Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ 7 Days In... ❯ Wednesday: Mission START! ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Wednesday: Mission START!
 
“Che. Stupid Spike,” muttered Yuffie, strapping her bags to Rydia's back. “Can't even take a bloody joke.” The unique - due to her dark green crest - golden chocobo warked in agreement as her rider slipped her a Curiel green before mounting. “I mean, did he honestly think that Vinnie'd ask something as inane and personal as that? What an idiot. And, just between you and me, I did catch Spike picking his nose, once.”
 
Rydia warked merrily as she trotted off in the direction that Yuffie pointed her.
 
“Darn right. He really should get over being so picky. I mean, Tifa is the perfect match for him. They run the damn bar together, for crying out loud! You'd think the least he could do is the `honorable' thing and let her make an honest man out of him! Or, wait… you don't think…” Rydia quirked her head as Yuffie paused. “…You don't think they're both having an affair with Reno, do you? I saw the way that red-combed Turkey has been watching them. And he's been at the bar every time I've gone in, too…. Hot damn! That would put Spike's panties in a twist! Not to mention Tifa…. Lucky wench….”
 
Both the ninja and her mount let out a snort.
 
“Stupid Cloud,” murmured Yuffie, mood changing from flippant griping to seriousness as swiftly as mountain weather. “He's just so full of hot air and steam. He didn't have to get so angry with Vinnie - and then me - over such a small joke. And he didn't even ask me if I wanted this mission. I realize this is keeping me from Godo for a bit longer, but… well…” She sighed. “I can't stop thinking about him. There's just something about him, you know? I've even had some really - er - some dreams about him, too. Aah, mou! I'm turning into a love-struck teenager! I though I had well passed that phase! Well, thank Shiva, it hasn't gotten to the point where I'm scrawling both our names all over my notebooks or anything, but still. I don't think this was one of Cloud's smartest moves.” Suddenly, Yuffie sniggered. “Hot air and steam… what a kick in the pants…” Rydia rolled her eyes. “Oh, whadda you know? You're a stupid bird!”
 
* * *
 
THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!
 
“This is the Nibelheim Ferrets' Right's Brigade! Open up immediately or we shall be forced to picket for the civil rights of fluffy animals at all entrances to your estate!”
 
Vincent opened the door, thankful of the high neckline of his cloak - coupled with his height - which prevented Yuffie from seeing his smirk. He wasn't quite ready to shock her completely.
 
“Yuffie. It is good to see you again. I did not anticipate that you would arrive so soon,” Lie “otherwise, I would have had the other rooms cleared, as well.” Another lie.
 
::Lying so soon? You'll set up a pattern of mistrust.::
 
“Vinnie! It's great to see a friendly face! Spike was ready to bash my head in when I left. He didn't even tell me the mission objective. He just growled, `Go to Nibelheim and meet Vincent.' You know, Godo yelling `Get thee to a nunnery!' would have been less intimidating.”
 
::Loquacious as ever, I see.::
 
“Follow me, and have your weapon ready,” stated Vincent, turning and heading straight for the kitchen. “As it stands, the kitchen is the only room clear of monsters. There are two rooms directly off of it via a narrow hallway, and I wish to have those cleared before the day is out. Were you honestly not informed about your mission?”
 
Yuffie shook her head. “Spike was trying to punish me for my joke. Cripes, I was only trying to make him remember he's human. I didn't mean anything malicious by it.”
 
“Understandable. As I told Cloud, there have been rumors that this mansion is haunted. It is more efficient to both eradicate monsters and exorcise whatever this being might be at the same time, and, therefore, it is a better idea to work with someone else for this event.” Casually, Vincent took aim and shot a monster, killing it with one blow. Yuffie raided the body, grabbing an Ether and two Hi-Potions from the unmoving remains that were already beginning to fade away. She counted the gil as he continued. “I will have to criticize Cloud for failing to properly inform his people, when next I speak with him. This is inexcusable.”
 
::Pompous prick.::
 
Arrogant asshole.
 
::Rubber, glue.::
 
“Haunted? Rumors? Haven't you been living here since Sephiroth was finally enlightened?” Vincent remained silent. “Vinnie?” No response. “Vincent Valentine. You haven't.” His crimson eyes met hers briefly before darting away. “You have. You've been at that damn waterfall, haven't you?” By now, Vincent was employing his adept-level skill of avoidance. “No wonder you haven't made the meetings! There's no reception in that bloody cave!” Yuffie launched her Conformer with frightening accuracy at an enemy she wasn't really paying attention to, mugging a few Hi-Potions in the process. She wasn't even really paying attention to Vincent, at this point. “How brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that?
 
“So, when'd ya get here?”
 
Vincent blinked at the abrupt change of subject. “Early this morning.”
 
::Offer her more information, before she gets huffy.::
 
Quiet, you.
 
The two entered the kitchen, one silently, the other as boisterous as possible. After making a rather loud production of setting her things on the table and one of the chairs, Yuffie looked at him expectantly. “And you found out about the rumors all by your lonesome in the kitchen.”
 
“No, as I was purchasing supplies at the grocer, I overheard the townspeople gossiping about the mansion. I then came inside, saw the state of the mansion for myself, and called you.”
 
“Why not Cloud?”
 
“He has no experience in the spiritual, save for a trip through the Lifestream. You, as a Wutainese, do.”
 
“Why not Red?”
 
“He is to philosophical to be of use.”
 
“I'd say Red is a very spiritual creature.”
 
“While philosophy and spirituality may have their parallels, they are, in fact, two separate entities.”
 
Yuffie stared at him silently for a long moment. “Hm,” she finally replied, seemingly unconvinced. Then, in half a blink, her usual cheerfulness returned. “So, Vinnie, how's about you and me clear out some bedrooms?”
 
* * *
 
They had already cleared the first room, and were working on the second. It had taken about two hours to find and eliminate the source of the monsters in the room, but once they had done that, it was only a matter of minutes before they cleared it. After a brief lunch of sandwiches and soup á-la Yuffie, they moved on to the second room. They were experiencing some difficulties, though, as it had already been three and a half hours without much of a let-up.
 
Thoughts of their earlier conversation were plaguing his mind. He had realized that Yuffie would most likely have changed in the years since they separated, but he hadn't realized how much she would have matured. Not only had her fighting style improved and been refined, she also had grown mentally to the point where she could read and analyze the psychology behind all of her teammates, down to and including their somewhat staunch leader. They had discussed much in the first room - rather, she told him about the changes that had taken place in AVALANCHE after the members went their separate ways, how Tifa had built a bar and ran it with the help of Cloud and allegedly Reno, and how Cloud used the back rooms as the headquarters of the Kalm Extension of AVALANCHE.
 
"Actually,” Yuffie confessed, “I can barely keep a straight face whenever I have to call it that. Honestly, `the Kalm Extension of AVALANCHE?' Spike is such a stiff. He doesn't get why it's so funny. I've even tried explaining it, but his skull is a bit too thick for that, and he goes completely bat-shit nuts on all of us. But he can't act all high and mighty with all of us, you know? Just because we've decided to work for him, doesn't mean that we owe him our undivided allegiance. In a few years, Vincent, I have to go back to Wutai, and take my place as Empress. That is my fate. If I can, I will still help with AVALANCHE, but I don't know when that will be an option. He can't go on thinking that he's immortal; one day, it'll reach around and bite him in the butt, and Tifa will have all our heads for letting it happen. So, to prevent that, we have to remind him that he's human. I have a lot of respect for Spike, but I have even more respect for Tifa, because she showed us all her strength before, during, and after Cloud fell in the Lifestream. We have to keep him alive, if only for her benefit. Besides," she had added with a smile, "he's easy to tease, and good to joke with when he loosens up. Turns out Spikey-boy has quite the adult humor."
 
There, another bit of information that had surprised him. He had known that Yuffie had some position in Wutai, but didn't realize the extent of her power. She was, in fact, Godo's only remaining offspring, and the last in line to the throne. Her elder brother had died in a battle with the Turks some years before - which made it an amazing fact that the Turks held their vacations in the pub in Wutai. This threw Yuffie directly in the path of Destined Empress. Her wanderings across the globe were actually some convoluted last-ditch training efforts, or so she had explained.
 
And eventually, he'd have to come to terms with the fact that Cloud actually knew how to joke.
 
Now, Vincent fought in silence, methodically loading and firing the Outsider without so much as moving from his position. In contrast, Yuffie hopped from one end of the room to the other, kicking here, punching there, casting a random spell while she waited for her Conformer to return from wherever she threw it. Every now and then, she'd re-cast Regen on the two of them. She seemed to be attacking in time with whatever tune she happened to be humming. When he asked, during their late lunch, what exactly she was humming, she replied, “Oh, I haven't titled it yet. I'm thinking something along the lines of Those Who Fight Further.”
 
::She wants you.:: Chaos was taking advantage of Vincent's quiet-time to have a nice pep talk with him.
 
Oh, and how would you know?
 
::Her heartbeat quickens when she looks at you. Her pupils dilate. She keeps watching you.::
 
She's been fighting since we got here, and had just gotten off of a chocobo when she pounded on our door.
 
::Speaking of chocobos, she gave you your gold.::
 
She gave me Cain to spite Cloud. Hesh up.
 
::Why are you so convinced that she can't like you? It is inevitable. The two of you are drawn to each other, just as polar opposites attract. It's perfectly natural. Are you worried that her being attracted to you is going to turn her into a monster? She's not so weak. Anything that we want must not be.:: Vincent remained silent. ::Tick-tock, host. Tick-tock.::
 
…You just want her because she can create chaos to rival your own.
 
::And what an added bonus that you want her as well.::
 
Vincent shot, and missed, and was attacked by a Mirage.
 
“Vinnie!” cried Yuffie, before releasing an All Creation powerful enough to eradicate all the monsters from the room. “You okay?” she asked worriedly, rushing up to him and pulling him down by the wrist of his golden claw to inspect the wound on his opposite shoulder.
 
The tall man coughed sheepishly. “I'm fine. We should set up the wards. This room is officially clear. There is no sense in allowing the monsters to re-inhabit it.”
 
Yuffie blushed. “Um, yeah. I'll go to.”
 
::She wants you,:: murmured Chaos as they watched her scamper off, paying special attention to the low cut of her shorts.
 
Blushing, Vincent shut his eyes, but refused to reply to the demon.
 
::Tick-tock.::
 
* * *
 
Yuffie slammed her palms on the opposite side of the countertop from where Vincent stood chopping vegetables. “Well, Vinnie, seeing as you're officially injured - ” He raised an eyebrow, casting a skeptical glance at his already Cured shoulder “ - I guess it falls upon your capable - if wounded - shoulders to cook and serve us dinner.” She leaned across the counter towards him to emphasize her point. “Especially since I was the one who finished off the monsters in that last room. Obviously, you aren't fit to fight, or lift anything heavier than that Dutch oven, which is absolutely essential for that delightful smelling dish that I picked out for dinner. Therefore, in order for me to go out and be the breadwinner again tomorrow, you'll need to prepare the bread today, so to speak.”
 
Wordlessly, Vincent continued chopping celery for the curry.
 
“So, it occurred to me, as I was figuring out our chore list - ” Chore list? “ - since this is a mansion, it should have a service entrance. I mean, you don't really expect the servants of a well-to-do household to enter through the front door, and accept deliveries and such, do you? Or course you don't. That's why you need to show me where it is. So I can go feed Rydia and Cain without being attacked by some dumb monster.”
 
“…Chore list?”
 
“Rrargh!” groaned Yuffie, allowing her knees to give way and sinking down behind the counter until only her hands and her face from the eyes up were visible to the gunman. “Vinnie, hun, I need you to work with me, here. Service entrance. I need to feed the chocobos. I'll fill you in, accompanied by hand-outs, graphs, and pie-charts, when I get back.” Vincent looked past her. “Vinnie! Focus! Stop looking at the door leading outside! Right now, I need to… feed…” Yuffie blinked and stood. “…the door. Hah! I found it!” Cheerily, she turned and headed toward the service entrance. “You know, Vinnie, if you wanted me to be ambushed by the monsters, you should have just said so. I mean, I knew that that door was there to begin with. I was just testing your focus,” she called over her shoulder.
 
“Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out,” came the snarky reply. Chaos! Thought Vincent, appalled.
 
The demon snickered. ::The combined emphasis of both of our thoughts must have spilled over and out of your mouth,:: he replied sagely.
 
“Wha - OW!” was the ninja's only response.
 
* * *
 
“And how does your chocobo fare?” inquired Vincent, laying out two sets of dining ware.
 
Yuffie plopped down at one of the place settings, lounging lazily as she considered her response. She finally decided on, “I… well… she… You owe me a new chocobo.”
 
Only great skill and superior reflexes prevented Vincent from dropping the wrought-iron pot of curry on the table as his gaze shot to Yuffie's. “Is she dead?” he demanded, moving Yuffie's things to the floor and chair next to him before sitting at the other setting.
 
The young ninja blinked at him in shock. “What - no!” she snapped, beginning to laugh. “Your stables are very nice, and she wants for nothing. In fact, they're so nice, I doubt she wants to leave. Well, the fact that you have nice stables coupled with the fact that she's also rather… attached… to Cain.” She sighed and chuckled. “It's rather cute, really. Once I get over the fact that my chocobo isn't going anywhere without yours. At this rate, I might as well just stay here for the rest of my life, unless you provide me with another chocobo. Or give me Cain - which I doubt will happen.”
 
::That opens up so many possibilities.::
 
For once, I agree with you.
 
The two, drawn by the appetizing scent of chicken curry and jasmine rice, began serving themselves dinner. “Vinnie, do you think chemistry is really necessary between two people?” Yuffie asked as she poured each of them a cup of jasmine tea.
 
::Wow.:: Vincent felt the demon blink in shock as he tried not to choke on his bite of curry.
 
Wow. Where did that come from?
 
::Who cares? Opening! Opening!::
 
“To a point, chemistry plays a key part. Rather, at a point, chemistry takes over,” Vincent replied.
 
“Oh,” was Yuffie's somewhat disappointed response. Frowning mildly, she moved some of her food around on her plate before taking a bite.
 
“Some… sometimes, chemistry doesn't… happen until all boundaries have been removed.” Is this as hard on you as it is on me?
 
::Aa.::
 
“What, like, clothes?”
 
::You know, if it weren't for the fact that I want you to use this more or less eternally binding ritual, I'd tell you to go ahead and jump her, making sure you didn't make a mess of the tabletop with the curry.::
 
Unhelpful, demon. “I-in some cases.”
 
“There are other cases? Fine. Define chemistry. Without taking my clothes off,” demanded Yuffie.
 
Vincent wasn't sure if it would be more effective to simply keel over and die or turn her over the kitchen counter. However, upon deciding that both options were rather foolish and wouldn't get him where he needed to be, he decided that the best alternative would be to try to change the direction of the conversation. Unfortunately, his social skills were a bit rusty. Therefore, deliberate ignorance might work in his favor. “Well, I'm sure if you went to a doctor he could detect chemical changes….”
 
“Che. I wouldn't trust doctors. They… poke you with pointy things.”
 
::So do men. What's your point?::
 
“People should visit doctors for physical checkups,” argued Vincent, pointing his fork at her face.
 
“What, to check as to whether or not they're alive?” scoffed Yuffie. “I haven't been in years, and I'm perfectly fine.”
 
Mockingly, Vincent narrowed crimson eyes at the ninja, looking her up and down. “I don't know about that. For all I know, you might be dying, or, worse, an undead monster in my own house.”
 
“Oh, please, you don't really believe that.” Yuffie rolled her eyes.
 
The gunman tilted his head at her. “I don't know. You can never be too sure, these days. After all, this mansion is haunted.”
 
Huffily, Yuffie thrust her wrist at him. “Fine, goddammit. Check my fuckin' pulse if you're so inclined.”
 
::…You planned that. Slick, host. Very slick.::
 
Obviously. I'm not completely socially inept, the gunner thought as he took her small wrist in his long-fingered hand. He lightly caressed her smooth skin before applying light pressure to feign checking her pulse while marking her with some unnoticeable - to her - magic, and claiming her as his to anyone who was looking. “Hm… let's see…” Dramatically widening his eyes, Vincent looked at her with something akin to smugness. “No… nope. Looks like this one's a goner.” He shrugged, grabbed her nearly empty plate, and scraped its contents onto his own already empty one. “More food for me.” When he finally looked back at her, Yuffie was staring at him speculatively. “Yes?”
 
“Did… something happen?” she asked cautiously. “I mean, you weren't always so open with us. You seem so different from the ex-Turk who helped AVALANCHE defeat Sephiroth.”
 
Vincent was silent for a long moment as he contemplated his answer. He couldn't tell her the truth about Chaos - yet. He couldn't voice his intentions yet, either. How could he explain the transformation from the brooding, guilt-ridden, self-tormented man into the person he was becoming - the person reminiscent of the Vincent before Lucrecia?
 
Both Chaos and Yuffie were curiously awaiting his answer, the former with amusement, the other in earnest. “How long has it been? Four years?” Yuffie nodded. “In the time it has taken you to mature from a whining, superficial, smart-assed brat into an intellectually scathing and deceptively immature young woman - because you are, indeed, quite mature - I have realized not only that living can be its own form of atonement, but the person who I once was knew more about life and living than the person who I, after meeting Lucrecia, had become. I think that, in a way, both of us have matured enough to surprise the people we know.”
 
Silence descended. It was not the kind of silence stifled by awkwardness. It was not the type of contented silence that fills a room occupied by two people who need no words to communicate. It wasn't even a brooding silence, where each mind was on its own thoughts. It was simply a silence waiting patiently to be broken by the sought-after response of a young, complex woman with stormy gray eyes and lips meant to be always smiling.
 
Yuffie's smile faltered slightly as she rested her fork against the side of her plate. She exhaled in a soft, mildly derisive chuckle. “Would that the rest of AVALANCHE thinks the way you do,” she stated quietly.
 
Vincent paused before answering to take a sip of his own jasmine tea. “They haven't been away from you long enough to notice. If you stare at a flower, waiting for it to bloom, you sometimes miss the transformation until someone else informs you of it. However, if you leave the flower overnight, you will notice the blossom in its entirety in the morning.”
 
“Hm,” was the distant response. Yuffie stood slowly, plate and fork in one hand, the other bringing her tea to her mouth. She brought her dishes to the sink, where she washed and set them to dry in silence. “I… hm…. Thank you for dinner, Vincent. It was wonderful.” For one of those few times in her life, Yuffie was at a loss for words. So, wrapping her scattered thoughts closely to her heart, she hugged herself and exited to one of the recently cleared rooms.
 
~*~
 
Thanks for your patronage! Read and Review!