Fan Fiction ❯ Gelden ❯ Unusual Atmosphere ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Over a thousand years ago, a mission was given to a simple farmer. He was given a choice between three options: Destruction of existence by one son, or the other, or to throw them against each other in a battle to save everything anyone has ever held dear. He chose the third option, though it caused him a great and painful life. That was just a small decision that will eventually, along with many other decisions, trigger a war that will involve mortals, gods and beings that exist beyond our minds and greater than the gods. And yet, this is hardly the beginning of the story.

Ages after, the story of the war is merely a myth to most. Certainly nothing that would put off three thieves on a well-planned raid. Unfortunately the Cult of Hardis is after the same thing and both parties end up spoiling each other's plans. But it also leads to the discovery of a darker plan that only the tops of Hardis know. A plan that will bring forth the dark evil from the `myth' of the past…

Prologue: Unusual Atmosphere

The air was heavy in the pub. Noise, smoke and the sticky humidity of Cerik's exotic atmosphere hung like a sickening cloud in a room filled with drunken gamblers. The city was large and this pub was one of the few that pirates, ruffians and thieves found a sanctuary in. Located of the port, The Culver Serpent attracted not only the worst crowd, but also many strange travelers and vagrants. The locals and regulars often stayed in the back of the bar, causing trouble and brawling, while the strangers often sat near the front, talking in their foreign languages and making deals with others.

Tal'Karenk, the owner of the shabby place, had been rather down the last few days. Although he was a cheery man with a rather large heart for riches, a tropical storm had rolled into Cerik a few days ago. Unfortunately, it had slowly been diminishing his customers -and money supply. Storms in Cerik were highly unusual, especially ones like this one. The winds were fierce and had been the root of Tal's main annoyance. The travelers that came in the port, with their rare and unusual stories and currencies, had stopped coming. No ship had been able to enter the port for days, and those that were docked had been trapped because of the high waves. Half of Tal's precious locals had stopped coming also, with fears of being blown away. But still the regular off-key music and slightly less than normal noise level was there. It was as if nothing more out of the ordinary, besides the storm, could possible happen.

The night wore on and the storm only got worse. Tal'Karenk, for once in his life considered closing early. Many of the customers had gone home not wanting, much against Tal's pleasure, to be stuck in the bar all night. Only seven people remained in the Serpent beside himself. A shrouded figure near the fire that was gazing into a crystal. A group of three bandits sat in the back corner (chatting about their riches Tal's believed, though they appeared fairly young for skilled thieves). One was a male, but he had his cloak drawn over his face, the other two were female, though one was strange. She appeared to be wearing makeup but it seemed to fine. Her eyes were different from each other, one black and the other red. With pointed ears and hair that was both black and white, she gave off a mischievous air. She was a very strange sight indeed. The other woman seemed to have more respect than thieves normally do. She was rather quiet and had a look of mystery in her eyes. She was the complete opposite of the other woman.

Two knights that had been throwing insults back and forth the whole evening, he recognized as Lodon Camlin and Aurora Targa. Aurora was a fiery woman with an attitude that could change in an instant. Lodon was an extremely tall and built man, a Warrior of Ziech. They were an odd pair, but they worked together as guards for the Cerik Guild of Magus.

The last occupant was a friend of Tal's. He was usually the loudest occupant but tonight he was simply enjoying his drink and gazing at the Aurora with a passion in his eyes. This was Lyle Cunningham. An incredibly cocky and strong fighter, he was the leader of a group of `the greatest fighters in the land', The Crimson Eagles.

"D'ya think she could win a duel against me?" Lyle asked and turned his head to the side, still staring. Tal looked at the knight again and gave a laugh.

"The way she's been going on, you wouldn't have a chance…" he replied. Lyle drained his mug and set it down on the counter. He frowned at Tal.

"You don't think I could win? Maybe I should challenge her. She seems a fair opponent." He eyed her up again. "She's got a flare to her…. A strong will… appears to have strong legs too…" he said, eyeing her legs with a great interest.

Tal rolled his eyes. Like himself, Lyle had a great passion for riches, or anything that was what he called `pretty' for that matter. Apparently Aurora fit into this category of `pretty' things.

"She could probably beat everyone of your fighters to a bloody pulp with one of her arms tied behind her back." Tal said and started washing Lyle's empty mug. At this Lyle's eyes flashed.

"Would you bet on that?" he asked, with a sly tone. Tal continued washing the mug, not even bothering to look at Lyle. After Tal did not reply, Lyle gave a shrug and looked back at Aurora.

"But then again if Lady Targa wouldn't like to duel, perhaps that one in the back there would…" Lyle said and looked at the mysterious thief. "Though she appears much to… respectable to be a fighter…"

There was a flash of lightning. The shrouded figure by the fire looked up at the door and seemed to be staring intently. The door opened as the follow-up thunder clapped. Two people entered the pub, much to Tal's surprise. He had figured no one else would show up in the rage outside. What surprised him even more were the people. They were wearing similar uniforms, dark blue with a large leather boots, belts and gloves. Their belt buckles were silver (Tal believed real silver) with large H's inscribed in them. Even stranger were the spikes. There were spikes protruding from almost all the leather. As they got closer Tal noticed that the spikes were made of a rare item: Dragon scale. Expensive and hard to break.

"Come in come in, travelers!" Tal cried. "Must be horrible weather! Come sit and warm up, for the love of the gods!"

The two walked to the counter and sat down next to Lyle. He was eyeing their dragon scale and silver. Tal looked over their expensive uniforms and felt uneasy. They were both completely dry. Odd indeed for just coming out of the storm of the century.

"Give me something hard." Said one of them. Tal blinked. When they had first walked in, he had believed them to be both males but the one that had spoken was a female. He looked closer as he fixed up her drink. She had very shortly cropped blonde hair, with obviously died vibrant blue and green streaks. Now that Tal had looked closer at her face, she was very feminine, but the uniform gave her a masculine form. He gave her the drink and turned to the man.

"You'll be wanting anything?" he asked politely.

"No." He said and looked at Tal. Tal took a step back. The man scared him somehow. He wasn't at all scary looking, quite on the contrary, but deep in his eyes and voice, there was an almost demonic coldness. Tal turned back to Lyle, only to discover he had moved a few seats down. He was eyeing Aurora again, but kept glancing nervously at the couple that had entered. He seemed to have lost a small bit of his cocky attitude.

The pub had grown rather quiet. Aurora and Lodon had ceased their battle and the only noises were that of the fire crackling and the thieves whispering. The cold man seemed to have an interest in them. He was staring intently at the mysteriously respectable girl.

"So… where you folks from?" Tal asked. The girl stared at him and slammed down her mug.

"Across the seas. Perhaps you've heard of the Mendob continent?" She said, wiping her mouth. Tal nodded. Mendob was a small southern continent. Not much news came from there anymore since their main kingdom had been destroyed. Tal grabbed her mug and started to clean it.

"We just got into port today…" She said. Tal raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything. These folk must mean trouble and that was not up his alley. Arriving in the middle of a furious storm by sea, walking in completely dry, clad in expensive uniforms, and that man… Tal hoped they left soon, even if they were brimming with riches.

There were noises of scrapping chairs. Tal looked up to see the thieves standing up from their corner table. The mysterious girl looked anxious to leave and kept glancing up to the counter and then to the door. The male thief had his hand on her back and was motioning for the mischievous one to follow. She looked confused at the suddenly urge to leave.

He let the two girls out into the alley and walked back to the counter. He pulled out a sack of gold and placed it in front of Tal. He still had his hood up.

"I thank you for your kindness and hospitality." He said and then pushed open the door and was gone with the girls into the alley. The cold man at the counter gave a sly smile.

"Falon…" He muttered. His partner cocked her eyebrow.

"That was her? The Aryhpez woman?"

The man laughed. "I wish a word with the Lady Aryhpez… Meet me at the assigned place at midnight…" The man got up and left silently. His partner watched after him puzzled.

"Traque…? Dammit! Whattam I s'pose to do?!" She cried. Then she turned to Tal. "Blast it all! She's not that important to abandon me without orders, is she?! Give me another hard one, doc and make it quick!"

Confused, Tal quickly made up another hard drink and gave it to her. She left shortly after she finished it. By closing time, Tal had forgotten most of the night's odd events and patrons, with the exception of Lyle's dramatic attempted to swoon Aurora. Of course that had ended in pain… on Lyle's behalf.

The storm raged on.