Fan Fiction / Spirited Away Fan Fiction ❯ Spirited Hearts ❯ Kairi to Umi ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Kingdom Hearts is the property of Disney and Squaresoft, and Spirited Away belongs to Mr. Hayo Miazaki. I'm just a fan using them together for a story. As for the chapter title, I think it means "Kairi and Umi" in Japanese. At least, that's what I think.

Chapter 3: Kairi to Umi

The announcement of Kairi/Umi's arrival as a worker was not taken well with the other staff members.

"What?! You can't be serious!" exclaimed a frog- man.

"Look, Maleficent said she could work here, and that's that," answered Kama calmly.

"She'll stink up the whole place!" complained a frog-woman.

"A few days of eating our food and the smell will go away," replied Kama. Just then, Yuffie walked past. "Hey Yuffie!" exclaimed Kama. The girl looked at him. "Take Umi with you, okay?"

"That's a good idea! Dump the girl on Yuffie!" shouted someone.

"No way! You're not dumping her on me!" Yuffie snapped.

"Look, do you want to get in trouble with Maleficent?" Kama asked her firmly. The girl sighed.

"Fine. But you owe me one, Kama. Come on," motioning to Kairi/ Umi, she walked away, with the other girl on her heels. When they got out of earshot, Yuffie turned to Kairi/ Umi, and exclaimed, "I can't believe you pulled it off! You're such a dope!" She waved her hand. "C'mon, let's get you into your uniform." Kairi/ Umi followed Yuffie up a flight of stairs, and into a room. It looked like any other Japanese room, except there were clothes strung upon ropes, and the floor was covered with sleeping bags. Yuffie opened a closet and started pulling stuff out. "Let's see," she said, handing some things to Kairi/ Umi, "Here's your pants, apron, and shirt, wait, that's too big . . ." she started rooting around in the closet.

"Uh, Yuffie, are there two Kamas?" asked Kairi/ Umi.

"Two? I can barely stand one," answered the other girl. "He's Maleficent's assistant, and you really can't trust him. Ah! Here we go." As she pulled out the shirt, she noticed Kairi/ Umi was crouching on the ground. "Is something the matter?" she asked.

"I feel sick," murmured Kairi/ Umi. Then a frog-woman poked her head out a sleeping bag.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

"The new girl isn't feeling well," replied Yuffie, leaning down to rub Kairi/ Umi's back.

*

Meanwhile, in Maleficent's office, Kama and the four lantern-like creatures gave Maleficent one last bow, before she turned around and walked out to the balcony. There, she turned into a great black dragon and flew off, the giant raven behind her. Kama closed the doors and turned out the lights before leaving the room.

*

Umi's eyes snapped open as she sat up and looked around. She was in a sleeping bag next to Yuffie in the sleeping room. Umi groaned and fell back on her pillow. She had been hoping it had all been a bad dream. Just then, she heard footsteps. Covering her face with her sleeping bag, Umi heard the sound of someone coming into the room, and felt an arm on her head. Then, a familiar voice whispered, "Meet me in the Courtyard. I'll take you to your mom and dad."

Umi waited until the footsteps left, before getting up. She quickly got dressed, then tiptoed out of the room and slipped down the stairs. Everything was eerily quiet. Umi walked to the boiler room, where she found Cloud sleeping on his desk.

~ That doesn't look comfortable, ~ she thought. As Umi walked to the lowered dirt floor, she saw the Shadows come out of the holes in the wall, carrying her sneakers.

"Thanks!" she exclaimed as she put them on. Then, she quietly slipped out the door, and ran to the bridge. There, Umi thought she saw a boy her age dressed in black with spiky silver hair. (A.N.: Guess who that is!) But as soon as she saw him, he disappeared. Thinking she was just seeing things, Umi ran across the bridge where she met Kama.

"Come on," he said, taking her hand. Kama took her to a pigpen, where he pointed out two pigs. "There they are," he said. Umi ran to the pen and shouted,

"Mom! Dad! It's me, Umi!" She looked at Kama. "What's wrong with them?" she asked.

"Nothing much, they just ate too much and are sleeping it off. They don't remember ever being human."

"MOM! DAD! DON'T GET ANY FATTER OR THEY'LL EAT YOU!" Umi screamed at the pigs before running away. A few minutes later, Umi sat on one side of the pigpen with Kama next to her.

"Here," said Kama, giving her a bundle. "These belong to you." Umi's eyes widened as she recognized them.

"These are my clothes!" she exclaimed. "I thought they were thrown away!"

"I managed to snatch them," replied Kama. "Now, don't ever come here without me, got that?"

"Yeah," replied Umi, reaching into a pocket and pulling out a card. "Hey! My note! To Kai-ri," she read the words like it she'd never heard them before. Her eyes widened. "That's my name?" asked Um-Kairi (A.N: Ack! Now I'M doing it!) Kama nodded.

"That's how Maleficent controls you," he said. "If you forget your real name, you'll never be free." he shook his head sadly. "I've tried everything to remember mine. He pulled something out of his pocket. "Here," he said, handing what looked like a rice cake to her. "Eat it, it will give you strength." Kairi did so, and found that she started to cry. "Here," said Kama, handing her another one, "You can have this too."

*

Later, Cloud awoke in the boiler room and saw that Kairi was fast asleep on the floor, a bundle of clothes grasped in her hands. Smiling, Cloud walked over to her and put a pillow on top of her body. Still grinning, he returned to the desk and sat down, watching her like a mother hen over her chicks.

~ End Chapter ~

WHEW! That took me forever to finish! Now its review Time!

Charon - (For recent review) You know, they DO look very similar . . .

(For last review) Well, I found that Kairi is the Japanese term for a nautical mile. However, I noticed that Riku is Japanese for "Dry land", and Sora means, "sky". I wonder . . .

Silverbreeze- Thanks!

Charles Xavier- Ok, I'll do that.

FlikFreak- I won't put all the KH characters in, just the ones I can fit into the story.

Anyway, Please read and review!