Fake Fan Fiction ❯ The Unexpected III ❯ Disappointments and Surprises ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: The Unexpected III
Chapter 4 - Disappointments and Surprises
Word Count: 6856
Rating: R
Fandom: FAKE
Pairings: Ryo/Dee
Warnings: Yaoi, Male/male, MPREG, AU If you don't like, don't read! Cursing, mature themes, graphic insinuations of violent death.
Disclaimer: FAKE is not mine. We have Sanami Matoh for giving us Dee, Ryo and the rest of the 27th precinct characters. Any OCs appearing in this fic are mine.
Notes: Diana gets an unwelcome visit while at the 27th, and Dee and Ryo find out when they finally get much needed time off.
 
# # # # #
 
June 6, 2006

Diana Spacey was walking down the corridor, toward Ryo and Dee's office when she heard the elevator behind her open. She did not pay much attention to it, as it seemed like someone was always coming and going from many of the detectives who occupied the fourth floor of the 27th Precinct. There were other squads besides the former Criminal Investigations on that floor, including Narcotics and Homicide squads. Before the reassignment of CI, the tough cases went right up to CI, along with others that seemed to be getting nowhere with the other squads. The only cases CI did not see involved petty robbery or assault. They would only get such cases if it promised to be high profile. Since Criminal Investigations had became the Carrier Hate Crimes Unit, all their other cases were redistributed among the other detective squads, while everything that concerned a Carrier was assigned to CHCU. That included any cases in which a Carrier was just a random victim. It was decided that such cases would still need the sensitivity that CHCU was providing they had when it came to working with Carriers and their families. Since the inception of the unit, they had acquired their own ADA, who was well versed with Carrier laws and protection rights. The lawyer worked closely with the team, particularly Dee and Dana. As a result, Dee had been starting to prove himself something of an expert on laws and rights concerning Carriers, which enabled him to find ways around it, or how to start getting new laws into action. Spending more time behind a desk than the rest of the unit, Dee spent the time he was not actively researching for a case, looking into laws and rights, and digging further whenever he hit roadblocks with his cases.

“Diana,” she heard a familiar voice call out. She had not heard the voice since New Year's Eve.

She paused and turned, watching with a frown as Richard approached.

“Nice to see you again, Diana. They said I could find you around here,” he said.

“Who would they be?” she asked.

Richard frowned a little. “I miss you,” he said instead.

“Funny, but I don't miss you,” she said, nose in the air. “Look, I don't have time for bigots who would rather breed hatred, so unless this is official, I have things to do.”

“I hear you're moving to New York,” he said, ignoring her words.

“Your sources are behind the times. I did move to New York.”

“Last I hear, you're living in some shabby little apartment while you're still shopping for a proper home.”

Diana shook her head. “When we started working together, I never took you for such a snob. I'm quite happy with my apartment, but I'm not very thrilled making someone else rich off it. I'd much rather invest my money, which is why I'm looking for a condo or townhouse.”

“Do you think we can do dinner tonight?” Richard asked. “I have a friend who's in real estate that might be able to help you.”

“I already have a real estate agent, thank you,” Diana said, glancing at her watch. She was to meet with CHCU for a debriefing on the arraignment of Taylor McFadden, and wanted to talk to Dee and Ryo first. “And I have plans for dinner tonight.”

Richard frowned. “What about lunch?”

“I have a meeting with the DA for lunch. Sorry.” Diana shrugged, but it was obvious she was not sorry.

Richard grimaced. “Diana, isn't it time you stopped with this foolishness?” he asked.

“Excuse me?” she asked, coming across rudely. “Which foolishness would you be referring to?”

“This caring for those Carriers crap,” Richard replied. “Look, I understand one of your friends turned out to be one of those freaks, but you don't have to head a crusade to protect them.”

Diana glared at Richard. “Crusade, huh? If that's what you want to call it. Turns out I believe in what we're doing with my new unit. I don't see anything wrong with supporting Human Rights, and protecting citizens from atrocious crimes.”

“Having friends like that, you're blinded to the big picture,” Richard tried to reason with her.

“Oh? I suppose you'll waste more of my time telling me just what that big picture is.” Diana folded her arms, and tapped her foot impatiently. “Well? Make it quick, because I really have to be going.”

“If you would give me time to take you out for a meal soon, we can talk more, and you can be on your way.”

Diana raised her eyebrows. “No. I'm not interested. I have way too much to do than waste my time listening to your bullshit. But I'm curious, so please to educate me.”

“You speak of Human Rights,” Richard scoffed. “There is nothing `human' about Carriers.”

Diana looked shocked. “You actually would dare to push it that far? What bigots go through these days to make their inane ideas seem legit,” she scoffed. “Goodbye, Richard. And if you're seen around here in fifteen minutes, I will make sure you're escorted outside.” She turned and strode down the hallway toward the door leading to Dee and Ryo's private office, bypassing the entrance to the squad room.

“Diana, you will understand one day that this is wrong,” Richard called out.

Without turning, she replied, “What is wrong is you, Richard.” She reached the office door and, turning the doorknob without knocking, she added, “Goodbye.”

Diana entered the office, expecting to find the two detectives lip-locked. Instead, she found Ryo on the phone at his desk, while Dee was typing away on his keyboard, staring up at his monitor as he worked. Both men's attention went toward the door when they heard it open and then slam closed. They found Diana standing before the closed door, fuming, and obviously trying to control her emotions.

Ryo was still halfway through a call he could not interrupt, so his eyes went to Dee, hoping the other man would handle the situation in their office.

“Hey, what's wrong?” Dee asked. “I hope it's not something we did to cause you standing in here, fuming like a dragon with heartburn.”

Diana gave Dee a tight, tiny smile that looked more scary than warm. “Richard!” she exclaimed loudly.

Ryo winced and pointed to the phone. Covering where he spoke into the phone, he stated, “I have to take this call. It's the Sabrano case.”

Diana nodded and went over to Dee's desk. Pulling a chair with her, so she could sit on the side of the desk, instead of opposite of Dee, she plopped down and folded her arms. “I was on my way to give you two an update on Taylor McFadden's husband's case, but just outside there, I had a most unpleasant encounter.”

“Oh? What happened?” Dee asked. Saving the file he worked on, he turned his chair to face Diana, giving her his attention.

“Richard!” she repeated again.

Dee nodded, trying to stay calm in hopes to soothe the distraught woman. “We got that much already. What about Richard?” Dee frowned slightly as he searched his memories on who she could be talking about.

“Richard is that pompous ass that I made the mistake of bringing to your New Year's Eve party. I haven't heard from him since. Until today,” she growled.

Ryo was thanking whoever he spoke to on the phone, still scribbling notes on a pad. He hung up the phone, placing his pen down and stood up to walk across the office to sit on the edge of Dee's desk. “I think I remember now. Isn't he the asshole I escorted to the door before the night was over?” he asked.

“That's the one. And that reminds me, I need to call Berkeley, and make sure Richard leaves the premises.”

Dee lifted the handset from his desk phone and handed it to Diana, punching in the direct extension to the Commissioner's office.

“Hello Berkeley,” Diana spoke when the Commissioner answered his phone. He had started to make a habit in the last few months of taking any calls that came from Dee and Ryo's extension without delay. “Guess who we have loitering in this building? Richard. Of course you remember him, from New Year's Eve. I heard that he's in opposition of our new unit here and attempting to fight the FBI's involvement. Well, I found him in the hallway here on the 4th floor, and I'd like him removed from our premises. Wonderful. Thank you, Berks. I'll see you later this morning and we can talk more.”

As she hung up the phone, she noticed both men were frowning, their eyes on her.

“What did he want?” Ryo asked.

“To ask me out to have a meal, to offer his connections to real estate,” she replied. “I told him I want nothing from him.” She gave them a small grin. “Besides, I'm with Berks now.”

Dee nodded. “It was about time he figured things out. Too bad it had to take our wedding for it to finally sink in. But he's been treating you well, right?”

“Very. It's just that he's useless with some things. Like looking at townhouses,” Diana agreed.

Ryo chuckled. “I think it's because he realizes that you'll probably expect it to be his home someday?”

“Which is why it would be nice if he gave a little more input to the process. Of course, I never said anything to him about that.”

“He can be blind in some ways, and yet able to catch on quickly in others,” Dee mused. “Usually the wrong ones. Whatever. Later today, we'll see what you have, and then start the narrowing process. Then we'll make sure he's with you when you make your final selection. Now what's this about Richard opposing our unit?”

“I heard some things. He's starting to make noise that your unit is a waste of taxpayer's money. And he's trying to get the FBI to pull our pilot program. I'm expecting full reports by the end of the week on it. Meanwhile, I'm here about Taylor McFadden's case. The FBI has decided to reopen the case on her husband. Looks like we have a date -- finally - for her arraignment with Carriers Inc. I think the possibility of her going through trial for murdering her husband had a lot to do with it.”

“When is the date set for?” Ryo asked.

“This Friday,” Diana replied.

Ryo frowned. Diana noted that he did not look happy at all. “And are they still expecting Dee to testify?”

“Is there a problem with that?” Diana asked, gazing over to Ryo.

“Other than we're hoping to finally have a day or two off later this week, no.”

“I'm sure you can switch with someone and….”

“Diana, Dee has been working 7 days in a row now. When we finally get the word on when he can take his days off, he is taking them,” Ryo insisted sharply. “I know this is important, but overall, if it comes to it, all Dee's presence is going to do is help determine the sentence. You ask me, it's just a gesture for publicity more than anything else. What about victim's families? Tell me no one will testify.”

Dee frowned up at Ryo. “Hey, Tiger. Calm down. I'm able to fight my own battles.”

“Would you, Dee?” Ryo challenged him.

“I'd go to court, if necessary. That's assuming we actually do have Friday off,” Dee replied.

“I'll talk to Berkeley on giving you tomorrow and Thursday off, then you can come in Friday for court,” Diana suggested.

“Diana, just stay out of this,” Ryo demanded. “We're working with the Commissioner and later today he is expected to let us know when we can take our days off. And if we end up having Friday off, then don't expect Dee to be in court. So what is wrong with the other families?”

Diana tapped a fingernail on the surface of the desk. “Nothing. We have a few of them. We also have others who would rather not be reminded of the ordeal, and try to move on with their lives, finding closure the day they found out all involved with the killings were arrested and signed confessions of their guilt. We also have the families who don't care, but let's not get into that right now.”

Ryo glanced at Dee. “If we have Friday off, you are not going. Do you understand?”

“No. I don't understand,” Dee snapped hotly. “I said I'd show up and testify, so I'll be there on Friday regardless of what days we end up having off, or don't. Do you understand that?”

“No you're not, Dee. You need your rest. I am not having you come in, to face her, with no rest.”

“I think what Diana proposed is fair. If the Commissioner can arrange it. We have tomorrow and Thursday off, and come in Friday. Besides, our anniversary is Thursday, so hopefully we'll have that off and we can enjoy the day.”

“Oh? Did you make any plans for it?”

Dee shook his head, his frown getting deeper. “How can I when I don't know if we have the freakin' day off?” he exclaimed, frustrated. “But believe me, if you keep going like this, you'll be lucky to be having make-up sex on that day, because you're really pissing me off right now.”

Ryo took a deep breath. “I'm sorry, Dee. I'm just looking out for you and the Chibi. Best intentions and all, you know.”

Dee stood up, glaring down at Ryo. “I'll tell you what I know. I know that there's a huge difference between having a baby and being one. I'm not a freakin' baby, Ryo. So back off.”

“I'm only doing this because I care.”

Dee started to walk away from his desk, swaying a little from standing up too quickly. “Then don't care that fuckin' much.” He walked around Diana and headed for the door.

“Don't walk out on me, Dee. Just listen….”

“If I don't right now, I'm going to piss my pants. So when I get back from the bathroom, make sure you're able to let me make my own damn decisions.” He opened the office door and stepped out, slamming it behind him.

“I don't think that glass pane is going to survive this pregnancy,” Diana commented. She looked over to Ryo. “Now would you mind telling me what is your problem, Pretty Boy?”

“Did it occur to you that this week is our anniversary as a couple?” Ryo asked, still glaring at his friend.

“Yes. I did. And I wasn't too happy when I heard that you were scheduled to work that day. I thought you both needed to use the day for a little getaway, even if it's in a hotel in the city or something. So having tomorrow and Thursday off would be just perfect.”

“We do have off tomorrow and Thursday. And Friday and Saturday.”

“What?” Diana looked confused. “But you both just said you don't know what your days off are yet.”

Ryo dropped in Dee's vacated seat. “I thought it was a good idea at the time.” He sighed, lowering his head, wiping his forehead with a hand. Looking back to Diana, he continued, “Being that Chief didn't realize it was our anniversary when he originally worked out our schedules. Then with Dana being out on baby leave, it came to me to take advantage of it. Andy's kid isn't sick. I switched our days off with him. I didn't think about how hard it would be on Dee, so I'm glad we're off after today. Seven days in a row is taking its toll on Dee. And yes, I made plans for our days off. By noon tomorrow, we're supposed to be at the Fire Island Pines for four days of rest and relaxation. Berkeley is in on it. So is Chief. And I wanted to surprise Dee tomorrow morning. So I would appreciate it if you would just back off. And don't expect Dee to be in court Friday.”

“Oh God,” Diana groaned, covering her face with her hands. “I almost screwed that up, didn't I?”

“You still might have. Let's be lucky it's just a mood with Dee and he'll be fine by the time he returns. Because if Thursday comes around and he's still pissed at me, that will be your fault.”

“My fault?!? Look, maybe if you had a different approach, Dee wouldn't have felt offended.”

“I suddenly saw all my planning and conniving go to nothing when you started to talk.” Ryo got up from Dee's chair to pace the small confines of the office. “I can't believe they finally set a fuckin' date, and it has to be this week.”

Diana sighed. “Now that I'm thinking about it,” she started as the door to their office opened, “the way the two of you blew up so quickly, I think this is a bad week for both of you. You're both obviously over-stressed with too much work and not enough playtime.”

“That's what I think, too,” came Dee's voice from the door.

Ryo and Diana looked up. “Dee, I'm sorry,” Ryo immediately apologized.

Dee waved it off. “No. I am.” He gave Ryo a weak grin, before his attention when to Diana. “And as glad as I am to hear that bitch is finally getting her sentencing, I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can handle facing her this week. It would be hard enough any other time.” He leaned against the door. “However, it really doesn't matter what any of us has to say about it. The final word on whether I should be there or not is up to the Commissioner.”

Ryo tried not to look nervous, realizing that once the Commissioner heard of the arraignment date, he might decide Dee should be there.

“Well, I'll just have to make sure her husband's death is added to her prison time,” Diana stated. “The Hartford and Waterbury police are working with us on reopening that case. I'm expected to go up there tomorrow and pick up all the files they have on that case.”

Both Dee and Ryo nodded. Ryo's stomach grumbled, which made Dee roll his eyes. “And I'm the pregnant one,” he remarked.

“I'm going to get a snack for me and Dee,” Ryo remarked ruefully. “It was a hectic morning, since we overslept. I made sure Dee had breakfast, but I just had coffee,” he explained.

Ryo made his way over to the door and waited for Dee to move away. Dee smiled at him again. “I'm still sorry,” he said.

“I know. So am I.” He leaned close to Dee, kissing him on his cheek. “Play nice with Diana while I'm gone.”

“Yeah. Sure.” Dee playfully poked Ryo in his stomach. “Go get us something good to eat, while I make nice nice with Auntie Sea Hag.”

Ryo suddenly frowned a little.

“What?” Dee asked, wondering what caused the frown.

“Nothing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Are you?”

“So you didn't notice that then?”

“Notice what?”

“When you poked me.”

Dee chuckled. “I noticed I poked you. I poke you a lot, because it's fun.”

“That all?”

“Should there be more?”

“I'm afraid there is,” Ryo replied. At Dee's perplexed look, he added, “Of me.”

“Wha?”

“Dee, am I getting fat?” Ryo blurted out, horrified.

Diana could not help herself and started to laugh. When two heads turned in her direction, Ryo looking annoyed, while Dee still looked confused, she simply said, “About time you realized it, Ryo.”

“I am fat!” Ryo exclaimed in horror.

Dee grabbed Ryo by his shoulder. “No. No you're not. And yes, I did notice you're a little soft down there. That's why I've been poking you a lot lately. I think it's cute.”

“I'm fat and you think it's cute.”

Dee pouted. “Well, I'm fat, and you think I'm gorgeous. So a little sympathy pregnancy weight on you is adorable. It's not much. Honestly. Yes, you have a little bit of a belly, but you're not fat. And I love you, so shut up.”

Diana laughed more.

Ryo went to open his mouth to protest, but Dee pressed his lips against Ryo's and shoved his tongue inside Ryo's mouth. Instead of a protest, Ryo just moaned into the kiss.

Diana stood up. “And this is the part where I go next door, even if I'd prefer to sit and watch. Tootles, cuties. Do come into the squad room when you're finished.”

No response came from the two, except to what the other was doing with his mouth and hands. Ryo had Dee pressed against the door, and stood at an angle so he could kiss Dee around the protruding baby bump and yet still make Dee feel as if he was being pinned against the door by his husband. They did not seem to notice when Diana left them alone.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~

“So tell me, darling,” Diana commented as Dee entered the squad room. “Did Ryo ever go and get that snack for you boys?”

Dee grinned. “I think he was considering passing for himself, but not now. He kinda worked up an appetite.”

Drake looked horrified. “I don't want to know what you were doing in that office!” he exclaimed.

Dee grinned and winked. “Amazing how some things can relieve stress.” He stretched slowly before letting out an “Oomph!” Rubbing his belly, he looked down. “Easy there, sweetheart. Papa will be here with a snack soon.”

Diana laughed. “They didn't go that far, Drake, so relax.”

“How can you be so sure?” Drake asked, looking nervous.

“Easy. We all heard enough times that the chibi settles down and goes to sleep after they have sex. So if she's still active, no sex,” Diana explained.

“All depends on how you define sex,” Dee remarked, amused as Ryo and JJ entered the squad room from the hallway.

“Dee!” Ryo warned, holding two Japanese style stacked lacquer lunchboxes. “Please tell me you're not bragging about our sex life.”

Dee pointed to Diana. “She started. Then Drake. I'm just clearing up any misunderstandings.”

Ryo frowned at Dee. “Behave.” He shoved one of the stacked boxes to Dee. “Or else no mochi for you.”

Dee gasped and cuddled the stack of boxes. “I'll be good.”

“Wise choice,” Ryo stated and gave him a little grin, while the others in the room chuckled. “There might be special dessert when we get home tonight if you continue to be good,” he whispered to Dee.

Dee nodded his head. “Yes. I'll be very good.” He went over to sit down at Andy's desk, opening the boxes. He found one compartment had mochi, another had fresh cut fruit salad, and another with fresh vegetables. The lid of that compartment was just deep enough for Ryo to put some yogurt dressing in for Dee to use as a dip for his vegetables.

Ryo chuckled as he watched Dee, setting his own snack boxes down on Andy's desk. “I'm going to make Dee some tea. Anyone want tea or coffee?” he asked.

“Coffee, please,” Drake said. “Since you're offering the real stuff, instead of what they serve in the break room.”

“Coffee too,” Diana replied.

“I'll help you, Ryo,” JJ commented, following Ryo into the office.

Drake frowned as the door closed once JJ was in the other room.

“What's wrong, Drake?” Dee asked.

“Nothing. Not sure.” He pointed to the door. “Have you noticed that JJ and Ryo have been having these little huddles alone lately? Like in the last two weeks or so.” He frowned again. “They'd get together and then just disappear alone for a while.”

Diana raised an eyebrow and looked at Dee, highly amused. “I believe Drake thinks JJ and Ryo are having an affair,” she commented.

Dee spit out the apple slice he was biting into, and started to laugh. “No shit? That's a good one.”

“You don't think so?” Drake asked. “Well, something is going on between those two.”

Dee looked at Drake like he was crazy. “I don't think so. I mean, I know Ryo is not cheating on me.”

“The spouse is always the last to know,” Ted insisted.

“We're still in honeymoon phase,” Dee reminded. “And other than I know Ryo loves me and would never cheat, I also know that he doesn't spend enough time away from me to pursue a relationship with someone else.” He leaned back in the seat. “I think JJ and Ryo just might be discussing some things.” Dee gave Drake a pointed look. “You know, about the affair JJ's not sure he's having?”

Drake frowned at Dee. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“It means if you must, come over our place tonight and we'll talk,” Dee commented, his eyes shifting carefully to indicate Diana.

“Oh. Well, yeah. JJ and I planned to go see Dana and Jack after work,” Drake replied.

“Perfect. So are we. How about dinner after?”

“Sure,” Drake replied.

Diana looked between the two men. “JJ's having an affair and no one told me?”

“Well, not exactly an affair,” Drake said. “And if he wanted you to know, he'd have told you. Now don't go bothering him with this. It's a touchy subject with him.”

“Fine. I have other ways to find out.” Diana smirked and reached over to grab a pineapple chunk from Dee's fruit salad.

“Just keep those fingers off my mochi or I'll have to break your fingers,” Dee warned. “Obasan sent us some of the most delicious mochi from a `very famous mochi place' in Yokohama.” He grinned and winked. “Actually, it's good enough that I can actually believe it really is a famous mochi place.”

“That's Dee's latest craving,” Ryo's voice came from the doorway. He was juggling carry three mugs. He set two down on Andy's desk, one in front of Dee, and handed the last one to Diana. He sat down in the spare chair and started to open his lunchboxes. “I see you're telling them about the very famous mochi place in Yokohama.” It was a Japanese thing to call favorite places, “very famous” when talking about it, and looked upon the place very highly.

Drake laughed as JJ handed him a mug and then walked over to sit down at his own desk.

“That would be a big yes,” Ted replied.

Diana smiled. “I'm intrigued.”

“He'll never let you get close enough to smell,” Ryo quipped, looking amused. “I'm lucky I get some. But if you really want, I can ask Obasan to send some to you.”

“Sounds great,” Diana agreed.

“Now, can we get an update on what the FBI is working on, and the bitch's arraignment?” Dee asked.

“Sure.” Diana opened her briefcase, taking out files and started her debriefing.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~

When Ryo and Dee returned to the precinct house after lunch, everyone knew immediately that something was wrong, but no one dared ask. They were certain they would find out at some point. Dee looked downcast, and Ryo somber. They were almost at the elevator when they heard Commissioner Rose call out to them.

They looked back to see the Commissioner standing outside the corridor leading to his office. “Gentlemen, if you would please, I have a few things to go over with you in my office.”

“Yes sir,” Ryo replied. He placed a comforting hand on Dee's arm, and led his husband to follow the Commissioner.

Once they were settled inside his office, Rose studied them. “I heard you went out for the weekly visit with Caully. Is this mood something to do with him?”

Dee nodded. “Yeah. He miscarried on Saturday. His parents told us to stay away from him.”

Ryo looked grim and put an arm around Dee's shoulder.

“I'm not sure if it's a blessing or curse,” Dee admitted. “I know it was a result of rape, but the kid seemed like he wanted the baby anyway.” He shrugged and covered his face with his hands. “I would not want to be in his position. Anyway, I managed to speak to him long enough to find out he got sick after his mother made him some soup Friday. By Saturday, he miscarried.” Dee looked up at Rose. “And his parents insisted he gets no medical attention.”

“What about the fetus inside him?” Rose asked, looking pale.

Dee shrugged. “I called Vince and asked. Apparently, it will come out in the plumbing eventually, but it will be painful. Vince believes he probably already had started, and Caully did say he's been in excruciating pain in intervals.”

“It's best if he had the remains removed by a professional, isn't it?” Rose questioned, frowning.

Dee nodded. “Yeah. But it might already be passed.” Dee lifted his head and stared at the Commissioner. “But while most of the uterine lining will also dissolve with time, there still should be a proper cleaning to prevent future complications. “

Rose knew his detective well enough to come to the next conclusion. “You don't believe he miscarried, do you?”

“No. He said the soup his mother made was some herbal blend she never made before,” Dee remarked quietly. He started to pull at a thread on his shirt. “But I'm not sure we have a case. However, I have a suspicion that if Caully was seen by a professional, the truth would come out. So the parents are preventing that from happening.” Dee rubbed his face with a hand. “I don't know. Maybe I'm making too much out of it, but that's what my gut instinct is telling me.”

“I'll have it looked into,” Rose assured Dee. “Meanwhile, there's a couple of things I wanted to go over with you two.”

“Hopefully a day off soon is one of them,” Ryo stated, his arm still around Dee's shoulders in support. “Dee really needs it after this morning.”

Rose nodded. “Yes. I think you'll like what I have to say, but first about the McFadden case, because it's the bad news.”

Ryo's face darkened as Dee braced himself. “Now what about that bitch?” Ryo snapped.

“She did some talking this afternoon, hoping that it will buy her less time in the pen.” He held up his hand to forewarn any protests. “Hold on. Just like any discussions we made to get further information, it will not be considered for her sentencing. However, what she had to say was disturbing. Apparently, we still have someone on the loose. A benefactor.”

Dee's jaw dropped and Ryo stared. “What?” Dee croaked.

“Now we don't believe he is actually killing Carriers, but he did put money, large amounts of it, into Carriers Inc.,” Rose explained.

“So now we need to find out who it is,” Ryo stated.

“Yes. Obviously that will go to your unit. I'll have Drake and JJ start looking into it. Secondly, as you know, McFadden will be arraigned on Friday.”

Both men nodded. Ryo tensed up, fearing the worse. He gazed at Rose, hoping the Commissioner remembered the deal they had stuck the previous week.

“Dee, I know you were asked to be there to testify, but I'm rescinding that.”

Dee looked amazed. “Excuse me?”

“I am making it an order for you to stay away from the courthouse on Friday. Had it been any other week, you would be going. But not this week. You've been overworked and pushed beyond what is comfortable for me. And that was before I found out about Caully. I want you two to finish your reports on Caully, and then hand them into me. Once I have the reports, you'll be off-duty until Sunday.”

Ryo found he could still smile. “Thank you, sir,” he said in relief. “That's wonderful.”

“What about being short-staffed?” Dee asked.

“Andy will be back to duty tomorrow, and I convinced Diana and Dominic to lend a hand for the rest of the week,” Rose stated. “You should have had your two days off days ago, Dee, and you're going onto two more days. So, you and Ryo take them off at one time. Relax, forget about the job, and concentrate on you and your baby. And that's an order.”

Dee nodded. He found he could only feel relief. “Thank you, sir.”

“However, be warned that when you get back, we'll still be short staffed, because I need to start giving the rest of your unit proper time off. But I will make sure that Dee, you have a day off every fifth day, and Ryo, at least that, if not then by the sixth. That will be all for now. Get those reports done. The sooner I have them, the sooner you'll be off-duty,” Rose said.

“Yes sir,” Ryo stated, standing up. He held out his hand for Dee and helped the pregnant detective to his feet. “Thank you, Commissioner. We'll still be thorough with our reports.”

Rose smirked. “Of course, you will. Should I not be in my office when you deliver them, enjoy your time off. And make sure you enjoy your anniversary.”

Ryo's smile grew. “Oh definitely. We will. Thanks again.” He guided Dee to the door.

Outside the Commissioner's office, Dee sagged against a wall. “I can't believe we have four full days off. Too bad we can't just pack up and go away somewhere.”

Ryo smiled and leaned up to kiss Dee. “Oh, I think I have an idea, if you're game. But I'm not going to tell you until we're home. So let's get cracking on those reports.”

“You're such a tease,” Dee commented. “You'll do anything to make sure I finish my reports.”

Ryo chuckled. “Because I know you.” He kissed Dee again and then taking him by his arm, lead him down the corridor toward the elevator.

“I know you too,” Dee said. “Which is why I found it hysterical that Drake started to think you and JJ were having an affair.”

“What?!? Can I hit him on the account of being stupid?” Ryo exclaimed.

“Sure.” Dee grinned.

Even if Dee still looked upset over Caully, it was great for Ryo to hear his laughter as they entered the elevator.

~+~ ~+~ ~+~

Dee collapsed on the couch as soon as he reached it, his briefcase at his feet. Ryo checked the temperature in the apartment, to make sure Dee would be comfortable, and sat down on the couch next to Dee. “We don't have to go out tonight, if you're not up to it,” Ryo said quietly as the other man lounged, his head tipped back.

“No,” Dee protested, but not moving. “Dana seems to enjoy the company. Poor thing is stuck spending most of her time in the hospital until Jack is well enough to leave.”

“Marty went by last night with Darla, Drake and JJ are also going tonight, and Ted said he's going tomorrow night. There's also still Berkeley, Chief and Diana, at the least. Maybe even Andy and Dominic. She'll be fine if we don't go tonight.”

“Just for a little while.” Dee finally lifted his head. “Besides, I like seeing little Jack Jr. He's such a cute little guy. Did you know before Dana came to the 27th, they were considering calling Jack Jr. JJ for short?”

Ryo snorted. “Then she met JJ, huh? Okay, we'll go for a short visit, but tell me why you decided we're supposed to meet Drake and JJ for dinner after that? What are the chances of pulling out of that? I'm all or bringing back take-out for dinner. And I was planning on getting on the computer a little and help Diana out with her house hunt.”

“That was because I had to say something without letting Diana know that JJ and Drake are dating,” Dee replied. He leaned against Ryo.

Ryo put his arm around Dee's shoulders and smiled as he felt the other man snuggle closer, resting his head on Ryo's shoulder. “Oh? Should I be afraid to ask how that came about?”

“Drake was going on about thinking you and him were having an affair because he noticed you two would go off on your own and disappear in the last few weeks. Meanwhile Diana was there in the office.” Dee shrugged. “If Drake ended up saying something to give himself away, that would be okay, but I wasn't about to spill their secret just because Drake was being stupid.”

Ryo ran his fingers through Dee's hair. “I guess you're curious what JJ and I were up to?”

“If figured it had to do with him and Drake. I did notice, but it didn't concern me. I trust you enough to let you have your secrets.”

Ryo smiled tenderly. “Yeah, I did have a couple of secrets. And I'm so sorry, Dee. I didn't think when I originally came up with this idea on how to spend our anniversary.”

Dee lifted his head to gaze at Ryo. “All that secret talking had to do with our anniversary?”

“Yeah. And unfortunately your working so many days in a row. That was a real stupid idea, and I'm surprised Rose let me get away with it.”

“Which idea would that be?”

Ryo took a deep breath. “Andy's kid isn't sick. I managed to switch our days with his and then talked Rose into allowing us to take our next rotation's days off with them. Which is why we have four days off. So we can go away. That was my anniversary gift to you. And that's where those private talks with JJ came in. He was helping me set up our getaway.”

Dee was grinning. “And you really weren't planning on telling me tonight?”

Ryo shrugged. “I realized that was a bad idea too. I'm sorry, Dee.”

Dee shifted his position so he was able to put his arms around Ryo's neck and kiss him tenderly, all the love he felt for his husband in the kiss. “Don't be. You went through a lot of trouble to do something nice for me. And we're home early today, with four days to spend how you planned.” He smiled and placed a finger on Ryo's lips. “So don't tell me. Just tell me what I need to pack.” He started to trace Ryo's lips with the finger. “Now, since it's still early, I recall you saying earlier that if I was good, there would be some dessert when we got home?” He raised an eyebrow.

“I'm not sure now,” Ryo said, his voice teasing.

“Oh? Why not?”

“Because it involves syrup, ice cream and whipped cream. And I'm not sure I should be eating that, considering I need to be losing some weight.”

Dee grinned wickedly and poked Ryo in his belly. “I told you, I think it's cute. Besides, it's only a little extra weight. Nothing like what I'm dealing with, even after I have this baby.” Dee poked him again. “Besides, I like having snacks with you. So, what do you say? Want to make it easier for me to have to get back into shape after I have the chibi, by getting in shape with me?”

“You can't be serious?”

“Oh, I am. Look, as long as you're not running out to buy clothes two sizes bigger, than I say you're still in good shape.” He kissed Ryo's mouth. “Not that should at sometime in the future, you do end up gaining weight, I wouldn't love you, because I would. I'll always love you.”

Ryo smiled at Dee. “I believe you.” He placed his hand behind Dee's neck and pulled him close for a kiss. With Dee's mouth close, he added, “I feel the same. I'll always love you, and always will find you sexy. Because you're the man I love. So if I'll love you if you actually did gain weight, then imagine how much gorgeous I find you because you're swollen with our child? Don't ever doubt how you look in my eyes, Dee. And in return, I'll do the same. Deal?”

Dee sighed and then chuckled a little. “Sure. Deal.” He captured Ryo's lips to kiss him deeply. “Now about dessert?”

“I have an idea. Can we visit Dana and Jack tomorrow before we leave, call for delivery for dinner later, and while I'm at it, I'll call Drake and have a little talk to him. That way, we can have dessert, take a nice long soak, then I'll give you a massage. Then later tonight after you rest some, whatever else comes to mind.”

Dee moved so he straddled Ryo, the baby bump between them, pressing against Ryo's stomach. “You have a way to keep me home.”

“Only for tonight. Tomorrow, I'm taking you away for some sun and fun.”

Dee's response was to kiss Ryo again, his hands starting to explore the known contours of Ryo's body. Ryo easily reciprocated, vowing to make the evening as pleasant as possible for Dee, and also for himself.