shop again somewhere else.”
 
“I'm not paying you to work somewhere else. You leave, I'm withdrawing my charitable contributions.”
 
“Fine. You do that. Two more dumps and then we're gone. You want to give the police more to sniff out, be my guest. But it won't be through us.”
 
“Believe me, I always get what I want. So I would think long and hard about this before making your final decision. I'll be calling you again tomorrow.” The phone call came to an abrupt end.
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
“So nothing on the truck yet?” Dom was asking when Ryo and Dee entered the office.
 
JJ shook his head. “Nothing. We tried to do a thread check for tires, but nothing. Jim is going back over the photos from the dump in Flushing Meadow, hoping to piece together something.
 
“Why couldn't they use carpets or something to wrap the victims in,” Dana sighed.
 
Ryo sat down in a chair next to Andy's desk and started to look through the files again.
 
“So how's life for you two this morning?” Diana asked.
 
Ryo looked up for a moment, then back to the file.
 
“We just had to tell more parents that their son was killed,” Dee remarked, leaning up against Dana's desk. “Tell me how life is.” Absently, he rubbed his swell through the cotton of his shirt. “The hell about it was that despite their grief, the parents were excited to have a celebrity in their house.”
 
“Who?” Drake asked.
 
Without looking up from his study of a file, Ryo pointed toward Dee. “Him. Mr. Good Morning America.”
 
“Oh, right,” Drake said, then snickered.
 
“Stop the teasing, fathead. I seem to remember you having the thrill of a lifetime meeting Cyreena Trembleton.”
 
“Well, she's only the hottest model turned movie star at the moment,” Drake defended. “Why shouldn't I be excited talking to her. Or getting her autograph?”
 
“Oh having her kiss you,” JJ snorted. He balled up a piece of paper and tossed it at Drake's head.
 
“Most definitely a mercy kiss,” Ted remarked. “You know, pity and all that.”
 
“I don't recall you getting a kiss,” Drake remarked with a smirk.
 
“Did you get a phone number with that kiss?” Dee asked, his eyes settling on Drake.
 
“Hell no. She's not that crazy,” Drake replied, then winked at Dee.
 
Dee laughed.
 
“He's not that crazy either,” Ryo remarked cryptically, picking up a pencil and starting to scribble on a blank piece of paper.
 
“So payment for the domain didn't pan out either, I see,” Diana mused after laughing with the others.
 
“No ma'am,” Andy said. “Nor for the hosting company for the website. Seems there was a large sum of money paid up front, in cash, with no return address.”
 
“So did whoever is doing this really expect to be killing Carriers for five years, or what?” Dom asked.
 
“I think it's was just to cover bases and not make any more payments,” JJ stated.
 
Dee nodded. “Sounds like that to me, too.”
 
“So who's going to email this joker and request for a meeting?” Diana asked.
 
All heads but Ryo's turned toward Diana.
 
“Excuse me?” Dee asked.
 
“Undercover assignment. Of course, you're out. We're not taking chances with a real baby. Dana and I are out, for obvious reasons of being female. So which one of you gentlemen want to pretend to be an upset Carrier with nowhere to turn?”
 
“I got it!” Ryo exclaimed, dropping his pencil onto the desk so hard it bounced.
 
“What?” Andy asked, jumping from the sudden exclamation from his partner. He grabbed the pencil and placed it on the other side of the desk from Ryo.
 
“It's an anagram,” Ryo remarked.
 
“A what?” Ted asked.
 
“There was something familiar about the bakery name. Like I should know what it is. So I sat down and tried to change the letters around.”
 
“Sorry, but you might have missed the meeting where we determined that there are no bakeries called Adaris Creed,” Ted commented amused.
 
“I know. But there was something,” Ryo replied. “It was driving me crazy since Dee did the interview yesterday.”
 
“So?” Dee asked. “What did you come up with?”
 
“Not good, but nothing surprising either,” Ryo said. He held up the pad he was writing on, moving it slowly so all could see.
 
“Holy shit,” Dee groaned.
 
“We managed to get three reports of that truck in the vicinity of a dump once we got the word out,” Drake said. “Which tells me this truck has been used all along.”
 
JJ shook his head. “Dead Carriers. In front of anyone it drove past, no one knew better. They just thought it was a private bakery or something.”
 
Diana looked thoughtful. “Which means we need to go through everything again, and see what else was left for us that we didn't catch.”
 
Dee sighed. “Well, I wish I could stay and join the party, but Dana and I have a meeting with one of our domestic victims.”
 
Dana nodded, standing up. “He's not a killer, but beating up your son because he said he's pregnant is bad enough. Let's go, Dee.”
 
“We'll give a call on the way back, in case anyone still stuck here needs us to bring back lunch,” Dee said. He winked at Ryo with grin as he followed Dana to the door.
 
“Be careful, you two,” Ryo remarked.
 
“I'll bring him back in one piece,” Dana assured Ryo from the doorway. “Exactly the way I expect someone to bring my husband home.” She smiled at Ryo.
 
Ryo still stared at the closed door after the two detectives left.
 
Diana went over to Ryo, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Relax. He's been doing great since you came back from your honeymoon. It seems to be good for him.”
 
Ryo nodded. “Yeah. Even Vince mentioned his blood pressure being down. Still… other than it's strange watching Dee left for a case with his partner.” He noticed eyes on him. “Sorry, Andy. Yeah, I know you're my partner. It's still weird. You have to understand, Dee and I have been partners for a long time.”
 
“And now you're husbands. You'd think you'd enjoy a little respite from always having him underfoot if you were still partners,” Andy replied.
 
“You might feel that way about your spouse,” Ryo snapped. “Then again, maybe that's why you're divorced, huh?”
 
Andy's eyes went wide.
 
“Shit,” Ryo grumbled, looking at his offended partner. “Look, Andy. I still don't feel good letting out there out of my sight for long as long as we don't have a collar on this case. I know, I know,” he added, holding his hands up in defense. “I'll admit I trust Dana with him. She knows how she would feel if anything happened to her husband, so she's not going to allow anything to happen to Dee. She knows how to handle him when he gets unreasonable because of pregnancy because of her husband. Hell, she doesn't let him give any crap when he's being just plain unreasonable because he's Dee. And she's a tough shit for a woman. Like Diana. Makes you glad we're all on the same side.”
 
Andy was still staring at him, even if he nodded acceptance to Ryo's apology.
 
“What?” Ryo asked.
 
“Two shits don't make Andy a happy boy,” Ted said, trying not to laugh.
 
“Would you say then that Andy doesn't give two shits?” Drake asked.
 
“Andy doesn't give a shit,” Diana giggled.
 
Andy stood up. “I do too! I mean, your bad jokes concern me. I'll be up on the roof.”
 
The door closed behind Andy with force. The others stared at the door for a second, then burst out in laughter.
 
“Seriously, I didn't realize I said shit,” Ryo said. “I mean, I said what I said.”
 
“Twice, Cutie-pie,” Diana laughed.
 
“He threw in a crap for good luck,” Drake snickered.
 
Ted started to open his mouth. Ryo pointed at him. “Don't start again.” He looked at his watch. After a heavy sigh, he said. “Okay, I'm going to let Andy simmer down over his smoke while I get myself some more coffee. Then we're off to the morgue and see what this autopsy has to offer.”
 
“Good luck,” Drake said. “Honestly, I'm glad it's not just JJ and me anymore.”
 
“Thank you, Drake,” Ryo said, giving Drake a mild glare. “See everyone later.”
 
~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~ ~+~
 
April 11, 2006
 
Ryo stared at Dee, who was sitting on the couch in the den. “Are you serious?” he asked.
 
Dee nodded his head, his eyes meeting Ryo's. “Yes. I am serious.”
 
“You really want to name the Chibi that?” Ryo studied his husband, saw the firm set of his features. Dee had come to a decision on his own, and Ryo saw a hard time convincing him otherwise. “What about the others we picked out?”
 
“They're nice. I was tossing around which one I liked best, but then I came across this one. It fits, Ryo. It fits our chibi so much, I can't see her having any other name.” His eyes narrowed. “Don't you like it?”
 
“It's different than what I was expecting we'll name the baby,” Ryo sighed. He sat down next to Dee. “I like all the other ones we picked out.”
 
Ever since they found out they were having a baby girl, Ryo and Dee had started to collect names they liked. The day before was their first day off, and they managed to bring the list down to five names that they both liked. All that was needed was to decide on one. The name Ryo was hoping for was Jessica for a first name. Dee was deciding if he also liked the name best. If not, they'd work with the other four.
 
It was a surprise to Ryo that a few minutes before, Dee tossed out a name to him out of the blue. It threw Ryo because it was so different than the names they selected.
 
He looked at Dee. “Can't we use that for a middle name?” he asked.
 
Dee shrugged. “Okay, I understand you didn't see this one coming. Hell, I didn't expect it myself until I saw it. But I think it's perfect for our little girl.” Dee leaned closer to brush his lips along Ryo's cheek. “It's perfect for your little girl, Papa,” he said.
 
“Dee,” Ryo sighed.
 
“Think about it for a bit, okay?” Dee asked. “For me? Please?”
 
“Okay, I'll think about it. But tell me why you think this name is so perfect.”
 
Dee smiled at Ryo, putting an arm around the older man, and pulled him closer. “You really wanna know?” Dee purred.
 
“Yeah. It would help,” Ryo said, fighting to stay his ground, but felt himself rapidly losing to Dee's charms.
 
“Okay.”
 
Dee kissed the shell of Ryo's ear and started to talk softly, explaining to Ryo all the reasons why he wanted their baby to have that name. When Dee was finished, he lightly kissed Ryo's mouth, before standing up. Dee told Ryo to think about it for a while and went to the kitchen to make them lunch.
 
When Ryo entered the kitchen after hearing Dee call out that lunch was ready, he smiled at his husband. How could he not give Dee that? Particularly when it was him that Dee had in mind in deciding on that name. Ryo knew Dee's mind was already set, and would probably get stubborn at some point if Ryo said no. However, Ryo was glad Dee made the effort to let it be a mutual decision. Dee's explanation was not only reasonable, but the reason for his wanting their daughter to have that name was beautiful. Too beautiful to say no.
 
He stood before Dee, who was already sitting at the breakfast bar, his lunch before him, and Ryo's on the placemat before the stool next to him. Dee gazed up with hopeful eyes. Ryo put his arms around Dee's shoulders and kissed him.
 
“Yes,” Ryo said as he broke the kiss. “And thank you. The more I thought about it, the more I understand how it's a gift. But only under one condition.”
 
“What's that?” Dee asked, smiling happily.
 
“That her middle name is after your mother.”
 
“I think we can do that,” Dee replied, before closing the slight distance between their lips for another kiss.
 
As they at lunch, Ryo glanced over at Dee. “So, are we going to tell the others we have a name?”
 
Dee shook his head. “We tell and they'll know we're having a girl. I heard Diana tried to pay Bikky off for the information.”
 
Ryo laughed. “I know they'll find out eventually, but it's fun watching everyone squirm waiting to see who got eliminated in the first round.”
 
“When do you think we should tell them?”
 
“About what we're having? Or the name?”
 
“Both,” Dee replied, and had a sip of his ginger ale.
 
Ryo laughed. “I say let them find out what we're having when they check out our baby registries.”
 
“That could be weeks,” Dee replied. They were planning on going out in the afternoon and start getting more ideas of what they wanted for the nursery. Once they had a theme, they would register with several stores. With the wedding in the past, and a start of their wedding photos online on their website, Dee started to work on a baby website, and put the links to the baby registries on the website.
 
Ryo laughed again. “Yeah, it could be.” He winked at Dee, who chuckled.
 
“You're a wicked man, Ryo Laytner-MacLean. Dare I ask when you think we should let them know the baby's name? After they figure out it's a girl, at least.”
 
“Of course after we finally let them figure out we're having a girl,” Ryo said with a grin. “I say keep it between us until she's born. We announce her name as we introduce her to everyone.”
 
“I like,” Dee agreed. “Kinda almost like Japanese tradition. I say let's do it.”
 
“We have a plan then,” Ryo said. “Now, since we can't use her name until she's born, we need to come up with a nickname for her. Maybe something we can use between family for when she's a baby? Grandma used to call me RaRa when I was a baby, and even in the last couple of months before I was born. They stopped using it when I turned one.”
 
“Hm. Okay, a nickname. Something to call our chibi. But when it's just you and me, it's perfectly cool to say her name to her while she's still in here, you know.”
 
“Oh, I know. I intend to. C'mon and let's finish up here, so we can start figuring out what we want to do with the nursery.”
 
“You need to finish up,” Dee said with a smirk. He pointed down to his plate. “I'm done. But I think I want to take a shower before we go out. So don't rush.” He stood, leaning over to kiss Ryo on the way up, and put his dishes into the sink before leaving the kitchen.
 
April 7, 2006
 
Dee looked up from his paperwork and sighed. He gazed up at the time and sighed again. Only three hours into the shift, and he was ready to go home. It had been a while since Ryo and Dee worked 2nd shift. Dee was used to at least relaxing on the couch after dinner by that time of the day, if not taking a short nap. The unit decided to split up, alternating between 1st and 2nd shifts, in hopes of finally getting a collar. Dee thought it would be like before, sleep in late, wake up in time to eat and maybe run a few errands and off to work. He wasn't counting on finding himself up in the morning, and going through wallpaper patterns for the nursery. Or going to lay down for a nap a couple of hours before it was time to get ready for work, to discover he was starting to feel the baby move more at those times.
 
So at 7 o'clock, he found himself wishing it was already 1 am, and the end of the shift. He was certain, baby moving or not, once he hit the bed, he was going to be out through the rest of the night and most of the morning. Another three days of this, before their days off, and returning to day shift for four days, and so the rotation was to go. Dana and Ryo went out to get everyone dinner, while Andy was up on the roof smoking, and most likely sulking.
 
When Dee and Ryo came in at the start of the shift after having two days off, they discovered that Andy had spent the day before `organizing' their office, claiming to make it look more official. Ryo shook his head, prepared to make his partner miserable for the shift by calling for him and making him find something that Ryo had known the location of before everything was moved.
 
Before Ryo had a chance to react, Dee blew a gasket. For five minutes, the pregnant detective went into a storm of blustery and imaginative cursing at the rookie detective, and ended with threatening to send Andy into Chief Smith's office to do him the same favor, and to be in the office when the Chief arrived to work the next day.
 
Andy was offended, insulted and hurt, and went off in huff to the next office, where he worked quietly on his paperwork. Dee and Ryo noticed he took more breaks to smoke, and stayed longer. He declined Ryo's offer to pick up dinner for him. Dana shook her head, flashing eyes that told the younger detective that he should have listened the day before, before leaving with Ryo, determined to bring back something for him to eat anyway.
 
Throughout the shift, Ryo tried to talk to him, with no luck. Dee, on the other hand, glared, growled and snorted whenever Andy was in his sight. As Dee sat back in his chair, one hand absently rubbing his growing bump, he took satisfaction that the boy was finally breaking rules by staying up on the roof so long for his -- Dee thought back to the last three hours - fourth break. Fine, he'd let him stay up there as long as he liked. Dee glanced around the office. At least the pile of folders on his desk was the result of his finding them and putting them in the order he preferred.
 
He heard Dana and Ryo's laughter coming down the hallway before he heard them approach the office door. Dee smiled as they entered, carrying bags of Chinese take-out, realizing he was getting hungry.
 
Dana left Andy's food on his desk and sat in the office with Ryo and Dee, going over some things. In the last two weekends, the killer did not make the threatened mark of increasing the killed by one, but there were still a few dumps over the time. They figured that only those who were unaware of the website still used it, but the number of potential victims dropped significantly because of the press conference and Dee's interviews. Every day on the news, on every channel, Carriers were reminded of safety practices.
 
Even if the decrease of dead, there were still too many that lost their lives.
 
They were almost done with their dinner when the phone on Dee's desk rang. He picked it up, talking into it.
 
Ryo and Dana paused to stare at Dee as his eyes grew wider, reflecting hope, as he scribbled down notes. Dee tried to get a name and address from the female caller, repeatedly mentioning the $10,000 reward for any tips leading to the arrest of the Carrier Killer, but she remained firm in wanting to stay anonymous. Halfway through the call, Ryo was at his desk, requesting a trace of the call.
 
Dee stood up as he placed the receiver down.
 
“Well?” Ryo asked anxiously. “What's going on?”
 
“Call Chief and the Commissioner,” Dee remarked. “I'm going to call JJ and Drake. We might have a good lead.”
 
“Oh God,” Dana murmured. “Please, don't let this be another crank call.”
 
“The only problem is we'll need to get in touch with the State Police near Valhalla.”
 
“Valhalla?” Dana remarked.
 
Ryo looked at the paper Dee wrote on, a thoughtful look on his face. “You know, we never really gave much thought to it, but it makes sense. I doubt he could operate within the city. Too crowded. Someone would have heard something.”
 
Dee nodded. “Fits in with several of the victims planning to leave town before they went missing.”
 
“Maybe we should call everyone in?” Dana asked.
 
“Nah,” Ryo replied. “Chief and the Commissioner, for obvious reasons. Drake and JJ, because it's their catch. We have to coordinate with the State Police, possibly get warrants….”
 
Dana sighed heavily, cutting him off. “In other words, it's going to be a very long night.”
 
“Possible.” Ryo's eyes went to Dee, who was already starting to call Drake. “But, when we get into hurry up and wait mode, someone is going to be making use of the futon we have hidden in here.”
 
“If I could relax,” Dee remarked, “Hey Drake. JJ with you? Good. Get here ASAP. Yes, we have an address to check out.”
 
Ryo went to his desk to call their superiors, while Dana poked her head in the office to find Andy eating his food.
 
“Time to stop grumbling, kiddo,” she called out. “This might be it!”
 
Andy almost dropped his carton he ate from, gazing up hopefully. “Really?” he asked, starting to stand up.
 
“No shit,” Dana remarked with a wink.
 
 
It was nearing midnight, and the unit was gathered in the squadroom. They were looking over photos sent to them via email from the State Police, who sent out an unmarked unit to the location. In some of the photos of the L-shaped ranch house on a lot was a truck. It was painted white, but they were waiting for Jim to come back with anything that might indicate it was the same truck with a new paint job.
 
“It looks like someone is getting ready for a long trip, judging from the way that van is loaded,” JJ mused, glancing at the photos.
 
“Yeah, that's what I'm thinking,” Dee agreed.
 
As the detectives discussed the similiarities of shape to the bakery truck of the Pathmark dump, Commissioner Rose was speaking to the State Police, which Chief Smith attempted to get a judge who would hopefully issue them a warrant so they could move out before daylight. Dominic and Diana were already on their way up, to meet with the State police and do their own recon of the area.
 
Ryo rested his hands on Dee's shoulders. “Dee, look, we're not going anywhere for at least a few more hours. Try to take a nap, please?”
 
Dee looked up, ready to protest to his husband, but his answer was a resounding yawn. Others around them laughed and Ryo managed to convince Dee to take a nap in their office.
 
Three am found the unit getting into two vans. Attempts were made to keep Dee behind, but Dee was not hearing it, including any orders from his superiors. It was decided that Dee would stay with the Chief and Commissioner and be the point of contact between the different teams. Ryo and JJ had packed up their sniper gear, just in case those skills were needed.
 
Five am they arrived at the ranch house in Valhalla. The description Dee was given of a man that was said to be the killer left the house forty-five minutes later, carrying a box to the van.
 
Once Dee gave the word to all units in the area, everything went fast. Not even a minute later, he heard the sounds of a helicopter approaching the area from where it hovered out of distance. Drake and JJ went up to the man, asking him where he was going. The man dropped his box and tried to make a run for it around the van, to be stopped by Marty and Ted. Diana and Dominic, along with troopers from the State police closed in. Ryo remained in his place, perched on the roof of the second van, aiming, just in case by some weird lark their suspect managed to break free.
 
The State police took custody of the man, who's name was George. Ryo was called down from his place and joined the others as they entered the house. Dee remained outside, sitting in the front of the van, peering through the windshield, as if hoping to see what was inside the house, as he continued to coordinate between the various teams as a sweep of the house was made.
 
“Holy Mother,” came the horrified exclamation from Dana.
 
“What?” Dee asked, looking over at Chief Smith.
 
“It's a damn slaughterhouse in here,” she remarked. “God, I think I'm going to be sick. There's blood all over this back room, even if it looks as if attempts to clean it up were made. There's something that looks like a walk-in freezer.”
 
“Bingo!” Dee exclaimed.
 
“Have Roszinski do us some good and go over there,” Chief remarked gruffly.
 
Dee called for Andy to come out and grab the forensics kit they had and to join Dana. He okayed for Drake and JJ to also join the two, while the others continued to search the house.
 
Eight am found them finishing up for the moment, the property already closed off as a crime scene. George Walters was currently being booked on suspicion of murder. Rose called everyone to gather outside the vans. Soon after, they were on their way to a local motel where they were to stay for the rest of the day. Local police were to stay at the location.
 
Despite the action and the celebratory atmosphere on the way to the motels, almost everyone was immediately asleep, Dee among the first, as he lay protectively in Ryo's arms in their room. The only ones who stayed up were those who were in the back room. Drake and JJ tried, but every time they closed their eyes, they saw the room with the rusted brown stains, the dentist chair that was assumed to have been used as an operating table, and the inside of the freezer, with three dead Carriers, cut open on one side of the walk-in unit, and two fetuses and what was considered a stillborn baby haphazardly piled on the other side.
 
They ended up joining Dana and Andy outside. Dana and JJ watched as Drake and Andy chain smoked, almost tempted to join them. Even better, they were tempted to find something strong to help drink away the visions behind their eyes.
 
For once, Andy did not protest any swearing that night.
 
 
April 12, 2006
 
Dee felt someone shaking his shoulder, thinking it was too soon to wake up. He tried snuggling further into the covers and his husband's embrace, only to encounter the mattress and sheets. Slowly he turned his head and looked up peering through half open eyes to find it was Ryo attempting to wake him.
 
“Dee, c'mon. We're checking out and going back to the city.”
 
“What's going on?” Dee asked, sitting up slowly, realizing that in the last week, it was becoming a bit of a struggle to do what was once a simple task. A week and a half shy of six months pregnant and Dee was looking closer to seven. His hips ached and he felt muscles stretch and pull along this abdomen. Ryo helped him into a sitting position. Dee was still too out of it to protest much.
 
“George wasn't working along. Actually he was an employee of Carriers Inc,” Ryo explained.
 
Dee's eyes opened at that. “What?” he exclaimed.
 
Ryo handed him a Styrofoam cup, with decaf tea. “Sorry, but that's all they had.”
 
“I'm tempted to try a little coffee right now,” Dee remarked, accepting the cup and drank from it. “Now, care to run that by me again?”
 
“Carriers Inc. is the company George worked for. He's our killer, but not the person who abducted the unsuspecting Carriers under false pretenses. There were others. And the boss lady. They operated out here, but the others live within the city. We're going back, getting some rest and tonight will be more raids, assuming the units on stakeout don't see any movement to indicate anyone leaving the area for good..”
 
Dee stood up, rubbing his back with one hand and drinking his tea with another. “Holy crap. So we were looking for more than one person?”
 
“Yeah,” Ryo replied, following Dee into the small bathroom.
 
“And they were cleaning out shop, huh?” he asked, as he set the cup down on the sink and turned on the tap to rinse his face.
 
“Yup. They were going to make the last of the dumps later tonight, and leave the state tomorrow morning,” Ryo explained what he learned from reports of George's confession. “Apparently George is hoping for a plea bargain.”
 
Dee's head whipped around sharply, staring at Ryo. “Please, don't tell me…”
 
Ryo shook his head. “The Commissioner said to tell him what he wants to hear, but when his arraignment comes, all bets are off.” Ryo's dark eyes hardened. “That fucker is the one who killed each and every one of those poor Carriers.”
 
“He admitted to it?” Dee asked.
 
“He's hoping for a lighter sentence by confessing.”
 
“Please let me be in that courtroom when he finds out otherwise,” Dee stated through clenched teeth. “I'm going to take a quick shower.”
 
“Go ahead. I'm ready. I figured to let you sleep in a little while I got the rundown. There's some donuts on dresser that I grabbed when I went to get our tea and coffee.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“I'm going to be outside, talking to the Commissioner. Chief is over at the house, because Jim arrived this morning. He'll meet us back later before we head out to collect the rest of them.”
 
“Hey!” Dee called out as Ryo started to leave the bathroom.
 
“What?” Ryo asked looking back.
 
Dee grabbed Ryo by his wrist and pulled him close. “The honeymoon isn't over yet, you know,” he said, lightly kissing Ryo.
 
Ryo chuckled. “Yeah, I know. I'm sorry. Just distracted with everything.”
 
“I know.”
 
Ryo caught a catch in the two quiet spoken words and pulled Dee close to him, hugging him. “Dee, as soon as you're ready, we're leaving. We're going home until later this afternoon. I swear when we get home, I'm going to hold you and never let you go until we have to leave to pick up the rest of the trash.”
 
Dee sighed, resting his head against Ryo's. “I'm sorry. It's just… I'm glad that it's almost all over, but I guess it still spooks me. Just hearing the details of that room. I don't know if I can handle looking at the photos later.”
 
“I know. I feel the same. We'll worry about that when we get there. For now, just go get ready. The sooner you are, the sooner we leave here. And to be honest, that will make me feel better.”
 
The married couple kissed again, softly, before Ryo squeezed Dee one more time, and left the bathroom.
 
 
It was almost midnight when Dee and Ryo walked down the hallway toward the 27th Precinct's interrogation cells. They stopped before the Commissioner.
 
“I take it everything went okay in your location?” Rose asked, his eyes studying Dee.
 
Dee shrugged. “I just played radio relay again. We have the delivery boy on his way in.”
 
Ryo nodded his head toward the door Rose stood before. “And we have in there…?”
 
“The CEO of Carriers Inc. herself,” Rose said with a snort. “As soon as JJ and Drake come out, we'll let you two in for a bit. But Dee, watch yourself.”
 
Dee took Ryo's hand and squeezed it. “It's not me that I'm afraid of, but I'll hold him back.”
 
The door opened. They all turned to watch JJ and Drake walk out.
 
“Anything?” Rose asked.
 
“Yeah, she wants her lawyer. But also threatened George's life,” JJ said.
 
“Do you have evidence?” Dee asked.
 
“Oh yeah. They're still going through her apartment over on the Upper East side,” Drake assured them.
 
“We might have more,” Rose stated, looking at his men. “When we did a run on her name, guess what came up?”
 
“I'm not playing 20 questions, Commissioner,” Dee grumbled. “I'm tired, I want to get this over with and go to sleep.”
 
Rose smiled at Dee. “If you prefer, you can go home now. You put in enough overtime in the last couple of days. In fact, when you leave, I'm insisting you take tomorrow off and rest, Dee.”
 
“I'm fine,” Dee started to protest, and realized there were three sets of eyes on him.
 
“You're staying home tomorrow, Dee. If we really need you, we'll call. Okay?” Ryo said.
 
Rose cleared his throat. “Twice you went against my orders, and I let you, Dee. Because I knew what it meant to you, and I trusted you. We have everyone involved with the killings now. It's time for you to stand down some and give you and the baby some rest.” He placed his hand on Dee's shoulder. “This time, if you argue against my orders, I'm going to place you on one week suspension. Understood?”
 
Dee sighed. “Yes, Commissioner.”
 
“Good. Now go in there and see what you can get from her.”
 
 
Taylor McFadden drummed her fingers against the table in the room. She was aware that she might be looked in on from the one way mirror along one of the walls. Damn that George, she thought. They were almost home free. They were to wake up early the next day and start driving to Canada, where she planned to settle down and eventually set up shop again. She had no idea who her benefactor was, but suddenly she realized she had made two major mistakes when she decided to start Carriers Inc in New York City. First was allowing him to pay her for doing what she planned all along. She ended up saying yes, so her own inheritance would remain untouched, while she had the money needed to set up her operation to kill Carriers. The second mistake was telling the strange voice on the phone that she was leaving the country come the next day. She suspected he had something to do with George's arrest. If she ever found herself alone with that sniveling bastard, blood would finally be on her hands, because she swore to kill George Walters herself.
 
The door opened and her eyes widened as two familiar detectives entered the room. The Carrier and his partner-turned-father of his baby-and husband. Her eyes fixed on the tall dark haired detective as he removed his jacket and placed it on the empty chair. He stretched, a hand behind his back and rubbed, making the swell of that monster bump project out a little more, in her direction.
 
 
“Good evening, Ms. McFadden,” Dee started, hard green eyes meeting hers. “Before we go any further, you should know that your lawyer has been contacted and has declined to represent you. So, should you have a name of another lawyer, you could give us the name and we'll make sure she or he will be contacted. Otherwise, you have a right to council provided by the state.” He sneered at her. “Apparently not even the sharks want to represent you, so you might have some trouble, ma'am.”
 
Taylor frowned, her long fingernails tapping against the table. She lifted one manicured hand, showing Dee her fingers. “See this? No blood on these hands. I did not kill those men.”
 
“No. But you directed George to kill,” Ryo spoke up. “He was employed by you, and your company Carriers Inc, was to lure in Carriers to kill them. You will not walk away a free woman.” He leaned his hands flat on the table top before him and his dark dangerous eyes met the icy blue of the woman before him. “What made you do it, Ms. McFadden?”
 
“I have nothing to say.”
 
Dee sighed, a hand now on his swell and rubbing in circles, attempting to calm the moving baby within. “You talk, we are willing to consider a reduced sentence.”
 
“If I'm found guilty.”
 
“Ms. McFadden, please,” Ryo snapped annoyed. “George already signed his confession, and what he had to say incriminates you. Sal and Dave have agreed to sign confessions too. They are speaking right now. So, we pretty much already know what Carriers Inc. did. What we want to know is why did you start this?”
 
Her steel blue eyes settled on Dee and the baby swell. Her eyes grew storm and her face contorted in anger. “Because it's not right!” she yelled out. Pointing a finger at Dee, she continued, “You have NO RIGHT having babies. Men shouldn't. Women should. And you have a nerve to dare bring a baby into this world when there are women who cannot bare children!!!!” She dropped back in her chair and covered her face, starting to sob.
 
 
Inside Rose's office, Dee sat down, drinking a mug of tea that the Commissioner made. Dana sat next to Dee. Inside the interrogation room, the cameraman arrived, so Taylor McFadden's testimony and confession could be videotaped, while Ryo, Drake and JJ carried on the questioning.
 
“What made her talk suddenly?” Rose asked.
 
Dee smirked. “It's been a long two days for me, sir. My back is killing me, the baby won't stay still, and I'm afraid to look down at my ankles when I get home.” He sighed. “I guess she lost it when I was subconsciously rubbing my back or trying to calm the baby. She just started to rant at me, like it was my fault she couldn't conceive.”
 
Dana looked at Dee sharply. “That's it? That's why all those poor men died? Because she couldn't have children of her own?”
 
Dee nodded.
 
“This has been festering for at least a year and a half,” Rose spoke up, pushing a folder toward Dee and Dana. “When we did a run on her name, this came up.”
 
Dee and Dana read the folder together. “Holy shit,” Dee muttered, looking up at Rose. “So her husband went missing in Hartford after he announced that he was pregnant?”
 
“Do you think she killed him?” Dana asked.
 
“It was a closed case not long after his body was found in a wooded area near Waterbury three weeks after she reported him missing,” Rose explained. “If you ask me, when the autopsy came back revealing he was pregnant, the local police closed the case and she moved.”
 
Dee nodded. “Neighbors testimony state that they had been trying to get her pregnant with no luck. Her and her husband became estranged. They lived in the same house, but lived separate lives.” He smirked, reading on. “Hubby was bisexual. So he went out and accidentally got himself pregnant by some dude he was seeing on the side.”
 
Dana whistled. “Not that I can say she was justified in what she did, but I guess that was a slap in her face.” She sat back and smiled at Dee. “Too bad she just couldn't accept that her husband was a Carrier and let him Carry their children.”
 
“Yeah. Instead, she goes off the deep end and goes on a killing spree,” Dee replied.
 
“Nothing like a woman's scorn,” Rose recited.
 
Two heads nodded and Dee had another sip of his tea. As he set the mug down, he frowned. “What worries me is she might attempt to plead insanity.”
 
“If she does, we'll make sure she ends up in a high security facility. But we'll do what we can to prevent that from happening,” Rose assured him.
 
There was a knock and the door opened slightly. “Sir?” Ryo asked, poking his head in.
 
“Come in, Ryo. I trust the interview is over?” Rose asked.
 
Dee looked up at Ryo.
 
Ryo nodded as he entered the office. “Yes, sir. It's done. Drake and JJ are taking her to Central Booking now. And with your permission, I'd like to take Dee home now.”
 
“Of course,” Rose stated. “In fact, I want not only Dee off tomorrow, but everyone who is still here right now. And that's an order.”
 
Dana stood up, holding her hand down to help Dee up. “Thank you, sir. My husband will appreciate it. He's been seeing less of me this last week. And I'm starting to miss him too.” She sighed heavily as Dee stood up. “I can't believe it,” she exclaimed, hugging Dee. “It's over!”
 
Dee hugged her back, laughing. “Yes. Yes, it is. It's safe for your husband to go out and about now.”
 
He felt Ryo's hand rubbing his lower back. “And for you, too, Dee,” Ryo replied softly. “Dammit. It really is over.”
 
“Yes, it is. And we'll do everything to make sure they stay off the streets for decades. Now everyone get out of here, and I'll see you day after tomorrow. Keep with the schedule already planned for a few rotations,” Rose stated.
 
“Thank you, Commissioner,” Dee said with a grin. “I'm not going to argue either. I could sleep all through tomorrow.”
 
“Then do that,” Ryo said, taking Dee's hand.
 
“I'll give you two a drive home. I'll just get into the Battery Tunnel from your place,” Dana offered.
 
“It's a deal, partner,” Dee said, as Ryo started for the door, pulling Dee along. Dana followed the handsome married couple, waving to the Commissioner as they left.