Fan Fiction ❯ Ego Quest ❯ Pain of the Past:Berserker Gene! ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Episode 3:Painful History:Berserker Gene!


Just outside of the base was a vast ocean, with a shore simalar to a beach though dirt instead of stand. Uminia stretched her arms out, letting the cool morning breeze blow past her. "This place is perfect for training"said Gale.

After a ten minute fight, Uminia dealt a round kick to the head, Gale hitting the ground and ending the fight. Uminia wiped the sweat off her head. "Usualy Gale's relatively easy. With that Hyperflash, he's hard. Then again, he's always had that ability, so I guess only now am I facing him at full strength"thought Uminia. Gale got himself up. "I was hoping Hyperflash would be enough to win, guess I still have to work at it"thought Gale. Uminia fell to a sitting position, sweat pouring down her. "I've never seen Uminia that tired after a fight! Was I that hard for her?"thought Gale. "I'm proud of you Gale, you're really getting good. I'm gonna go shower up"said Uminia. Gale turned around, taking a deep breath before he began punching and kicking at the air. Lance meanwhile, trained in the shadows, with heavy pressure and humid atmosphere. "As long as I wear this curse, I have to be careful of who I fight. If I fight a friend, they will die, just like the girl. Neither Gale or Uminia, would have a chance. Still, I have to become stronger, to remove it, I have to kill the one who put it on"thought Lance.

In the shower Uminia leaned up against the wall, letting the cool water spray on her. Her arms were covered with black marks, very red. As the cold water came onto her burnt arms, she bit her lower lip, yet it still took everything to keep her from screaming.

"What, are you doing?"asked a young Uminia. "Making sure you never fight again"

Her screams, from so many years ago, echoed in her mind once more.

"She'll never be able to fight with those arms"

"She's useless now"

They had all said it, she remembered well. "I've proven them wrong, I can fight, even if it hurts really bad. I can never let Gale or Lance see my bare arms, otherwise they'd never let me fight"she thought. After showering up, she dried herself off and redressed herself.

Gale shot out a barrage of blasts at the ocean, causing tidal waves to come down. However, even if they knocked him down, he forced himself back up. "No one will ever accuse you of being lazy"said Uminia walking out. Gale turned to her. He nodded. "You could probaly use a rest, I imagine your Geno and Bio energy is pretty low at this point"said Uminia. "You know my goal Uminia, I don't need to repeat it. I need to keep going, because at this point, it's all I got"said Gale. "I know, but you know how much I worry about you. You and Lance are the only ones I have leaft to be with"said Uminia. "There has to be at least one person in your old home who still likes you"said Lance. Uminia turned her head away shamefuly. "I'm sorry Uminia, I, didn't mean to-

"I know Gale, it's not your fault"she said. "What happened there anyway?"asked Gale. "There are some things I will never be able to tell you Gale, and that's one of them"said Uminia. "Looks like we both have skeletons in our closet"said Lance walking up to join them, covered in sweat. "Wow, you've been training hard too"said Lance. "Let's just say our aims aren't too diffrent"said Lance. "Huh?"asked Gale. Just then another tidal wave was coming at them. "Watch out!"said Gale knocking Uminia out of the way, accidently elbowing her in the head. He managed to dive himself out of the way at the same time. "You all-

Uminia punched him right across the face, Gale staggering up. He looked into Uminia's eyes, her pupils were gone. "What-

Uminia sped forward, giving him a barrage of punches and kicks, Gale unable to dodge any of them. A viscous kick sent him flying, Gale able to land on his feet. "I don't know what she's doing, but I need to fight back"he thought. "Hyperflash!"

He flew up, throwing a thunderous punch but Uminia dodged it then continued her assault, Gale unable to outmaneuver her. "Uminia!"said Lance. He got her in a full nelson from behind, wrapping his legs around hers, causing them to fall back, Uminia thrashing. "What's wrong with you?"asked Lance. Gale staggered up, almost comepletely drained. "Uminia, please, stop it"said Gale weakly. Uminia began to calm down, her eyes returning to normal. "What, just happened?"she asked panickedly. "Good question"said Gale. "Let's get her to the medical ward, maybe they can figure something out"

After waiting half an hour, a nurse came out. "What is it?"asked Gale. "We did a scan and found a very rare gene, it's known as the berserker gene"she said. "Berserker gene?"asked Gale. "It's a gene most common in warriors"said Lance. "Correct, this gene is a catalyst of sorts, it can be started by a number of factors. It shuts down the concence and allows the body to fight without any restriction from the mind, also preventing them from feeling anykind of pain. Although a blow to the head can theoreticly start it, psychological or physical pain in high amounts often raise the chances"she said. "She didn't seem hurt to me"said Gale. At that moment, Uminia stepped out. "Please miss, you should really lie down"said the nurse. "I'm fine"she said. "You sure Uminia?"asked Gale. Her glove caught on something then, Uminia yanking it, the glove coming off. "AH!"gasped Gale and Lance. Uminia got the glove off quick but saw it was too late. "Uminia, what happened? Did I do this?"asked Gale. Uminia shook her head, beggining to cry. She fell down to her knees. "Uminia, what happened? Please tell me"said Gale bending down, holding her shoulders. Lance watched them from a small distance. "They're so close to eachother, a closeness I'll never be able to feel"thought Lance almost bitterly. His insignia began glowing again, Lance holding it. Uminia held her head, feeling a throbbing. "Gale, the gene's activating again!"said Lance yanking him back. The nurse began filling up a needle. Uminia was still on her knees, getting ready to stand when Gale kneeled down, holding her arms. "I'm sorry Uminia, this is for your own good"said Gale. The nurse bent down, putting the needle into Uminia's shoulder, Uminia falling to sleep. Lance walked out, unoticed.

when Uminia next awoke, she was in a chair, her hands binded behind it by an iron cuff(with her gloves on), her ankles too. "It's okay Uminia, it's just us. We only want to help, but with that berserk gene, we have to restrain you"said the nurse. Uminia sighed. "Uminia, is it your arms that are bothering you? What happened to them?"asked the nurse.

"It happened when I was 7"she said remembering.

Younger Uminia defeated another opponent around her age. "She's one of the strongest in the village, she will become one of the greatest fighters ever, I can feel it"said her mom. Watching enviously was a girl with shorter blue hair, dressed in a white short, black shorts with black socks and sneakers. "I'm stronger then her, why does she matter?"she asked. They turned to her. "Tenra, you have chores to be doing. You're the older sister, now set a good example"said her mom. "She's right, Uminia's going to be looking up to you"said their father. She stomped in angrily, Uminia watching with a guilty look.

Later that night, she was smacked again, right across the face, landing on the floor. "You litte bitch, why, do, you, keep, making, them, ignore, me!"said Tenra kicking her. "I'm sorry Tenra, I can't help what they think"said Uminia weakly. Tenra smacked her head against the post, Uminia bleeding from the nose. "You remember this you ungrateful bitch, if you ever tell anyone about what I do to you, I will kill you"she said. "I won't, I promise"she said. Despite the abuse, and Uminia's attempts to win her parents towards Tenra(like purposely losing) the parents still liked her more, and they could tell when she was throwing fights, so she had to keep winning, otherwise they would find out about the beatings. Even in her dreams Uminia was abused. One night, Tenra had had enough. She sat on top of Uminia, holding both her arms down with one, and gagging her with tape. "I'm going to make sure you never fight again. This is brimstone fire, it burns you and the burns can never heal"she said. She burnt her arms for about half an hour, before letting her go. "Remember, tell no one"she threatened. She nodded, removing her gag. Tenra tossed the device out the window, falling face first. The parents came in, seeing what had been done. Their concern was for Uminia, though Tenra's fake unconciousness made it so she wasn't suspected.

Once they heared the news, they walked her out. "She can never fight again"said her mother. "Damn shame, but at least we got Tenra, she'll become the pride of this village"said her father. As she walked through town, everyone laughed at her, she was useless now. The physical abuse was toned down. Tenra would taunt Uminia about how she was best. In secret, Uminia began hitting trees with her arms. It hurt real bad but as she kept doing it, she found her arms could be just as useful as her legs, despite the pain that she would feel afterwards. She trained herself, learning several grapple and hand to hand techniques, even mastering her Geno energy. Tenra caught her one night, shocked at how skilled Uminia was. She came from behind a tired Uminia, her arm around her throat. She beat her badly, leaving her bleeding. "It'll only get worse, next time I'll kill you"said Tenra. Leaft alone, she began to cry, realzing she couldn't live there anymore, as soon as she had healed, she got up and ran out.

"Thank you for sharing with us Uminia, now that we understand the pain, we can help heal it"said the nurse. Gale walked in, coming up to Uminia, using small energy blasts to free her. "Gale-

"I know what I'm doing"said Gale. Uminia leaped up and wrapped her arms around him, her tearfilled face in his chest. "It hurts, it hurts!"she said, the memories even more painful. Gale put his arms around her. "Uminia, I swear, that it's over. I'll never let anything like that happen to you again, I promise. If I ever see that sister of yours, I'll kick her ass"said Gale. Lance popped up from the shadows. "Lance, you came back?"asked Gale. "I just want you to know, if there's anyway I can help, I will"he said. "Hey, don't go anywhere, stay with us. We ARE friends, right?"asked Gale. "We are?"asked Lance. "Duh"said Gale. Lance smiled. "Very well then"said Lance.

Meanwhile, deep in the forest leading to the base, an 18 year old Tenra was walking with a purpose. "I'm coming for you sis"she thought.

TBC