Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Blue Yonder ❯ Ye Merry Old Pub ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I owned them, I wouldn't be working for a living...

Wild Blue Yonder

~~*~*~~

Chapter 42 - Ye Merry Old Pub

~~*~*~~

Legolas groaned slightly as he rubbed his aching back. `Who would believe that one woman could put such a hurt on his body,' he thought wryly. The afternoon had been spent with Rain literally dragging him from one shop to another. Most of the numerous packages they had purchased had been sent back to the inn, however Rain had insisted that he carry the few that she wanted to be sure got there today.

It wasn't that she had been frivolous in her shopping, but she had definitely been thorough in her quest to obtain their supplies. She had even thought of a few items that he had never imagined to bring on a trip, and his purse was considerably lighter by the time they returned to the inn.

He was currently sitting with Gandalf and Elrohir in the bar, in the same location that they had left them earlier that day. Rain had disappeared into their room, with the excuse of changing out of her BDUs and into something a little more 'local' as she had put it. Her appearance, as well as Nanooks', had drawn considerable attention throughout the day. While he had noticed that she appeared outwardly aloof to the speculation and outright rude stares, he knew that she had been very aware of every word that had been whispered around her.

"When is Rain coming down, I'm hungry," growled Elrohir, looking glumly over at Legolas.

"When she is ready she will be here, so just be patient." Legolas replied, he himself wondering the exact same thing as Elrohir.

"Get used to it, my boy. When women set their minds to fashion, they can take forever to get ready." Gandalf said, a twinkle in his eye as he sat looking at the restless elves before him. He pulled the pipe from between his lips, a hazy cloud of blue smoke moving up to wreath his white hair, before he replied, "I have never known a woman who was any other way."

"Oh and would that include me?" came a sarcastic voice from behind the trio. As one they turned and looked up at the irritated woman standing behind them her long black hair loose from its normal braid. It was gathered up to fall in a trail down her back with a large carved comb. The soft tan doeskin trousers hugged her legs almost indecently tapering into her calf-high elvin boots, while a billowy white shirt was tucked into the waistband. A wide, dark black leather belt completed the outfit, accenting her small waist and drawing their attention to her.

"Oh my, wherever did you come up with that outfit?" asked a surprised Elrohir, who was out of his seat in a flash and moving to slide behind Rain, blocking the view of her from the other gawking patrons.

"What you don't like it?" she said casually as she sauntered away from him and slid down next to Legolas on the bench. She looked up at him, her eyes twinkling merrily at his stunned expression. 'This is just so much fun,' she thought gleefully. She was glad to see that she had taken the trio by surprise with her attire. While elvin clothing had looked good on her, tight leather pants where always good for a chuckle.

"So," she drawled, breaking their stunned stares, "what's for dinner?"

"Uhmm, well. . .I," stuttered Elrohir.

Gandalf took pity on him and turned to Rain before answering her question, "I ordered the house specialty and some fine wine that they have here. In fact, here it is now."

Rain turned to find the young woman, who had mended her BDU shirt this morning, standing behind them with large tray covered with dishes and a large tureen. She smiled softly as she stepped forward and slid the tray down along the end of the table, quickly dispensing the bowls and utensils.

"I wanted to thank you for the wonderful job you did repairing my blouse this morning." Rain said, looking up at the young lady. A soft blush spread over her cheeks at the compliment, as she quickly curtsied to them and turned to hurry away.

"That was nice of you, I am sure that she doesn't receive many compliments for her work," whispered Legolas, as he leaned towards her to place her bowl in front of her. She turned and looked up at him inquiringly, "And why shouldn't I have thanked her, she did a lovely job at repairing my blouse. Better than I could have done."

"It isn't customary to thank people for doing what they are supposed to do. Isn't that how it is in your home?" Elrohir asked, looking curiously at the pair as the looked up toward him. Of course he had heard their conversation, as they were only sitting across from him.

"No, it isn't. People work better when they are appreciated for the job that they do, and a simple thank you can go a long ways," she replied, frowning slightly as she picked up her spoon and began eating. Reaching forward she picked up her mug and sipped at the wine contained within. She was surprised by the excellent quality of the vintage, smooth yet with a sharp bit that accented the flavor. She quickly finished the contents of her mug and was reaching for a refill when Elrohir's voice cut through her reverie.

"I would be careful Rain, that is Elvin wine. It carries quick a kick and we wouldn't want you to regret it in the morning."

"Oh," she said, looking up over the rim of her mug at Elrohir and taking another sip, "you think so? Wasn't it you that I found hanging half out of his bed in Lothlorien the day before we left due to the fact that you imbibed too much?"

"Ah, but I drank quite a lot that night. I wouldn't think that you would be able to handle the amount that was consumed that night." Elrohir chuckled at the memory.

Rain's eyes flashed in irritation at his words. `Again with the insinuations that since she was a woman that she couldn't keep up with the men,' she thought. A wicked thought popped into her head and the grin that began to form across her face matched those thoughts exactly.

Leaning forward across the table towards Elrohir, her voice dripping with sarcasm as she replied, "So would you like to make a little wager, my dear cousin?"

"A wager, for what?" Elrohir gulped, as he took in Rain's expression. `It was almost, well…scary,' he thought.

"You three against me in a drinking contest. Winner gets to be waited on hand and foot for one full day." Rain said, her eyes flashing at the notion of the three having to do her every bidding.

"Count me out, my dear. I am much too old for such games. I will however, officiate and declare the winner at the end of the contest." Gandalf said, a small quirk causing his lips to twitch in amusement.

"Well," Rain said, looking back and forth between the two elves, "are you game? Or are you both too scared to lose to a woman."

"I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" said a gruff voice from behind the group. Rain glared once more at Elrohir, before turning to look up at the tall dark-haired man standing behind them.

"Mithiand," called Gandalf heartily, "what brings you out tonight?" He looked up at the man standing next to the table. The Captain of the Laketown guard was dressed casually in dark pants and a rough cotton shirt.

"I came to visit with you, my old friend," he replied, a bright grin spreading over his handsome face, "and it looks like I came at an opportune moment." He held up his right hand to show the two dark glass bottles he was carrying.

"That wouldn't be Elenstran, would it?" Gandalf said, a mischievous twinkle lighting his eyes.

"Yes indeed it is. I was saving it for a special occasion and I would have to say that this is one." Mithiand said as he placed the bottles in the center of the table and raised a hand to catch the bartender's attention. Circling one finger in the air, he gestured to the table. The bartender nodded in acknowledgment before he disappeared behind the counter.

Mithiand turned back to the table and straddled the bench to the right of Rain, looking directly at her with an appraising eye. Legolas, seeing the look, immediately hackled at the interest he caught in the other man's face and a low growl escaped him before he could control himself. Mithiand looked up from his scrutiny, one eyebrow quirked up in amusement, before he began to speak again.

"I overheard your challenge Lady Rain and would like to be of assistance to you," he said, "Since there are only three of you, the contest would be clearly against you. I propose we team up together, you and I, against the elves."

"She will do no such thing!" shouted Legolas and Elrohir angrily shooting up from their seats, hands braced on the table, knuckles white with their grip on the edge of the table.

"Oh and who died and made you God?" came a cold, sarcastic voice that sent chills shooting down the spines of the four men. As one they turned to look at the lone woman seated within their group.

Her green eyes flashed with fury, her lips drawn tight as she stood. Waves of rage seemed to pour from her very being as she glared hotly around the men. The four cringed back, particularly Legolas as she turned her wrath upon him.

"Where upon my person does it say `Property of Legolas'?" she hissed. "What I may or may not decide to do is my own business! Now are you up to this challenge or are you chicken?"

~*~

A/N: Whoo-hoo, time to party hearty....Who's gonna win the contest and end up being the `slave for a day'? Stay tuned, the next chapter is coming soon.

Thanks for reading ~ DBZ Vegeta