Fan Fiction ❯ Tempest's Struggle ❯ Tempest's Struggle ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tempest's Struggle

Tempest finished dressing when she strapped her sword belt on her waist. She calmly slipped her wrist high, brown gloves, and then walked over to the mirror in her cozy cabin. She sighed and watched her mirror image do the same. Tentatively, she ran her hand over her mirror image. She had grown much in the past ten years. Her black hair had grown from her shoulders to her waist, and she had also grown taller and had filled out. One thing that had never changed however was her eyes, one light blue; the other was sea foam green. Perhaps that was why the infamous Captain Blaze Fury had taken such an interest in her.

Tempest snorted. 'Why else would someone give a street rat a home?' she thought bitterly.

This made her feel even worse. Blaze had died two years ago, and it did not seem right to tarnish Captain Blaze's name like that.

She was brought out of her thoughts when she heard a knock at her door.

"You alright Captain?" asked Jones, her First mate.

Tempest's eyes softened and lost some of their pained, haunted look. Jones had always been there for her ever since she had been brought here so long ago.

"Yeah I'm fine," She shouted back before opening up the door.

Jones stepped back as Tempest opened the door. He was an old man of fifty. With his beard and long gray hair, one could call him perfect pirate material, his kind face made up for that.

"Are you ready Captain?"

Tempest took a deep breath and then nodded. "Yes."

"Good," Jones said giving her a kind smile and a fatherly hug. "Remember how Blaze was when addressing the crew. Use a confident voice and an arrogant stance. Make them remember who is boss."

"Ok." Tempest practically squeaked. She had always been terrified of speaking in front of the crew. Tempest took in a huge breath and let the feel of the air expanding her lungs comfort her. ********

Jones watched with an almost fatherly pride as she composed herself before addressing the crew. She had grown so much. Now at the ripe age of eighteen, Jones figured that it was time for her to take the place as captain on this ship. Ever since Blaze left him…and the crew of course, the ship had been captain less.

A wave of nostalgia washed over him. Tempest had been such a small kid, grubby from running on the street. Something that always was a mystery to Jones was the fact that even though Tempest was only eight when they found her, she should still be able to remember things from her childhood. However, when they found her she was dressed in noble clothes and had no memory about where she had come from or how she had ended up on the street. It was common for children to grow up as beggars on the street but they always knew why.

"I did it Jones!" Tempest said engulfing the old man in a hug. "I really did it!"

"See. I knew you could."

"I didn't think that I could! I had butterflies in my stomach and I felt like I couldn't breathe, and then I got up there and I felt my adrenaline rush and I started talking and everyone listened! It was so amazing! I think I can actually do this! I can take Blaze's place and be the best captain ever!"

Jones smiled at her elation. "Blaze would be very proud of you."

Tempest raised an eyebrow at him. Jones immediately noticed his mistake and felt his cheeks color. "I mean CAPTAIN Blaze would be very proud of you."

"I hope so," Tempest said, her face being overcome by a somber expression. "It's the least I can do for her."

Jones bowed his head in a moment of silent respect for the dead captain.

Tempest cleared her throat. "We are going to make berth soon. So…can you instruct the crew?"

Jones nodded. "Aye, aye Captain."

Tempest bit her lip and watched him go before returning to her cabin.

*********

An hour later, the Sea Queen was officially docked at Tanza, the place where Tempest was found. Every year, Tempest came here to try and find her roots with no luck thus far.

She dismissed the crew and left Jones in charge of the ship before departing off the ship and finding the local tavern. She wrinkled her nose against the smell of stale smoke and the pungent smell of alcohol.

She sat down at a table and waited for service.

"What can I get for ya hun?" asked one of the serving wenches.

"A room for the night and a pitcher of ale," She answered in a clipped voice.

"Alright love."

The serving wench left and Tempest looked around while she waited for her order. A cloaked figure and a stout man caught her attention. They were whispering quietly in a shadowed corner of the room.

"Here you are hun."

Tempest was brought out of her musings by the serving wench, setting her ale in front of her.

"Thanks." Tempest muttered before tossing a few coppers into the wench's hand.

Tempest studied the two figures in the corner before tossing her head back and gulping her ale down quickly. She then grabbed her room key and set out to take a walk around the small port town.

While walking down the cobbled main road, she spied an old beggar woman. Tempest, understanding the beggars position, bent down and handed the woman a few copper coins, just enough for a meal.

"Thank you dearie." The woman said, looking up at Tempest.

"You're welcome." Tempest said smiling.

Her smile quickly turned to a frown when she noticed the woman was openly gawking at her eyes.

"I beg your pardon m'lady I did not know it was you."

Tempest blinked, very confused. "What are you…?"

"I have not seen you since you was a child pardon me if I didn't recognize you."

Tempest backed away. "You must have me confused with someone else. I am not a noble."

The beggar shook her head adamantly. "No it is you. You have the eyes of the O'Bryan family."

"O'Bryan family?" She asked quizzically.

"The richest nobles in the Caribbeans."

Tempest shook her head. "You must be mistaken. I am from here, Tanza."

The beggar women studied Tempest's face for a minute. "If you say so." she said doubtfully.

Tempest nodded goodbye and continued on her way to the dock, shaking her head as if physically shaking it would make her forget the strange conversation.

*****

Jones watched anxiously as Tempest strolled onto the deck.

Tempest immediately noticed his discomfort and asked him what was wrong.

"A messenger came around today asking for you."

"Me? What ever for?" she asked puzzled. No one had even known she was taking over for Blaze yet.

"Well not specifically but the captain of the Sea Queen."

"What did they say?"

"You were to meet a man by the name of Serge in the Thieves Den," Jones said, referring to the local tavern/inn.

"But I was just there, getting a room for tonight," She said confused. "I didn't see anyone…peculiar…" She stopped and thought about the two shady men she saw.

"What is it Captain?" asked Jones.

"Never you mind. Did the messenger say when he would be coming back?" "Sometime this evening."

"I see. I suppose I shall be waiting for him then. I will be in my cabin if you need me."

Jones nodded his head. "Aye aye Captian."

Tempest sighed and retreated to her cabin to think. Too much had happened today; the two characters in the shadows, the messenger, and the beggar's story. There wasn't a connection was there? Tempest ran a hand through her hair out of habit, before grabbing a worn book and sitting on an old oak chair. This too made her question the beggar's story. People able to read and speak correctly were very rare. Only the nobles could have access to such knowledge, yet ever since Tempest was a child she had been able to do both.

*****

A few hours later, Tempest was brought of her book by a knock on the door.

"Enter." She called in a chilling voice. She hated it when people interrupted her reading.

"The messenger is here Captain."

"Thank you Jones, I will be out in a minute." Tempest set the book down and adjusted her bandanna before heading outside.

Once outside, she regarded the lanky messenger coolly. "Yes?" she asked.

"You're the Captain?" he asked in disbelief.

"You were expecting Captain Hook?" she asked raising an eyebrow.

"No. I just…"

"Didn't expect a woman," she said cutting him off, "I know."

"Not that there's anything wrong with women," he stated quickly, "I just think they should be at home taking care of kids and stuff."

"Listen I would love to stand around and discuss how equal women are but I would like to hear the message you are suppose to deliver."

The messenger looked confused for a moment before he mouthed oh and handed her a piece of rolled up parchment. "Sorry I got off track," He said sheepishly.

"It's fine," She said absently, silently reading the parchment.

"What's it say Captain?"

"It's a job offer." She said in disbelief.

"For what?"

"To stay on a ship and help another captain raid a noble ship docked at Draconian Isle."

"In the Carribeans?"

"Yeah."

"What are ya gonna do Captain?"

Tempest thought back to the old beggar woman. "I think I'm going to take it."

"Are you sure Captain?" Jones asked with a faint look of worry. This would be the first time Tempest would be without him.

"Yeah. I'll do it." Tempest went to her cabin and wrote a response to the letter. She then gave it to the messenger and paid him a copper for his trouble.

"Be careful Tempest." Jones said solemnly after the messenger left.

Tempest looked up from the letter. "I will Jones. I promise. I just…I really need to do this."

Jones nodded his head at the pleading look in her eyes. "Alright. You'll be meeting them in the tavern then?"

"Please watch over the ship for me." Jones nodded his head. "You can count on me Captain."

Tempest smiled. "I know I can Jones."

With a bow of her head, Tempest strode off the ship, a slight air of confidence and anxiousness in each step.

*****

Tempest hesitated before entering the Thieves Den. Quickly; she scanned the area and noticed the two men from earlier seated at her table. She bit her lip nervously and walked over.

"Serge?" she asked keeping the timid note out of her voice.

The portly man glared at her. "I don't require any ale now wench." He said dismissing her with a wave of his hand.

Tempest looked stunned. He just assumed she was a serving wench. "Listen tubby. I am not a serving wench. Did you or did you not want to see the captain of the Sea Queen?" she asked heatedly.

Serge looked stunned. "You're the captain of the Sea Queen?" he asked with skepticism.

Tempest rubbed her temples. This was going to be a very long day. "Yes I am the captain."

The cloaked man indicated for her to take a seat while Serge sat stunned into silence.

"Now why have you chosen me to help?" asked Tempest, her patience running thin.

"You're one of the best captains out there. We need your strategic mind in order to pull this raid off." The cloaked man said in a low voice.

"How much am I getting paid?" Tempest asked.

"Two hundred gold bullion." Serge answered, finally overcoming his shock.

"That's a hefty sum, even for a raid like this. My question is why and what's with Dracula over here?" she asked motioning to the man in the black cloak.

"His identity is not to be revealed at this present time. Now do you agree to do this?"

Tempest clasped her hands together and thought. "I agree." She said after a few minutes of contemplation.

Serge nodded abruptly. "Good. Now then, there are certain rules you have to abide by. This Serge will not be made a fool of."

Tempest's head jerked up at his arrogant tone. She turned to the cloaked man and mouthed "This Serge?" in disbelief.

Serge continued oblivious to the incredulity of his employees. "There will be no fighting, no mutiny, and things are to be done my way. Any questions?"

"Yeah. Have you ever done this before?" Tempest asked calmly. "

No." answered Serge with confusion.

"Ok. Then listen up Serge. We are the captains, or I am assuming we are anyway." she said at the cloaked man, at his nod of confirmation she continued. "Right, we are the captains and what WE say goes. Unless of course you know how to navigate using the stars or you know the oceans like the back of your hand. Since you do not we are to be in charge. Got it?"

Serge nodded, swallowing hard. He had never been yelled at by a woman before and it was kind of frightening.

"Now that I have agreed, can the vampire be unmasked?"

The cloaked man took off his cloak.

"You!" she hissed.

In place of the cloaked figure stood a man about five eight. He was wearing a pure white shirt and black breeches with a sword strapped around his waist. His tan boots were ankle high and his black gloves covered the palms of his hands only. His tan skin contrasted with his blonde hair and light green eyes. His name was Captain Alexander Frow and he was Tempest's worst enemy.

"Hello love, how you been?"

Tempest wrinkled her nose in disgust and turned away. "My room number is five when you're ready to leave knock on my door thrice," she said with a deathly clam.

Serge nodded bemused.

"And you," she spat rounding on him, "You stay far, far away from me. I have never liked you and just because we are working together, that doesn't mean that I have to start now."

Alex rolled his eyes, but nodded none the less.

With one last distasteful look at the two of them, Tempest marched up the rotting, narrow staircase to her room.

*********

Running. She was running. Why? What was she running from? She looked behind her. Men with swords were chasing her. Why? Abruptly, she fell. That's when Tempest noticed it. She was a child again?

"How..." she started.

"Artemisia! Hurry Artemisia. They're going to catch us!"

Tempest looked up at where the voice was coming from. A girl about twelve was tugging on her hand. Tempest was startled to find that the girl also had black hair and mismatched eyes.

"Artemisia!" the girl said desperately.

Tempest started when she realized that this Artemisia was her.

"Come on! We have to meet Mama and Papa at the docks!"

'Mama and Papa?' thought Tempest.

'My Mama and Papa?' Tempest continued to contemplate this new discovery while the planks of the wet wood she had slipped on thudded with the sound of the approaching footsteps of her pursuers became louder.

"Come on Artemisia!" the girl tugged insistently. Tempest tried to get up but her ankle twisted, making her collapse.

"Go without me Christabella. I'll hide." Tempest heard coming out of her own mouth.

"But…"

"Go Bella!" Tempest shouted in a voice very intimidating for an eight year old.

"Alright…be careful."

"I will." Tempest said solemnly. After taking one last look, Bella fled, leaving Tempest there to helplessly listen to the sounds of footsteps drawing ever nearer.

********

Tempest coughed from the sudden rush of air she had taken in a frightened gasp. There was an impatient pounding at her door and she could here Serge shouting for her to awaken.

"I'm up old man," She snapped and was satisfied to hear his faint grumbling about being called old. She walked over to the water pitcher and splashed her face before groaning in irritation. She had forgotten clothes in her haste to sate her curiosity. She would have to go without.

Hesitantly, she opened the door. Serge immediately tossed a good sized sack in her face.

"Your first mate brought these clothes for you and asked that this Serge forgive you for being a scatter brain."

"Thanks." She said absently, making a mental note to thank Jones when she got back.

"Whatever. Alex is meeting us at his ship."

"Lead the way." Tempest said with a mocking bow.

"At least you know your place." Serge said before walking away towards the dock.

"Yes," She murmured. "Always two steps mentally in front of you."

*******

Alex bowed to them as they approached the ship. "Greetings." He said pleasantly to Serge. Alex then proceeded to take Tempest's hand and kiss the knuckle.

"And how are you this fine morning my little Buttercup."

Tempest wrinkled her nose and wiped her hands on her pants repeatedly "I've been better." Tempest eyed him. "You haven't dipped into any opium have you?"

"No. Why do you ask?" he said his brows furrowing.

"You're acting out of character."

"No I'm not this is how I normally act, except to enemies of course." He said cheerfully, winking at her.

"This is gonna be fun," She said, sighing.

"By the way, are you religious in any way?" Alex asked.

"No. Why do you ask?"

"Our esteemed leader has taken upon himself to hire a monk."

Tempest groaned. It was not that Tempest hated religion, she just didn't approve of all the different types. There were fifty-two known religions through out the world. Since the discovery of all these religions, approximately eighty-two wars have been fought. Seventy-three of them were over religion in some way, shape, or form. After the new religion took hold of a country, it did not take long for the country to become a tyranny. 'Why is it that there is enough religion to incite war but never enough to install tolerance?' Tempest thought with a shake of her head. "Where is the monk?" she asked finally.

Alex shrugged. "Talking to our most appreciated leader somewhere."

"I'll just have to be sure to stay away from him then."

"Speak of the devil." Alex murmured looking over her shoulder.

Tempest whorled around to face a man dressed in black robes. The morning sun reflected off his silver hair while his stern face gave no emotion and his dull grey eyes looked her up and down shrewdly.

"Get off this boat witch!" he hissed. Tempest placed a hand on her hip and cocked her head to the side. "A witch? I? I think not."

"Do not second guess me witch! The Lord of Light has told me what you are." The monk spat.

Serge looked at her suspiciously.

'Ah, he is an Aquarian then.' She thought. "Aren't you a little old to be a monk?" Tempest asked innocently.

He glared at her. "You do not deny the charge of being a witch? Then we must burn you."

Tempest held back a frustrated growl. "I am not a witch."

"Yes you are the monk has said the Lord of Light has told him so." Stated Serge.

"Maybe he was mistaken." She said with a shrug.

"Holy men do not lie." Serge spat back.

"Men holy or not, lie."

"But he is a HOLY man."

"And yet a man never the less, there are no exceptions."

With that, Tempest walked away, never once looking back.

******

Ever since then, Tempest and the monk stayed as far away from each other as possible, which incidentally, was hard since they had cast off a week ago. Serge had assured them after Alex's aggravating whining that they were in fact, getting closer and would be there within one day. "Thank the gods for that small miracle." She murmured.

Alex who had just happened to hear, do to the fact he was sitting on the rail swinging his feet, grinned evilly. "Hey Monk," he said in a sing-song voice, "I think Tempest is getting religious."

Tempest rolled her eyes and pushed Alex backwards. He promptly fell but was able to grab the rail at the last minute.

"That wasn't very nice!" he said pouting.

"Did I ever say I was a nice person?" she asked.

"It's suppose to be a given." He said dryly.

Tempest shrugged and walked to her cabin for some sleep.

*******

Shouts of "Land Ho" woke Tempest from her nap. Hurriedly, she rushed around the room dressing in her customary black pants and white shirt. Growling in annoyance, she rushed out the door, meeting Alex at the helm. "Were we not suppose to be raiding a ship?"

"Plans change or so he said anyway." said Alex with a shrug.

Tempest growled in annoyance and stalked to find Serge.

Once found, the man cowered in fear at the sign of her wrath.

"Where are we going now?"

"Don't worry about it. This Serge has just been informed that the ship was not to sail today after all, so this Serge figured we could go directly for the source."

"Who are we raiding Serge?" she said impatiently.

"Do not worry about it." he repeated.

"Well this Tempest is not raiding anyone," she mocked. "Until I get some answers."

"It's just the O'Bryan family."

Tempest's eyes widened at the name. "Are you sure?"

"Of course."
"And we are arriving soon?"

"Within the hour."

Tempest nodded. "Alright."

Tempest walked to the other side of the ship and looked out into the sea while leaning on the rail.

The O'Bryan family, her family.

"What should I do?" she murmured to herself.

*******

The ship soon docked at Karilsa on Draconian Island, the town of the O'Bryans.

Serge led them to an inn called Crows Nest, a popular place for merchants and pirates. They grabbed a seat in the shadows and talked about how to approach the situation.

"Let me scout out the house first." Tempest said suddenly.

"Are you sure?" asked Alex.

Tempest nodded. "Of course I am sure."

"Alright then," Alex said nodding, "I am going with you."

"No," she said quickly, "I will go alone."

"That would be suicide, let me go with you."

"What you think I can't handle it?"

"I didn't say that…"

"Then what are you saying?"

"I just…"

"Forget you." she snapped before leaving the inn.

Once outside, she grinned triumphantly. That will give her some time. Let them think she's sulking somewhere.

*******

A few minutes later, Tempest was quietly entering the immaculate mansion, belonging to the O'Bryans.

Upon entering, Tempest stopped in her tracks. The place was huge and expensive looking with all the glass and the room and the floors of marble but that wasn't what was it. It felt so familiar. Like she had been here before. Tempest started to head towards the stairs but was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

"So you went anyway huh Temp?"

"Shut up. People are still sleeping."

"Why are you really here?" he whispered.

"I need answers and I can only get them here." Tempest walked up the stairs and followed the corridor to the end.

"The O'Bryans must be rich." Alex said admiring the polished oak doors and gold handles.

"I think it's this one." Tempest muttered to herself before opening the door and walking in.

The walls of the room were light pink, matching the pink bedspread and the small white teddy bear.

Tempest walked to the bed and picked up the bear.

"Fluffles." she said smiling, hugging the bear to her chest.

"Fluffles?" asked Alex.

"He was my bear. I used to carry him around everywhere with me inside the house. I was never allowed to take him outside."

"You…"

"I think I lived here. I remember this place so well. Maybe the beggar was right."

"Beggar? What's going on?"

"I am really…"

"Who are you two?"

The two of them turned around to face the figure of a tall gentleman with a pistol in his hand.

"Why are you in my house?" the man hissed cocking the hammer on the gun.

Tempest's eyes widened and her breathing rate increased.

"Papa!" she whispered.

"What's going on Papa?" A figure of a young women joined the first.

"Christabella?" Tempest whispered.

"Go get a lamp Christabella so we can see the trespassers."

"Yes Papa."

Christabella moved away and then came back a minute later with a lamp in her hand. Tempest's breath caught in her throat when the light reflected Christabella's eyes. They were an exact duplicate of her own.

The man lifted the lamp to see the intruders faces only to almost dropped it. "Artemisia?"

Tempest swallowed nervously. "Hi Papa." she squeaked.

"Oh God." The man ran over and hugged her until she couldn't breathe. "Where have you been?" he asked drawling back.

"It's a long story daddy."

*****

All's well that ends well or so they say. Tempest who in actuality was Artemisia, the daughter lost during a violent raid, was safe and sound. Her memory was starting to recover and she never quite felt as lost anymore. She had given the ship to Jones, and asked that Alex and Jones become allies. Serge wasn't very happy when he discovered that his plans had crumbled, and he was reduced to becoming a beggar do to all the money he had lost while funding this expedition. The monk had ended up dying shortly after by being violently burnt on the stake after murdering an innocent who he had claimed to be a witch.

Shortly after, Alex had begun courting her and they were married the following winter.

And so ends the story of Tempest's Struggle.

^_^ Night of the Raven