Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Colored Holiday ❯ Blood Colored Holiday ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blood Colored Holiday
By: Jennifer L. Bratcher

Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can't deal its so unfair
Gone Away
By: The Offspring


The man in the dream was always the same. Icy blue eyes, strait, pale ash blond hair
like corn silk, a British accent with a sharp temper and an overwhelming protectiveness toward her. She was always the same, small with some sort of gift for healing. It was just that the times and ways of living that changed with her as did her name. His name was always the same, only his title changed. Still, he would always be . . .

Winter, Winter, are you there, the soft lilting voice asked. Winter Mackenzies eyes
opened and she had noticed that shed fallen asleep on her lab books. She ran her fingers through her black curls and frowned.
Amanda Wallace flashed one of her brilliant, friendly smiles. Winter was secretly jealous of the girl. Amanda was tall, voluptuous, beautiful with stunning, long, perfect red curls and huge dark green eyes. The worse thing was she had the personality of a shy, smart fat girl than the goddess that she was. If Amanda had been a raging bitch, Winter would have had no problem hating her, but Amanda was sweet, kind and good and went out of her way to make friends with those who seemed lonely and lost. Like Winter.
Then there was the fact that Amanda was gifted . None of the med school class of 2010 knew what Amanda could do, but she wasnt normal, that was for damn sure. And she was even one of the subjects in one of their paranormal textbooks. It didnt mention anything much, just general information on physics and their powers as well as the powers related to them.
Winter was nothing more than a short average student who had strange dreams that took place during different time periods with a handsome, sharp tempered and over protective Brit with these incredible blue eyes. There were also the more erotic dreams, the dreams that she never spoke of to her therapist and always made her blush when she remembered them. Last were the nightmares, her getting killed by this man with golden hair and matching eyes while he watched helplessly, screaming the names of her various incarnations in the dreams.
The nightmares that she had been having more of lately.
Valentines Day was coming up, a holiday that shed always hated for some strange reason, and the nightmares had gotten worse. As they always did this time of year. Then she found the notes in her handwriting in her textbooks, on her computer, on her pillow, in her underwear drawer that read the same thing: Beware the child of light.
Amanda asked, Winter, are you okay?
She shook her head, not even wanting Amanda, her totally opposite and everything she wanted to be, to see her. Winter lied lamely, I think Im getting something.
Amanda studied her and asked, Are you sure?
Yeah, working in the Peds ward this week and all. I think I caught something from those kids, Winter added, trying to make the lie more convecting.
Amanda shifted in her stool. Winter looked around the dimly lit morgue. She didnt know how she got roped into morgue duty with Dr. Dunn, but she had. Amanda always volunteered for it, happy to help the police and the ME with their mysteries. Winter thought it vaguely morbid.
There was a knock on the door. Winter frowned. Dunn would walk in, humming some sort of morbid rock tune like Living Dead Girl or Iron Man, and say hello to his victims before digging in. Amanda brightened, looking even more lovely as she called out, Come in.
The door opened and in stepped a tall, handsome man dressed in black. Winter frowned and chewed on her lip. She had watched the TV show Highlander when she was ten and adored it. The Lifting of the Cover of Darkness had ruined all of her fantasies about Immortals, vampires, and elves. Still, the guy who walked in could be Adrian Pauls twin brother, except he was taller and his eyes were a muddy green. Not hazy, but too green to be just hazel, but with too many golden brown swirls to be called simply green. His wavy black hair fell around his face like a pelt. A Hunters badge swung freely around his neck.
Trust it to Amanda to date a supernatural bounty hunter.
She smiled at him warmly and chirped, Brandon, how are you?
He bent down and kissed her from where she was sitting at. He answered, Better, Mandy. Then he turned to face Winter with a cheerfully boyish smile. Not flirtatious, just openly honest and friendly. He asked, Whos your friend?
Winter MacKenzie, she answered as he held out his hand. His fingers were long and dark, probably from a summer tan that would never fade. She shook his hand, surprised in the strength that she found there. Then she realized that he wasnt exactly Homo sapien either.
He smiled again and replied, Brandon Night. So, youre a med student too?
Except, unlike Amanda, Im one of Dunns victims, not his prized assistant, Winter replied, rolling her eyes. Then she sighed, resting on one of her lab books.
Amanda frowned at her and said, You dont look well. Ill tell Dr. Dunn that you got sick and couldnt stay.
Winter nodded as she gathered up her books and slid into her heavy coat. Just a few days it had been in the lower 60's and sunny, now they were predicting snow. Ohio Valley weather at its best. She smiled politely and said, Thanks Amanda, I owe you a billion.
As she left the morgue, she heard Amanda say to her boyfriend, That girl just seems so depressed and lost. Shes missing something and doesnt quite know what it is.
Its almost Valentines Day, sweetheart. It bums people out when they dont have someone, Brandon replied.
Winter lingered, wanting to hear what Amanda had to say about that. She heard Amanda disagree, This seemed more eternal.
Like a vampire or Fey? Brandon asked, his tone changing from friendly to alert and cautious.
Winter could see Amanda shaking her head as she answered, Like shes tired, been used too many times and waiting for just that one chance to live happily ever after.
Sighing, even more depressed than before, Winter started to walk to her car. She found herself in the parking garage and could have cursed. She was alone in the dim lights and she had left her pepper spray, her water gun filled with Holy water, and silver nitrate at home on her desk. The only protection she had was from her car keys.
She sighed, her breath making tiny puffs in the still air, and began to walk to her Chevy Metro. Her sneakers made no sounds on the pavement as she walked and it was all too quiet in the garage. Then, as she thought that, a rush of gold had her pinned up against the wall.
She found herself looking into a pair of almost regretful golden eyes framed by a fall of curly blond hair. He had the face of an angel and the body of a linebacker, keeping her held with ease. She opened her mouth to scream, but his large hand easily covered it.
Have you seen him? he hissed at her, his voice veering from angelic too demonic.
Winter looked at him with wide, panicked eyes. He lowered his hand so she could ask, Who?
She was afraid. It was some primal, instinctive fear that was telling her to run, to get the hell out of here. She also knew that she was going to die. Again.
Then she heard the gun shots in the still night. She flinched and closed her eyes as his body stiffened three times, once with each shot. He backed away from her, blood blossoming over his heart and a bullet wound in each lung. He slumped on the ground in an ungraceful arch, gargling up blood.
Then she opened her mouth to scream. She just stood there and screamed. She screamed as she looked at her savior. It was him , the man from her dreams. He was tall, slender with his pale ash blond hair spiked all around his head. He was dressed in a long, black leather duster, tight black jeans, and a Pink Floyd T-shirt. His sculpted, delicate cheekbones were as high as she remembered them, his eyes the same cool, icy, brilliant blue that just seemed to know her in and out, and his lips were still the same sensual line that she felt caressing her . . .
He moved toward her, lowering the smoking pistol. His voice was still held the same British accent, rough and rude Cockney. He said, Come on, pet, we better get out of here before he heals. Normal bullets work better for the wanker than silver.
He held out his long fingered, pale hand at her. She screamed again. The garage door kicked open and Brandon Night strode out, holding a broad sword of all things in his hands. Her attackers body disappeared in a flash of golden light. Bloody hell! he snapped, putting his gun away.
Brandon ran up and placed himself between her dream made flesh and herself. Brandon snapped, Okay, buddy, but I dont know what the hell youre doing here, but I wont let you touch her.
I wouldnt bloody hurt her for all the jewels in the Queen Mothers possession, he snarled back.
Brandon spun the sword as if he knew how to use it. He asked, Now, how the hell am I to know that?
Listen here, pup, he was attacking her, wasnt he, love? he asked, his blue eyes searching her.
All Winter could do was mutely nod. Brandon snapped, Then where did he go?
Traveling between places, mate. Or did you not see the bloody flash of light? he replied, putting up his gun and pulling out a thin cigar. He lit it and took a draw, exhaling the smoke. His eyes shone like a cats in the dim lights. So did Brandons for that matter. Winter was suddenly aware that she was the only human in the garage.
Brandon said, You shot him three times.
He was attacking her, he answered with a shrug, taking another draw. Smoking seemed to be a regular thing for him Winter remembered from the back of her mind.
Winter finally managed, Yeah, he did.
And you just happened to be walking around, looking for a midnight snack? Brandon asked sarcastically.
Bloody hell, he groused as he took off running. Winter watched as he ran to the open area of the garage. Brandon gave chase, brandishing his sword, again looking very much like an Immortal. She almost expected him to shout, There can be only One!
As he reached the edge, he turned around to give Winter one last look. She heard his voice, so much more than his speaking voice in her mind. He told her, Im sorry, love. Then he turned around and jumped off the ledge. As his duster disappeared from view, Winter found herself blacking out, slipping onto the ground.

******
Hed seen her. She was as she always was: tiny, elfin with curly black hair, her same button nose, and her huge, endless violet eyes. Only the style of clothing changed.
He landed gracefully, the cigar still planted firmly in his mouth. He almost chuckled to himself at the sword brandishing Lupine sod back there. He would have if she hadnt been up there. He wondered what her name was this time, if her favorite color was pink, as it always was, if she was going into something with healing, but her being in the morgue had testified to that. She even sounded the same, her light, breathy voice, almost childlike in its innocence.
The vampire known as Static moved away from the hospital. He had known that blasted Light Faerie to be there, already trying to kill his beloved. It was that wankers fault that he was in this whole mess.
He could still hear the curse in his head, May you love someone and lose her over and over again for eternity, vampire. May you known the pain of loss as you inflicted on me and be able to do nothing about it.
Static could still see the faeries lovers face in his mind. He cursed that moment every hour of his waking existence. Her hair had been long and dark, her eyes a nice shade of simple brown. Not a beauty of Fey proportions, but lovely none the less, and her blood was a fine, heady rush tinged with something that the at the time fledgling couldnt describe. Static now knew it to be Faerie Magic.
He still remembered the raw anguish in the golden creatures eyes as he looked at Static feeding off of his dying lover. Static, being an idiot fledgling at the time, had no idea he was dealing with a creature that could kill him without batting an eyelash. He had taunted the Fey in his anguish then, in return, Darius cursed him.
A few years after that, and getting some sense knocked into his head, he had met her .
Her name had been Whitney Kessler and she had been a young midwife. He fell for her the moment he laid eyes on her. At that moment Darius cursed her with being born again and again, only to find him and kill her. And when Valentines Day finally made its appearance in the human calender, he killed her on that date each time, with Static helplessly watching. And the worse part was that Static couldnt break the cycle and simply change her, having her forever, because he loved her for being warm and human, not a blood sucking fiend like he was.
He sighed and ran his fingers through his spiky hair. His love would always be paying for his mistake that night. No matter what he did. It wasnt as if he could go up and kill the wanker. He was a Light Faerie, sort of the epitome of everything he was suppose to fear about them. He could fry Static like a piece of bacon with a grin on his face or warp him to some part of the world that had daylight right about then.
There had to be someone who could help him stop Darius, someone whom he could explain everything to, including the unjust way his love was being treated. It wasnt her fault, she didnt deserve this, but he couldnt help himself. He always was drawn to her when the time was right. He had even tried to refuse that draw to her, but it got to the point he was almost driven to madness and on a plane to Louisville.
He sighed as he stood a good block away from the hospital. He knew she would find him. After all, she always did.
******
Have you no shame? she scolded, amused beyond words.
Tristan smirked at her and tucked a strand of her raven hair behind her ear. He answered, Not when it comes to you, pet.
She laughed again, placing a hand on his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on the crown of her head. She asked, Do you think hell leave us alone this time?
Tristans icy blue eyes looked down at her seriously. He caressed her shoulders and whispered, I hope to God that he doesnt. Im so sorry, love. So sorry.

She was lying on the ground, bleeding, dying, as the pair of golden eyes looked at her sadly. The faerie said, Im sorry. This has nothing against you and I really do wish I do not have to do this, but he must learn.
Hes sorry. He regrets what he did! That was ages ago, he changed, she pleaded with him. The faerie looked down at her and simply walked away, leaving her to her shriek for her Tristan again.

Tristan! Winter shrieked as her eyes flew open. His name, no matter what he calls himself, will always be Tristan.
White hands pushed her back down on the gurney. Amanda said, You need to settle down, Winter. You were just attacked.
I fainted, thats all, Winter stated as she sat up, looking into Amandas dark green eyes. Im fine, she added, trying to stand up.
Amanda frowned and another doctor came up and started taking her pulse rate and checking her pupil reactions. After her vitals were checked, the doctor said, Shes right, shes fine. She just got stressed out. Would you like to tell us what happened, Winter?
Winter frowned and looked down at her hands then up at one of the strange people around her. He was about average height with unruly dark brown hair and dark, intense blue eyes. He flashed a police badge and said in a monotone voice, Im Detective Quinn Frost, from Louisvilles SPF and Id like to ask you a few questions, Ms. MacKenzie.
Winter ran her fingers through her hair and looked around. Brandon was standing there and she could now see the broad sword sheathed on his back. Standing beside him was a small, Asian woman dressed in a red turtle neck and jeans with her long, raven hair in braided pig tails.
The Asian woman flashed a similar badge and stated, Im Detective Ami Li and all we want to do is ask you some things about the attack.
Winter nodded as she was allowed to step down from the gurney. She was led to the doctors lounge and Ami Li placed a cup of steaming coffee in her hands. Ami smiled kindly and said, This may help you feel better. Im more of a tea drinker myself.
Quinn Frost asked, What happened?
I was walking to my car, I wasnt feeling well and Amanda said shed cover for me, when I was slammed against the wall, Winter answered, taking a huge gulp of the black coffee. She normally didnt drink it black, she usually added a bunch of sugar and flavored creamer, but tonight she barely noticed it. In fact the bitter taste was bracing. Besides, she wanted this over as fast as she possibly could. She knew that Tristan was out there waiting for her, hoping to see her.
What slammed you against the wall, Ms. MacKenzie? Ami asked as she took a seat in front of her. Quinn was still standing up, making Winter uncomfortable with his emotionless features and intense eyes.
She shifted in her chair and answered, A man.
What did he look like? Quinn asked.
Winter took another gulp of coffee, her senses returning enough that she winched at the bitter taste and made a tiny face. Ami passed the sugar and Non-Dairy Creamer over to her. Winter smiled briefly and said, Thanks. Ami only nodded kindly as Winter added heaps of creamer and sugar to the hot liquid. She took another drink and looked up at the two detectives.
He was tall, big too, like a linebacker, with curly blond hair and yellow eyes, Winter explained.
Quinn stated, It seems like you got a good look at him.
Ive seen him before, she snapped, covering her mouth before she realized what the hell she just said.
Ami asked gently, Where did you see him before?
Killing me while Tristan watched. Winter answered, You wouldnt believe me if I told you.
Weve seen some interesting things and we are the paranormal squad. You can tell us, Ami pleaded kindly.
Winter shook her head and looked down at her now beige coffee. She replied, No, I cant.
What happened after that? Quinn asked, watching her carefully.
Winter sighed and stated, There were gunshots and he fell to the ground.
Who was shooting the gun? Quinn grilled, still watching her.
She shifted again in her chair and answered, A tall guy dressed like a punk rocker with a British accent.
What did he look like? Ami inquired, smiling softly at her.
Winter bit her lip and answered, Tall, thin, handsome, spiky pale blond hair, high cheekbones, smoked a cigar.
Did you recognize him? Quinn pushed, leaning closer to her.
Winter backed away and nodded. She answered, Yeah, Ive known him before.
Known or met, Ms. MacKenzie? Quinn asked, his dark eyes not leaving her face.
Winter glared and answered, Known. Hed do nothing to hurt me. I mean the world to him.
Can you believe that? Quinn questioned, looking at her.
Winter snapped, Its all I can believe, Mr. Frost.
What happened to the guy who attacked you? Ami answered, steering them back on the events.
Winter made a vanishing motion with her hands and answered, Poof ! He vanished. Gone. Bright flash of light, hes gone. Then Brandon shows up with his huge honking sword and gets into a pissing contest with the guy who saved me!
Was Brandon there before or after your assailant vanished? Ami asked, writing something down on a legal pad.
Winter answered, During. The flash happened as soon as he stepped in. Then my savior fled, jumping off the ledge. Not that Id blame him, with Sword Guy coming at him with a huge honking sword.
Quinn sighed and stated, We dont have any more questions, Ms. MacKenzie. I suggest that you get home and get some rest.
Thank you, Winter stated as she stood up. Within moments, she was back in the garage. She knew Tristan wouldnt be waiting this close; from what she remembered, he was always very cautious when the time called for it with the other ninety-eight percent or so being the most headstrong and reckless person that she ever knew. In any of her lives.
She was sitting in her Metro and pulled out of the garage. She payed the stupid fee and drove out of the hospital parking lot. She drove around the block when she saw Tristan standing there, smoking a cigar and watching her.
She pulled up to him and opened the door. She said, If you wanna get in, put out that discussing thing first.
My cigar? he asked as he looked down at it.
She scowled and snapped, Yeah. Youve known me long enough to know that I still cant stand smoking and Im wondering why the hell you do it because you cant breathe.
He smirked at her and flicked the cigar into the darkness. Hello, love, its been a long time, he stated with a lopsided smile.
She smiled at him and said, Get in, Tristan, please.
Its Static, love, he replied as he squashed his long body into her tiny car.
She looked him over with an overwhelming sense of wholeness. She started to drive again as she answered, Its Winter MacKenzie.

******
Winter MacKenzie, another name that started with a W. Static found himself smiling. Her name always started with a W. Whitney. Wanda. Williamina. Wendy. Willow. Wind Runner in her only Native American life and now Winter.
She asked, What is it, Tristan?
He flinched. He hated his given name. It sounded like something that youd give to a Nancy Boy or something like that. Hed always gone by some sort of nickname in his life, Static being the latest carnation of that. Even though he never minded her saying his name. Her voice was even the same.
She was everything Whitney was. She even looked like her, except for her clothing and the way her hair was cut. That made the pain more intense. It was as if Darius was planning this bloody moment to crush him like this.
They drove in the tiny American car and Winter asked, How did you find me?
Like I always find you, love. Like I always find you, he answered, watching her face in the mirror.
She stated, All of my life Ive felt old and lost and didnt know why. I had dreams, about you, about us, about him , and always wondered what they meant. Now I know that theyre memories and I dont know weather to be happy or go insane.
I could just get out, he replied, not looking at her.
She gave a shaky laugh and grabbed his wrist. She looked into his icy blue eyes and snapped, No way in hell. I remember almost everything. I dont want to be without you. A few nights with you is better than a whole life time without you, Static.
He looked lost for a moment, an expression that she would always remember, no matter what she was named or who she was in any lifetime. What about the bobbies? he asked lamely.
You saw a girl getting attacked and acted on it, Winter stated with a shrug, Ive studied some of the laws involving vampires on what I thought as a whim. Guess I was looking things up for future reference. She smiled brightly at him and patted his arm, letting go of his cool wrist.
He smiled at her, slightly lopsided and defiantly devilish. He always had a sort of Devil May Care charm about him. God, it felt good to be with him again.
He asked, So, where are we going?
My apartment. I want to get to know you, again, she told him with a grin.
Static smiled as well and replied, As do I, pet.

******
It ate at his golden soul. Fed at his supposed light. It haunted him for centuries and lifetimes on end. Darius, Light Faerie, stood on top of the 3 rd National Banks Head Quarters roof and looked down on what was known as Louisville, Kentucky.
Darius sighed and looked at his blood coated hands. It was figurative blood, the blood from all the lives that little girl had led before he killed her. Only to be cursed to find her soulmate and spend a few, brief, fleeting moments with him before a Good creature killed her on means to teach a lesson and, most secretively, get revenge.
Her name, this time, was Winter MacKenzie. She was a promising med student at UofL, going into the field of obstetrics or pediatrics. She was always a healer of some sort, he mused as he looked down on Louisville like a sort of fallen angel. Even though all the fallen angels that he had heard tales about were vial, evil, corrupt, and demonic, still, the imagery to the fallen Fey fit the grim mood he was in.
Darius had only loved Merrie in all of his hundreds of years and then some upstart vampire had to senselessly kill her. Another faerie, elf, or sprite would have just killed him on the spot after beating him to an inch of his un-life, but not Darius, not the heartbroken Darius. He had to Curse the vampire and in turn curse himself to killing an innocent girl.
The thing that made this whole sordid tale more ironic, or heartbreaking, was that the vampire was trying to make up for his evils somewhat, killing other vampires, hunting evil werewolves, saving damsels in distress, as if hed been watching too many of Joss Whedons TV show about that vampire. It also made Darius sick to see Tristan helping someone or trying to kill himself to simply protect Winter. There had been one confrontation that ended with Tristan trying to walk into the sunlight simply to protect his soulmate.
Winter would always be reborn. Tristan died, he would die forever. No coming back. Nothing. Vampires were never reincarnated. They only had their one shot and that was it.
So, Darius, for his revenge to truly work, had to keep Tristan alive. He sighed and looked on.
Penny for your thoughts, an amused voice said behind him. Darius spun around to see a tall, broad-shouldered man with long, raven hair pulled back in a pony tail wearing along black, trench coat standing behind him. The man looked down and said, Damn, this is pretty high up.
Darius studied him from the tips of his black boots, his leather pants, too finally, his huge violet eyes and pointed ears. He groped out at him with his senses and found a power the exact opposite of his own and as well as the feel of an incubus or succubus. A Shadow, he stated distastefully. Shadows were the experimental crossbreedings of Dark Faeries and incubi and succubi.
Oh, like youve got room to talk, killing innocent girls and all, the Shadow replied, crossing his arms and glaring.
Darius snapped, Like you have room to judge.
Well, Ive never taken an innocent life, so, I guess I do, he replied mischievously.
Darius snorted and snapped, Go away, boy, before I decide that I wish to kill you as well.
Magic doesnt work on my freakish kind, remember, Golden Boy? the Shadow responded mockingly.
Darius frowned and asked, Who are you, boy?
Gabriel Umbra. My moms Umbra, if youre curious, he answered as he rocked back and forth on his heels.
Darius nodded and said, So, youre mothers in the Court?
Gabriel raised one perfectly arched eyebrow and asked, Come on, you have to recognize Moms name?
Darius frowned and nodded, Aye, child, I do. I wouldnt think that she would be part of that experiment.
Maybe she fell in love with my father or she was just really horny, he replied as he looked down as well.
Darius sighed and asked, What are you doing here?
I know who you are. My Mom use to tell me the story when I was a kid. She thought it was tragically romantic. I thought it was extremely idiotic, but, then again, my dads kind isnt exactly known for true love and devotion, just seduction and heavy sex. Anyway, she told me that even a skirt chasing devil like myself would fall in love, Gabriel went on, his voice taking a wistful, story telling tone.
Darius snapped, And what does that have to do anything with me?
Well, if some vengeance, justice obsessed faerie was after the woman I love and kept killing her repeatedly, Id eventually go mad, no matter what my senses told me how much more powerful he was than me, and kill the bastard, Gabriel finished with a smirk.
Darius smirked and snorted, Like I should be afraid of a leech?
Ive known vampires that would eat you for breakfast, Gabriel responded with a shrug, Some of them dwell here and for the right price, shed go after you.
Darius laughed, A vampire assassin? Like that Forest every vampire Ive met whispers about? I doubt it. Shes just probably some tale made up to give vampires hope.
Gabriel shrugged and replied, Never doubt the power of a love grief-stricken male. You may find yourself dead.
And I should be afraid of silver bullets too, right? Darius chuckled.
Gabriel smirked and answered, If theyre close enough range with the right sort of pistol, theyd take your head clean off. Never underestimate a vampire. Thats all Im saying. Nice meeting you, Darius. Ill tell Mom that youre not just a fairy tale. With a chuckle, he faded into darkness, leaving Darius thinking about his words.

******

So, do you still like those little cake things? Static asked, making a small, round shape with his fingers.
Winter chuckled over her coffee and studied him. His leather duster was thrown over her pink floral print love seat and he was sitting in all of his punked out black glory on her matching sofa. He seemed so out of place here, but then again, he seemed right at home.
She didnt realize how much she missed him until the memories hit and there he was, holding a Colt Peacemaker, the only gun hed ever owned, and shooting Darius to protect her. Now he was sitting in her chipper, pink apartment, drinking a cup of French Vanilla coffee and she couldnt be happier. His tales were amazing and filled with a wiry sort of street rat Brit humor.
Then she realized the question that hed asked her. She chuckled and stated, Ive found something better. 21 st century and all you know. Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
Bloody hell, just rot my fangs out of my head, why dont you? he retorted, rolling his eyes.
She chuckled and looked down at her coffee. Then she looked up at her clock. They had gotten here around 9:25 and it was now 1:03 by her DVD players clock. He looked at her and reached out to stroke a tendril of black hair from her face.
God, youre beautiful, he murmured, suddenly his face was inches from hers. Her heart sped up and memory couldnt compare with the sudden feel of his chilled lips against hers. His lips were cool, yes, but like soft, silk, not hot, bruising and demanding, but soft and cool, like kissing a fine silk blanket, but much more intense.
His fingers ran through her hair as he lightly kissed her, waiting for her to respond. She did. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back, until the kiss grew and intensified. There was the cool silken feeling of his lips and then there was her. She had heat, warmth, impatience. He had forever. She maybe had a few more days left.
He was addictive, tasting like smoke and blood and things that she would never have a name for. The dreams that left her blushing in memory seemed to pale to this once, soft, intense kiss. No wonder vampires are thought of as seducers, Winter thought dizzily as he parted from her kiss.
Static said, Its late. Youve gotta get some rest. School and saving people and all.
He was trying to be noble. Dont go, she pleaded as he stood up, grabbing his wrist.
He gently traced the back of her wrist with his thumb. He smiled and bent down, kissing the crown of her head. He stated, Love, theres tomorrow night and I have to get to my hiding place.
Tomorrow, when, Tristan, please? she begged, feeling elated yet foolish at the same time. She needed him. She couldnt bear to be apart from him. All of the books she read where the reincarnated girl tried to fight the feelings she harbored for her immortal were wrong. All Winter wanted was him. All she ever wanted was him.
He gently pried her fingers off of him and said, How about I pick you up at your clinicals?
Dont have them tomorrow. I just have class, she stated, How about I meet you at City Light Cafe on 12 th street? After sundown? How does that sound?
Static gave another one of his infamous grins as he stated, Good enough for me, love. Tomorrow night.
Tomorrow night, she said sadly, leaning back in her seat.
He smiled and said, Until then, love.
Good bye, Static, she stated as she watched him slide into his duster and leave. Tomorrow night seemed like such a long time from now. Too long.

******
Wow, Winter, you clean up nicely, the appreciative male voice told her as a pair of pale blue eyes looked her over.
Kenny Walthers was a lich of the highest order. He hit on almost any of the pretty girls in the class and usually slept with them and just dumped them to move onto the next target. He never payed her any attention. Few guys ever did. Winter could count on one hand the number of boyfriends shed had over the years in this lifetime. They always seemed to pale against her Dream Man and now that Static, Tristan, whatever he called himself, was real, anyone else was trash to her. Even Mr. Adrian Paul Lookalike.
She looked up at him. It wasnt that he was handsome, he was and he knew it, but he was also a jerk. She asked, What do you want?
Man, Winter, cant a guy come over and talk to you? I was just saying that you looked really nice, he answered, flashing a false Matt Damon-esque smile.
She looked down at her hands and realized she was being unreasonable. Except Amanda Wallace was coming to her defense. Well, she knows better to hang around with lowlife scum like you, she hissed, her voice betraying somewhat of a Scotch accent.
Winter tried to inch away from the fighting med students. Kenny had been trying to get into Amandas pants since he saw her five foot eight, curvy form stuffed into her jeans and a white T-shirt. Amanda had other ideas. So, being the only girl that ever rejected Kenny, he tried to spread rumors about her being a witch or whatnot.
Despite the fact that most of the time Amanda was sweet, gentle, and just the best sort of person you could get to know, she was still a redhead and had the temper to match.
Kenny smirked and stated, Or are you just protecting your girlfriend?
What? Amanda spat. Winter gasped, offended. Still, it wasnt really in her nature to say some really scathing remark. But, shed been getting all of her memories back and all the insults that she heard Static spout over the years.
Bloody wanker! Winter snapped at him, standing up from her seat.
All eyes turned to her. Even the professors eyes from where he was grading papers found their way toward the petite brunette. She blushed and looked down at her text book.
Excellently spoken, Amanda stated as she sat down beside her, flashing another one of those killer smiles.
Kenny looked confused as he murmured to himself, Whats a wanker?

******
If he had breathed, his breath would have caught the moment he walked into the crowded cafe. Winter was sitting there, sipping on an obscenely large mug of cappuccino, under one of the dimmed lights. Her curly black hair was pulled back from her face but managed to curl down her shoulders, contrasting nicely with the pink velvet shirt that she was wearing. Pink earrings twinkled in her ears as she moved up from the foamy beverage.
Static moved faster than an eye blink and sat in front of her. She had a smudge of white foam staining her pert little nose. She smiled brightly and exclaimed, Static!
He didnt answer her; he simply leaned over and kissed the sugared foamed milk from her nose. He pulled back and smiled at her. She giggled as she reached over for his hand. Static whispered, Good to see you.
She leaned over and kissed his cheek. She replied, Good to see you.
They just stared at each other for a few moments until Winter finally asked, Now what?
What do you want to do? he asked, watching her.
She stood up and yanked on his wrist. He stood up as well, smiling softly. Winter smiled as she answered, Well, lets just see where the night takes us.
Good enough for me.

******
The movie was a fun, senseless kung-fu fic. Dinner consisted of hamburgers and double thick chocolate milk shakes. Then the real fun started. Static had brought her up to the top of the 2 nd Street bridge despite her protests, holding onto her hand the whole time that he climbed. They sat on the top of the cold metal structure, looking at Louisville and neighboring Jeffersonville. From up here, both cities seemed peaceful and bright, like new jewels.
Winter shivered in the cold and Static took off his leather duster and wrapped it around her shoulders. He asked, Better, pet?
Much, thank you, she answered as she wrapped it tightly around her. The leather was doing a decent job of warding off the chill.
Static asked, So, what do you think?
Were high up, very high up, with a freezing cold river beneath us and on the top of a bridge, she answered as she looked around. She smiled and added, Its peaceful and beautiful. Just really high up.
Static wrapped one slender arm around her and pulled her close. She rested her head against his chest, noticing that there was no heart beating there. She knew that he wasnt human, but he had been, just a very long time go. Still, the differences were amazing and the fact that he was dead, but walking and talking was a scientific impossibility.
But then again, there was a reason why vampires were called supernatural.
She looked up into his icy blue eyes and said, Take me home.
Sure, love, he stated, maneuvering so she could climb on his back. She did hear the note of disappointment there in his voice.
She rubbed his slender shoulders and stated, Spend the night with me.
Winter, love, my dearest darling gel, you dont know what youre asking, he replied, his icy eyes widening.
Winter touched his hollow cheeks and ran a finger over his chilled lips. She saw his throat constrict as he swallowed. She kissed him lightly, gently stroking his face. She assured him, Yes, I do.

******
Winters alarm clock blared pop music by some boy band that sounded all the same. She slowly opened her eyes to remember where she was. Her cheek was pressed against cool, hard flesh. She sat up, winching slightly in pain, as she met Statics icy blue eyes.
He smiled warmly at her as he brushed a strand of raven hair from her eyes. His own pale hair was mussed all over his head haphazardly to the many times she ran her fingers through it as she cried out his name last night. Static purred, Good morning love.
I thought all vampires like . . . I dunno, died during the day? Winter asked snuggling into his cool body. His arms wrapped tighter around her as he lightly kissed the crown of her head.
His smile was mischievous as he looked toward the few beams of sunlight leaking through her heavy rose curtains in her bedroom. He answered, The older you are, the less time you need to spend Sleeping, love. Around noon though I wouldnt be able to stay awake if my unlife depended on it.
Winter made idle circles on his chest with her finger. She told him, Ive got clinicals today.
He nodded as he kissed the crown of her head again. His teasing expression softened as he asked, How are you?
Great. Last night . . . Winter blushed in the memory.
Static stroked her hair as he asked, I didnt hurt you, did I?
Im a little sore, but . . . she giggled, happy and content, Thats to be expected.
He held her and asked, How long before youve gotta go?
Sighing, she detangled herself from his pale embrace. She looked at him sitting up in her bed, his pale ash blond hair sticking up wildly, the defined muscles in his chest and arms moving slightly as he shifted his weight on the bed, and the happy look in those extraordinary blue eyes.
She was surprised slightly that she felt comfortable enough not to cover up in front of him. Then again, last night would have washed away any shyness that I had, Winter thought, blushing and giggling again.
Im glad that you liked it too, love, he purred, resting his head on her headboard.
Winter asked, Are you reading my thoughts?
Love, I cant help reading them when youre broadcasting them like a bloody satellite dish, Static retorted with a sly grin.
She reached over and threw a pillow at his face. She turned away from him and stated, Ive gotta shower and get to class. Behave yourself today and Ill be back here soon as clinicals are over.
I like this view almost as much as the front love, he teased, laughing.
She spun around at him and grabbed a pillow. She smacked him with it, only to hear his masclinine, deep laughter in payment of her troubles. Static grabbed her arm and tipped her back on top of him, smiling devilishly.
Why dont I come meet you after clinicals, love? he suggested, kissing her again.
She kissed him back and sighed. Then she remembered she had to get to clinicals. She had morgue duty again because she missed it the other day. She didnt relish walking back from the morgue to the parking garage alone. Winter answered, Tristan, okay, then meet me at UofLs morgue around 7:30. My clinicals are over then and that place gives me the creeps.
Gives you the shivers, all those dead people? he teased, kissing the tip of her nose.
She pushed him back and he fell willingly, laughing all the while. She retorted, The only dead person I can stand is you. Be good, promise?
Always, pet, he promised, Cross my heart and hope to be staked.
She rolled her eyes and mumbled, Youre impossible.
Im a vampire, its in the bloody job description, he called out as she made her way to the bathroom. She laughed, happy for truly the first time in this lifetime.

******
Darkness was falling upon Louisville and Static had showered and dressed, but he still had an hour until he had to go meet Winter. Frowning impatiently among all the pinkness of his beloveds apartment, Winter always loved pink. Thatll never change, he sat down upon the pink floral print couch and turned on the TV. He flipped through the channels until something caught his ears.
Happy Valentines Day from the WB! the cheerful announcer chirped.
Static froze. February 14. Valentines Day. The holiday for lovers, and since its creation, Darius made sure that he killed Winters carnations this very night. Flipping off the TV, he dawned his duster and started to walk out of the door.
Before he had even gotten halfway down the hall, a tall, blond figure tackled him. He maneuvered so he could throw his attacker off of him. He sensed that she, yeah, that long blond hair belonged to a female, was a vampire as well. He felt his fangs lengthen as his eyes turned from blue to crimson. He snarled as he threw a punch.
The hand was caught and twisted behind his back. A purring, female voice whispered into his ear, Relax, were doing this for you.
Like bloody hell you are, he snarled, kicking the vampire. He twisted and stood up only to meet the other vampire eye to eye. Then he froze when the barrel of the really big gun was pointed directly at his head.
The blond smiled, tilted her head and stated, Id rethink running if I were you.
He studied her. She was tall, all long legs, dressed in a stylish, black leather jacket, black jeans and a crimson camisole. Her long blond hair fell to her waist, a pair of huge, indigo eyes looked at him curiously. He had to admit that she was a fine bird.
He smirked and stated, Not that youre a nice bird and all, but Ive gotta be somewhere else. With that, he threw a kick, only to have the vampire move to the side fluidly before she pushed him up against the wall.
She placed the gun next to his ear before she drew it away. She held him against the wall and stated, We havent been properly introduced. My names Forest.
Static froze. The vampire assassin who was as deadly as she was beautiful. No wonder she beat him so bloody easily. Another person entered the hallway. Within moments, he was faced with a pair of dark blue, intense blue eyes framed by a fall of unruly dark brown hair as he was cuffed.
The man cuffing him with silver handcuffs wasnt human either, but he wasnt a vampire. A police badge was pushed in his face as the bobby stated, Im Detective Quinn Frost. We want you for questioning.
Then why do you have the bloody assassin with you? Static snarled, trying to escape from both of their grasps. The silver was already starting to weaken him. He looked at Forest and snapped, How much is he paying you, pet?
Good sex is better than money, she replied, And love is priceless. We want to help you, Static.
Static snapped, How the bloody hell do you know my name?
Well, youre somewhat of a legend yourself, Tristan. Come on, were going to protect your ladylove once and for all, Forest stated with a smile as they pushed him down the hall.

******
Winter was partnered with Amanda again. Amanda was reading through her Bio-Chem notes as they waited for Dunn. Winter asked, So, how did you meet Brandon?
Long story involving a power hungry vampire. Long and involved, Amanda answered with a dreamy look on her face.
Winter smiled and Amanda looked her over. Amanda asked, Why have you been in such a good mood?
No reason, Winter sang out, tapping her pen on her notebook.
Amanda leaned over and asked, Who is he or she?
What makes you so sure that its a significant other? Winter replied with a grin.
Amanda giggled and stated, Ive seen that look on my face before, Winter. Spill.
His name is Tristan, but he likes to be called Static. Hes British and everything, Winter gushed, smiling at her friend.
And a vampire, a familiar voice that chilled Winter to the bone added. They both turned around. Standing there was a tall, broad, handsome man with naturally bronze skin, golden eyes, and curly golden hair that framed the face of an angel and partially hid pointed ears.
Darius.
Winters heart picked up as she started to back away. Amanda stood up as well and asked, quite coldly, Can I help you?
I just want to speak to Miss MacKenzie, he answered, smiling brightly at the redhead.
Winters heart was pounding in her chest. Static wasnt here. He wouldnt kill her, not without Static watching. She cried out, Amanda, get out of here!
Amanda asked, Who the hell is he?
Winters destiny, isnt that right, Winter? Darius asked her, sadness creeping into his golden eyes.
Winter shouted, Why dont you just leave us alone! Hes sorry! Hes tried to make good! Please, leave us alone! With that, she made her way to the door. Darius grabbed her and lifted her easily off the ground. Winters scream was high pitched and frantic.
She saw Amanda grab a scalpel from the equipment table. Amanda snapped, Put her down now, before I throw this! She weighted it in her hand as if she knew how.
Darius ignored her as he started to carry Winter out of the room. Amanda shouted, Let her the hell go! Then the scalpel went spinning toward the faerie in a blur of silver. Darius easily caught it with one hand.
Winter cried out, Amanda, please, get help! Call Brandon! Tell him a Light Faerie has . . . Before she could finish, Darius cuffed her hard. She struggled to regain consciousness, but the last thing she heard was, Im so sorry, before she blacked out.

******
Static looked at the sword lying on the table in front of him. It was a huge two-and-a-half-handed great sword. There was a crescent moon with a wolf sitting in its cradle howling at a smaller full moon carved into the pommel of the sword. It was the symbol of the Lupine Court, the Alpha Males family crest to be persice. The Lupine he encounter just a scant few nights ago wasnt your normal Lupine, he was Brandon Night, the next to be in line for the Alpha Male if he beat his challenging cousins.
He flipped his legs through his arms so that they were in front of him and not painfully pinned behind him in the high-backed chair that they had sat him in. His eyes drifted to Quinn Frost. He figured out that he was dealing with a dhampire of all things in the bent. Standing beside the good detective was an attractive little Japanese woman dressed in a red sweater. She was a magic user of some sort and her name was Ami Li. Standing beside her, away from Quinn or Forest, was someone who was obviously Fey, probably one of those bloody crossbreeds due to the type of energy that Static was sensing off of the wanker. Still, he seemed to have almost the exact feel to him that Darius did and there seemed to be something about him that felt like an incubus or something. Probably one of those Shadows that no one really liked to talk about.
There was a sound of something like a heavy metal tune that disturbed the uncomfortable silence. Brandon pulled out a digital phone from his pants pockets and opened it. He said, Brandon Night here . . . Amanda, slow down baby, I cant understand you. Winter? Shes been what?
Static grabbed a paper clip from the desk and straitened it. While everyone was looking at Brandon, except for Forest, he started to pick the lock of the handcuff. Forest simply stood there and watched him with her indigo eyes. Static wondered when the get would tattle on him. She didnt and the cuffs clattered to the desk.
Winter was in trouble and he wasnt going to let Darius win this time.
He grabbed the Lupines sword and started to run out of the police office. He heard voices shouting at him and he jumped down a flight of stairs, brandishing the sword to get a feel for the heavy blade. Bloody wanker, we know what hes lacking, Static grumbled to himself as he held the huge sword in his hand and ran.
He was soon in the parking garage. He looked around. There were the interceptors that the police used, a trashy green Dodge Shadow that seemed like it was about to fall apart any moment, a nice, shiny red Celica, a dark violet Trans-Am, and he smiled when he spotted the car that he was brought in.
Forest has good taste in cars , he thought to himself as he ran over to the 67 black Camero. He picked the lock within moments. Despite the fact that most technology eluded him and tended not to work for him, he could hot-wire a car in moments. And the best thing about old sports cars were that they were so damned easy to hot-wire.
The V8 engine reved to life and Static smiled as he shut the car and got behind the wheel. He spun the car around as he shifted gears rapidly. He saw the Supernatural Protection Force standing there, Ami cursing furiously. He sent a telepathic message to Forest, Thanks for the car, pet, but I have places to go. With that, he sped out of the garage.

******
Gabriel Umbra smiled to himself as he watched the Camero speed away. Forest smirked and said, Like clockwork. His type is always so predictable.
Ami spun around and asked him, Are you sure that its going to work?
Gabriel turned to his co-worker and sent her his most dazzling smile. He answered, Ive heard legends about Darius and what I heard was true, then its my turn.
Quinn stopped glaring for a moment as he asked, What are you going to do? The girls going to die now. Theres no way you could face a full faerie.
My dear dhampile , who said anything about me facing Darius? Gabriel asked him.
Quinn snapped, I dont care about the vampire, he did something wrong but an innocents paying for it.
Gabriel smirked again and stated, Thats where we differ, Mr. Frost. Youre too blinded by your inbred prejudges to know what Im talking about.
Forest looked at him and for once, the Shadow and the vampire were on the same page. Gabriel watched as Forest placed a hand on Quinns shoulder and stated, Hes right about this. Static never had a sire to show him everything. He was acting on instinct and stupidity. He didnt know any better. Hes been trying to make up for his mistake for ages. Hes not evil, Quinn.
I just want my sword back, Brandon whined.
Gabriel chuckled and said, Ill be back. Then, with that, the Shadow did what he did best, slip into shadows.

******
Winter was shaking. Darius formed some sort of energy blade in his hands. Winter sobbed, Why do you keep doing this? Static learned his lesson and he regrets it to this very day!
Winter, child, this is nothing against you and I hate killing you. You should know that by now, Darius replied softly.
Winter snapped, Why should I believe a man whos spent hundreds of years killing me? Theres no way in hell that Id believe that!
Darius looked at the golden sword of light and back at her. They were standing on top of the 2 nd street bridge. Winter was freezing due to the cold winds at this height. She thought fleetingly that he would just leave her to freeze to death and Static would find her before that. She knew that was hopeless that Static would find her before that and Darius would kill her in front of him, as he always did. She sniffled back tears.
He stated, What he did was intolerable. This is his punishment.
Hes a fucking vampire! What did you expect? Happy hugs and pop songs? Hes changed , you bastard! Hes changed! He loves me and I love him! Youve done enough damage, she screamed at him, pointing accusingly at him.
Darius looked down at her with those horrible golden eyes. He replied, Winter, as much as you believe that . . .
I dont give a bloody hell what you believe, wanker, just get the hell away from her, Static snarled as he suddenly managed to climb on top of the bridge.
Winter cried out, Tristan!
Love, just stay where you are. Im coming, he snarled, his blue eyes bleeding to a glowing crimson. She gasped as fangs protruded from his soft mouth and he swung that huge sword up in his hands.
Darius smiled sadly and asked, What are you planning to do, Static, finally fight me? He waved the magical blade in front of his face.
Static held his own sword out and stated, Ill die for her. No questions asked, no quarters given.
But Ill never give you that chance, Darius stated as he advanced toward Winter with that sword.
She screamed and Static snarled as he charged.

******
The huge sword was knocked from his hands. Bloody hell, he groaned as Darius looked at him. The great sword clattered and fell to the next beam.
Still, Static didnt need a sword to be dangerous. In fact, he hated the bloody things. He wasnt from a noble family; he grew up in the back allies of London with the other street rats. He survived on his wits and his wrinklies.
Valiant try, vampire, but not good enough, Darius told him as he started to advance on Winter again.
Dont you bloody fucking walk away from me, you damned wanker! Static bellowed as he flexed his fingers. He felt the fingernails grow, lengthen, thicken, strengthen, and sharpen into talons. Darius turned to look at him and Static rushed at him, claws swinging.
Darius hissed in pain as Static smelled the spicy, sweet smell of blood being drawn. He smiled as he looked at the huge gash cutting across Darius angelic face. Not so pretty are we, Nancy Boy? Static taunted as he took another swing.
Except the Fey used his power on him. Static felt the bright, blinding, bolt of sheer power hit him like a freight train. He shouted as he was thrown back and flinched in pain. He grabbed one of the steel beams to keep himself from splashing into the Ohio river.
He saw Darius advance on Winter again. Im sorry, Winter, I hope you understand, the faerie told her.
Static snarled as he pushed himself up on the bridge again. He sneered, If you kill her Ill wait here until the sun rises, you bastard! Then what would your revenge be!
Darius turned around and stated, I wont let you do that. This isnt over. This is never going to be over!
Like you could stop me, Static said quietly. He was fully meaning to make well on his threat. He heard Winter cry out and reach for him. Static looked at her and told her, telepathically, Love, its the only way. If Im gone, then your lives would be so much easier.
Winter shouted, I dont care! I love you! Id rather live a thousand short, fleeting lifetimes and be murdered with you in my life than to live a long, normal life without you! Ive always loved you, Tristan!
Ive always loved you too, Winter, but this is the only way, he pleaded, trying to stop tears from forming in his eyes.
Darius started toward Winter again. Static shouted, Ill do it! I swear to God I would!
You know, you vampires always have a flair for the melodramatic, Gabriel Umbras voice drawled as he appeared from the shadows like magic.
Darius snapped at him, This has nothing to do with you, boy, leave!
Actually, it sort of does. See, Im an FBI agent and youre about to commit murder. Im sort of required to stop you from doing that, Darius, Gabriel answered with a careless shrug.
Darius chuckled as he stated, You cant do that boy! Youre not even a pure faerie!
But, I know some who are, Gabriel stated as different figures materialized from the shadows as well until they were surrounded by different types of Dark Fey.
If Static had been capable of it, he would have shat his pants right then and there.
Dark Elves stood there, their long bows in their capable hands as their silver eyes shone through the darkness. Dark Sprites looked ready to change into creatures that could render Darius powerless. Finally, Dark Faeries stood there, their black hair blowing around their pale faces as their violet, dark blue, and black eyes watched Darius.
Darius shouted, No, you cannot be here!
A tall, willowy yet curvy Dark Faerie stepped ahead of the others. Her long hair was braided, but strands of it still managed to blow around her beautiful face. Static admitted that they were the most beautiful people that he ever had seen, if the most frightening.
Her violet eyes were serious and stern. Still, there was a certain resemblance to her and Gabriel Umbra. She walked over to Darius, passing over to check Winter out. Winter cried out and managed to scramble to Static.
No one stopped her, so the vampire gathered her protectively in his arms. Still, they couldnt tear their eyes from the scene that was playing.
She stated, On order of the Fey Court and Council on the serious meddling of the affairs of mortals and vampires, we find you guilty, Darius. On the charge of cruelty the Fey Court finds you guilty. On the charge of giving punishment past for what was due, the Fey Council finds you guilty. On the charge of senseless murder of a mortal, the Fey Court and Council finds you guilty. How do you plead, Darius?
Darius looked as if he was about to run. Several of the small elves raised their bows at him. A few of the sprites features began to shift and change. He swallowed, a spark of light amongst all the darkness, and answered, Guilty, but you do not understand . . .
No, you dont, Gabriel snapped at him, Youve killed this girl senselessly for generations and would have done it again if we hadnt intervened.
Gabriel, this isnt in your hands either anymore, the head faerie told him, turning her head to study him.
Gabriel looked her over and stated, Yeah, it is Mom, when he attacked her and attempted murder.
Mom? Static thought, blinking.
Love is blind. If it wasnt then I wouldnt be pining for an incubus and you wouldnt be mourning the loss of a mortal woman, but its blind, Darius, but it has also made you blind. You have done crimes and now you must pay, she stated, her hair blowing around her face.
Static had to admit that she had a point.
Darius screamed and tried to launch himself off of the bridge. The faerie woman grabbed him and held him close. No, it is for the Court and the Council to decide your fate, she stated as the Fey started to fade into darkness again. She started to fade as well, with Darius screaming helplessly. Within seconds, they were gone, except for Gabriel.
Static wrapped his arms around Winter protectively as Gabriel bent down and picked up the sword. Gabriel stated, Brandonll kill you, not caring if you finally got to live happily ever after with your soul mate, if you lost this.
Winter asked, Why did you do this?
Gabriel smirked and stated, My mom use to tell me this story when I was growing up. Vampire kills faeries mortal lover, faerie curses vampire, vampire finds girl, faerie kills girl in front of loving vampire, and vampire does good in an anti-hero sort of way, and then it goes over and over again. I thought that the Fairy Tale needed an ending, so I thought Happily Ever After would be apt.
He started to wave and fade away. Static called out, How do we know that hes gone?
If you knew my moms tragic history with my father, then youd know. So, I guess you could just take the Dark Feys word for it that Darius isnt coming back. And, somehow, if he does, Im supposed to give you this, Gabriel answered. He handed Static a business card with five phone numbers written on it.
Static asked, Whats this?
The phone numbers of the Lupine Prince, a master vampire assassin, a Shadow whos mom is on the Fey Council, a Shinto sorceress, and a dhampile . All of the above, except for the last, like to believe that they believe in happy endings, thats all, Gabriel stated as he faded into darkness. Then, as an after thought, he turned around and shouted, Happy Valentines day, by the way.
And he was gone.
Static looked down at Winter and said, We actually survived a Valentines day.
And Im not home gorging myself on Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Winter snorted.
He tilted his face toward hers and gave her a long, hard, passionate kiss. When they parted, he rested his head on top of hers and stated, Happy Valentines Day, love.
Yeah, it is. Happy Valentines day, Tristan, and many more to come, Winter replied with a winsome smile.
Static smiled too and stated, And many more to come.
She said, Lets go out.
Havent you have enough bloody excitement for one night? Static teased as they carefully started to climb down the metal beams.
She looked up at him and answered, I have a lot of time to make up with you, and I fully intend to do that.
Fine, pet, you win, he replied, smiling.
Winter nodded and stated, Good, as it should be.
Then, on top of the 2 nd street bridge, several people swore they heard a British voice call out, Happy Bloody Valentines Day, everyone! before bursting out into heavy laughter.
And the soulmates made their way nimbly down the bridge to make up for lost time.

There Is No End, Only A Beginning!

I dedicate this story to Laura Bratcher, my mother, who read too many vampire romance novels. Without her, I would have never come up with this story idea. Didnt hurt that she got me reading a couple too.