Fan Fiction ❯ Rising Paradise ❯ The Treachery of Man ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A few mornings later, Sayoko walked out from her room, looking gloomy. Metsuki followed close behind her, carrying some packages and was not sure of the expression of her friend. She wanted to ask but felt it wasn't the right moment to inquire. She had only known the energetic brunette for a few days, but not enough to know why the girl had to leave for the week.

On their way from the Hakuramo Manor, they met Kashi who was stationed by a carriage with Sunori and Masaru. Sunori helped the old man into the back seats. "I'm sorry my parents couldn't come to see you off."

"It's all right, young master. They have been very gracious with us--we should not trouble them any further."

Sayoko groaned, "But jii-chan, do we really have to go now?!"

He frowned at her, very disappointed, which silenced her. He looked at Metsuki, "I apologize on Sayoko's behalf if she has given you trouble with her packing."

"No, not at all," Metsuki insisted. "Take care on the trip."

Sayoko jumped into her seat, and immediately poked her head out as the carriage pulled away. "Bye Tsuki-chan! Sunori! Masa-chan! See ya in a week!"

Metsuki finally spoke when they were out of sight, "And just where are they going?"

"Every year around this time, they return to their village," Sunori began, "to pay their respects to Sayoko's parents. They died when she was young."

"Oh." His words left her thinking of Sayoko growing up without her parents and because of that, it probably made her a bit spoiled and childish. Metsuki thought of her own parents and decided to write a letter to them that night.

"But good riddens for a week!" Masaru laughed. "Let's get something to eat!" he said as they entered the gates.

Somewhat annoyed, Metsuki asked Sunori, "Is food all he can think of?"

He smiled nervously, "Well, this is Masaru after all."


Rising Paradise

created & written by K-chan

Chapter Four: The Treachery of Man


Quietly lurking about the buildings, Saguri managed to slip behind a tree just as Masaru and Sunori pass by. He glared after Masaru, recalling the events from nights ago. He would avenge Metsuki's honor from that pervert, but at that moment he wanted to find Metsuki instead. He smiled like a little boy with a mischievous prank and continued to tiptoe away.

After Saguri left, Masaru appeared from behind another tree, wondering what the suspicious guest was planning to do since he was suppose to be in the study. Determined, he followed Saguri to his destination, apparently ignoring his hungry appetite.


In the study, Heisan sighed, being surrounded by books left by his master. Any ideas that ever entered the young emperor's head meant trouble for himself. Here he was, dressed like Saguri and stuck in a room filled with ancient books while the latter spent time with a girl. He had to admit, anyone viewing him from behind would think he was Saguri.

He thought of the floral mark on Metsuki's body and shook his head. It wasn't her then, but the her likeness to his previous masters. He sighed, knowing the mark was not suppose to be a flower. He turned his attention back to the books when his eyes caught a thick text covered with dust. Heisan immediately grabbed the book, Shinseiwa Shrine, Key to the Forgotten Past. "The 'forgotten past'... This sounds interesting."

On the continent, there were two kingdoms that held the three regions under control. Morin, the country known for its vast and healthy forests, was east of the Yukichou Mountains, but traveling across the dangerous peaks, one will find a country filled with green land stretching for miles, the country of Midori. And in the capitol of Midori was Shinseiwa Shrine, a place of mystery and answers.


All his life Ginkaji had waited for a glorious moment like this. He was now in high favor with Lord Murakami at the capitol, and soon he would receive a even higher promotion than now. He was a great figure in the city with power and money, but somehow it wasn't enough. The name Hakuramo flashed in his mind as anger flared in him. A branch of a poor plant snapped in the ruthless hands of Ginkaji. "Hakuramo..." he said through gritted teeth. The people held more respect to the noble than him. He was nothing compared to the great name, and it angered him. He wanted to show the people he was more than generations of worthless nobles.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in," Ginkaji ordered.

A soldier entered with a red envelope and handed it to him. "An invitation from Lord Hakuramo to a party on behalf of your promotion."

Without looking at the invitation, he threw it aside on his desk. "Very well." He turned to the man, "Has a word arrived from Arisutara--from Lord Murakami?"

"No, sire."

"You may leave then." The soldier left the room just as a sudden laughter echoed. Ginkaji whirled his head around the room, not able to find the source. "Who's there?! Show yourself!" The bitterness showed through his voice at the mocking laughter.

The man appeared to be floating from behind the curtains of darkness. A black cape wrapped around his armored body. He took his right hand that was hidden within the cape and smoothly brushed his wild, dark-green hair back. "You don't need to know anything about me," he laughed, "but only that I am Torasaki, Lord Murakami's right hand man."

Surprised, Ginkaji quickly apologized, "Torasaki-sama, I did not know... Then you must bring information from Lord Murakami?"

"Of course." His laid-back manner abruptly leapt into an abyss of cold, deadly emotions. The icy glitter in his eyes meant that what was about to be said were not to be considered lightly. "Concerning the men you've captured," he paused for the tension in the room to increase. "Execution. As soon as possible--quietly and neatly."

He remained silent, knowing well he could not alter a decision from above, but he had never thought of sentencing the bandits to death. The men who he worked side by side with. The men who bravely fought the invasion of the Kaitou Empire. But after all, they were now outlaws wanted for many crimes. "But death?!" he questioned aloud.

"It's final." Torasaki slowly vanished, laughing, "You're becoming soft, Ginkaji--it's not like you." His tone was loose and playful with a hint of sarcasm.

"Don't worry about me," he shouted. There was no turning back now. He had worked too hard to reach where he was now, and he was not about to give it up on a bunch of criminals. "As soon as possible, huh?"


The local courthouse of Reishoru was small, but beneath the main foundation was a maze of dungeons hidden from the natural world. It wasn't impossible for a prisoner to escape, but the winding paths and indifferentiable corners made it quite difficult. Too make matters worse, guards were posted at every intersection and were on duty all hours of the day.

The cells were usually moist and cold. The hard, dirty floors were scattered with haystraws, making a comfortable sleep unlikely. Even the meals were treated in a similiar way, usually white rice with a side dish of unappetizing vegetables. Not use to such treatment, Koware created lots of noise to bug the soldiers to release them. "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! WHY ARE YOU STILL KEEPING ME IN HERE?!!"

Hiroshi was too caught up in his malnutrious meal to stop him. He was about to grab Koware's half when the tired, young man snatched it away. "I didn't think you'd eat that thing since you've bragged about how much better you've had."

"So? But I didn't say I was gonna starve myself." He quickly finished his bowl of rice and pouted, "Even if I am a skilled treasure hunter, I was never treated like dirt and not retaliate." He jumped to his feet and rattled the bars. "I DEMAND TO BE RELEASED!! NOOOOOOOOOOW!!"

"Keep it down. Some of us are tired," declared a man in the cell adjacent to theirs.

"Aaah, we'll try," Hiroshi apologized and yanked Koware back. He hushed the warrior and pointed into the other cells. "It's rather crowded in here, don't ja think?" he whispered, noticing that five to six men were packed into the cells like rats. In their own cell, two other men were sharing it as well. One was asleep while the other sat back, seemingly in deep thought. Hiroshi's sharp eyes carefully observed the men in their manner of appearance, which were coincidently similiar.

Koware, sensing something not right was happening, asked no one in particular, "So what are you all in for?"

"Now why didn't I think of asking that?!" Hiroshi realized.

The man who was in deep thought stared at the two new comers. "It's nothing you'd understand."

"How do you know we don't if you don't tell us," Hiroshi stated the obvious. "Don't underestimate me. I can probably guess the reason." He paused, nodding.

The man laughed, "If I were an old man like you, I would be worried about myself instead!" Those who were awake and listening joined him in the humorous retort.

"Heh," he smiled. "For ex-soldiers who are about to eat their last meal, you're pretty laid-back, huh?" The whole section of the dungeon suddenly fell silent, staring at Hiroshi. Receiving bad auras from the stares, Hiroshi impulsively hid behind Koware, who seemed bewildered.

"You mean, the old man's right?" Koware asked. "You guys are soldiers?!"

The man nodded and looked at Koware, "You might not remember, but just a few years after the death of our last emperor, the Kaitou Empire initiated an invasion onto Morin territory. We were the men who fought in that war."

Appalled at such knowledge, the two said simultaneously, "From war heroes to outlaws?! What happened?!"

The man frowned, turning away. "One name. Murakami Yuushi."

Now sitting in the open instead of behind Koware, Hiroshi thought out loud, "Hmm, isn't that technically TWO names?"


"Metsuki-kun," Saguri called, spotting the girl leaving her room. She appeared to be on her way out, which was a prefect time to invite her on a date. He smiled inwardly at an ingenious plan.

She looked up, puzzledly. "Hello, Saguri-san. But weren't you in the study room?" She began to walk with him. Unnoticed by either, a sneaky Masaru continued to follow them.

"Aah, taking a day off will not interfere with my studious mind," he chuckled. "Are you going out today, Metsuki-kun?"

"Yes, I want to get a few things for my parents at home."

"Let me have the honor to accompany you on your errands!"

Masaru dashed out and elbowed Saguri's head to the ground. "Shall I tell the master of the house that his honorable guest is flirting continuously with the servant?!" he said, drilling his elbow and his words into the man's head.

"Masaru! What are you doing?!" Metsuki frowned, glaring at him. "I don't care if other people insult me, but you... YOU can never insult me!" She slapped him and walked away. Confused, Masaru stared at her as she left, thinking she needed a serious attitude adjustment. He burned with anger as he realized that no girl has ever hit him before, recalling the first time she had hit him. She was going to pay for her actions. He just needed to think of how.

Pissed off, Saguri thrusted Masaru from his head, "Look at what you did, fool!" He called after her with no avail. His eyes spun to Masaru, "And what business do YOU have in this?! Unless..."

"Unless what?!"

"Unless you have an interest in her as well," he laughed. He held a triumphant pose as if he had taken first prize in a competition.

"You've got to be kidding! Who'd want a bitchy girl like that?! Only a blind moron." He sneered at Saguri, "Or you."

"Why you..." All he could do was watch Masaru stride away. He swore that if Masaru ever showed up at the palace, he would severly punish him.


Metsuki was still bothered by Masaru's behaviors, wondering why he was treating her like an enemy. She stopped in the middle of the street, "Well I'll just try to ignore him." She glanced to her right and saw Saguri smiling at her. Then she looked to her left and found Masaru looking away somewhere. Sighing and not wanting to ask, Metsuki headed for the market area. She knew it was going to be a long day.

The three took off to the market, silently keeping their thoughts to themselves rather than create a big scene.


"Otou-san," Sunori called his father as he stepped into the man's private office. "You wanted to discuss something with me."

"Hai," replied the man. "Close the doors." He stood up and walked to his son, who did not need to be told to do so after seeing the grave expression of his face. "Sunori, you are my only son and old enough to make your own decisions now." He gestured him to a chair and took a seat himself. "Therefore I will entrust you with everything I have to say."

Sunori wasn't sure of what his father was trying to say, but it wasn't something wonderful. He had never seen him so tense in and hesitant of speaking. It was hopeless to understand his words when he couldn't read what was in the man's head. He quietly sat and listened.

"You must have heard about the Seikuju Bandits being captured." Sunori nodded as Lord Hakuramo continued, "Eight years ago in the Chikai War against Kaitou, these men fought bravely to protect our country. When the war was over, they were immediately ripped of their status--some were killed while others escaped. No one knew why and who ordered it."

"But wasn't Lord Murakami in command? Was he the one?" he piped in.

The man shook his head, "Only the high officers during that time would know, but this isn't the point." He looked seriously at his son. "Tomorrow night is the party in honor of Ginkaji. That is when I want you to get those men out of Ginkaji's hands. Their lives are on the lines." His voice continued to be calm yet with urgency.

"What?!" Sunori got to his feet after hearing such words. "What do you mean, otou-san?!"

"I've received a message from the capitol that Murakami has ordered for their deaths immediately." He turned away, facing his back to Sunori. "As long as I'm alive, I will not let Murakami do as he wishes. After the emperor died, things have changed drastically." Sunori gazed as his father, amazingly. At that moment, he saw a spark of frivilous energy--determination, passion--in his father. He admired him for the loyalty he held in his heart to the past emperor.

Events were reaching its climax--a turning point that could bring victory to Murakami. Sunori had only seen the famous general once in an honoring parade through the capitol. He could remember the look on the man's face: the dark-blue eyes, hiding something he did not know, and the false smile of unknown intentions. His father's voice pulled him back to the present, "Sunori, I will understand if you wish not to participate."

"No, otou-san. It is my duty to you and my country." He nodded with the glitter of passion his father had hoped to see, "And I wish to change Morin... for the better." Lord Hakuramo stared proudly at his son, placing a hand on his shoulder to show his approval and support.


"Tsuki-chan! Welcome!" greet Miyura as Metsuki and Saguri entered the tea shoppe. Masaru was lagging behind, hoping that he wouldn't get maimed by either of the two when he spoke. "And who are these two fine gentlemen?" she smiled.

"Hello, Miyu-chan."

Saguri looked proud, appreciating her compliment. "My name is Saguri, a friend of Metsuki-kun." His tone dropped into a despicable one, "And the creature behind us is unknown and we will gladly find a home for it." His head suddenly becomes a target to a bowl. He turned around, yelling at Masaru, "YOU MANNERLESS FOOL! I WILL HAVE YOU ARRESTED FOR THAT!!"

"Oh dear." Miyura watched the two brawl out in the streets as Metsuki almost banged her head against the wall. "I guess saying they were your boyfriends would stir them up even more?" She looked at the girl, who practically turned red as her skin tone would permit.

"BOYFRIENDS?!" shouted the two violent guys.

Saguri started to blush, "We have not dated yet, but I do hope that time will come. I shall open my heart to her and she to me, and a beautiful relationship shall bloom amidst the summer season..."

Furious, Masaru smacked the wishful-thinking man to the wall, "I'll have you know if she was the last girl on this world, I'd rather burn in the depths of hell ten times over before even looking at her!" He shrugged, "Even a brick would suit me better."

Metsuki's eyes flared in front of him, which frightened him a bit. It was enough he insulted her, but now in public. She grabbed the closest object she could get her hands on and threw a small box of cosmetics at Masaru's face. At the impact, the box opened, and white powder splatter on his face. "I apologize, but next time I'll bring a basket full of bricks."

Miyura giggled, "Don't be so hard on him, Tsuki-chan. He's a nice guy, just stubborn in showing his true feelings." Everyone blinked at her, wondering if a brick didn't fall on her head already. "Don't look at me like I'm crazy. I've been there." She reached below the counter and brought up a package. "Here ya go, Tsuki-chan. I hope your mother gets well."

"Thank you." She stared at the mysterious girl, pondering on what she meant by 'having been there.' On the outside, Miyura might seem like a happy, easy-going girl, but in her eyes, there was sadness. Sad for who or what she didn't know, but the curiosity filled her mind. Metsuki waved her good-bye and left with two bickering boys behind her. She scoffed at the idea of Masaru having TRUE feelings. Even dogs behaved better than him.


Finally, this was her chance to set her plan in action when she saw the three walk away from the shoppe. As loud as she could, she ran screaming from the alley, "SOMEONE HEEEEEEEELP MEEEEEEEEEE!!" She ran and ran until she saw the powdery face of a confused Masaru, and to him, she happily seeked shelter. "Please help me! Really mean men are after me!!"
The three stared at the young woman. Her long blonde hair and green eyes struck both Metsuki and Saguri, "Haven't we met before?"

"Umm..." Nishide was speechless, not expecting them to even remember the likes of her unique image.
"THERE SHE IS!" shouted some voices. Three big men were marching right to them. They seemed more like giant bears than human beings. One of them--perhaps the leader--demanded, "Hand her over! She owe us money!"

Returning to her act, she cried, "But I don't have anymore money! I gave you everything I had!" She held onto Masaru tightly. Metsuki noticed and quickly turned her head away.
"You heard the lady," Saguri said, stepping in front of them. "Picking on a girl in broad daylight, you three are barbarians!"

"YOU DARE INSULT US?!" The man pulled his hand into a fist and aimed it at Saguri's face. The latter easily dodged aside and managed to squeeze in a hard punch to his stomach, sending the big man to the ground.

Saguri smiled, cracking his knuckles, "And how about the rest of you?"

The remaining two looked back at their leader, who was lying unconscious on the ground. Before any of them could take action, a foot landed directly on one man, forcing him to the dirt. Masaru stood proudly at his accomplishment with his foot still on the man's face while speaking to an annoyed Saguri, "I couldn't stand back and let you have all the fun."

The last man trembled like a frightened skeleton and made an escape, which was happily stopped by a red vase. Everyone stared at the source and found Nishide shyly smiling to them, "Well, you two were getting into it." Then the pressure was on when the owner of the broken antique vase began chasing them in the streets.

"Look at the mess you've created, Masaru!" Saguri accused.

"What I did?! It was HER fault!"

"Oh but you did rescue me!" Nishide praised. "Thank you!"

"Will someone just pay for the damage!" Metsuki suggested.

Masaru yelled, "I don't have that kinda money!"

"If that man will just stop chasing us with that big, sharp sword then I will gladly pay him!" Saguri announced, but apparently the owner didn't hear him.


That night, Heisan paid a visit to his young master's room, wondering how the afternoon went with him and Miss Metsuki. When he saw the two of them returned with Masaru and another lady, he wasn't able to get a single word in to his master. But from the various expressions of the four, it gave no clue to whether the event was joyous or disappointing. He had to find out the hard way--asking, which really wasn't something a servant did.

He knocked on the door. "Come in, come in!" replied the voice from the other side. Heisan entered and found Saguri sitting at the table, swinging a small medallion around his finger. "How were the books?" Saguri asked without looking at him.

He stood at the opposite from Saguri, "Very educational."

The medallion stopped spinning in mid-air and hung from his hands. Saguri pounded the table, causing a minor quake to the candle. "The day would have been perfect if that idiot Masaru wasn't there!" He looked thoughtful, "But then again, seeing Metsuki's strong, independent side really fascinated me. I never imagined such a quiet, demure girl could hold such confidence and strength!"

"Then that means..."

"Of course!" He jumped up from his seat in the plight of his excitement.

Heisan frowned, irritated at the emperor's forgetfulness. He didn't mind if it had been a 'crush,' but it would be horrible if Lady Shoutori found out about Metsuki, a maid servant--not a suitable wife for an emperor at all. "But you must remember who you are, Master."

"Do not speak of royalty to me," he warned. "We are not even at the capitol much less in the palace." He was tired of hearing anything about royalty, and just maybe he was tired of it all himself.


"Thanks," Nishide said as she plopped herself onto the bed, which was more comfortable than the one at the inn. She sat back up on the bed and pulled her legs beneath her. "It was really nice of Lady Hakuramo to let me stay here."

"Yes, she and everyone are very nice," Metsuki said. She sat at the table, facing Nishide. With her here, she might not be so lonely after all--not until Sayoko returned. A bit awkward, she didn't know what else to say. She kept thinking of their encounter that afternoon. Images of Nishided falling into Masaru's arms troubled her. "Umm, well... I'll let you settle in." She stood up, preparing herself to leave for bed as well.

"Yeah." She escorted her visitor to the door. "Good night then."

"Good night."

Nishide watched the girl walked down the hall to her room and then closed her doors tightly. She leaned against the wall, smiling to herself. She was quite proud of her plan, but then again, it was a rather stupid mission to begin with. She should have protested, but it was Murakami. She could never turn anything down from him. She stretched her arms and decided to call it a day but now knowing it wouldn't be so lonely.


During the next morning, Nishide found herself with work, helping Metsuki prepare the manor for a party that night. They were in the main gathering room, hanging the decorations on the banisters and walls. It was painful for Nishide since she wasn't used to the labor. She had always been by Murakami's side, so she was privileged with not worrying about such trivial things. She stopped and looked around the room, noticing no one but Metsuki doing her job. Tired, she dropped her aching body into a chair. "How long have we been doing this?!"

Metsuki glanced over to her and smiled. "You're not used to this, are you?"

"No, not really." She rolled her eyes and looked somewhere else besides the girl.

"If it makes you feel better, the women in the kitchen are even busier. They won't have any time to rest until tonight." She walked through an archway towards a small room in the back and returned with vases and flowers. "Sayoko really picked a great time to leave."

"Oh, you mean that noisy girl," Nishide inquired. Metsuki nodded, sorting out the flowers to arrange them. It was quiet around there but also really busy, which would have been great if Sayoko was around to help.


Masaru flung the doors opened, demanding to know, "Sunori, are you in here?!!" He looked around the room then at the bed and frowned. "Still in bed?" He marched over there.

Sunori curled himself into a ball under the covers. Feeling exhausted, he said, "Go away. I don't feel good today."

"What?!" His frown became menacing. "Aaargh, if you stay here all day, I'll be so bored!! I won't have anyone to fight!" Upset, he sat in a chair, quietly thinking of what he should do.

"Go spar with my dad if you have to," he groaned, "but please leave. I really want to get some rest."
Masaru's eyes lit up, "Hmm, that's right. Your dad used to be with the Imperial Army." He got up and started to bolt for the exit. Before he was gone, he said, "You better get well soon, Sunori."

When the doors were closed, Sunori pulled the covers aside and sat up on the bed for a few moments. He recalled his talk with his father yesterday and quickly got off the bed to get dressed. His father had told him, "The only time to get them out is... tonight." As he put on his boots, he realized what his father had done, purposely setting up the party.


Evening soon came, delighting everyone that work was now over and the festivities would begin. Guests were already filing into Hakuramo Manor, being greeted by the host and his wife. Ginkaji eventually arrived at the manor in a sedan, carried by two men. The sedan was set down, and then one of the men lifted the curtain up, allowing Ginkaji to exit easily. He shook Lord Hakuramo's hand, "Hakuramo-san, you shouldn't have gone to all this trouble."

"It's very rare to have people from the capital praise us, so we must celebrate the honor," Lord Hakuramo laughed and led his guest to the main room, where family and friends had gathered. The two companions went to the head of the room and sat in their reserved places while everyone else took their designated spots below the platform.

Masaru and Saguri sat near Lady Hakuramo since the young men were personal guests of the family and plus, the lady of the house could keep them out of trouble. Metsuki and Nishide had the opportunity to serve their guests, which wasn't either of the girls' desire. "More wine over here!" Masaru blurted at Metsuki while waving his drinking cup in the air. Politely and patiently, Metsuki obliged with his request and then returned to Ginkaji's side.

Saguri drank his wine while glaring at a soon-to-be-drunken Masaru. "You are a beast," he said. "You don't treat women like objects."

"Of course not, idiot," he retorted. "I treat HER like that. And Sayoko... and all girls who annoy me."

"Well, that seems to cover every one of them," he smirked.

Every now and then Metsuki would take a moment to devour the breathtaking scenery of lavishing party. The nobility really knew how to live well. It was already a privilege for her to be able to see such a party. She was busy admiring the dresses the women were wearing that she didn't realize the next meal course had arrived until she noticed Nishide making faces at her. Metsuki nearly knocked the servant down as she turned to take the dish from him. "Sorry," she said and then set the dish in front of Ginkaji.


Meanwhile at the courthouse, a man had penetrated the outer sanctions leading to the dungeons. He was dressed in black from head to toe, letting him blend in with the night. Even the lower half of his face was covered. A sword was strapped to his back as he carefully made his way down the stairway. When he reached a corner, he paused and slowly peeked around and saw three guards.

He then bent down and picked up a stone and threw it into the open pathway. The guards heard the noise and immediately went to inspect. As they came close to the corner, the man jumped out and punched the first guard in the face, knocking him unconscious. The other two went for their swords, but the intruder knocked them off their feet. He grabbed his sword and pointed to them as a warning to stay quiet. The men impulsively begged for mercy to spar their lives. The stranger said disappointedly to them, "These are the men the people of Morin have faith in to protect them?"

Offended, the two ignored the sword pointing at their lives and lunged at their captor. The man had no intention of killing them, so he dodge their assault and struck them on their heads with the hilt of his sword. He pulled down the cloth covering his mouth and nose to reveal Sunori. "It pains me to think of what their superiors are like." He slipped his sword in the scabbard on his back and continued his mission.

As his father had planned, there weren't many guards tonight due to protecting Justice Ginkaji at the party. Sunori finally came to an iron door. He kicked it in, expecting a few guards as well. The two that were posted there jumped from their seats at the sight of him. "You've chosen the wrong place to be!" warned one of them.

Sunori smiled slightly. "This is where the Seikuju Bandits are, ne?" The men didn't answer, just preparing to defend themselves. "Then this isn't the wrong place."

"You're one of 'em?!" They charged at Sunori, but the latter leapt away and rolled towards a table. He grabbed the jugs of wine and threw it at them. The guards swung their swords at the jars, shattering them. Sunori took the chance and kicked one of them in the chest, sending them to the hard wall. The guard left standing was about to escape, but Sunori kicked a stool at the door, closing the only escape route. After a dagger embedded into the wall, inches away from the soldier's face, he fainted.

Sunori rubbed the back of his head, a bit surprised by the reaction. "I really wasn't expecting THAT from him."


Hiroshi was standing by the door to the cell, listening to the faint echoing down the corridor. He leaned against the bars, letting his arms rest between them. Koware and the bandits were resting, not sensing anything wrong. "Maybe we'll be getting out of here soon," Hiroshi mused.

Koware opened his eyes and glanced over at the old man. "You said something?" Hiroshi was about to reply when the door at the end of the corridor flew open and an unfamiliar person rushed in. The commotion woke up everyone, and they climbed to their feet as Sunori started to smash the locks with his sword. "Who are you?" demanded one of the bandits.

"Just a nobody who can't stand the injustice," Sunori answered. In a few minutes, everyone was freed including Hiroshi and Koware. The men graciously thanked him. "You better hurry. Word will get to Ginkaji soon. It's probably best if you leave the country."

"Don't worry," said a man who seems to be in charge, "There is one place they'll never dare search." He observed Sunori carefully, impressed that such a young man would risk his life for strangers. "Please tell us your name, so that one day our debt will be repaid in full."

Sunori shook his head. "There's no need. This is a favor to my father and to myself. Your safety is all that is needed." He smiled, "I'm sure we'll meet again." The men nodded and quickly left, leaving Sunori behind with Hiroshi and Koware. He turned to them, "You two aren't with them, are you?" They appeared differently from the other men. One was quite old and the other quite young to have participated in the Morin-Kaitou War.

"Oh no!" Hiroshi answered. "Our case had to do with misunderstanding."

Sunori nodded, smiling. "I see. It was a good thing I came tonight too, or else more innocent lives would've been lost."

"What do you mean?" Koware inquired.

"Tomorrow morning would've been your last day."

"WHAAAAAAAT?!" Hiroshi cried. Weeping like a child, he hugged a surprised Sunori. "OhThankKami-samaForOurHero! I'mStillAlive! I'mStillAlive!" He started dancing in the room full of cells. Sunori turned at Koware with the 'is-this-old-man-for-real' look. Koware just shrugged.


Back at Hakuramo Estate, the party seemed to be going well. Everyone was having a good time, but what they didn't know were beings lurking outside the manor. They were a group of six men, who were set on completing their goal that night. The man wearing a dark bandana on his head motioned the others to take their places on the other nearby buildings. He then leapt up to the roof with another man carrying a bag.

When they made it to the top, they quietly peered over and saw the main room where Ginkaji and everyone were in. The man with the luggage slowly took out a crossbow from the bag and carefully aimed it towards the head of the room, directly at Ginkaji's head. He then set an arrow in place and signaled to the other men who were scattered across the roof. He had to wait until the girl was out of the way before he could shoot. Their only target was Ginkaji.


Ginkaji sensed something was wrong but couldn't figure out what it was. He kept his cheerful face as he scanned the room. No one seemed suspicious, not even Hakuramo. Maybe he was just paranoid after what happened with Torasaki. He knew from his first encounter with Murakami that the man was a very dangerous person. And now with the mysterious Torasaki under his service, who knows how powerful Murakami had become.

Metsuki cleared the dishes from Ginkaji's sight and asked him, "Ginkaji-sama, would you like anything else?" He waved his hand, gesturing that it was enough. It was the moment that the girl was about to leave that the deep sensation of life or death came to him. He grabbed the girl's wrist and intuitively pulled her in front of him, causing all eyes on them.

An arrow zoomed into the room directly at Metsuki's upper back, but it suddenly ricocheted off her body. The sudden impact forced Metsuki forward, leaning against the table. Everyone stood up, shocked at what happened, while soldiers ran into the room. Ginkaji immediately ducked aside, commanding, "ASSASSINS!! CAPTURE THEM!!" The soldiers outside were already in puruit of the assassins.

Lord Hakuramo calmed his guests down as his wife checked on Metsuki. Nishide helped her up as the girl felt a little pain in her shoulders. Everyone had seen what happened to the arrow, and they were certain it would've hit her, but the arrow laid there on the floor, stained with no blood. Masaru walked over to the arrow and picked it up, staring at it. Lady Hakuramo was surprised Metsuki wasn't bleeding, "Metsuki, are you sure you are fine?"

She nodded, "I'm okay, but it does hurt a bit." She didn't know what was going, but after Ginkaji grabbed her wrist, her whole body felt hot as if all the blood in her body was boiling until something collided with her. Nishide glanced at Ginkaji, who was quite irritated at the attempt at his life.
"Your actions are unforgivable!" Saguri announced as he spoke to Ginkaji. "For your selfishness, you put the life of a young girl in danger! You deserve no recognition of honor!" Metsuki reached up to Saguri's hand, getting his attention. She shook her head, not wanting the man to be humiliated because of a servant girl. Saguri understood what she wanted but couldn't believe she would overlook it. Ginkaji was dealt a great blow but from a mere boy--he couldn't lose face.

Masaru couldn't believe what he saw on the arrow. Inscribed on the arrowhead was an outline of a hawk. It was an image he'd never forget. The sound of fighting was brought closer to the inner room, and soon the soldiers and assassins were in view outside the pavilion. Ginkaji demanded them to be captured alive. Masaru carefully observed the assassins, hoping to recognize one of them.

On another rooftop, Sunori perched and watched what was happening below. He noticed the men were dressed similar to the Seikuju Bandits. If they were the bandits who didn't get caught, then what were they doing there. More importantly was how he was going to get them out. What surprised him more was Masaru jumping into the fight against one of the men--the man with the bandana. "What is he doing?" Sunori whispered.

Masaru dodged aside as a fist flew by his head. He caught the man's arm and bent it back towards his opponent, getting in a few words, "You're Youji?!"

The man was surprised someone knew him, and the person was a boy at that. "Who are you?!" He thrusted Masaru back and continued a series of punches. Masaru allowed his defense to weaken, letting one of the punches finally connect to his face. He wiped the blood from his mouth and charged at the man. The man pushed himself into a protective stance as he caught the charging Masaru, realizing who the young man was. "You're Tsurara's boy!"

Masaru smirked, "If you wanna get out alive, then you know what to do."

Youji smiled and grabbed Masaru's arm, twisting it around the boy and getting him into a lock. He shouted to the others to stop fighting. "If you don't want us to kill the boy, then let us go!" Lord Hakuramo stepped forward, gesturing towards Ginkaji to not to do anything hasty.

"Very well," he said. "If you guarantee he will return safely, then we will allow you to leave."

"Hakuramo-san!" Ginkaji objected, not caring who the hostage was. It was at that moment Sunori decided he had to do something. He pulled the cloth over the lower half of his face and jumped down behind the soldiers blocking the escape. He knocked them out, allowing Youji and Masaru to flee. The rest of the assassins joined their unknown rescuer, who soon took over most of the fights.

"GET GOING!" the masked stranger yelled for the others to leave. When he was the one left, he ceased fighting and extended his arms in surrender. The soldiers took him by the arms and held swords to his neck. Lord Hakuramo frowned slightly as Ginkaji walked up to the prisoner and unmasked him. Everyone gasped as they saw Sunori glaring at Ginkaji.

"Sunori!" Lady Hakuramo wanted to run to her son's side, but her husband stopped her.

"What's the meaning of this?!" Ginkaji demanded. He turned around and looked at Lord Hakuramo gravely. This could be the chance to convict Hakuramo and his whole family.

"Stop it!" Sunori shouted. "My family has nothing to do with this!" Ginkaji spun around and faced the young Hakuramo. "I was tired of your greed and selfishness! Blaming innocent people of your crimes!" Ginkaji slapped him hard, causing his mouth to bleed, but it didn't stop Sunori from speaking. "I took it upon myself to stop you!"

"That's enough!" He commanded, "Lock him up! I shall deal with him tomorrow!"

Saguri had seen enough. Even if he had stayed with the Hakuramo family for a few days, he knew that they were kind people and Sunori most of all had a rational mind. Heisan knew what his young master was going to do but couldn't stop him. Saguri brushed him aside. "You're right, Ginkaji-san. I will not allow you to undermine the laws of this country."

"And who are you to tell me what to do?"

"As emperor of Morin," Saguri smiled as he heard gasps and snickers. Ginkaji smirked, not believing a word until Saguri ushered Heisan to take out a rectangular, golden medallion. He held it up for all to see, and everyone present--excluding the emperor and his servant--knelt in reverence.

"Your Majesty!"


Almost out of the city limit, Youji slowed his pace down and turned into an empty alley. He waited for Masaru and the other men to join him. Masaru walked into the dark alley, glancing back at the men, who kept their guards up for anyone suspicious. "What were you doing there?" Youji asked the red-head.

Masaru smirked, "I should ask you that."

One of the men asked their leader, "Youji-san, you know this kid?"

He nodded and spoke to Masaru, "It's been about nine years, hasn't it, Masaru?" The young man agreed as Youji turned away, recalling the last time they met. "I bet your mother hasn't changed a bit, huh? Still the dominating Tsura-chan I know." He looked at Masaru, "But what's her boy doing with Ginkaji? I didn't think she would let you wander off like this."

Masaru crossed his arms and leaned against the wall. "I've got nothing to do with him." He grinned. "I'm a man. I can't let her shelter me for the rest of my life. It's crazy enough with the place mixed with women." Youji laughed, understanding his predicament with the women of the Sabano Tribe. "I don't find it amusing."

"Most men would envy you. Surrounded by gorgeous women, and not too shabby at fighting either." He walked pass Masaru and stood at the mouth of the alley. "Putting women problems aside, Ginkaji is bad news. I don't want to see you caught in the middle."

He glanced at Youji, looking thoughtful. "Have you taken on a murderous lifestyle? I don't blame you. It does bring in good pay." Youji turned to him, looking serious. He was about to explain, but a flare exploded in the night sky. The men looked up and then prepared to leave. Masaru knew it was some kind of signal, but what it meant, he did not know. "What's happening?" he asked.

Youji watched his men leave first and then said to him, "The men who were captured are now free." Masaru was puzzled. "We gave our lives for our country, and this is what we get," he said, shaking his head, "But it doesn't matter. As long as our hearts remain on that path, we will continue to punish the traitors of the 'Old System.'" He grinned, "I don't know if we'll ever meet again, but tell your mother I said 'hi.' And you stay out of trouble too." He left.

Masaru smiled, "Times are changing, but some people are still the same." He had only met Youji a few times, but during those moments, he had looked up to him like a father figure. Youji and his mother had a long history together, ranging back from childhood, but too bad his mother was deeply in love with his father. Even after Masaru's father died, Youji knew he could never have a chance. It was probably one of the reasons that lead him to the life of a Seikuju bandit. The things people do in the name of love. Masaru hoped he would never fall on that path of heartache.


By the time Masaru returned to the Hakuramo's place, he saw soldiers posted around the area as if there was a valuable treasure in the home. He walked up to the gates but was stopped. The guard warned him, "This place if off limits to everyone."

"What do ya mean 'off limits to everyone?'" Masaru demanded. "I was just taken hostage! And now I can't even return home?!" It was lucky for him Nishide came out and hugged him. He wasn't happy but a bit relieved, seeing a familiar face. "What's goin' on, Nishide?" He pushed her away from him.
She turned to the guard, "He's the young master's friend, so everything's okay." She took Masaru inside and explained to him what he missed when he was a POC, 'prisoner of a confict'. "Everything is so crazy now!"

Masaru stopped her halfway to the gathering room, somewhat bothered by one aspect of the evening event. "Let get this straight... That arrogant, lovesick fool is the emperor of Morin?!" Nishide nodded, grinning at his unbelieving expression. "NO WAY!! I WON'T BELIEVE IT!" He shoved her aside and marched right to the little meeting room. Nishide quickly followed him, and the two arrived to see Saguri sitting at the head while the Hakuramos stood to one side and Ginkaji to the other. All heads turned to Masaru when he appeared.

"Are you all right, Masaru?" Sunori asked, still dressed in black. His friend only nodded, not being able to say anything after seeing the situation for himself. He just walked over to Sunori's side and stood there. Saguri mentally frowned to himself, having wished Masaru to never return.

Lord Hakuramo spoke, "As much as we welcome your stay, Your Majesty, but for your safety and the future of this country, it is best if you return to the palace." He bowed, hoping his suggestion would not anger the young man. "I am sure Justice Ginkaji would agree as well." At the mention of his name, Ginkaji also bowed, silently cursing Hakuramo for bringing him into it.

"Hakuramo-san is right, Your Majesty," Heisan added. "A day without a ruler is like a day without water. Morin cannot survive without a leader. The country will be thrown into chaos and will be an easy target for invasion." As much as he wanted to relinquish those words, Saguri had to accept his fate. He was a ruler of a country and couldn't sacrifice it for his selfish needs. Even if he wanted to object, he had no choice when a group of men entered the room. Ginkaji recognized one of them as Torasaki.

The man in charged took his helmet off and knelt below the platform at Saguri's feet. He announced, "I am Lieutenant Commander Gotou in Lord Murakami's services." He stood up as Torasaki handed him a scroll. He unrolled it and read, "'On behalf of Lady Shoutori, Lieutenant Commander Gotou and his men are to escort His Majesty back to the palace safely. If His Majesty objects, then by any means take him by force, but no harm shall be done unto him.'" He rolled up the scroll and said, "Your Majesty, those are Lord Murakami's words. Lady Shoutori impatiently awaits your return."

Saguri dropped his weary head into his hand, sighing. "It doesn't seem I have any other alternatives. All right, we shall leave tomorrow morning." He stood up, speaking to the Hakuramos and Ginkaji, "In the matters of Hakuramo Sunori, all charges will be dropped against him and no further pursuit of this will be allowed." Ginkaji was about to protest, but Saguri continued, "Since Ginkaji-san was not injuried in the assault. I will speak to Lord Murakami about the Seikuju Bandits."

Ginkaji nodded, "As you wish."

"Many things have happened tonight, so we all must be exhausted. Let us retire for the night."


Metsuki sat up in her bed, not being able to sleep. Lady Hakuramo had insisted that she rested herself even if she didn't appear physically injured. How could she sleep when they were discussing something important out there. It didn't involve her, but it definitely did for Sunori and Saguri. She couldn't believe Saguri was the emperor of Morin, and to be outside the palace was something she never thought emperors would do.

Putting that aside, she didn't know what was happening to herself. Nishide had told her about the arrow that was intended for Ginkaji. Anyone who heard that would find it impossible, even she did, but it did happen to her. She could have been killed, but what had caused the deflection. It was as if a wall was casted around her, but she had never seen any type of magic before. There were few people who could cast magic, and even fewier who could cast more powerful ones.

She pulled her legs up to her chest and hugged them like a frightened child. She didn't know what laid ahead, but it was going to be a difficult path after tonight.


TO BE CONTINUED... Chapter Five: Farewell to the Old Life