Fan Fiction ❯ A Bloody Jewel ❯ Part Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Bloody Jewel

Part Five

By Tanya Nonsutoppo

It was a few days after Jek had scared off Bruce, and everything was peaceful in the McKain mansion. Jek and Nan did their chores while Porter watched Jewel as she slept. His wavy, dark hair was brushed but allowed to go anywhere. He wore no shirt and had bandages on his stomach and on his forehead just above his eye. Jewel slowly woke up and saw him. She smiled, then blushed at the sight of him without a shirt, he laughed a bit.

"Good morning Jewel, did you sleep well?" he asked, smiling at her, she nodded that she had, in fact, slept well, "Would you like to go outside for a bit? Nan said it would be alright for a while and that the fresh air will be good for us. Plus it's such a nice day out, why miss it and spend the whole day in here? What do you say?"

She nodded happily, grinning.

"Maybe you should try walking a bit in here first, just in case… I'll help you get up…" he told her, picking her up gently then lowering her feet to the ground, he held her up until she got her balance, "Ok… Now, I'll steady you if you lose your balance… if you can't get very far and start to fall, I'll catch you… ok?"

With a nod at him, Jewel slowly started to take a step, she made about three steps before falling back onto him, already worn out.

"I thought so…" he muttered as he picked her up gently, "I'll have to get Jek

to get a wheelchair for you to use… alright?" She nodded at him and he smiled at her; "I'll get him, you rest a bit, ok?" She nodded then rested her head against his chest, he couldn't help but smile more at her. A second later though, he winced. His injuries were hurting; he put Jewel gently on the bed, then sat down, holding his stomach, "Urgh…" he muttered quietly.

It was then that Jek walked into the room, and, noticing Porter, said, "Mr. McKain you should tell us when your injuries are hurting…"

"I do… They just started hurting though… I'll be fine… Uh, could you please get a wheelchair for Jewel though?"

Jek nodded, "Of course… I'll get Nan to look at your injuries too…"

Before Porter could protest, Jek had left. Porter shook his head in exasperation.

Jek walked down the hall towards the stairs, on his way he heard humming, it was Nan and she was cleaning one of the rooms of the house. He walked over to her and cleared his throat to get her attention, "Nan…"

"Wahsit deah?" she asked him.

"I think Porter's injuries are bothering him, you should maybe take a look…"

"Ah 'k, Ah'll guh seh 'bot it den." She said as she walked out of the room and towards Porter's room.

Jek smiled and went down the stairs and to the storage closet, he opened it and saw the old wheelchair that had belonged to Porter's father before he passed away. He pulled it out and dusted it off before heading up the stairs and to Porter's room, where he could hear Porter.

"Naaaann…!" he heard Porter protest as he walked in and saw that Porter was wearing a shirt now and had new bandages. Jewel looked half amused as she watched Porter and Nan, the latter ordering Porter not to push himself too much.

"Naw ya jus' lis'n awp, yar gonna not pash yarsef tuh mush, gawt it!?" Nan ordered.

"Yes Nan…" Porter said, giving in.

Jek laughed as he entered, "Hahahaha! Porter, Jewel's wheelchair is ready, its at the bottom of the stairs. Think you can carry her?" he asked, humor apparent in his eyes.

Porter nodded, "Of course I can, Jek!" he told him defensively.

"Do you think Nan will let you though?"

"Uh…" Porter said, turning his head to look at Nan pleadingly, "I sure hope so…"

Nan laughed, "Naw ya jus' guh awn an' take her awt, ya kin curry 'er dawnsters!"

Porter gave an audible sigh of relief, "Thanks Nan!" he said as he went to the bed and gently picked Jewel up, "You ready to go outside Jewel?" he asked with a smile. As an answer, Jewel nodded happily. With a laugh, he carried her out of the room and slowly down the stairs to the waiting wheelchair.

Jek and Nan, who were watching them from the stairs, laughed. Jek smiled at Nan, "Those two are quite the pair… I wouldn't be surprised if she survives and they end up together!" he said heartily. They both laughed more before going on with their duties.