Fan Fiction ❯ I am the Queen of Cranberry Sauce ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own HP sauce or Harry Potter bla bla bla…
 
Chapter One
 
Harry sat at his desk, quill in hand and nothing in his head. He was supposed to be writing a potions essay on minestrone soup. Some kind of vegetable or something. He knocked his ink over to amuse himself then waved his wand and idly muttered “ Scourgify.”
 
Hermione burst in, grinning.
 
“You're not supposed to be in here Hermione, bugger off.”
 
She ignored him and went on grinning.
 
“Guess what?”
 
“I give up,” he muttered and turned his back on her. He picked up his quill to do his essay then realised he had no ink.
 
“Apparently a first year Hufflepuff told Snape he had long armpit hair!” She burst into laughter and promptly ran out of the room.
 
Harry grinned. The year seven must have had guts, he thought to himself, but he couldn't help wondering why he was in Hufflepuff.
 
Ron called Harry down and they wandered off to lunch.
 
Along the lunch table, Harry could hear lots of whisperings about the valiant year seven. Though the story seemed to have changed since he had heard it from Hermione.
 
Now, people were saying that the student had continued to apparate behind Snape and promptly performed the Babbling Curse.
 
Harry, however, knew that this was rubbish. You cannot apparate anywhere in the school grounds. A fact, that Hermione was now shouting at Fred and George.
 
The doors to the Great Hall opened and there was a lot of shushing and nudging. Harry turned to have a glimpse at the person.
 
It was a small year seven girl, who was wearing a very peculiar shaped hat. It looked as if she had sat on it at some point and it had gone very flat.
 
Harry turned back to his food. He wasn't sure why everyone else had gone so quiet. He couldn't find anything particularly bad about the hat. Goyle's was much worse.
 
Talking of Goyle, Harry could see that most of the Slytherine's were shooting daggers at the girl.
 
He felt a bit sorry for her, but couldn't understand why she just didn't take the hat off.
 
Hermione nudged him hard in the ribs. He looked at her, feeling extremely disgruntled, and found that she was pointing to the girl as well.
 
“What?” hissed Harry.
 
She raised her eyebrows and then hissed back “She's the year seven that said those things to Snape.”
 
Harry turned back to the girl. She was very young and quite pretty. So had bright red flaming hair, a bit like Ron's.
 
She had sat down at the Hufflepuff table, and the usual noise was beginning to fill the Hall again.
 
“But she's a girl!” Harry hissed, as though the thought of it was absurd.
 
“May I remind you, Harry, that I am also a girl!” She stood up and stormed off, puffing smoke from her ears.
 
Ron nudged him and grinned. “Clever,” he chuckled.
 
He turned back to the girl. She was tiny and looked very stable. Harry had a feeling that if he went and said hello to her, she might fall over from the shock.
 
Harry left the Hall and went upstairs to the common room. He didn't understand how a girl had said those things. It just wasn't right.
 
The three of them went through afternoon lessons as normal.
 
Harry couldn't help looking around everywhere he went from the girl. He was really curious about her.
 
After school, Harry was sitting on the grass by the Lake, letting the sun bake him into a baked something.
 
Suddenly, across the lake, Harry could see someone coming towards him. He realised, with panic, that it was the hufflepuff girl.
 
“Hello.” She said sweetly, “You're Harry Potter.”
 
Here we go, thought Harry, but he nodded and said “Yeh, I noticed.” He looked at her then grabbed his chance. “How did you say those things to Snape?” He asked. The sun was shining into his eyes but her kept looking up at her.
 
She shrugged and then said “People don't stand up to me. I scare them.”
 
“Right.” Said Harry smirking. “I bet the whole school is terrified of a year seven Hufflepuff.”
 
She smiled and then said, confidently, “I am the Queen of Cranberry sauce and Yoghurt”
 
By this time Harry had decided that the girl must be completely mad. He had an essay to do and wasn't going to waste his time talking to a year seven. Even if she was Queen of cranberry's.
 
“Well look, Queeny. I'd love to chat, but thanks to you Snape was in a very bad mood yesterday so now I have more study than usual. Please leave. Thanks. Oh and good luck with the whole yoghurt thing.”
 
She started to walk off, when Harry called her back. “you don't by any chance know anything about minestrone soup?”
 
She looked back at him and grinned. “The ingredients are 4 cups vegetable stock, 2 (14.5 ounce), cans stewed tomatoes, 1 large potato, cubed, 1 onion, chopped, 2 stalks celery, chopped, 2 carrots, chopped, 1 large head cabbage, finely chopped, 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, 3 cups fresh corn kernels, 1 large zucchini, sliced, 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta, salt and pepper to taste.
In a large soup pot combine the vegetable stock, the un-drained tomatoes, potato, onion, celery, carrot, cabbage and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the beans, corn, zucchini and pasta; simmer for 10 to 15 more minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
 
Harry stared. “…Thanks”
 
“You're welcome!” she replied and walked back up to the castle.