Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Voices ❯ Anita 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Anita - Part 2

Victoria played with her bowl of wheat flakes. It was late morning and William and Anita had yet to show their furry faces. Wiggling her stalk like ears she frowned at the thought of what mischief the couple might have been up to together. Last night's dinner was ruined and in the heat the morning's Kau milk, if left out a second longer would have curdled. She contemplated going up to see him herself in his bedroom but worried about any awkward situations that could occur.

Luckily Victoria was saved as at 11am William rolled out of bed and down the stairs into the bacon and sausage omelette waiting for him. He snarled grumpily as he consumed the egg snack - William had obviously endured a bad night.

Victoria was daunted by his temper but knew she had to ask; "Have you seen Anita this morning?"

William grumbled incoherently and then mumbled, "She didn't come back."

"Eh?" Victoria leant forward at him, trying to understand his babble, "Come back from where?"

"She went to 'freshen up'," William sneered, "leaving me to wait for three hours under the Money Tree until I realised she wasn't coming back."

William grunted, "So what time did she get back at? And with whom?"

"Well I was hoping you could tell me," Victoria's concern grew, "I hope she's okay…"

Wounded at being abandoned William said, "She'll survive."

Victoria's ears pricked up, "I can hear the door bell…the post maybe!"

"Garh!" William moaned as his face crashed into his plate, "Hopefully it's a letter from her, she's fled the country to live as a nun in the Space Station."

Victoria laughed as she went to the door, "Maybe…oh my…"

"What is it?" William still did not feel awake. He was hoping that yesterday was just a terrible nightmare and he would get another chance at re-acting the picnic - this time not being forgotten by Anita but the more that he was reminded she existed he realised that he would not be allowed a second chance.

"It's the paper…" Victoria panicked, "hear this; 'Vampire Victims Lose Lives' oh my and listen to this bit, 'Two neopets were found dead last night in Central Neopia on route to the Haunted Woods with two bloody holes pierced in their necks. Police Chief Sir Lawrence Grundo says no pets have been arrested but the mysterious Count Von Roo is a leading suspect. All neopets living in the Central Neopia or Haunted Wood regions are warned to not stray at night and keep all doors and windows securely locked. Do not invite any strangers into your homes without asking for legal authentication.' Oh my gosh, what if one of those pets were Anita?"

William yawned, "Does it to say who they were?"

"Um…" Victoria scanned the pages, "both female…young…oh dear…a green Kiko…and…a blue Kau! How terrible!"

"Yes but they're not Anita which is good."

"I suppose…" Victoria sighed, unable to make herself read another page of the paper.

An entire afternoon passed and not a word was heard from Anita. Time seemed to move slowly without her, it was quiet, calm and undoubtedly lonely as William continued to mope whilst reading 'A Hundred Love Stories' - probably the wrong choice of literature. Anita was a small and hyperactive Chia, probably smaller than most which made her weak but her enormous personality surely outweighed that fact, her bright yellow markings allowing every pet over Neopia to know.

Anita was also champion of the kitchen cooking up strange concoctions that, however how weird they appeared tasted delicious and constantly with a merry little smile on her face. It was now dinnertime again and Victoria felt that ever-ready rumble in her tummy. Lunch had passed without a word as breakfast had been so late and William was not up to communicating. William's silence hurt Victoria as she knew there was nothing she could do but what her even more was an empty stomach.

Victoria's large eyes scanned the refrigerator but nothing remained apart from a green pepper and two eggs. Today was shopping day and Anita owned the basket.

"Fine, omelette again," Victoria sighed, "but maybe…" she scanned the larder shelves, "…a twist…"

Victoria pulled down a wreath of garlic; the cabinet was filled with the smelly bulbs, which had undoubtedly started to root in the dark. There had been a ten for one sale at the Eskimos' igloo - Anita had bought fifty.

"It's about time we ate these", Victoria muttered as she ran a bulb under the tap. The skin around the garlic rattled as the water flooded through the folds. It was dark now and the kitchen light was hardly satisfactory. Victoria placed the garlic down. The rustling continued.

"Hello?" Victoria stepped backward surveying her surroundings.

The rustling stopped.

"Is anyone out there? William?" Victoria stuttered turning around constantly attempting to gain a new view behind and in front of her.

"Yes and no," the voice was familiar but more confident and seductive.

Victoria gasped, as standing in the doorway leading out to the garden was a pale and sour little Chia, "Anita!"

"Yeah," Anita snapped, "I've come for dinner."

"Um…" Anita's coldness unsettled Victoria, "well if green pepper omelette is fine?" She did not want to mention Anita's disappearance as Anita seemed highly-strung and mercurial.

"NO IT IS NOT!"

Victoria felt a cannonball of power fling her towards the wall, little did she know the force was Anita.

Gasping, Victoria could feel the weight of Anita pressuring her chest, "Anita what are you doing?"

"I WANT DINNER!" Anita screeched, her eyes burning a scarlet red illuminating the entirety of the shadows on her face as she clawed away savagely Victoria's soft Aisha skin, "I WANT YOU!"

"No…" Victoria cried, " I won't believe it!"

"YES!" Anita hissed as she thrusted her faced in front of Victoria's.

Frantically Victoria's paw searched the cold floor for a weapon she could use to pry her dear friend away from her. Unfortunately all she could find was the solitary bulb of garlic she had dropped as she had been pushed to the floor - it would have to do.

"ANITA!" Victoria yelled wildly struggling in panic.

Anita reared her head and opened her mouth wide, her ugly razor blade canines gleaming in the light. Desperate Victoria shoved the bulb into Anita's mouth, jamming her jaws open.

Anita turned pale and dropped away.

Victoria scrambled to her feet and grabbed a broom resting by the wall. She watched as Anita grasped her throat, which now began to bleed from two small holes. Suddenly Anita spat the vegetable out onto the tiled floor and paused. Her eyes widened and flashed the beautiful emerald they had been so many times before when the two best friends had shared so much happiness.

Turning Anita fled back to the doorway, tripping over the step and crawled into the garden, her silhouette lying in a crumpled, heaving heap in the entrance.

Victoria felt herself sink down into the terracotta tiles, the wooden cupboards pressing into her back. She held the broom handle firm across her body and sat with wide eyed hysteria praying for when the sun would kiss her now pink, blood stained fur.

She heard the Bruce sing their morning chorus but Victoria was desperate not to leave her spot. Continuously her eyes locked onto the pile in the doorway yet she could not force herself to investigate it.

Finally, an hour after the sun had risen Victoria plucked up the courage to stand. Still holding the broom she headed towards the garden. Before her lay a mountain of dust, compact and complete, terror etched across its face.

Victoria stepped back dropping the broom handle. Heaving she raised her paws to her face and cried savagely. Completely flustered Victoria dropped to her knees and studied the expression of her dear dead friend. A tear was lodged in one of Anita's eyes but as Victoria touched the Chia's face it crumbled to nothing. And in a gust of wind all that had been Anita disintegrated.