Fake Fan Fiction ❯ You Can't Make A Heart Love Somebody ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimers apply to all of us, children. We don’t own Fake or any of the Characters in it. Those rights belong the Sanami Matoh. The song is “You Can’t Make a Heart Love Somebody” by George Straight. Akita forced me to listen to it while writing this bit of angsty fluff.

You Can’t Make a Heart Love Sombody…

“You can’t make a heart love somebody…
You can tell it what to do-
But it won’t listen at all…
You can’t make a heart love somebody…
You can lead a heart to love
But you can’t make it fall…”

I’ve tried. For years I’ve tried. God, how long has it been, since the first time he smiled at me? The first moment I fell in love? I can’t remember. He was only being kind, but he stole my breath from that very moment. I can still remember every detail of that moment, but he doesn’t. He never even noticed me at first. When I fell, I fell hard and I know I acted the fool. The jealous fool-when he met someone who captured his heart every bit as thoroughly as he had captured mine. I knew, but I couldn’t help it.

He was everything I ever wanted. Everything I could never have. God, how it hurt to realize that. He was as unreachable as the sun. And he burned me every time I tried. Most of the time he never even meant to be cruel, but his words were shards of glass that cut my heart to tiny pieces.

I tried to make him love me with a single-mindedness that was comical, at least to anyone who knew me. I’m not usually that determined. But it was like hitting a brick wall. He was a brick wall, for all the notice he took of me, except to be annoyed at me. But I couldn’t help it. He was a flame and I was the moth helplessly drawn to the fire it cannot touch.

I hated seeing him with someone else. I hated myself for feeling that way and, yes, I hated him for loving someone who wasn’t me. It kills me to remember hating him, but I did. I hated him and loved him all in the same breath, and if he had so much as smiled in my direction, I would have gladly run right back to him. All it would have taken was one little word, one tiny smile.

I’m better now. At least most of the time I think I am. Sometimes it’s hard, but I have someone who loves me now. I sometimes can’t believe he’s mine. He’s all the things I never thought I would have and, in some ways, he’s better than what I wanted. He’s patient with me, no matter how off-the-wall I can be. He puts up with some things that would drive anyone else to distraction. I care so much about him and yet sometimes, I can’t help wanting what I could never have.

“JJ?”

“Yeah?”

“You plan on sitting here all night or are we going home?” Drake smiled warmly and lovingly. “I can think of better things to do that sit around this damned office after shift.”

“Yeah, I’m coming.”

And I won’t look back.

“I’ve begged and I’ve pleaded with my heart
But there’s no getting through…”