Fan Fiction ❯ Sacred Pentacle ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
 
 
There was a bright flash of lightning. Darkness was everywhere. Mystic fog was residing, beyond which, was a figure. A woman of great long hair stood on a huge rock clinging at the edge of a crag. She closed her eyes to avoid another blinding flash of lightning. The sky thundered then roared echoes heard all through out the horizon.
 
A gust of wind came and whispered her name. It called for her. She opened her eyes and looked down, curious of what she had heard. The ground below her was all black with a few fiery glows. Instantly, she lunged forward throwing herself off the cliff. She plunged into the darkness that swallowed her whole.
 
She found herself wandering in the shadows with only the faint light of the crescent moon as her guide. She created havoc wherever she went like the devil destroying where he reins, how ironic, but he is the devil is he not? Yet as she did so, in her eyes you can see her unwillingness. That somehow she didn't like what she's doing. Her eyes became filled of sorrow and dislike, seemingly pleading for salvation from this wretched place, this abyss. Yet her face remained without emotion, without any kind of sadness. Her face was suddenly full of anger and mixed glee for reasons only she knew.
 
Then from a distance, a ray of light was sighted. She stopped and stared at this apparition. A young man with his hair of silver and clothes of gold appeared within the light. His face so angelic, gentle and smiling, with open arms he welcomed and invited her to him. He looked like, like a god… perhaps he is. And tearfully, she ran to him and they were locked in a great embrace.
 
Bright light shone… and there was none…
 
 
Ajine! Wake up!” someone screamed but blonde ignored it and just turned to the other side.
 
“Arrgh…” suddenly the plain purple blanket that was wrapped around Ajine was pulled causing her to fall, face down from her bed.
 
“What the heck did you do that for?” she protested finally opening her sky-shaded eyes.
 
It was her good old grandpa, Yaren. “When are you ever gonna learn!” he chided. “Your alarm clock has been ringing minutes ago but you didn't budge at all.” His white eyebrows were arching into one long line over his big brown eyes.
 
“Stupid alarm clock!” she murmured scratching her long wavy blond hair.
 
“Better get up now. I thought you said you have a play today.” He pulled the blue drapes to one side of his grandchild's window. Sunlight scattered into the room and glistened on his white hair that he wore long and loose over his shoulder.
 
“Yes! I almost forgot. Thanks grandpa!” Ajine bolted awake. She kissed his cheek and zoomed out to the bathroom.
 
“What about - that child!” He meant the untidy bed Ajine left. Yaren could only sigh.
 
 
Hi Grandma!” Ajine greeted. She entered their humble dining room that was decorated with fading painted violets that her grandma loved.
 
“Ajine you're finally awake I see.” was the fervent reply of Sharei, she looked once to Ajine and back to chopping some greens. Ajine's grandmother had an affable face and gray hair tied in a bun above her head.
 
“Yes…” Ajine sat herself down a wooden stool opposite her grandmother and started to eat.
 
“Mizumeko called. He said he wants to go and watch your play today so he wants you two to go together.” She said without taking her solemn lime green eyes off her chopping.
 
“I hate that brat!” Ajine mumbled as she continued to devour all the food. “This is great food grandma!” She took from all the porcelain plates on the table… left and right… left… right…
 
“Don't eat from the plate at the far left. It's last night's dinner… for the cats.” Her grandma mentioned but it was too late.
 
Ajine immediately threw up everything.
 
Today is going to be a big day because today the long awaited school play will show and Ajine has been working real hard to impress the people she was working with. It will be the start of her new career as a great actor.
 
“I'm here!” Finally, he arrived, the 10-year-old brat who lives just next door. He was a thin boy with big nerdy glasses and unkempt dark brown hair.
 
“Mizumeko…” Ajine said dryly and she turned the TV off. She knew pretty well that this boy though seemingly a nice intelligent kid was actually an arrogant spoiled rotten smarty-pants.
 
“Did I keep you waiting? I was too pre-occupied with playing with my new PS 2 that I almost lost track of the time.” He spoke in a tone that was proud and intentionally irritating. He removed his eyeglasses and cleaned them using a white handkerchief, his black eyes staring intently at Ajine.
 
Ajine could feel her blood boil. “Quit bragging kid! …Grandma we're leaving.” Ajine said and then stood up from the peach suede couch.
 
“Alright. Good luck child.”
 
“Thanks…” they left to go to their school, Ruraipa College.
 
 
So you're gonna be the ugly guy. Esaias, huh?” said Mizumeko. They were riding on a white and green bus with a decoration of a small green hat painted below the driver's window. Some old music was playing on the radio. They sat right next to each other, Ajine on the window's side and then Mizumeko beside her.
 
“Be quiet. The only reason why I'm with you is because grandma likes you and if you don't quit yapping, I'll ditch you for good. I have vital information that you can't go home commuting by yourself.” Ajine said in rapid succession. She really disliked this boy.
 
Finally, he silenced himself.
 
Ajine looked outside the clear window. Traffic was everywhere, so many vehicles stuck on the road. All the various vehicles were bumper to bumper. Smoke was brewing everywhere in this four lane hi-way. The surrounding air constantly disturbed, zigzagged by the searing heat from all the running engines that were continuously burning fuel. She resorted to watching the people outside to save herself from boredom.
 
There was a green Mitsubishi Lancer on the first and farthest lane from the bus. So many car stickers filled it, that it could have only belonged to a guy but instead a fair longhaired girl was at the driver's seat. Ajine could not help but notice a hot pink jelly bag that was by the passenger's seat. Right behind that Lancer was a lustrous black Ford Expedition, driven by a shorthaired chubby girl, who Ajine remembered as a famous child actress now seemingly in the verge of an identity crisis.
 
By the second lane, a little closer to Ajine's bus was a black Toyota Revo with an immense collection of a well-known cartoon rabbit displayed inside it. Ajine easily saw that a man in his late 40's was driving the vehicle, a lady by the passenger's seat was continuously combing her long almost all black hair but still brown on the tips probably from a three year old color job. There were three more people on the middle seat including a boy with straight shoulder long hair, bouncing up and down while being held upright.A green Honda Starex having colorful Tetris brick stickers complete with the upper compartment ladder followed the Revo. That van was filled with unique passengers. A married couple was by the front, the husband on the wheel and his wife by his side. Seven young students, two boys and the rest girls were all so exhausted that they were all dozing off. Ajine believed that they might have stayed up all night for some project as she often did herself.
 
Next to the black Revo, on the third lane was a metallic gold Suzuki Vitara, which was only slightly tinted that Ajine observed a group of five inside it. There were three sisters that resembled each other that they might have passed as the Charmed Ones except a possibility of another sister cannot be excluded. The eldest sister took the wheel and adjacent to her was her husband. Their cute and almost year old son was leaning on the left side window with his palms plastered on the glass, was staring outside. At the rear of the Vitara was the most gorgeous and stunning blue Opel Tigra Ajine had ever beheld. There were no words to describe it and how amazing that the guy driving it was as equally striking. Too bad that this was actually Ajine's old dream boy way back in the past. She was completely drooling all over him before but that is no longer true. Ajine smiled; of course, it was always pleasing to see him every now and then.
 
Before she could stare at him even longer. The traffic was finally giving way. As the blue Tigra trekked slowly forward a flash of silver metal caught Ajine's eye. A polished motorbike passed in slow-mo as she saw the most handsome guy she had ever seen. He was concentrating on the road though but under his maroon helmet, she saw his soft purple eyes and mop of brown hair. A wave of familiarity, no of love washed over her. Ajine was confused. It's as if time stopped as she stared at him but then it didn't. Behind this handsome guy was a girl riding with him. She had familiar wavy blond hair just like Ajine, to her surprise even. But before she could confirm her likeness to the girl, the motorcycle had already sped away.
 
“Was it just my imagination?” Ajine was left baffled.
 
“What did you say?” asked Mizumeko hearing her.
 
“I think I just saw myself…” She was still dumbfounded.
 
Mizumeko's glasses reflected light, “What? You must be imagining things.”
 
“Whatever.”
 
 
Hey Gekuren!”
 
“Juban!” he greeted back his oak brown hair falling to his shoulders as he removed his head guard. It was the same guy Ajine saw minutes ago.
 
“I see you're with the lovely, Denra.” He meant the girl with the same blond hair and vibrant blue eyes like Ajine. They had just both dislodged from the motorcycle.
 
“Stop! You're making me blush.” She smiled tossing her reflective yellow hair flirtatiously.
 
“Well, what I said is true…” Juban continued, looking at her intently.
 
“Why thank you.” Denra replied with much appreciation.
 
Gekuren smiled weakly as he watched the two fool around and he parked his gleaming Harley to the side of a wide concrete parking lot. There were a fair number of teenagers gathered in several large groups. This spacious school lot was filled with the familiar and the unfamiliar but he didn't feel threatened. He felt secure because he was with her, that most beautiful woman of hair as bright as the sun and eyes like the sea.
 
“Gekuren, I'll just go with the girls over there. See ya later?” She was looking straight at him, smiling, probably wondering why he was staring at her like that.
 
“Okay, see you later.” He answered and shook his head. He had almost forgotten reality.
 
She blew him a kiss and was off.
 
“Man you're real lucky… the most beautiful and popular girl as your girlfriend even though you just moved and all. But then again you've become popular yourself, not to mention you hang out with the coolest people!” Juban kept on blabbering but Gekuren wasn't really listening.
 
He was watching Denra as she chatted with her friends but his gaze was passing right through her. As he looked at her, there was sadness. Serious thoughts clouded over his elegant purple eyes.
 
“Have you been listening? You okay?” Juban asked, concern flashing in his dark beady eyes.
 
“Heard every word… Juban something's wrong with her.” Gekuren began in a sad tone.
 
“What the heck do you mean?”
 
“I mean… Well I've known her for a very long time already - “
 
“Even before you moved here?”
 
“Even before I moved here. `Even before that.'” He wanted to add. “But since I met her here again, she's like a whole different person. It's as if I never knew her.”
 
“She's changed then…”
 
“Changed isn't the right word. More like transformed.”
 
“Transformed… wow! That's major man but she's a nice gal. I mean she doesn't have an attitude problem, does she?”
 
“Maybe a little but... well she's more - uhm - aggressive in a way.”
 
“Aggressive, wwoooww!” Juban's nose began to bleed.
 
“Hey! Be serious!” Gekuren told him.
 
“Okay… she's grown up now. Of course being childhood sweethearts is different from real life lovers. You should realize how real lucky you are.”
 
“Yup lucky,” Gekuren had to agree even if Juban got the wrong idea. He didn't really expect him to understand anyway but deep in his heart he knows she's not the same, maybe not even the same person.
 
 
Everything was much of a blur… Many figures and shapes emerged, a bloody mess caused by war. Corpses were lying everywhere. So many scattered weapons of chivalry and there came five voices… In unison they spoke:
 
“In the name of the five holy warriors of the Sacred Pentacle, Aku-rei you are banished from the face of this world. Go and never again return.”…
 
“Ajine, Ajine, AJINE!!” her name was screamed
 
“What - what?” said Ajine, who was holding onto the blood red velvet curtains.
 
“HEY! Stop clowning around!” A tall and slender man scolded her and pulled the curtain from her grasp, so she fell down, face first, on the floor.
 
“Yes… yes.” She scratched her head as she stood up. She just had another dream - which was more of a vision. She couldn't understand why this was so.
 
That tall red headed man turned his back and checked his notepad.
 
Ajine put her tongue out and mumbled, “You grumpy old grouch!”
 
He suddenly faced her, his narrow brown eyes staring sharply.
 
Ajine flashed her most convincingly innocent smile.
 
So he ignored her and called one of the staff.
 
The play that Ajine was referring to was still going on. She was obviously waiting her turn on the backstage. Ajine had a part in the battle scene. Actually, she's playing as the main villain… with armor, face paint, wig and all. The director of the play is Mr. Fuyutsuki, the `grumpy old grouch' to whom Ajine referred. She obviously disliked him for he was always this stock up and stubborn old man.
 
As he spoke with Neimi, the brunette stage manager, Ajine, being able to get away with her first prank, continuously made silly and annoying faces behind the director's back.
 
He, on the other hand, kept looking behind him but not being able catch Ajine so he just tried to ignore his doubts.
 
Neimi couldn't help but start to giggle secretly. After all, she was witnessing every second of Ajine's theatrical prank.
 
 
What do you think you're doing?” Mr. Fuyutsuki demanded when he caught Ajine red-handed.
 
“Oops…” she stepped back.
 
Neimi shook her brunette head though she remained smiling, “Tsk… tsk… tsk,” she hissed.
 
“He… he he,” Ajine forced a chuckle. She knew she was now in big trouble.
 
Mr. Fuyutsuki was so infuriated that he became red with anger. It's almost as if his red hair would ignite into real flames and then explode as he slowly advanced towards Ajine. His face so angular and so twisted that it resembled one of those traditional wooden masks from Asian countries.
 
Ajine made a couple more steps back… not realizing that she had already gone beyond the side curtains and was already visible to the audience.
 
“Ajine!” Neimi called her but it was too late.
 
“Wa - “Ajine tripped over the trunk that was lying on the floor but she immediately stood up and regained composure.
 
Laughter was heard all over the audience. After all, the antagonist did make a humorous and unexpected entrance. Sweat broke through her painted forehead. Big trouble… o well…
 
“Esaias, what are you doing here?” the one that played Edward, the lead actor, loudly asked.
 
“This isn't your scene yet.” The lead actress as Catherine softly scoffed, glaring at Ajine.
 
Ajine looked at the right side of the stage from where she came from; Mr. Fuyutsuki's angry face welcomed her. He was ready to strangle her only if he could get his hands on her. This was certainly, not how he foresaw the play to turn out. Neither did Ajine but the show must go on.
 
She then shifted her gaze to her two co-actors. Both seemed to be getting impatient. Ajine faced the audience. Some were gasping, waiting for her to deliver her lines. But then she noticed this guy seated at the far side of the upper box. It was as if the world stopped revolving for Ajine. This was the same guy she saw some hours ago.
 
Black jacket, same beautiful brown hair… it can only be him. First, he was watching her intently but then, he turned his head away because someone had called him.
 
 
Gekuren,” there came a call. He instantly turned around though he was starting to get interested in that on-going play. He found Denra on her feet and smiling. They were seated on the upper box since they went in the theater a little late. Denra had excused herself a few minutes ago to go to the comfort room but now she was there beaming at him. He knew she was excited about something
 
“Hey…” was the reply “What is it?” Gekuren grinned, knowing her now this happiness can range from finding the perfect shoe to seeing some old friends.
 
“Look who I found…” she began and stepped to the left, revealing a kid with eyeglasses.
 
“I was the one who found her,” he said firmly.
 
“Sei - “
 
“Its Mizumeko now,” Mizumeko corrected Denra's introduction.
 
“Oh. Okay… why are you here?” Gekuren asked, glad that it was the later.
 
 
I have come to capture the hearts of the people,” Ajine began with a low voice, imitating that of a man. She was determined to impress that guy by her superb - if not beauty considering the current situation then - performance. “And I shall do that literally,” her voice thundered. Her scale armor clanked as she moved.
 
Laughter and applause came again.
 
“I'll never let you do that!” Edward spoke up, bravely. They were by the center-center of the stage. Edward was a convincing knight with his dignified stature. He was slim but compact in built. His black hair was elegantly combed down.
 
“Then we shall battle for your life and Lady Catherine's as well.” Ajine turned and walked heavily to Catherine's direction. Catherine had a face that could launch quite a number of ships but not a thousand though. She was fair-skinned and so the illusion of being a Caucasian was easily established with a blond wig.
 
She instantly ran to Edward's side and said, “No, do not.” She would not risk it of fear. “Esaias is strong. I'm afraid so“
 
“Fear not my beloved, I shall defeat him at all costs,” he assured her. He held her close to him nearly embracing her. It was such a tender moment. They held each other's gaze, so full of love.
 
“How melodramatic...” She bellowed and let out a loud and bored yawn.
 
Edward escaped from Catherine and glared his green eyes at Ajine.
 
Ajine gave him a most intimidating stare. The face paint was emanating malice.
 
“Draw - “Edward stopped, realizing his sword was still on the backstage.
 
“Missing your sword, Sir Edward?” Ajine laughed viciously and gestured to pull her own sword. Then she remembered she left hers as well… Disaster!
 
Catherine panicked and screamed all the way, until she reached the backstage. Her scream was shrill and deafening. It echoed all throughout the stage.
 
The audience grew noisy. Some were laughing and others were getting a bit annoyed. This was a very awkward moment.
 
Edward grabbed two of the bamboo sticks on the floor and tossed Ajine one of them. Soon afterward, they started an epic duel. Both were truly skilled and this battle was real. They never really practiced at all. After all, they were two of the best sword handlers in Ruraipa College.
 
 
I just happen to study here and you two?” Mizumeko asked in return.
 
“We study in Anruto University - “
 
Mizumeko cut Denra off, “Yeah one of the schools invited - “
 
“Required you mean,” Denra was annoyed by his rude interruption.
 
“Yep… required to come and watch,” Gekuren agreed.
 
… “You two are still together obviously.”
 
Gekuren bit his lip. His doubts were suddenly overwhelming.
 
“Yes.” Denra put her hands around Gekuren's neck and hugged him tightly. “We only met a week ago since he moved from Inisuo…”
 
“You're choking me!”
 
“Sorry… so sorry,” she apologized, patting his head.
 
“I moved here because of the imminent danger.” Gekuren turned serious, diverting his thoughts.
 
“That…” Mizumeko knew about it too.
 
“Why is this going to happen? WE banished him… how can he - “
 
Mizumeko interrupted Denra again, “We can't talk of this here. How did you come to know?” he wondered.
 
“Nekuri,” they answered in unison.
 
“Nekuri…” Mizumeko repeated fervently. “Who's Nekuri? I don't know her!”
 
“That's Naminori's name now,” Gekuren replied with a smile.
 
“Oh…” There was something weird in his tone.
 
“She came to me in a dream. She spoke of the great danger and that I have to come to Anruto.” Gekuren told his story.
 
Denra nodded, “With me, I met her one day on my way to school. She told me the same thing,” she explained. “She also told me that she works in a restaurant near my school and that we could reach her there. And my parents happen to own that restaurant.”
 
“I see…”
 
“Hey, that Esaias guy is pretty good,” Gekuren mentioned. He was watching the battle on stage.
 
“It's not staged, is it?” Denra wished to know. She stood behind Gekuren.
 
“It ain't.” Gekuren immediately answered.
 
“That Esaias isn't a guy at all. She's Ajine Bisanei a friend of mine,” Mizumeko said with pride.
 
“She's great. Her sword skills… remind me of yours…” Gekuren meant Denra.
 
Denra's lips curled into a straight line as they continued to watch. She realized that Gekuren was right. She tightened her grip on the back of Gekuren's seat.
 
“Why, what's wrong?” Mizumeko sensed her distress.
 
“Well. I can't handle a sword at all… fight I mean. I really don't know.” She sounded depressed.
 
“It's okay…” Gekuren held her hand.
 
Denra forced a smile.
 
“Real odd,” was all Mizumeko said.
 
 
Hey great job A!” This was the warm welcome Ajine received when she entered the dressing room. The play was already over but she still had her full costume on since Mr. Fuyutsuki practically escorted her to his office immediately after the play.
 
She raised her gloomy face to see, Kaimaru, the one who played Edward, gel up his short black hair by the wide mirror hanging on the wall. He wore lazy jeans and a plain green shirt that said `Rave Master' in big bold white letters.
 
“Yeah… I almost ruined the whole play.” She replied dryly and slumped on a chair next to Kaimaru, letting her scale armor drop on the white cement floor.
 
“Don't say that. I think you saved the audience from boredom. They loved your comic lines and actions.” He continued and faced her with a big optimistic smile. His comforting green eyes twinkling.
 
“Thanks, K.” she finally smiled. It was really great that at least someone was happy about her performance even though Mr. Fuyutsuki hated it. He even said that he'd never cast her again. Ajine was sure that it was definitely the end of her acting career.
 
“Ajine…” he lifted her chin using his right index finger. “You shouldn't let Mr. Fuyutsuki get to you.” He was so close to her and was looking intently at her.
 
“Guess you're right.” She couldn't help but blush. Kaimaru was so sweet today and she couldn't deny how cute he looked as his green shirt complemented his green eyes. Ajine shook her head. What was she thinking? Kaimaru was her best friend. Suddenly, a pang of guilt hit her. She remembered that handsome guy on the motorcycle. Who was he and how come he seemed so familiar?
 
“Ajine?” Kaimaru called her back to reality. He was already walking around the dressing room, picking up some of his stuff that was scattered on the floor.
 
“Where's everybody else?” she asked.
 
“There's a massive fest in the rehearsal hall remember? They're probably all there eating their hearts out! Why don't you join them?” he stuffed his medieval costume on his gray sports bag.
 
“I don't want to see Mr. Fuyutsuki…” She said as she watched him. Kaimaru has been her childhood friend ever since she could remember. He was a few years older than her. She couldn't imagine life without him by her side. “You know I'm really going to miss you…” her frank words caught her off guard.
 
His green eyes softened even further. He walked to her side and sat next to her. “Well I'm going to miss you too. And it's not like we won't see each other again. Mirra is not really so far.” He paused to look at her.
 
“Kaimaru!” was all Ajine could answer. She was close to tears. She felt like she was losing her friend all together.
 
“Hey! Don't cry on me… Fine! I'm treating you the day after tomorrow, after our match, regardless of the result.”
 
“Okay!” Ajine wiped her eyes and agreed. She knew she was overreacting but then… “Are you asking me out?” she teased regaining herself.
 
“Ha!” I'm pretty sure you and you're friends would just love to gossip about that! Anyway, I have to go dad's waiting for me outside. We need to do some more packing. See ya!” he stood up, made a lil salute and ran out the door.
 
Ajine could only sigh. He was really going to leave and for good. She stood up and gathered her things. There was nothing more she could do.
 
 
Ajine was walking around searching for Mizumeko on the hallway near the auditorium while Gekuren, Denra and Mizumeko were walking to the exit. When all of a sudden Gekuren saw a girl he thought was Denra on the other side of the glass wall. But Denra was right beside him, walking…