Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Saber Marionette Fan Fiction ❯ Terrible Things to Waste ❯ Thousand ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm not dead… yet. This one is long but it was a year in the making. Enjoy!
 
You have got to have Soul. But if you don't have Soul, Halibut will do.
 
-The Muppets
 
--------------------------------
Terrible Things to Waste
Part 12: Thousand
--------------------------------
 
The insects of the Sea of Corruption were furious, that much was certain. The low rumble of the forest floor and the swaying of several of the gnarled trunks were indication enough to Nausicaa's trained eyes.
 
The old woman sensed terrible anger from the creatures within the Sea of Corruption, was this work of one of those `Travellers' the young girl and her friends spoke of? Nausicaa glanced at the girl's two strange friends clinging onto the wings of her mehve. Then she turned her gaze downward at the dark-haired young girl, herself, who stared intently at their destination.
 
All three wore the same odd clothing that didn't appear to offer them much protection and they didn't interested in the thickly padded pants and blouses she had offered. The green-haired one, Michelle, had curtly told her what they had would be more than sufficient. How such revealing clothing could be enough, Nausicaa remained dubious but she decided to let the manner go. Did Master Yupa or her other elders have such problems with her when she was that young and stubborn?
 
At least the blue-haired one, Amy, had convinced the others the need for the masks to fend off the poisonous spores in the Sea of Corruption. It relieved her to know these girls didn't believe they were immortal.
 
Another rumble shook Nausicaa from her reverie as large plume of spores ballooned just below. Quickly, she maneuvered the mehve around the scattering flocks of royal yanmas jittery from the explosion. Above the hollowing wind and buzzing of the large insects wings, the old woman could hear both girls exclaim and curse. Fortunately they had a good grip on the wing otherwise she didn't know if she had the same dexterity as her youth to catch them.
 
`I'm sorry everyone.' She apologized mentally to the three girls as she stared at the large misma cloud. Is this what damage these `Travellers' could cause? She shuddered at the thought of what awaited them below.
 
She circled the dust cloud and approached the epicenter of the explosion. As they got closer, Nausicaa could hear the high pitched screams of the angry insects. Every once in a while an insect or a part of an insect would fly right by them. Thankfully Nausicaa spotted an opening in the dense vegetation and quick dove into the decrepit forest.
 
When the branches and trunks thinned out, Nausicaa got her first glimpse of the all out war occurring right in the middle of the Sea of Corruption. Ohmu of all shapes and sizes stampeded towards a whirlwind of insects, plants, and trees. Large trunks were flung with deadly precision at a herd of landgrubs. Ohmu were tossed aside like pebbles. Nausicaa stood transfixed with horror. She now knew she bore witness to something so awesome yet so very, very terrible.
 
`We must stop this madness!' She mentally conveyed to the other girls.
 
`We plan to.' To Nausciaa's dismay, the fool hardy Michelle hopped off the glider allowing its momentum to give her a running start.
 
`Wait!' She called out, but the green-haired girl was well on her way towards the chaos.
 
Quickly landing the mehve, Nausicaa saw the blue-haired girl rush after her friend.
 
`Sorry, Ms. Nausicaa.' She apologized and with a tap of her temple a blue visor blipped into existence over her eyes. `Please allow us to take care of this and keep Victoria and yourself safe, okay?'
 
Over the howling and screeching of insects, Nausicaa distinctly heard someone chanting in a foreign tongue. Amy's eyes shot open alarmed and ran towards Michelle who had her hands raised. Spouts of water burst from the forest floor and coalesced above the chanting girl. The ball grew larger until Michelle aimed it at the center of the chaos. Nausicaa could only stand and watch amazed. Just before she launched her attack, Amy rattled off an incantation of her own.
 
At Amy's command the ball froze solid and dropped to the ground with a pathetic thud. Immediately, the green-haired girl began rounding into her team mate who retorted just as vocally while waving her hands adamantly. Nausicaa couldn't understand a word of their gibberish but it didn't sound like a pleasant conversation.
 
So engrossed their argument, Nausicaa nearly missed Victoria striding past her towards the rampaging insects.
 
`Stop, Victoria!' The lithe girl spun around, the large curved blades of her glaive standing tall next to her. The stark contrast of the girl's pale face and dark, dark violet pools of her eyes struck the old woman. The intensity of the gaze aimed at her made Nausicaa stop in her tracks.
 
`A soul is calling for the Silence.' The absolution in that voice chilled Nausicaa. That voice didn't belong to a child. `As the Messiah of Silence, I am the arbitrator of death and I am obligated to mete it out to those who request of me. If you have the same wish to end your existence this day, I invite you to stay.'
 
Nausicaa's mouth went dry and her hands shook. Ohma, a powerful God Warrior who adopted her as its mother, once proclaimed itself as an arbitrator, warrior, and judge for justice much in the same way Victoria proclaimed herself the Messiah of Silence. The similarities between the two right now terrified Nausicaa. Ohma had been a huge gangly creature that incinerated the Crypts of Shuwa and whose ancestors laid waste to an entire civilization; did this little girl, a self professed Messiah of Silence, possess the same terrible power?
 
Meanwhile, Victoria swiftly resumed her march towards her appointment with the poor soul who wanted to be `Silenced'. Nausicaa gathered her resolve and ran in pursuit, calling to the girl's friends.
 
Hopefully, they could reason with her.
 
--------------------------------------------------
 
“What in the world is wrong with you!?” Amy flinched; she'd never seen Michelle this incensed.
 
“Think Michelle!” Amy tried to put on the bravest face she could. She wouldn't crumble, not when she had facts on her side. “Halebit is the only way we can make it back home. We can't outright attack him.”
 
Michelle glared at Amy from above her gas mask. “Are there any other Travellers here?”
 
Amy shook her head. “I already checked on my computer and I couldn't find any sign of another Traveller within five-hundred miles of here. I'm willing to bet even if we scour the rest of the planet we'd find another one. He's our only choice.”
 
“I doubt he will be more than inclined to honor our request, Mercury.” Michelle replied sharply. “We have only one advantage and we must press it!”
 
A dull pain of pressure blossomed in Amy's forehead. They didn't have time to have this argument! Judging by the ferocity of the creatures converging on Halebit, Amy estimated it wouldn't be long before the Traveller or the entire forest broke.
 
“Attacking him isn't the answer!” Amy implored over the roar of the insects swarming Halebit. “We have to find another way!”
 
“We don't have a lot of options, Mercury!” Michelle shouted back, her fists clenched. “If you have any suggestions, now would be the apt time!”
 
Amy tried to reply when she realized her mind had drawn a blank. All of a sudden, her heart went cold like she had stabbed it with a spike of ice and the shock of panic left her numb. However, her analytical mind went into an automatic frenzy and she furiously began scanning her computer desperately hoping something on it would inspire her. Her breathing quickened and she felt beads of her perspiration collect around the edges of her mask. She was going to fail wasn't she? Her intelligence, the only thing that gave her any advantage wasn't going to be enough.
 
A soft squeeze on her shoulder distracted her from her distressing thoughts and noticed a concerned Michelle shaking her gently. “Amy, don't shutdown on me. Calm your mind and soul. I need you to remain focused. We can do this, okay?”
 
Amy blinked, confused. Wasn't Michelle angry at her a moment ago? Where did this concern for her well-being come from? It seemed genuine enough, oddly. Was Michelle testing her resolve or something? With an unexpected weariness, Amy nodded and gathered her resolve.
 
`Amy! Michelle!' The unmistakable voice of Nausicaa shouted in Amy's head. Judging by Michelle's frown, she could also tell the green-haired girl did as well. `Something is wrong with Victoria! You must stop her!'
 
Both girls blinked and wildly scanned the area, spotting the lithe girl as she readied her glaive.
 
“She isn't going to-“Amy started when several glowing ribbons burst from the base of the glaive's curved blade. To her horror, she could see Victoria had closed her eyes chanting something to her staff. Amy set her computer to analyze the girl hoping it didn't confirm her fears.
 
“This isn't good.” Michelle paled. “We have to stop her before it's too late.”
 
Striking with surprising speed, Amy grabbed Michelle's arm, stopping her in her tracks. Twisting towards her, Amy could see Michelle glaring at her while her visor displayed the results of its analysis of Victoria.
 
“It's already too late, I fear.” Amy shook her head grimly. “The power she's emitting is nearly off the charts on my scale.” She explained. “She already over nine-thousand! Any higher and she's libel to obliterate several kilometers of the forest!”
 
“Then we must get as far away as we can!” Michelle wrestled herself free of Amy's grip and rushed towards the old woman and the glider.
 
`What's going on?' Nausicaa sounded bewildered watching the green-haired girl bristly brush past her. `Why aren't you stopping-' the old woman's eyes widened in horror. `My goodness, what is he doing to the insects!?'
 
Just then, Amy's visor lit up like a Christmas tree as several sensors flashed warnings of the raw energy in their proximity had reached critical levels. Unable to keep from turning around, Amy witnessed as the wall of insects parted revealing the old man in his torn uniform his arms spread wide. His stern hard-lined face tensed with concentration while his intense cold gaze fixed on them. It awed Amy to watch Halebit wrap the entire army of the forest's insects around him like a cocoon.
 
There was no denying it; the Traveller had a plan for Sailor Saturn. Each one gathered their reserves preparing to finish each other off in one blow. Amy wondered who would have the strongest punch. No matter the outcome, Amy knew it would not end well.
 
Looking more closely, Amy realized that not only did Halebit gather the insects to shield him from Victoria's attack but he also reached out with his telekinesis towards Victoria. It appeared Halebit's strategy was to use the insects to take the burden of the blow and then try to use his telekinesis to contain the rest. She had to grudgingly admit the brilliance of his tactic.
 
More ribbons danced around Victoria and Halebit pressed harder to contain them. The shear forces the two drew upon kicked up a stiff breeze that quickly became a full gale. How did Halebit find access to so much raw power to rival Sailor Saturn? It was incredible.
 
`Amy!' Nausicaa voice rattled her head and she turned her attention to their guide. `What are you doing standing there!? Get to the mehve!' .
 
“Amy!” Michelle shouted over the howling wind, she already taken her place on the glider and waved at her. “There isn't much time!”
 
Shaking the stiffness from her legs, Amy leapt towards Nausicaa and Michelle hoping to reach them before-
 
“Death Ribbon Revolution!” Amy's heart stopped when she heard Saturn's destructive spell and her whole world exploded.
 
The floor of the forest shuddered and cracked like glass. Ribbons from Saturn's attack danced about wildly, tearing everything asunder. As Amy's foot touched the unstable ground, she felt it shift and give. As she'd fear, the entire forest was about to collapse and she could see the fright in Michelle's eyes.
 
Then Amy plunged into the abysm as she watched chunks of the forest floor follow her below.
 
* * *
 
Things weren't looking good, if Darien had any say in the matter. Two of the Counsule's massive android soldiers loomed over them as they marched to parts unknown. The Counsule at least allowed them some dignity by not bothering to put any kind of restraint on them after they had confiscated Mina and Erica's transformation pens. Now untransformed, the girls wore the clothes they had on before their daring rescue of Reenie. Was that only a night ago? Seemed more like a million years.
 
Meanwhile, he kept Serena close since out of all of them, she had no way to transform and if they ever figured a way out of here, protecting her would be the highest priority.
 
“I'm sorry, Darien.” Serena whispered as the guards lead them into a large well-lit room.
 
The dark-haired young man wanted to sigh. The poor girl had become rather rescinding and apologetic after their capture.
 
“Don't beat yourself up, Serena.” He answered, taking in the layout of the room they just entered.
 
Serena looked up to him, tears shimmering in her blue eyes. “But it was my plan. If I hadn't been so insistent about it we wouldn't be in this jam.”
 
Erica snorted at that and Darien shot the tomboy a glare before he returned his attention to Serena. “That might be true, but we were going to run into trouble if we wanted to get out of here. So stop beating yourself up about it, okay? We'll get out of this somehow.”
 
Darien quickly took stock of the room now and realized its immense size and circular shape. The only source of light came from flat round luminescent occupying the apex of the domed ceiling. From that source several creases ran down towards the floor. However each crease disappeared behind a rich red colored tapestry which hung all the way to the ground. The tapestries made him wary, they seemed out of place in the sterile white room and he wondered what lurked behind them.
 
A set of five white podiums sat near the back of the massive space on a high dais. Rich crimson cloth etched with elaborate gold patterns draped over each podium. For now that was the only thing occupying the dais and for that Darien was thankful. It gave them time to strategize without the Counsule in audience.
 
“Those wristbands are so cool!” He heard Mina gush. “Do you think they'll give us a few as a parting gift?”
 
“Mina,” Erica snapped, “just, please stop. Ugh. You're hurting my brain. I don't want to hear anymore from you unless you have a plan.”
 
“Aw, but those wristbands would go well my outfit.”
 
Erica groaned and brooded in silence.
 
Curious, Darien quickly examined their automated guards and found that peculiar wristband. The device had a silver band that widened to an illuminated window at the top of the wrist. The window swirled with a deep rich blue display. The colorful item appeared out of place against the dull white skin of the robotic guards. However considering some of the other weapons that hung from the guard, it probably served some kind of lethal purpose.
 
The loud, heavy thumping of another guard's boots signaled that a third automaton had joined their party. Coming through the mouth of the large room emerged the much maligned Tracer with a white stocky guard right on his heels.
 
The Traveller didn't look all that please, which didn't surprise Darien but the lack of bruises and cuts on Tracer's face and body was unexpected. How could he have healed so quickly? It couldn't have been more than three or four hours since he fought the dark brute and he looked like he'd been beaten to hell. It was impossible, Darien swallowed, unless Tracer had some incredible recovering abilities. That possibility bothered him greatly. Darien had speed to his advantage, but his aching jaw could attest that it would only take him so far against someone who could recover from injuries in a small amount of time.
 
Pushing aside the unpleasant thought, Darien noticed the strange limp in Tracer's stride. He appeared to be shuffling even though it didn't appear like anything impeded his movement. Tracer's black greasy locks dangled around his face, but Darien could see the Traveller giving them a quick glare before fixing his fiery eyes on the empty dais.
 
The man suddenly came to stop beside him as if he'd stepped into an invisible wall. Tracer growled and scowled at the hulking android behind him. Darien carefully studied the machine and noticed it thumbing a small slender device. Then looking more closely at Tracer, the light around the Traveller shimmered like he was wrapped in a thin cocoon of steam.
 
It didn't take a genius to figure out the connection between the device in the soldier's hands and the field around Tracer. It only gave Darien a means to set the asshole free. But would freeing Tracer compound their problem? At this point, Darien didn't have much of a choice; this was the only possibility he had at his disposal.
 
Rolling the stem of the rose in his fingers, he determined that they still had options since the Counsule fortunately (or was that unfortunately?) didn't take into consideration that his abilities weren't tied to a magical object like Mina or Erica. Only Amy and Serena knew he never stopped being Tuxedo Mask and so when they demanded he hand over his transformation pen, he made a show of changing his outward appearance (with all the glitter and flash of the others) and gave the guards a rose. Of course he could still produce an endless supply of magically fortified roses but he didn't feel incline to share that little secret.
 
But now he had to figure how to get everyone out of here in one piece and without having to kill Tracer in the process. He mulled on that when five shafts of light burst from the floor behind the podiums. From the bright beams each Counsule member emerged, their white robes making them look very immaculate. Tracer fixed the Counsule with a heated glare just then and for once Darien empathized.
 
As each member took their assigned podium, the shafts of light disappeared. Immediately, one of the men, just right of the old man in the middle, Nairb, he believed, had the transformation pens and the sword. A spark of hope ignited in his heart that made things a little easier for them. Finally, when each one settled into their assigned posts, Nairb addressed them.
 
“We hereby call this emergency Counsule session into order.” He announced, making quick eye contact with each of them. “There are serious charges being leveled against all of you. First, Serenity and her court have been charged with aiding in the escape of a prisoner. Second, Tracer, you have been charged with illegally accessing the Counsule's Restricted Archives, evading arrest, and spying on behalf of the Society.”
 
“What?!” Serena exclaimed, appalled. “But it's obvious he wasn't involved with the Society! *You* told me he wasn't!”
 
Nairb looked away, sadly. “New evidence has shown to the contrary I'm afraid.”
 
“Serenity, though Tracer cannot escape his punishment for his crimes,” the man next to Nairb added, “we on the Counsule are willing to ignore the charges leveled against you and your friends if you are willing to assist us.”
 
Darien really didn't like the way the old man grinned when he said that.
 
“Wh-what do you want?” Serena stammered.
 
The old man shrugged. “My brother, Counsule Elder Nairb, has already explained our situation with the Church of Serenity. If you will allay their fears about our efforts to snuff out the Society we will drop the charges.”
 
“But-“
 
“And,” the old man said, cutting off Serena, “while you do this service for us we will make sure your friends will be kept here safely away from any harm.”
 
The Counsule member smiled making Darien's blood freeze in his veins. Serena's face grew pale. He could hear a purring, throaty growl from Erica. Mina frowned. The rose in hidden in the palm of his hands felt heavy and he realized just how dire their situation had gotten.
 
“As for you Tracer,” the old man hissed, “you've disappointed us for the last time and considering the lengths we went through to save your life, you owed us big. I'd even go so far to say that you are the Counsule's property.” The Elder's voice rose in volume and indignation. “But sadly you're nothing more than a fancy malfunctioning weapon of mass destruction we've wasted valuable resources on. You're a total God damn catastrophe!” The lithe man slammed his fist on his podium, causing it to tremble.
 
Serena's eyes went wide at the venomous tirade and Tracer's nostrils flared at the barbs spewing from the old man's mouth. Darien almost felt sorry for the jerk. Meanwhile, the Counsule Elder ranted on.
 
“We've given you so many opportunities to prove to us you were worthy of the reputation of your father, the Great General, but you've only confirmed to us how much of a spoiled, immature failure we see in front of us today. Thankfully, we will mercifully end your suffering by disposing of you quickly. I can't speak for all of the members of the Counsule but between you and me I believe your nickname, Burlapen, was well deserved. You truly are a worthless sack of shit as the simpletons in the Community like to say.”
 
“Fuck you Naes!” Tracer screamed.
 
Darien had to hand it to the Elder; he'd never seen Tracer this incensed. The Timelord appeared he would take on the entire world and any other parallel worlds just for the chance to eviscerate the spry man standing among the Counsule.
 
The Elder smirked in response. Darien eyed the device in the guard's hand and readied himself. He really hoped by doing this he wasn't making things a thousand times worse.
 
As he whipped his hand around the large guard behind him reacted faster than he anticipated, shoving him. Despite being off balanced, Darien's aim remained true and his rose nailed the device with pinpoint accuracy splitting it in two.
 
As he fell, everything moved in slow motion. At first, Tracer moved subtly, crouched down and coiling his body, raising his tensed hand, silvery fluid crawling up past the tips of his fingers from his forearm. Then as fast lightning Tracer pounced, slicing the guard's head before the automaton had a chance to raise its gun. Its pearly white head rolled away as its decapitated neck rained sparks around its large shoulders.
 
Instantly, the guard that had shoved him went on the offensive. It got off two solid shots hitting Tracer in the arm and side but that did nothing to slow him down. He grabbed the underside of the weapon's large barrel with his claw crushing it like aluminum. All the while, Tracer beat an indention upon the expressionless face of the guard pushing it back as he ripped off the limb that held its ruined gun.
 
“Darien!” He heard Erica yell as she zipped past him. “Quit laying there and protect Serena!”
 
“Hiya Darien!” Mina waved as she rushed by. “Hate to be brief but we're going to get our transformation wands. See ya in a sec!”
 
Darien shook his head at his airy friend and rushed to aid Serena. Behind him he could hear some of the Counsule Elders screaming at each other.
 
“Where are the re-enforcements?!”
 
“I don't know! We've been hailing Avex but we've gotten no response!”
 
“Damn it, someone hacked the system! I thought that AI was supposed to prevent this!”
 
Tuning them out, he raced to his distraught girlfriend who appeared on the verge of tears. “Oh Darien, I never wanted it to turn out like this!”
 
“Halt!” A computerized voice commanded making her gasp in surprise.
 
Darien stopped in his tracks and readied another rose as well as preparing to materialize his cane. He needed to be careful now that Serena was much more vulnerable than the rest of the girls. He eyed the large white guard, its gun aimed at them trying to figure the right way to do this.
 
However before he could even make his first move, the torso of one of the other guards slammed into his opponent. Tracer pounced soon afterward, tackling the bulky android to the ground. Serena jumped into Darien's arms surprised by the animalistic fervor Tracer exhibited as he tore another guard into pieces wearing a sadistic blood and oil smeared grin.
 
“My God, Darien. Is this what he really is?” He heard the disappointment in Serena's voice. But even as Tracer snarled and screamed at the automaton, Serena spoke with growing determination. “It doesn't matter; I'm not giving up on him. We have to do something!”
 
Darien protectively held her close and grimly wondered if they could do anything.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------
 
“Where are you going, Mina!?” Erica shouted over her shoulder still running at full speed towards the old crusty bastards of the Counsule.
 
Peering over her shoulder, Erica noticed Mina had taken a detour to rummage through some remains of one of the guards. Erica snorted in frustration. She had no idea what that girl was thinking, they had to act and they had act now!
 
As swift as the wind, Erica raced towards the Counsule setting her sights on the smirking old man. He definitely was her first candidate for a delivery of pain served personally.
 
“Come closer, young Uranus.” The man beckoned, his smirk never wavering as she clenched her first and sped up.
 
“Oh I'll be there soon enough.” She countered. The old man was up to something and she knew it. She better be on guard.
 
Expecting the Counsule member to have hidden some kind of weapon in the podium, Erica decided to take a more direct attack and disarm him quickly. Leaping in the air, Erica stared down the man and in doing so she just barely caught a brief flicker of static wash over the man's face.
 
`Shit! Force field!' Instinctively, Erica curled up letting her shoulders take the brunt of the damage as she slammed against the invisible barrier. Though her years of training saved her from a broken neck, she still fell to the floor as graceful as a rock.
 
As she laid on the cool white title, Erica heard the raspy chuckles of that man. God now she understood why Tracer hated him so much. Biting back a groan and ignoring the ache in her shoulder, she ran her hand through her short sandy hair and glared at the small old man.
 
“You know you wouldn't last five minutes against me even without my transformation pen.” Erica stated coolly.
 
“My my, threatening the old and meek? Is everyone from your time stream just as barbaric and devoid of such grace as you?” The wry man chuckled joined by the twitter of very nervous laughter from the others. “It's a shame Lady Neptune isn't here. I hear she keeps you on a short lease.”
 
Erica clenched her fist. This man had some gall.
 
“Besides, we might be older but we aren't foolish. We activated the energy barrier as soon as Burlapen started his rampage.” Somehow, he'd produced her transformation in his wry hand and began wagging it at her. “Even if you had this, you wouldn't be able to get through. I'd suggest you just sit back and wait for the rest of guards to arrive to put an end to this farce. It was a valiant effort though.” Then his wistful tone evaporated as he turned to Nairb. “And have you had any luck contacting Avex? For something that was supposed to be hacker proof it sure hasn't measured-”
 
“Excuse me!” Erica blinked in surprise as Mina skipped past her and jumped towards the white podium.
 
As Erica opened her mouth to warn the blonde, it hung open as the girl sailed over the mini ivory tower with the grace of a ballerina executing a flawless grand jete. Everyone watched stunned silent as the airy blonde landed next to the stupefied Counsule Elder.
 
With a brilliant smile Mina waved at the old man. As she did so, the guard's silvery bracelet swung around her dainty wrist like a miniature hula-hoop.
 
“How-what?” The man stuttered, his eyes jerking from the bracelet to the girl and back again.
 
The girl stopped waving and wagged her finger at him. “Hey Mister Naes, you took something that didn't belong to you and that's a mean thing to do. “ She admonished sweetly. “Could you please give those things back?” She asked her brilliant smile never wavering and Erica swore she could see the girl's blue eyes sparkle. “I'm only going to ask nicely once!”
 
The old man never moved the transformation pen still in his slackened grip. He gaped at her like a fish gasping for breath.
 
Mina looked towards Erica and then shrugged. With a snap of her wrist, she swiped the pen and tossed it to Erica. “Oh well, I suppose you'd probably want me to return those things for you considering you've had a busy day. I take it running this place takes a lot out of you.”
 
Erica snatched the pen out of the air when she noticed another object sailing her way.
 
“What the?!” Erica exclaimed as she deftly ducked out of the way of Tracer's sword. Glancing back at where it imbedded itself in the floor, she bristled at Mina. “Hey watch it!”
 
“Sorry!” Mina sang cheerfully before giggling. “It's just that we're on a short schedule. Now if you'll excuse me, Mr. Naes. Venus Crystal Power!”
 
Taking the bright yellow flashes of Mina's transformation as her cue, Erica held her pen over her head. “Uranus Planet Power!”
 
Unlike Mina, however, Erica decided to be less showy about her transformation allowing her clothes to quickly morph into her Sailor Scout uniform without much fanfare. As soon as she finished she approached the dais again.
 
“Oooo, I didn't know you guys had your own karaoke machine back here!” Mina cooed.
 
“No, stay away from that!” The old man sounded very flustered. “It's not a toy!”
 
“Ah, hey, Mr. Naes what does this button do?”
 
“Don't touch that!”
 
*CRUNCH!*
 
Erica could see a flicker of light wash over the area around the dais. The sandy blonde grinned. Mina was truly a force to be reckoned with.
 
She jumped up and landed on top of one of the podiums. Erica had to keep from snickering at the sight that welcomed her. Counsule Elders cowered and trembled in fear while Mina puzzled over a sparking metal accordion that was probably at one point a machine of some sort.
 
“Oh good you're here!” Mina chirped happily. “You're good with machines and the like. You think you can fix their karaoke machine? I think I may have accidentally broken it.”
 
Erica smirked at Mina's act. Finally they now had the upper hand and they could make these conniving corrupted Counsule members answer to all of the injustices they served upon Cindy and countless others.
 
“Counsule Elder Naes,” a disembodied voice announced overhead, “I have detected interference into our communication channels which I have nearly rectified. Do you want me to activate Security Protocol Alpha?”
 
“Oh Lord, it's Avex!” An unseen Counsule Elder exclaimed.
 
Naes wasted no time however. “Avex, activate Escape Plan Sigma! Now!”
 
At his command, the smooth floor beneath each Counsule member opened up like the shutter of a camera lens. Alarmed, Erica tried to grab one of the Counsule Elders, hoping a hostage would give them leverage, but they disappeared below before she could react.
 
As the dark holes sealed themselves, she heard clattering like a tidal wave of pots and pans. Pouring out from behind each of the red tapestries hanging all around the walls were more of those bulky white automated guards.
 
“Oh poo.” Mina huffed spreading her fingers out across the field. “Time to get back to work.”
 
“Yeah.” The Sailor Scout sighed in resignation and summoned her Space Sword. “Looks like we've got our work cut out for us.”
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
She didn't realize she had drifted towards the sword until her finger tips grazed the wooden hilt. The touch was nearly electric as she barely caressed it. It felt so good yet so familiar.
 
The moment she saw the sword fly from Mina's hands she had been transfixed. All sounds of commotion had ceased around her. The trembling of the floor stopped shaking her. All five senses were attuned to Tracer's sword. From the intricate and complicated carvings on the hilt to the jeweled encrusted guard that cradled the translucent silver blade. It radiated the same seductive aura that drew her in much like it had when she had been alone in Nairb's room.
 
She gasped as she pulled the sword from the floor and held it in both her hands. The power coursing through such an alien object surprised her given her exposure to the Silver Crystal. The sensation wasn't quite the same but came close. If anything else, it made her momentarily forget her troubles.
 
“Serena!” Darien's voice jolted the girl from her trance.
 
Wide-eyed, Serena turned to her dark haired fiancé taking in the chaos around them. The sheer volume of those bulky white guards streaming from behind the red tapestries made her panic. She could see Erica and Mina dancing around in their Sailor Scout uniforms slicing through wave upon wave of those guards but very soon they'd be overwhelmed.
 
`There must be something I can do.' She bit her lip and gripped the sword tighter as Darien spoke to her.
 
“Serena, are you alright? You scared me there for a moment.”
 
“Y-yeah.” She replied still recovering from her momentary stupor.
 
Darien held her close and surveyed the battlefield. “At this rate those two won't last long. We need to get out of here.”
 
“I know.” Serena despaired, if only she had her brooch she could help. “I wish there was some way I could help.”
 
Without warning, Serena felt another jolt of energy course through her body starting from her hands and spreading outward. Her mouth gaped at the sudden shock and her head throbbed in pain. Glancing down she could see the sword glowing brightly.
 
“My God, Serena! What's happening to you?”
 
Serena gritted her teeth and ignored her lover for the moment, she had to concentrate. This was nothing like using the Silver Crystal. Groaning, she pushed this strange energy out of her and hoped that whatever it did it wouldn't hurt her friends.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
This was more like it, ripping apart opponents without regard or guilt. When Tracer wretched the glossy white head of the final android, he licked his lips in anticipation tasting oil and lubricant. Who's next?
 
“Avex, activate Escape Plan Sigma! Now!”
 
Tracer cursed loudly as he witnessed those old bastards escape. He seethed at the missed opportunity but what truly pissed him off was that those girls had cost him a chance at revenge.
 
However he didn't have much time to simmer as he now had his hands full with more of those damn bulky, well armed androids. They came pouring into the room like an angry army of white ants. Blindly Tracer punched, kicked, and sliced through whatever white thing that got in his way.
 
“How many of you fuckers are there!?” Tracer grunted in frustration. It didn't matter how many he destroyed another guard would immediately take its place.
 
Typically Tracer loved the chance to bash someone's face in but now it was losing its luster. It also felt like work and that just seemed wrong to him. Just as he was about to say fuck it and make a beeline to the door, the Timelord felt a surge of … something hit him like a shockwave.
 
As this strange power washed over him all the guards went flying as if they had been swept aside by an invisible hand. Spinning around, Tracer zeroed in on Serenity clutching his sword, her twin golden tails of hair whipping about her head. Its translucent blade pulsated and Tracer could feel the hairs on his neck vibrate with it.
 
The sight stunned him. He never knew the sword had this kind of power. True, he'd heard the rumors about it growing up but he just dismissed them. In fact, when he went along with Callide's scheme to steal the sword from Aste Tracer had done it because of nostalgia for Father. Now the sword had another much greater purpose of giving him the raw power to avenge all the wrongs done to him.
 
A surge of indignation rose in him as he watched Serenity hold his sword. He snorted, didn't that stupid bimbo know that sword was his birthright and she dared to show off its power like she owned it. That power should be *his*.
 
“That sword is mine!” Tracer snarled, rushing at Serenity.
 
The tuxedo dork stepped in front of the girl and drew his cane. Tracer smirked and readied his claw to strike.
 
“I'm beginning to wonder if you like having me kick your ass!” He taunted jubilantly happy to fight someone with a pulse.
 
But before the fight could even start, a sword at his neck and a brightly glowing fingertip on his temple stopped him in his tracks.
 
Turning slightly, he saw another blonde girl smiling at him. That smile and the sparkle in her blue eyes sent an involuntary shiver down his spine. “I don't know about him but maybe you could start with us for a change of pace. Hehe.”
 
His male adversary smirked with satisfaction at his predicament which made Tracer sneer. “Letting a woman do a man's job, Pretty Boy?”
 
The tip of the sword dug roughly into the flesh of throat and Tracer could feel the hot harsh breath of the dirty blonde dyke. “If the job is to beat you within an inch of your life then yes it is.”
 
Tracer met her glare and couldn't suppress his smirk and a deep, throaty chuckle. He saw her confusion underneath her fury and was just about to act on the momentary distraction when a horrible metallic screeching sound pierced their ears. It sounded like someone had taken a drill to his brain.
 
The Timelord covered his ears as did everyone else. The head splitting noise came from the large, ornate, reinforced steel door to the Counsule Chambers behind them. He watched transfixed as three white blades carved a crude path two moving up from the floor and the last slicing across the top. As the three paths met, the sound stopped and the thick hunk of metal fell loudly to the floor.
 
Movement from the corner of his eyes alarmed Tracer. The guards still left were scurrying towards them in mass making him realize that the damn barrier Serenity created had dissipated. Screw this, he decided, these stupid kids could run about like headless chickens, he was getting the hell out of here. But what about the sword? Damn it! Why did things have to be so damn complicated!?
 
As he tried to make his escape out the newly made hole, streams of white… stuff burst from it. It moved about like two arms of an octopus smacking the guards about keeping them away. Some bits of the arms flew off and wrapped around them like sticky fly paper preventing them from moving their arms and legs. As the two arms waved about Tracer noticed some of the bits would just flutter off much like paper.
 
“Paper?” He mumbled snatching a piece as it floated by.
 
“I'll have you know that paper is a very versatile medium.” Looking up Tracer blanched as the old keeper of the book shop waltz through the hole.
 
He pulled down the cowl of his thick brown cloak, a mess of graying hair and paper spilling out from underneath. Seemingly amused by Tracer's expression he grabbed one of the sheets that appeared to be dancing around his head and snapped it to attention.
 
“Ah but they are a strange and temperamental mistress. They will only obey their most ardent admirers.”
 
“Briar?” Tracer frowned at the sound of Serenity's voice. How the hell did she know this old man? He couldn't take this anymore.
 
Sneering, Tracer waved his claw at the old man. “Okay, what the fuck Briar? Why the hell are you here and how do you know Serenity?”
 
“Tracer,” The blonde girl squeaked. Who invited her to this conversation? He rolled his eyes, “you shouldn't talk that way to your grandfather.”
 
An eyebrow twitched and Tracer's necked tensed. “Grandfather? How the hell is he my grandfather?” Tracer threw his hands in air. “Fuck this, I'm taking my sword and getting the hell out of here. Fuck all ya'll.”
 
The papers around the old man stopped dancing suddenly as he regarded the Timelord gravely. “Tracer, the sword doesn't concern you right now. We must escort Serenity and her court out of here and get them to safety. I can only hold off Avex for so long.”
 
“Fuck you!” Tracer shouted in fury. “I ain't helpin' them! And that's that.”
 
Again he waved his claw, pointing his sharp index finger at the cloaked figure. “I don't care what the rest of you do, but I'm taking my fucking sword and there's not a fucking thing you can do abo-“
 
In the blink of an eye, the piece of paper between Briar's fingers slapped over Tracer's mouth effectively silencing him. Clawing at the gag, Tracer glared at the old man as his screams of obscenities only came out as muffled groans.
 
Without too much concern for Tracer, Briar made his way to Serenity. “I'm sorry Lady Serenity, for the pleasantries but my grandson never did learn to rein in his temper.”
 
Tracer's eyes went wide at the revelation from the old man. He really was his grandfather? Was he Father's dad? But it couldn't- that's wasn't possible. His mind spun realizing all this time the shop keeper had been a relative. From out of his confusion, fury quickly built. That meant all this time as he suffered and meandered through life without a family this man sat back and watched idly by. Oh no, he wasn't about to let that stand.
 
Upon puncturing the paper, it went limp and fell loosely from his mouth. Not wasting another second, Tracer pounced upon the group and lunged for the sword. He barely had his claw clutching the blade when a roll of paper restrained his wrist.
 
Snarling, Tracer snapped at Briar as the old man yanked and tugged on the other end of the paper whip. “Quit this madness Tracer! Let go of the sword!”
 
The Timelord spit and hissed as the others jumped upon him trying to pull him away as well as giving him a few well placed jabs to the ribs for good measure. It didn't matter to him, he wasn't about to relinquish his hold on his sword.
 
As he pulled and tried to shake off Serenity's guards, his eyes met the terrified blonde's own blue ones for a split second. Her eyes reminded him of Cindy's the few times they had confronted one another. In the back of his mind he wondered if that's how they viewed him, a terrible mindless beast. But as soon as the thought crossed his mind he dismissed it and his resentment bloomed once again. These people thought so low of him to want him dead or, worse, to become their mindless puppet.
 
A hard yank from Briar jarred Tracer from his dark thoughts. Shoving his arm free from whoever gripped it, Tracer took hold of the paper whip and yanked back.
 
“What in the world are you doing Tracer!?”
 
Caught by surprise, the old man stumbled toward them. Tracer smiled and readied to slug the old fool in the face when several strong hands grabbed his free arm. Momentarily distracted, Tracer barely noticed the look of horror on Briar's face as he fell forward unbalanced.
 
Then Briar's hands made contact with the sword and the sword exploded in light. Tracer could see Briar's vacant gaze while the light of the sword engulfed the old man.
 
Finally, the old man snapped back into consciousness and utter one command. “Take me to my Chariot.”
 
Then everything went white.
 
 
* * *
 
Matt stood petrified.  He didn't know what to do as the ruler of Gartland held his saber dangerously close to his frazzled brother's neck.
 
“W-what do you want?”  His voice sounded so scratchy since his throat was so dry.
“I think it's rather obvious.”  The tall man's dark eyes bore into Matt even through the long sweeping blond bangs that hid most of his face.  “I want the Maiden Circuit and their schematics that were stolen from me.”
 
Huddled behind him, Matt could hear his beloved marionette whimpering.  She held on to his arms tightly, (so tight that his fingertips were starting to go numb), and shivering in fear.  For a crazy instant, he felt compassion for Hikari and for some strange reason for once in his life he wanted to stand up and protect her even if it meant jeopardizing his brother's welfare.  However, he quickly quelled the feeling, this was his brother.  David and he grew up together looking out for each other during those trying years surviving on the rough, dry open ranges of New Texas.  Matt wasn't going to sacrifice a lifelong friendship for something as trivial as a *robot*.
 
Yet, as Matt glimpsed at Hikari and gazed into her beautiful hazel eyes and wild mane of chestnut hair framing her pouting full lips he felt coldness in his heart when he thought of abandoning her to Fuhrer Faust.  His head throbbed at his dilemma.  Damn it, he was a scientist not a hero!
 
“I have little patience with vermin like you.”  Faust deep voice rumbled as he flicked his saber towards him.  “Do as you're order or els-“
 
In barely a blink of an eye, the green-haired marionette attacked Faust with her staff.  On instinct, Faust blocked the swing with his saber but lost his grip on David.
 
“And I have little patience with arrogant tyrants like you.”   The Pluto marionette replied gravely as she whipped her head around using her long hair as cover for her next attack.
 
Backpedalling, Faust quickly got into a defensive stance and parried away Pluto's well placed jabs and lunges.  Matt watched, awed by the skill they displayed.  Whoever programmed this marionette was a genius he would love to meet this man and learn everything he could from him.
 
“Matt!”  The scientist jumped as his brother grabbed his shoulder wild wisps of light brown hair danced around his frantic face.  “Quit daydreaming and let's get out of here!”
 
Without warning, a deafening crack bit the air and all three of them found themselves wrapped tight by a red whip.  Despite being heavily damaged, Faust's battle marionette, Tiger, limped towards them, one of its arms hanging loosely to its side while the other had a strong grip on the whip.
 
“I will not fail my Fuehrer again.”  The marionette grimaced and then shouted.  “I have your friends, marionette!”
 
The clattering of metal stopped suddenly and Matt saw the Pluto marionette retreat a few steps from Faust.  Matt squirmed as much as he could squirm in their tight confines as Pluto regarded them coolly and appeared to be evaluating their worth.  Faust meanwhile looked worse for wear, though he didn't look anywhere near as bad as Tiger; he definitely looked tired and very angry.
 
"Surrender, marionette."  Faust ordered, he pointed his saber at them.  "We have your master at our mercy."
 
The green-haired marionette frowned and lifted her staff.  "I am only a servant to the Queen and no one else."
 
Faust appeared shocked for moment before regaining his composure and readying his saber for another round. "A malfunctioning marionette.  She's more of a threat than I imagined."
 
"She's not the only one buddy."  A new voice echoed in the alley as two more marionettes dressed in a similar fashion to Pluto appeared on either side of them.  To his left, a stern looking brunette marionette in the green skirt and collar cracked her knuckles while staring down Tiger.  "You picked the wrong girls to mess with."
 
"One step closer and I'll fry them to a crisp!"  Tiger announced defiantly, though Matt could sense unease and a small amount of fear in her voice.
 
The brunette challenged with a predatory toothy grin.  "I'd like to see you try."
 
The tension in the air was palatable and Matt licked his dry lips hoping that they didn't end up dead after this confrontation was over.  Hell, they were going to die and he didn't even know what these crazy marionettes were fighting over.  Curious, he looked to his right at the raven-haired marionette in the red skirt and collar.  The marionette reacted with cool aloofness to the entire exchange and if it weren't for the fiery glint in her violet eyes he'd believed she didn't care.
 
"Lita don't do anything!"  Cried a small pink haired marionette dressed again in that odd costume except for her much cheerier pink and red color scheme. “We don't want anything to happen to them or the crystal!”
 
The little one surprised him as he hadn't seen her coming before landing in front of him with as much fanfare as the other two.  He watched the three closely.  Other than the outfits, these three models were very interesting builds.  Though Matt was beginning to wonder, if this many marionettes had Maiden Circuits why did Faust want Hikari's?  Did Shogun Ieysasu possess Maiden Circuits as well?  Despite the immediate danger all these crazed marionettes posed, he couldn't help but be fascinated by them.
 
Wait, what crystal?  He thought frantically for a second before he remembered the necklace he'd fashioned out of a silvery crystal for Hikari that morning.  Then he noticed the anxious look in the small marionette's eyes as it fixated on the shiny round rock hanging from around Hikari's neck.
 
"What in the name of all things golden would you care about a stupid crystal!?"  Matt's brother growled.  "And stay away from us you bratty little marionette!  This is entirely your fault!"
 
"How ungrateful!" The pink-haired marionette scoffed as it wagged its finger threateningly. “I'll have you know that crystal belongs to us!”
 
"Waaaah!"  Hikari wailed in fear and swung away as best she could before Matt felt a hard yank from the whip jerk them back.
 
"Lest all you marionettes forget that I have the upper hand here."  Faust announced, his posture tense clearly still weary of Pluto who hadn't relaxed her guard at all.
 
"And lest you forget Fuehrer van Faust," Matt's heart nearly leapt out of his throat when he saw Emperor Ieysasu's Imperial Marionettes, Baiko and Tamasaburou, land between them and Faust, "you have no jurisdiction in Japoness."
 
Pursing his lips, the Fuehrer of Gartland scowled.  "This is none of your concern Iyesasu.  I'm here to reclaim the Maiden Circuit stolen from me.  There's no need to get your marionettes involved."
 
The green-haired marionette, Baiko, set down a blonde she had been carrying (who Matt thought looked awfully familiar), and approached Faust.  "You realized you have come into this country without properly announcing your presence which is in violation of section 34, paragraph 6, and line 3 of the Japoness-Gartland Treaty."
 
Faust refused to budge and replied defiantly.  "I am hardly intimidated by your fancy words, Ieyasu."
 
"Then perhaps a show of force will suffice."  Baiko closed her eyes and suddenly a wall of pink and red fabric rolled into the alley like a large curtain closing upon a stage.  When the wall stopped, it revealed an almost endless line of pale, black-haired marionettes each one dressed in very traditional looking red and pink kimonos.  Matt would have thought nothing much of them if not for the menacing looking naginata each one held.
 
"Dear God, it's the Japoness Cherry Blossom Battle Marionettes!"  David groaned and slumped forward.  "I'm getting sick of these marionettes."
 
"Now will you comply, Fuehrer Faust?"  Baiko asked dryly.
 
The proud Gartland leader scowled and swiftly stowed away his saber.  "You will regret this Ieyasu."  Matt shivered at the icy tone of his voice.  "Tiger!  Release them!"
 
For a moment, he could feel the whip shiver and then slacken.  With a snap, the thick leathery rope recoiled back to the red-headed marionette.  Matt didn't allow himself to relax until Tiger shuffled past them glaring at them darkly.  If he ever met this marionette again it would be too soon.
 
As the pair walked away, Baiko called out to them.  "And to insure you reach the border safely, a battalion of the Cherry Blossom marionettes will escort you."
 
Faust paused and looked back, narrowing his eyes.  Then without saying a word he and Tiger continued on their way followed by a dozen of the battle marionettes.
 
Matt wanted to sigh in relief but the imposing presence of the three marionettes and Pluto made him wary.  Especially with the way the small pink-haired marionette was eyeing Hikari.
 
"Don't you think this was a bit much?"  The brunette sniffed indignantly twirling her finger around at all the Cherry Blossom marionettes.  "I mean the three of us could have handled the S&M Queen and the Blond Bully easy."
 
"It wasn't for them, Jupiter," Pluto replied somber all the while eyeing Baiko and Tamasaburou, "it was for us."
 
Baiko closed her eyes for a moment and confirmed.  "She is correct.  The Shogun would like an audience with you as soon as possible."
 
Immediately, both the brunette and raven-haired marionettes stiffened.  Jupiter, the brunette, quickly took a stance with her fist out ready for a fight.  "Oh really?  I don't think this is nearly enough to give us any trouble.  You can tell that Shogun of yours we aren't going anywhere."
 
"I agree."  The raven-haired marionette stated softly clasping her hands together, fingers pointing up.  Matt watched horrified, didn't they just finish one battle?  He wasn't sure his heart could take all this excitement, danger, and insane marionettes.
 
Then a set of thin feminine arms wrapped Matt in a painful hug from behind.  "Daddy, I'm scared!"
 
The small marionette looked surprised by Hikari's response and appeared contrite for a moment.  "Raye and Lita hold on a sec.  Maybe we should hear this guy out."
 
"Y-yes.  I agree with Reenie."  The blonde marionette stuttered glancing at Pluto and Jupiter.  "Unlike the guy who just left, Shogun Ieyasu is really a reasonable man."
 
Pluto's eyes narrowed.  "Stay out of this Traveller.  You've caused us enough trouble already."
 
"Puu."  The small marionette, Reenie, sighed.  "Cindy's our only hope of getting home.  Plus you didn't see it earlier but she was able to help us out of a bind."
 
"Speaking of bind," the raven-haired marionette interrupted, her tone sharp and harsh, "I think we've blown our cover, isn't that right Lorelei?"
 
The blonde, Cindy or Traveller or Lorelei or... whatever she called herself looked stricken and paled.  "Well, uh, it's kinda already been blown."
 
"What!?"  Matt cringed at the marionettes' exclamation.
 
"Please do not blame her."  Baiko spoke up again stepping between the blonde and the others.  "We were able to discern the truth with a rudimentary scan of your bodies."
 
"It matters little."  Pluto responded coolly pointing her staff at Baiko.  "We will not be coerced like this.  If your master is willing to use force then so be it."
 
"Come on, Puu."  Reenie begged as glanced back at Matt and Hikari.  "These people are terrified of us.  That's not who we are and that's not what Mama wanted us to be."
 
"Small Lady."  For a split second Matt could see Pluto's cold facade slip slightly before it fell back into place.  Hardening her gaze, Pluto turned back to the pair of Royal Guards.  "Because of Small Lady's desire for peace, we will honor your request and speak with this Ieyasu."
 
Baiko closed her eyes and turned to Matt and his brother.  "The Shogun would like to speak with you as well Mr. Johnston as well as your brother."
 
Matt looked as his brother who shrugged, neither not really sure who the Shogun wanted to talk.  Matt suspected David hoped it was him mostly because he hoped it was David.  What a perfect end to a perfectly strange, bad day.  Starting a brawl, getting attacked by Fuehrer Faust and his marionette, having a close encounter with a team of marionettes that acted more human than he'd ever imagine a marionette could be, and finally having his precious Hikari coming to life.  Speaking of which, Matt became very aware that his marionette hadn't slacken her grip.
 
"Hikari."  He cooed, noting that his brother rolled his eyes at this.  "Please let Daddy go.  We're going to visit with the Shogun."
 
Still, the reassurance didn't sway her.  "But I'm scared, Daddy."
 
Despite himself, Matt smiled at that.  "Don't worry my little angel.  I'll make certain nothing will harm you, okay?"
 
Finally, Hikari let go allowing Matt to see her whimpering face tears threatening to fall out of her eyes.  "Okay."
 
------------------------------------------------------------- -------
 
Where were they taking them?  David wondered.  They had been walking through a forest towards their appointment with Shogun Ieyasu.  Well technically he was being carried there by Tamasaburou while Matt rode piggyback on his marionette (which took some coaxing and promise of sweets to accomplish).  The rest of the marionettes followed Baiko who carried that blond marionette.  He thought it odd but more than likely it got damaged during the brawl in the theatre.  Serves it right.
 
The sky through the canopy of trees burned orange and red from the waning sunlight making David realize just how long a day this had been.  He had no idea Ieyasu had this many Maiden Circuits and how fearsome they could be (and Faust too for that matter).  It scared him that these two men had such power at their disposal and he and Matt had unwittingly had one in their possession as well.  No wonder Faust had gone to the trouble of sneaking into Japoness to get it.
 
David's musing was interrupted when they entered a clearing where a large building sat.  It appeared like a large but traditional Japoness building.  Beautiful red ceramic shingles covered all of the slanted roofs which led his view to the top tower that had a fancy looking point sticking out of it like a beacon.  The bright yellow walls looked refreshing and cheery lined with several slotted windows.  Above the large double door entrance read a sign that said in Japoness, "Japoness Pioneer Museum."  It surprised David he hadn't heard of the place before but then again it looked brand new and he could see some of the leftover construction supplies lying about nearby.
 
"Pioneer Museum?"  The brunette asked as they entered.  "I wonder what kind of stuff they have in here."
 
"I don't know."  The dark-haired one said softly, but sternly.  "But Gods help me if this is a trap."
 
Their leader sniffed but continued on stoically the tick-tacking of its staff reminding him of how fiercely it fought off Faust without much effort.
 
Hikari paused and peered into the darkness beyond those double doors with some trepidation making David wish they had never put that Maiden Circuit in it in the first place.  "Daddy I'm scared!"
 
Of course his idiot brother tried to soothe the thing like it was real person.  God when was he ever going to learn?  "It's okay Hikari; everything is going to be just fin-"
 
Then the lights flickered on revealing a treasure trove of Japoness artifacts and display cases of fancy, glittering things.  Instantly, Hikari bounced around soaking in her surroundings.
 
"Ooo! Daddy, look at all the shiny stuff!"  It exclaimed.  He could hear some of the other marionettes stifling a chuckle at Hikari's antics, but David wasn't much in the mood and the fact they were chuckling really disturbed him.
 
"Everyone, this way."  The two Imperial Guards stood in front of a hallway and beckoned them to follow.  "Shogun Ieyasu is waiting for your arrival."
 
The marionettes dressed in those scandalously colorful skirts shared a look before the brunette nodded to the blonde.  "Can we trust this guy Cindy?"
 
If David didn't know any better there was more meaning to that question than being led on, but he had no idea what.  The way most of the taller marionettes kept their distance from the blonde, made him think there were some issues among the group.  David shuddered at this revelation.  Maiden Circuits were a truly scary thing.
 
Meanwhile, the blond licked her lips and nodded after a moment of contemplation.  "Yes, I'm sure of it.  You have my word."
 
The raven-haired marionette in red smirked coldly.  "Then you don't mind going first then?"
 
The blonde's blue eyes went wide and then narrowed slightly with grim determination.  "Of course.  Follow me, girls."
 
As Baiko and Tamasaburou led them down the hallway, more lights flickered on as well as several monitors below them.  On each of the screens, images displayed an innocent looking blue planet rotating in dark empty space.
 
"Welcome to the Japoness Pioneer Museum."  A narrator announced.  "Earth, or Terra I, was the birthplace of mankind.”
 
Next the screens flashed to grainy images of people dressed in fashions of a different age doing mundane tasks. David wondered how they ever got by without anti-gravity technology. Cars that moved with just wheels must have been a big hassle.
 
The species flourished and eventually it became necessary to find a new home among the stars. Once a new planet was located, the nations of Terra I built a ship that could continue mankind's legacy beyond their solar system.
 
A ship that looked a lot like a gun with curved edges eased around the blue planet. He had to say, the Japonessians sure did know how to animate a scene.
 
The interstellar colonization transport, the Mesopotamia, launched from Terra I three hundred years ago carrying with it a few hundred thousand people frozen in stasis. Its mission was to take those people to this planet and help establish a new home for mankind.
 
Unfortunately, not long into its maiden voyage, the Mesopotamia had an accident.
 
Explosions bloomed on the mock ship on the screen as the narrator continued.  It is unknown the nature of the accident that caused the tragic loss of so many lives that day but thanks to some quick thinking a few survivors escaped to the surface of a planet now known as Terra II."
 
"Wow pretty!"  Hikari exclaimed.  David again rolled his eyes.
 
Now a desolate landscape filled the view showing several men in space suits surveying the land. "The only survivors were six males.  With no females to propagate the species, the six brilliant scientists used their limited resources to successfully make clones of themselves to colonize the planet.”
 
Several cuts of more modern looking images appeared showing men in construction attire hammering away at metal girder, another of men hard at work tilling the land, and lastly one of men looking busy around an office table.
 
“Finally, once the population stabilized, each of the original scientists created different nations to oversee the governing of their clones. Thus in the forty-third year of Terra II's history, Ieyasu the First established the country of Japoness."
 
"Intriguing."  Pluto stated as she barely spared a second glance at the screens, instead focusing on the lit doorway ahead of them.
 
Finally, they reached the end and emerged into a small room decorated simply with flowers and incense.  Scanning the space, he immediately noticed a young man dressed in ceremonial blue robes, his brown hair tied up into a tight oblong bun that stuck up from the top of his head like an antenna.  The young man couldn't have been much older than his late teens as evident of the peppering of hair on his upper lip.  Just behind him was a very large, very detailed painting of a blonde marionette holding a boutique of roses, its large dark blue eyes almost twinkling (an effect that David didn't think could be accomplished with acrylics).
 
The two Imperial Marionettes took their places on either side of him and stood calmly as the man surveyed the group as they entered.  Then his eyes focused on the tall marionette, Pluto, as he spoke.
 
"Welcome to my kingdom.  I am Shogun Tokagawa Ieyasu."  He bowed deeply.  "I must say that your presence here much less your existence is quite unprecedented."
 
"Hi hi!"  Hikari beamed as Matt struggled to quiet his marionette down.
 
Pluto ignored the display and tightened her lips.  "Quite."
 
The young man grimaced.  "I'm really sorry about all the trouble we've caused you.  I hope you understand that my first responsibility is the safety of the people in this kingdom."
 
"But why send an entire army?"  The brunette demanded.  "You could have just asked ya know."
 
The Shogun sighed, exchanging a meaningful glance with Pluto.  "Unfortunately, some of your friends have learned to be wary of the promises of strangers.  Not that I blame her."
 
David narrowed his eyes at this.  It almost sounded like the Shogun thought these marionettes were real.  Before he could contemplate this further, the Shogun continued.
 
"However, my actions were very necessary."  Reaching behind himself, Ieyasu picked a flat round object lying on top of the display case in front of the painting.  Once he held it in the light, David recognized it right away.
 
"This is a Maiden Circuit."  Ieyasu explained.  "This device was a collaborative effort between me, Faust, and Lorelei."
 
"No wondered he knew."  The blonde marionette muttered.
 
"At first we had developed the Maiden Circuits to improve the performance of the marionettes but then the Mesopotamia forced us to modify their purpose."
 
"What are you saying?"  David couldn't take this anymore.  What really was the story here?
 
No longer relaxed, the Shogun stared everyone in the eye and spoke with much greater authority and maturity beyond his age.  "What I tell you must not leave this room."
 
When everyone nodded, Ieyasu set down his Maiden Circuit and exhaled.  "The Mesopotamia was more than just a ship; it was one of the advanced AIs ever created.  Lorelei had pioneered the technology and played a big part in its creation."  Ieyasu got a faraway look in his eyes before pulling himself out of his reverie.  "Anyway, it was the job of Faust, me, Lorelei, and four other scientists to monitor things on the colonization ship as it made its journey to our new home.
 
"The Mesopotamia was Lorelei's main responsibility and over time the AI became more and more attached to her until one day it snapped.  Jealous of the attention she gave to the people in stasis, it captured her and tried to kill off everyone.  Unfortunately, the Mesopotamia mostly succeeded."
 
"Oh my."  The pink haired marionette gasped.
 
"That's so sad!"  Hikari cried.  David snorted in annoyance as his brother once again tried to placate the dumb machine.
 
"That was a very sad day indeed."  Ieyasu agreed solemnly.  "When the six of us landed on Terra II, we had enough technology to sustain ourselves but without females we could not survive on the planet.  So it was decided each of us would clone ourselves to maintain a stable population and each of split off to become our own kingdom.  So all the residents in Japoness are clones of the original Ieyasu and it's the same is true for the other five kingdoms as well."
 
"I don't understand why you're repeating this stuff," David interrupted, "we know this already.  Everyone on Terra II knows they are the clones of the original six."
 
"Ah."  Ieyasu smiled and pointed to the other marionettes in the room.  "But they don't.  Now don't interrupt, you're forcing me to get ahead of myself."  The Shogun rubbed his chin.  "Now where was I?  Ah, yes, even though we could clone ourselves, we knew that was no way to keep genetic order among the population.  We needed females to help grow the population but the only female alive was trapped on the Mesopotamia.  One day, not long after the incident, Faust and I devised a plan to get Lorelei off the ship."
 
Ieyasu smiled mysteriously.  "Since the personalities programmed into the Maiden Circuits were based on Lorelei why not use them as a replacement for her?  That way the Mesopotamia would have what it wanted for the rest of eternity and we'd have a female we could clone to stabilize the population."
 
Then Ieyasu frowned.  "However there was one problem with our plan.  The Maiden Circuits weren't completely developed by the time the Mesopotamia attacked so we were left with several undeveloped or immature AI programs.  They had the potential to become Lorelei but they needed to be nurtured and allowed to grow."
 
"It almost sounds like," the blonde marionette pondered aloud, "you're saying the marionettes with Maiden Circuits are-"
 
"Like children!"  Matt exclaimed.  David cringed, damn it he hated when he got excited.  "It all makes sense now!  When a Maiden Circuit is activated fully it has no pre-programmed concepts, it must learn them as they go meaning the AI's knowledge of vague notions like morality, love, and sadness are more stable and organic making them more human like!  How ingenious."
 
"Meaning," Ieyasu added, "that having a marionette with a Maiden Circuit is a big responsibility.  Like children they need a lot of attention and love in order to grow and mature.  Unfortunately, it appears Faust has yet to understand this since his Maiden Circuit has yet to mature after all these years."  He shook his head sadly.  "However, I'm afraid the Maiden Circuits are a mute point now which is a great pity, Lorelei was a fine woman and scientist."
 
"I-I don't understand."  Matt glanced at Hikari, worry evident on his face.
 
"What I'm saying is that now that there are living and breathing females on Terra II, we won't need Lorelei or the Maiden Circuits any longer."
 
It was hard to tell but David thought his heart stopped for a moment.  Out of the corner of his eye, it appeared Matt nearly fainted.  "What!?"
 
Meanwhile the other marionettes, (except Hikari who was in hysterics over Matt) gaped. 
 
"What are you insinuating about us?"
 
"Unacceptable."
 
"Like hell I'll be your breeding cow!"
 
"But I'm still a kid you perv!"
 
"There might be a problem."
 
While the... whatever they were voiced their complaints like a choir of screeching parrots, David sharp mind clicked into action and quickly clamped down on his emotions focusing on the here and now.  He never got ahead in life by allowing his emotions to get the best of him.
 
Ieyasu raised his voice, nearly shouting, to be heard.  "Girls!  Girls!  Girls!  I meant we would need your DNA to make clones to repopulate the planet.  I'd never think to ask to do *that* personally.  Unless some man took your fancy."
 
"Keep dreaming buddy."  The brunette scoffed.  "We're going home now that Cindy's here."
 
"Jupiter!"  Pluto admonished.  "You've said enough."
 
"There's no need to Miss."  The young man said.  "Your friend Cindy has explained to Baiko some of the basics on how she and the rest of you got here.  I'm not stopping you from leaving.  In fact you're not required to give me anything.  I would prefer that you do this out of your own sense of charity than coercion."
 
"Then I'd say it'd be pretty dangerous to try and clone me."  The blonde one replied as she weathered a rather nasty looking scowl from the quiet dark-haired mar-gir-er, one.  "My kind has a fatal genetic flaw that will kill them in the prime of their youth."
 
Ieyasu listened thoughtfully.  "Which explains the machines in your body that Baiko noticed?"
 
"Uh yes."
 
"I refuse."  Pluto stated with such finality that David thought it might be a matter of life and death to even argue with her.
 
"Ah, Puu, don't be like that."  The pink little one pouted.  "These people need our help.  Besides it's just our DNA.  We give him some of that and we go home."
 
A small ghost of a smile appeared on Pluto's face.  "I don't think you understand Small Lady, they'll have to draw your blood using needles."
 
Suddenly the small child's face turned an interesting shade of green as her face soured.  "Really?  Does have to be n-n-needles?"
 
Ieyasu smiled, chuckling.  "I assure you the procedure is quite painless and quick."
 
The other two, Jupiter and the dark-haired one, appeared to be in a quiet albeit rather heated debate away from the group.  David probably could have eavesdropped but at this moment he just wanted a strong shot of anything to numb his nerves.
 
"By the way, I don't mean to be prying, but how are you going to get everyone home?"  Ieyasu inquired humbly.  "You had mentioned to Baiko you were a 'Traveler' to explain your condition, but I'm afraid I don't understand how it works."
 
The blonde hesitated, chewing on her lip.  "Well, it is simple really I just think of a destination and then I'm there."
 
Ieyasu smiled again and laughed softly.  "That simple?  Amazing beings you 'Travelers.'  Well once you decide about my offer, by all means leave as soon as you are comfortable."
 
"That will not come soon enough."  Pluto breathed.
 
"Um, actually, Mr. Shogun sir," the pink one spoke up, eyeing Hikari, "we can't leave without the crystal."
 
Ieyasu appeared confused at first before raising his eyebrows.  "Ah, you mean the necklace around the marionette's neck?"
 
Hikari gasped and clutched the necklace.  "No!  You can't have it!  Daddy gave it to me!"
 
The pink little brat stomped her foot.  "That crystal belongs to my mother and it's too powerful and dangerous for a clumsy robot like you to be handling!"
 
"Small Lady!"  Pluto reprimanded making the girl obediently go quiet.  David was beginning to warm up to this female if she could make the little rascal behave.
 
However, the damage had already been done as the gears obviously churned in the Shogun's mind.  "Powerful you say.  That would explain a few things about Mr. Johnston's marionette."
 
"Hikari.  H-her name's Hikari sir."
 
Ieyasu appraised his brother and nodded in approval.  "Hikari is a beautiful name.  It's good that you care so much for your marionette.  I'm glad she has a Maiden Circuit because I can see you definitely love her.  However, I am a little concerned about how you were able to activate it since it sounds like you've had this marionette for some time now."
 
Matt chuckled nervously.  "Well you see, I'm not sure myself.  I mean I had purposefully only used a small portion of the Maiden Circuit program because I wasn't sure how a fully sentient marionette would react."  He rubbed the back of his embarrassed.  "I guess we know that answer now.  Hehe."
 
"Hmmm."  A decidedly serious look crossed the Shogun's face that David didn't like.  This could only mean trouble.  "That explains a few things I'm afraid."  The young man began to pace as he thought aloud.  "Baiko and Tamasaburou noticed a large spike of energy earlier today that they couldn't explain and when they scanned Hikari they noticed some strange residual energy readings from her necklace.  Is it safe to assume the two are related to Hikari's sudden activation?" 
 
All the females in the room appeared alarmed, well except Pluto, she just looked more angry than alarmed.  That seemed like a good indication the Shogun had hit the nail on the head.  David idly wondered where they were going to bury their bodies when everything was all said and done. 
 
For some reason, the Shogun didn't share David's concern.  "Mr. Johnston, has Hikari ever been separated from her necklace since she had been activated?"
 
Realization dawned on Matt's face and he immediately panicked.  "Oh my God!  Does that mean that Hikari could, could DIE if they take the necklace away from her?"
 
David groaned loudly and began to rush towards the terrified marionette.  Why did his brother have to be such an idiot!
 
"I don't wanna die, Daddy!"  Hikari cried and raced towards the hallway knocking David to the ground.
 
"Hikari wait!"  Matt grabbed Hikari's arm but only to be dragged by the marionette like a limp wet rag.
 
In the blink of an eye, Pluto flashed into being blocking their path.  "Stop right there, marionette."
 
"Hold on a second, Hikari!"  The pink haired child begged jumping on Hikari's back.  "We'll figure something out!"
 
"Quickly!"  Pluto ordered as she tackled Hikari.  "We must not let the Silver Crystal leave this room!"
 
The other two females joined the scuffle, trying to hold back the struggling Hikari.  It amazed David the three females were strong enough to hold it down.  Despite being strong they had trouble keeping Hikari still as she thrashed about.
 
"Hold still!"  Jupiter shouted as she held down an arm.  "We're not going to kill you ya stupid robot!"
 
Meanwhile, poor Matt had been tossed and pushed around before he finally wrapped his arms around Hikari's waist pleading with her to stop.  As he got to his feet, the blonde Traveller ran past him and entered the fray.
 
"Please, Hikari, there has to be way to get the necklace off without harming you!  Just let me-" The Traveller out stretched her hands trying to embrace Hikari's face.  However, just as she reached the marionette, the necklace flew up into the blonde's hands.
 
All of the sudden, a bright engulfed the entire group and before his eyes, David saw his brother disintegrate into silvery sparks.
 
"Matt!"  He screamed staring in disbelief at the stop his brother just stood a second ago.  It was like his brother and the females never existed.
 
He stood there for a long time, his body numb and his mind uncomprehending of what just transpired.  Where had his brother gone?  Did he go to the females' home?  Was he safe?  Would he ever see Matt again?
 
Turning to the Shogun, David noticed the Shogun now appeared every bit as young as his age staring with the same gaped mouth, wide-eyed disbelief at the empty space before them.  When he met David's stare, he shut his mouth and dropped his eyes guiltily.
 
"I-I don't know what to say."  He croaked sheepishly.  "This was all quite unexpected."
 
David narrowed his eyes and promised himself that he'd find a way to make the Shogun pay for this.
 
* * *
 
Nausicaa slashed and dashed her mehve around the falling pieces of the forest floor in maneuvers she hadn't done since her youth.  She hadn't had time to activate the jet in the mehve as the floor collapsed. Now she fought to keep control of the glider while she tried to reach Amy. Light from above shown upon the large empty caverns below reflected off the glimmering white sand allowing Nausicaa to avoid not only the falling chunks, but also the tall natural pillars that supported what was left of the forest floor.
 
`We're almost there, Michelle!' Much to Nausicaa's relief the green-haired girl didn't raise any objection when she started issuing commands telepathically. The girl was definitely pragmatic.
 
Nausicaa glanced down to see if Michelle was in position. The girl had one arm wrapped around the glider's handle and the other hanging free and ready. Satisfied, Nausicaa shifted her balance and aimed the glider so it had a clear shot at Amy who had her arms and legs stretched out wide. It looked a little strange until Nausicaa realized it had slowed Amy's fall. Rather brilliant girl, this Amy.
 
Focusing her mind, she opened a mental link to the blue-haired girl and was immediately welcomed by a stream of commands.
 
`Ms. Nausicaa, I have located Victoria on my computer and she appears to be unconscious.' She rattled off so quickly it made Nausicaa's head spin. `We don't have time for you to slow down much more. Please have it so Michelle is within arm's reach. I'll grab onto to her as you pass by.'
 
Nausicaa frowned. `It's too dangerous.' She glanced at Michelle. `At my current speed, you'll hit each other with such force that you'll both surely break your arms at least.'
 
As they approached, she noticed Amy had her blue visor across her eyes, paying more attention to it than the accelerating mehve.
 
`Nausicaa,' Michelle voice came unexpectedly, `Amy knows what's she's doing. Just keep this thing on course and we'll take care of the rest.'
 
She didn't protest any further, but her worries didn't go away. What would she do if the two of them fell off the mehve? They were fortunate that caverns below the forest were unusually deep and wide open, but it wasn't enough altitude to catch all three especially if two of them were injured.
 
Grimly, Nausicaa pushed ahead. The next few seconds lasting forever until Michelle casually reached out and snatched Amy as they passed. Both girls grunted upon impact but neither one appeared to be hurt.
 
The mehve gave a strong jerk and Nausicaa struggled to right the wing. `Michelle, get Amy to the other pilot guide! We need to balance the mehve!'
 
`Right.' Michelle replied pulling the blue-haired girl to the other metal pole on the wing.
 
As Amy adjusted, she continued to give orders. `We need to hurry! If we want to have any hope of getting to Victoria we need to minimize our area and maximize our weight so aim the nose as straight down as you can, Nausicaa. Michelle and I will lean far forward to help you gain acceleration.'
 
Not wasting a moment, she pushed down the mehve. When the white purified sands below the Sea of Corruption came into view, Nausicaa became worried. `But, how are we going to slow-`
 
`We're going to pull back as hard as we can,' Amy interrupted, `and hope we can decelerate enough to keep us from crashing.'
 
It was a hell of a gamble and it went without saying. Amy had demonstrated to her in their brief time together her intelligence so she had to know they were taking a huge risk but it was to save their friend. She smiled ruefully remembering all the times she took big risks to save her friends. What was one more time?
 
At Amy's direction, Nausicaa aimed the mehve toward where the child was falling. It had been difficult ducking and dodging large pieces of the crystalline forest floor clapping loudly together like thunder in the hollow cavern. Quickly, the child came into view, her body limp like a doll. They were fast approaching her from above, but Nausicaa didn't think they had enough altitude to catch her in time and be able to pull up.
 
`It's no good!' Amy despaired, her eyes bouncing about reading the odd writing on her visor. `She's falling too fast.'
 
`Let me try something!' Nausicaa replied and immediately reached out to the child telepathically. She'd never done this with someone who was asleep. `Little One!'
 
`Hu-huh?' Nausicaa felt relieved the girl wasn't severely injured in the attack but the relief quickly passed.
 
`I don't much time to explain.' She informed with great urgency. `Spread your arms and legs wide. Pretend you're a bird. Do anything to slow your fall, we're right behind you. When we get close, grab one of the girls and hold on.'
 
`O-okay, Ms. Nausicaa.'
 
Miraculously, by spreading out, Victoria had slowed down her descent considerably and the mehve was racing towards her now.
 
`I don't know how you did it but you did it.' Amy gushed.
 
`We're not out of the woods yet, we still have to catch her and slow this thing down!' Michelle added soberly.
 
That seemed to get Amy's attention. `Okay, once we catch her we'll have to immediately pull back as hard as we can.'
 
Nausicaa tensed as they got closer to each other. The falling debris had kicked up a healthy amount of sand up and it got into her mask and goggles. Her eyes watered and her aching joints complained loudly. She was getting too old to be playing hero.
 
Seconds passed like they were minutes and things seemed to slow down in her mind's eye. Then it happened. She could see the fear on Victoria's face as she reached for Amy and Michelle.
 
`Everyone pull up now!' Amy ordered once Victoria was secured. At once, everyone pulled hard to bring the mehve horizontal once again.
 
The sudden turn of the wing took Nausicaa by surprise. She knew from experience it took a great deal of muscle to make sudden moves on the mehve. It was one of the reasons why she hardly ever attempted many dives on it. As she steered she couldn't help but be amazed by the strength these girls possessed.
 
However she didn't remain awed for long. The mehve was approaching the ground too quickly even if the approach was fairly level, with so many ridged hunks of forest floor already collecting in the sand sticking up like jagged walls, they hardly had any room to slow down.
 
In an attempt to decrease their velocity, she pulled up but she knew a crash was inevitable.
 
`Hold on tight!' Nausicaa warned. `We're going to crash!'
 
`But we're coming in too fast!' Worry flashed across Amy's face. `You're not going to survive!'
 
The old woman nearly smiled at their selflessness. `Don't worry about me. I've lived a full life. Just take care of yourselves.'
 
`We're not going to let you do this Ms. Nausicaa.' Victoria stated with such conviction it warmed her in such a sad way.
 
Then the back end of the wing dipped down and sprayed sand behind it. Just before the wing lurched and launched everyone off, she heard Victoria call out an incantation in her language.
 
A strange sensation surrounded Nausicaa as she flew through the air. Then she noticed the world around her took on an odd reflective sheen. As she landed, it took her back to a time in her youth when she had slid on an Ohma shell. She watched as sand spewed out around her leaving her untouched. She tapped the ground experimentally and noticed something very tough and translucent had encased her keeping her safe as she skidded across the soft purified sand below the Sea of Corruption. Somehow, Victoria's odd spell had protected her.
 
Then to her horror she saw the other girls thrash around in the sand like ragdolls flung by a temperamental infant. Why would these girls sacrifice themselves for her?
 
Without warning, the odd bubble that Victoria had created finally burst flinging her head first into the sand. Jerking her head up from the sand, she watched as the mehve did a cartwheel in front of her face.
 
Spitting out a mouthful of sand, she pulled down her jostled mask and searched for the girls.
 
`Michelle? Amy? Victoria?' Nausicaa called out mentally, groaning as she got to her feet. `Are you alright?'
 
`I'm a bit worse for wear, but I'll be okay.' Amy reported. `Victoria's pretty shaken up though.'
 
`I got her.' Michelle replied. `She'll just need a little time to heal.'
 
Nausicaa continued to survey the area for them, noticing them a good distance away slowly getting to their feet themselves. Satisfied, she decided to see if she could salvage the mehve somehow and get them out of here. As she turned she nearly walked into the staff of Victoria's glaive. She reached for it figuring the girl would want it back when a voice from above startled her.
 
You dare to interfere in my battle, hag?”
 
Peering skyward, she could see an older man floating overhead staring at her with a cold hard gaze. His uniform torn in some places and covered in the blood of insects he had slaughtered. His face was creased with winkles and his expression stern. However, the faint trickle of a black substance oozed from the corners of his mouth, obviously a side effect of the forest's poisonous spores.
 
“I am Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.” She coughed trying to speak for the first time in awhile. “I am the protector of this forest and I will defend my friends.”
 
The old man took a moment to study her before holding out his hand. “Your sacrifice is duly noted.”
 
Nausicaa gasped as her throat constricted choking the air from her lungs. She clawed at her neck trying unsuccessfully to jarred whatever it was that had a grip on her neck. Above, the old man's hand twitched causing the pressure on her neck to tighten.
 
In her mind she could hear the girls panic and she had no doubt they'd be on their way. However she was sure the old man knew this as well.
 
In desperation, she dove deeply into the man's mind. Quickly she discovered his name, Halebit, all the while seeing disturbing glimpses into the twisted man's mind terrible images from fleeting memories most of them involving the shrieks and screams of women. She had no idea what she was searching for but judging by her fading vision she didn't have a lot of time.
 
Then she heard it; a small, timid voice in Halebit's mind.
 
`Set me free.' It sounded so scared.
 
She sought out the voice and noticed it was something contained in a dark recesses, caged away mentally.
 
`Who are you?' She wondered.
 
`I am Nothing.' It replied simply. `Please, set me free and I will put an end to everyone's troubles.'
 
Feeling weaker by the second, Nausicaa didn't think she had much of a choice. Using the last ounce of her strength, she annihilated the barrier erected around this voice.
 
`Yeeeesss!' It sounded much stronger now and much deeper. It left Nausicaa with a chill of regret. Had she made a terrible mistake? `Now I shall put an end to all of this!'
 
Without warning, Halebit screamed in pain and dropped from the sky. In response, the pressure on Nausicaa throat disappeared allowing the old woman to breathe, falling to her knees coughing and wheezing. She was dimly aware of the girls quickly approaching but nearby she could hear the old Traveller howling in pain, babbling to himself.
 
“I am the one in control not you!” He yelled grabbing his chest flopping around in the sand until he finally went still.
 
“Not anymore Hally my boy!” He replied to himself in a much deeper, playful tone as he rose to his feet. “I am you and you are me.” He said as he began to stalk towards Nausicaa. “I am Nothing thus you are Nothing.” Nausicaa's eye widen in horror when he gazed hungrily at the glaive. “We are Nihil and we must embrace the ultimate Silence!”
 
`Quickly, girls!' She communicated frantically. `I think he's trying to claim Victoria's weapon!'
 
`We can't let that happen!' Michelle responded. `We're almost there, keep him from taking it!'
 
Grasping the staff, Nausicaa steadied herself and struggled to her feet. She idly considered pulling up the staff and use it to fend off the Traveller, but barely had the strength to stand much less pull the blade from the sand. Meanwhile, Halebit continued his march as well as his raving.
 
“The Silence must be heard!” He proclaimed causing him to spray out the black tar that had collected around his mouth. “Do not think that you and your pitiful friends can stop me! I am only reclaiming what is rightfully mine! Everything must go back to Nothing eventually! Light to Dark! Chaos to Peace! Everything must reach equilibrium; it's the order of the universe!”
 
Nausicaa stood petrified and stunned silent. Thick black ooze poured from his mouth and the whites of his eyes now almost obscured by more of the obsidian fluid. She had never witnessed a victim react to the poisonous miasma in such a way. She had no idea what to do. She dared not to venture into his disturbed mind again fearing that she'd be overwhelmed by the tide of insanity that ruled the Traveller. His demeanor had deteriorated rapidly, like the cold and cruel demeanor had crumbled like a shell revealing this crazed ranting maniac boiling underneath.
 
Out of the corner of her eye, Nausicaa could see the cavalry had arrived and just in the nick of time. Halebit now stood right in her face, grinning from ear to ear, a weird glow surrounding him.
 
`Oh my God!' Amy broadcasted. `He's powering up! He's trying to escape! Everyone take hold of him and don't let go!'
 
Halebit chuckled as he slapped his hand on top of hers chuckling, his weird glow intensifying. “Looks like we're in for a wild rid-OOF!”
 
Without warning, the other girls collided with the Traveller as the glow flared.
 
Next thing Nausicaa knew they were enveloped in darkness.
 
-End of Part 12-
 
*End of Arc II: Faust's Sword*
 
Arc II: Epilogue
 
Finally, he had everything put away! David exalted for a moment at his handy work. It had taken a few days but he had finally organized his brother's workshop back home in New Texas.
 
Several weeks had passed since his brother's disappearance with that mysterious Traveller and there still had been no sign of him. For the first week he stayed in Japoness clinging to the hope Matt might finally reappear all safe and sound. Alas, it never came to be. Fortunately, the conniving coward, Ieyasu went out his way to make sure David's stay in Japoness had been comfortable, probably out of guilt. Still it didn't make the outrage he felt over the incident of his brother's disappearance diminish.
 
Meanwhile, Ieyasu had to make several decrees to cover up the fiasco with the `marionettes,' one of those edicts being that relationships between marionettes and men were forbidden due to the chance a marionette could malfunction and harm someone like in the case of Hikari and her friends.
 
It had been when David had gone through the temporary shop Matt had set up in Japoness that David couldn't take it anymore and announced he was going back home. Surprisingly, Ieyasu didn't protest at all and even had David escorted to the border with some of his Cherry Blossom battle marionettes along with a healthy stipend to help him buy a nice home in New Texas.
 
He had hoped coming to New Texas would assuage his loneliness, but he found he missed Matt and his quirky observations and weird inventions. It was one of those days as he wandered aimlessly in his new home that he found some of Matt's belongings still packaged in several boxes haphazardly stacked and scattered around a barren workshop.
 
When Matt returned he knew that the first thing he was going to want to do is fiddle with some new gadget he'd brewed up in his head. David wanted to make sure Matt had someplace to go where he could do that. Unfortunately, once he had gotten settled into the place he just couldn't bring himself to organize and put everything anyway. But when he walked into the empty workshop sipping a glass of fine wine, he felt irritated that he'd avoided doing this for so long. So from that day on, David spent a few hours a day opening boxes and putting everything in what he thought would be its right place.
 
Now his work was complete and he had to hand it to himself, for someone who didn't know their way around a wrench he did a pretty bang up job. Matt would be very happy when he returned. As he sat back admiring his handiwork, he heard a loud, urgent knock at the front door.
 
“Visitors?” He murmured making his way to the entrance.
 
Unsure what to expect from the other side of the door, David made sure his rifle was loaded and within arm's reach. Ever since Faust had tried to take the Maiden Circuit from Matt, David had been very cautious even jumping at shadows.
 
Peering through the peephole, David saw a tall muscular mostly bald blond man dressed in a dark blue uniform of the New Texas military. Nervous, he opened the door and the man snapped to attention.
 
“Mr. David Johnston?” He asked in a way that didn't make it sound like a question.
 
“Uh, yes.”
 
The man's hard gaze never wavered as he spoke again. “Mr. Johnston, I am General Louis Armstrong of the New Texas Army. A gentleman has requested to speak with you of the utmost importance.”
 
David peered over the man's shoulder at the dozen or so soldiers standing rigid, gripping their rifles. “About what?”
 
“That is classified, Mr. Johnston,” came the curt reply.
 
“There you go again Louie,” someone barked just behind the General, “go on about classified this and classified that. The poor boy doesn't have any idea what the hell you're talkin' about. Hell, most of the time, neither do I.”
 
General Armstrong frowned and stepped aside, saluting as he did. “President Joy, sir.”
 
David stared wide-eyed as a shorter stocky man, almost husky in build really, dressed in a crisp looking navy blue suit marched into the entry way. Everything about the man screamed `large' from his large mustache framed grin to the large smoking cigar that hung from it. David couldn't believe it; President Joy was standing in his living room. The man was larger than life!
 
“Uh, welcome President Joy, sir. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Despite being stunned, David's salesmen skills were hardly phased.
 
“Ah pleasure, smleasure.” Joy dismissed with a rumbling chuckle, plucking the cigar from his lips. “You're probably wondering why I'm here.”
 
“Yes, well, the thought did cross my mind.”
 
Joy laughed and smacked David in the back with one of his meaty paws knocking the wind out of him. “Well boy, a little birdy told me that the bastard of Gartland wants your brother's hide for stealing a certain peculiar piece of technology.”
 
The President pulled David down the hallway, General Armstrong silently tailing them and keeping a watchful eye.
 
Joy lowered his voice to a conspiratorial volume, though it hardly seemed necessary. “I also hear that brat Ieyasu has something to do with his disappearance. This musta been some very valuable technology for Ieyasu to go as far as to do that.”
 
David narrowed his eyes as his anger returned, still just as raw as it had been weeks before. Then inspiration struck David, he knew exactly how he'd get back at Ieyasu!
 
“Yes, it's so valuable that all the leaders of the world would do anything to get their hands on it.” David replied with a knowing smile, easing easily into his salesmen persona.
 
“It's a shame that Gartland and Japoness have this wonderful technology at their disposal but have yet to harass its full potential.” Joy had a sparkle in his eyes as he waved his other hand about in long sweeping strokes. “To think what a little good ole New Texas ingenuity could do to it if we just had it.”
 
David's smile grew wider. “I think my brother had a drawn up a few ideas in his workshop just before his unfortunate and ill timed disappearance.”
 
Joy returned that smile. “You should definitely hope he did.”
 
-End of Arc II Epilogue-
 
*Arc III: Nihil, Begin*
 
Author's Note:
Can't say much more other than this was a long time in coming. I apologize it took me so long but my life insisted in getting the way. I hope the extra long chapter made up for it. And keep your eyes peeled because this next arc is going to rock as our Travellers jump into new anime worlds and adventure. I'm definitely not finished with story yet.
 
Want some hints? Well the next arc will involve metallic gods, android mothers, and half-demons. :)
 
Big thanks to Meatlips and Orionshadow for their continued support and helping me keep focused during this past year. And of course we can't forget you, dear reader, for sticking around. Please leave reviews and let me know you guys still exist!
 
Soundtrack:
Halebit vs. Sailor Saturn - Thousand by Moby
The Beast Unleashed - Setting Sun by Chemical Brothers
Briar's Theme - Twist and Science by Damscray (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Damscray/)
Welcome to the Japoness Pioneer Museum - Fern of the Planet Sigma by Susumu Hirasawa
Hikari and Matt - Buddha Rhubarb Butter by Soul Coughing
The Caged Voice - Prime Audio Soup by Meat Beat Manifesto
 
Disclaimer:
All original characters are owned and copyrighted by Bastion (c) 2010.
Sailor Moon is owned by Naoko Takeuchi
Saber Marionette J is owned by Satoru Akahori
Nausicaa is owned by Hayao Miyazaki
 
Bastion
07/10