Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut's Legacy ❯ The Curtain Rises ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 1

The Curtain Rises:

The Dragon Kingdom

Bahamut… are you here? Bahamut!" The voices drifted through the palace. "It appears he's disappeared again. We haven't got all daaaaay!" said the aged dragon as he slipped on a glove. This was no ordinary glove though. "Goddammit Ithos! This is no time for your childish pranks!"

"What do you want, you old geezer?" the dragoon growled as he flew into the throne room. "Hey, that's my glove. Where'd you find it?"

"Don't you play innocent with me, you little punk! You know very well why I'm yelling! Don't you realize that we are supposed to be looking for his majesty?" The elder dragon held up Ithos' glove. "You deliberately put this here for me to trip on!" he shouted as he slammed the glove down onto the throne room floor.

"H-h-how could you say that? I did nothing of the sort! To think you of all people would put my integrity on the line. I'm searching for the king just as hard as you are. Besides, if I were going to pull a prank on you, I'd do nothing less than pushing you off a cliff with your wings glued to your back. On the other hand, if someone did put my glove there deliberately, don't hold it against me for not stopping them," the dragoon retorted.

"What do you mean by that, boy?"

Ithos remained silent, grinning to the irritation of Nixar, who continued speaking, his voice growing louder as he approached the young dragoon, who was standing a little to the left of the throne. "Humph! Dragoon punk. You must have let your ego go to your head! You may be the young liberal head of Bahamut's court, but keep in mind that I am not only the conservative head but I AM YOUR GRANDFATHER! We may be on equal terms here, but wait till we get home! I'll show you a thing or two ab-" He was interrupted by what sounded like giggling. "What's that noise? Another of your tricks, I suppose, Ithos?"

"Well, well, you must be getting senile, old dragon." Ithos let out a taunting laugh. "More like an old lizard! I didn't hear anything, and for the last time, I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! So get off my back, Nixar, damn!"

The elder dragon was furious. "Listen! You're nothing but a dragoon punk with no respect for authority! How dare you address me by my first name? You're really driving me to my last resort, boy! Your blatant disrespect only strengthens my convictions." Nixar slightly chuckled. "This is nothing more than an admission to your earlier prank."

"Oh, brother! You try my patience prune scales. What the hell do my insults have to do with your vivid imagination? Maybe your fragile brain is just failing you," Ithos teased.

"That's it! Have at you, you foolish boy!" Nixar gathered the fire burning within him while Ithos extended his claws and spread his wings, a smirk on his face. The two were in very offensive positions, anticipating the inevitable, poised on either side of the throne seat. There was going to be a fight; not that this would be the first and not that these fights were ever unprovoked, but the two dragons were really heated on this particular day.

"I'll show you that the experience of old age outweighs the ignorance of youth!"

"That's fine by me! I guess I can go another round with you. Just uh, don't do anything that'd make my mother angry. I'd hate to tell her that her father threw his back out or something." Ithos laughed at the pompous, boastful dragon standing before him.

It was true though. Nixar stood there staring at his own image, as it had once been ages before in the days of his youth, the most glorious warrior of the dragoon armies. However, this only reinforced that what he had lost in strength and speed had been made up for in skill and strategy as the years continued to progress.

"Prepare for the beating of your life. Here I come-huh?" Nixar stopped his attack. This time, he was certain that he had heard something.

"What's the matter? Afraid to fight me-what was that?" This time, Ithos also caught wind of the sound. For a few seconds, he listened and ultimately concentrated his gaze to the throne's rear.

"Now you believe me, don't you? It sounds like someone laughing." The laughter stopped, and two gasps sprung from behind the royal seat.

"Yeah, for once I agree with you, old dragon. It sounds like two voices, though." Just then, two creatures jumped out from behind the throne, startling Ithos and knocking him to the ground. Nixar yelled as his grandson fell. They were hysterical, as they could not believe the sight of the two beings their eyes beheld.

"K-King Bahamut?" The royal dragons merely bawled in laughter. "What on earth were you and the princess doing behind the throne?" Nixar objected to this humiliation before his majesty.

"Princess Bahamia…" murmured a barely audible Ithos, as opposed to his characteristic attitude, as he blushed at the beautiful yet snickering princess. His embarrassment ran deeper than the mere prank. "I uh… pardon me. What just happens to be so funny? This is serious! You have an example to set for your subjects. You shouldn't be uh…" The princess stopped laughing and approached Ithos so slowly and seductively that he felt his heart stop. He tried his hardest to breathe and not to look so tense in her presence.

"You look so cute when you're angry, Ithos," the princess interrupted in a chillingly sultry voice. He could only blush at the half compliment. He was too embarrassed to stop them from enjoying such frivolous games, especially games at his expense. Just then, her playful flirt changed to her more normal, cheerful voice. "It's always so funny to set you two up."

"This was your doing? What do you mean, 'always'?" Nixar was shocked to hear the princess' confession. This was how he and his grandson couldn't refrain from their already exceedingly high number of arguments. "There were other times?"

"Yes, in fact, I believe there was that time whemmmphhhh..." Bahamut put his hand over her mouth. As far as he was concerned, their being caught in the act was one revelation too many for that day. Bahamia managed to free herself from his grip. "You should really be a royal comedian, Ithos. Father, can he be my personal court comedian?" This was enough. Ithos was blushing in such a furious manner that he actually had to turn around, although he loved the princess' indirect praise.

"Daughter, dear," Bahamut explained, trying to hide his amusement long enough to look stern, "the royal addressers of the people must tend to their more primary duties… like… like…" he could no longer hold back, "… like picking themselves up of the floor!" The two continued laughing and, by now, Nixar was furious.

"Your majesty. Stop this at once! The items of today need your tending. Are you going to continue this bizarre show with your daughter or are you going to tend to today's agenda?" the old dragon snarled.

"I'm sorry. You're… you are right, wise Nixar..." Bahamut said, winding down to a slightly serious attitude. "... but uh, would it be too much trouble to actually read out the items? I'm sure that you are already aware of today's plans." Bahamut smirked. Ithos had read the scrolls that morning, but his grandfather had been too busy harassing the king. Won't he be shocked? A smile appeared on Ithos' face as well.

"No, I must say I have not just yet read them, but if you insist," replied Nixar, snapping his fingers to summon forth the royal scroll bearer, "I suppose I could show you how important today actually is. Ahem, the scroll." Nixar was always choked with pride when he read. Nothing pleased him more than to sound official. The scroll was handed to him, and as he opened it, he announced in his most official voice, "Today's agenda: One. Celebrate Bahamia's birthday. Two. Celebrate Bahamia's birthday; three… wait! Something is terribly wrong! How could this be? Today is…"

"Come now, grandpa Nixar. Can you honestly say that you completely forgot about the princess' birthday? Even I remembered and I'm just an incompetent dragoon punk..." Ithos was determined to make his grandfather eat those words that cursed his youth. "... and..." he added, "... I even have a gift for her. For shame, Nixar," scolded Ithos in his most mocking voice.

The royalty before them only screamed louder in hysterics. Even Ithos was joining in on the fun, although he couldn't help blushing. He hadn't wanted the princess to know about the gift that he had, but he knew that letting her know that he had remembered was the best way out of his current situation. He contemplated in pure bliss at his victory over Nixar, but was soon disrupted by the informal hug that Bahamia gave him. Snickers came from his grandfather, who was laughing at the awkwardness in Ithos' expression. Although he wanted to glare at Nixar, Ithos was far too busy trying to avoid fainting.

"Uh, uh, um well… Princess Bahamia! You really shouldn't be so forward in your emotions."

"He's right, butterfly. I know you're happy about the gift that he has for you, but as a soon-to-become queen, you really must develop some restraint. Release him at once."

"Oh daddy. Did I do something wrong? I didn't do anything bad, did I?" the princess said in her saddest voice, while letting the terrified Ithos out of her grasp. He sighed, grateful that the king sensed his discomfort.

"Oh, oh no, honey, you could never do anything wrong. You just shouldn't… be so forward, that's all." The king was surprised to see that she could still manipulate him at the age of eighteen. Oh well, some things just cannot be helped. "Bahamia, dear. Let us go and greet our citizens. They look forward to a new year of your livelihood."

"Okay, father," she replied, smiling.

"Take care of the festivities for today, Ithos. We shall return near eve, and her birthday celebration must be in order."

"Yes, your majesty!" responded the joyful Ithos. He was overcome with happiness to be assigned such a large task, and immediately left to ask the dragoon villagers for their ideas in honor of their glorious princess. Surely a youthful party for a youthful princess should be organized by the youth.

"And as for you, Nixar…" continued Bahamut.

"Yes, your majesty? Should I order the decorations, prevent disturbances, wh… wha… what do you ask of me, sire," asked the overanxious Nixar. "Surely today's festivities require my expertise?"

"Ahem, yes. As for you, Nixar," the king of dragons finished, "just try to remember my daughter's birthday from now on," and with that, the king and princess walked out to the courtyard balcony, laughing at the bewildered Nixar whom they had left behind smiling stupidly in the hall. He still had the overanxious smile on his face, but in his mind, he was humiliated at the fact that he had failed to please his king at the hands of his "ignorant" grandson. At least Ithos left before they said that. Nixar stood there, gloomily reflecting on his failed attempt to win Bahamut's favor on the issues of today.

The noble father and daughter approached the balcony, and cheers from the adoring citizens filled the skies. No ruler could be greater than the king who had led them to victory against Leviathan's army and the dark forces of Ark. They were proud of him but even prouder of the legacy he planned to leave behind in his daughter. The adoring male dragoons roared loudly, showing off their masculinity in the hopes that their beloved Bahamia would notice one of them. The king began to speak.

"I thank you, citizens of Edolonia. I know how much the princess' life means to her dragon kinship, and I am sure you will help her enjoy this day as…"

"Shut up and move aside. We wanna see your beautiful daughter!" cracked one of the male dragoons. The crowd laughed. There was no reason to fear King Bahamut. One could joke with him as though he were a friend from the local bar.

"Very funny, young one. I take it you have plenty of the female dragoon's hearts in your possession."

"Yep! 'Fraid so, and your daughter's next!"

"You're sure of that? Say it again when you remove your lips from your mother's bosom, and maybe I'll believe it!" The crowd was roaring with the laughter they had become so accustomed to in this kingdom. The king smiled at the blushing dragoon whose friends were laughing and pointing at him in the large crowd. The princess was always pleased to see such fair sport between her subjects and her father. She wanted it to be like this when it was her turn to reign over Edolonia. In fact, seeing this made her feel more at ease about becoming their future queen. She was certain that she could win the hearts of her fellow dragoons, perhaps even faster than Bahamut himself, but that day would be far from now, and she still had much to learn.

"Now that you young fellows realize that you won't get five yards within the range of my little butterfly…" The crowd "oohed" at this term of affection, and the male dragoons laughed at his protective, fatherly retort. Bahamia only blushed. This had always been her father's term for her. He had always told her that he accredited her wings and spirit to the butterfly, soaring beautifully and idly through the air. She was truly a fair, free creature to behold, with silky, smooth-scaled skin, splendidly decorated in jade and blue. She was proud that she was valued so highly by her father and subjects.

"We will be going down to the earth to receive the gifts from our fellow Eidolons," exclaimed the king. "I leave it to you to ready the preparations for the festivities later this evening. They had better be done, or else…" the king said as he playfully winked to his subjects. After a couple of 'yeah yeahs' from the court, he motioned to his daughter and they soared down to the lower world.

As they landed, Bahamut asked his daughter, "Which of your family members do you wish to see first?"

While Bahamia thought about it, completely oblivious to Bahamut's true intentions, a crystal pendant, similar to the one already gleaming around his own neck, magically formed in his hands. When she had finally come to a decision, she turned around, only to be surprised by the sight of her father on one knee, holding his gift up to her. The noble dragoon squealed in glee.

"Oh, daddy, it's beautiful. How did you know?"

"I'm your father. I know everything. Besides, you'd be insane not to want this," he arrogantly chuckled. He was proud of the fine young dragoon his daughter had come to be and would most certainly do anything for her. She would definitely be capable of assuming the role of queen when he decided to denounce his immortality, a piece of information he purposely neglected mentioning. "This pendant is a magical link between you and I. Use it if you ever feel lost, and the two will work together, letting us know where we both are."

"I wish you had a birthday, father. Then I'd get you a gift, too."

"Ha! Ha! My little butterfly, I don't need gifts, but if you could sneak me some cake from the kitchen…"

"Father! You are such a glutton!" The two laughed, flapping their wings so hard, the dust all around them began to kick up. When they settled, Bahamia made her decision. "Well, I want to see Auntie Shiva, first. It's been so long. Daddy, please?"

"It's your birthday. You're the boss." The two took off, flying at a blazing speed. Bahamut was the fastest creature in all the skies. He could break the sound barrier at will, and his daughter, well… she was made in his image, after all. He had not yet given her his immortality, but her physical skill was already developing quite well. Bahamut played with the idea, then stated his own. "What say you to a race? I know of your tomboyish instincts!" Bahamia could only blush once more.

"Sure you're not too old to catch me?"

"Old, ha! I never age!"

"Nor does that big mouth," and with that, the princess flapped her wings furiously, letting the wind become visible in glorious flashes that hit her father in the eyes, forcing him to look the other way. When his eyes finally opened, he was surprised to see his daughter almost out of distance. The fire within him flared up, and he strongly followed in pursuit. His wings contracted and then he spun, spiraling through anything in his path like a bullet, whether it was the wind, or the sound barrier itself.

Bahamia turned for a quick glance to see how close her father had gotten, only to be caught in the dragon king's horizontal tornado as he whirled past. She was stunned for a few seconds, but quickly imitated her father's form and raced on to reclaim the lead that he had stolen. Try as she might, she did not have the same experience or skill at this that her father had. The two slowed to a stop, catching their breath.

"Looks like you've lost. Bahamia," her father taunted. "You're very good, but you'll only surpass me if you train harder."

"But I am training hard, father. I've already surpassed my teachers. They've told me so themselves." Bahamut was astounded. He was surprised at how strong his mortal heiress to his own immortality had become. She could improve, because she was mortal; his power was fixed. Bahamia would surpass him before he gave her immortality, but not without his help.

"Well, then. I guess that the time has come to put your training in my hands, wouldn't you agree, my warrior princess?"

"Really? Would you train me personally?"

"How else could you beat your father?"

"Oh thank you! Wait a second. You didn't know I surpassed my teachers?" Bahamut chuckled nervously. He had been busy dealing with the affairs of the kingdom. He had not yet found the time to check on his daughter's progress. "Well…? I'm waiting!" He was dragged out of thought to be looking at a fuming daughter. She had every right to be upset. He hadn't been spending time with her lately; the least he could do is keep up with how she was doing.

"Uh… heh, heh… heh. What uh… matters… heh, is that I'm training you now… I'm sorry dear. It's just that I've been working on my royal duties. The subjects are important, too. You know that." He waited patiently and nervously for her reaction. The frown from her face turned to giggles, then into an outburst of laughter. It was Bahamut's turn to blush. She had tricked him.

"Dad, I can't believe you thought I was mad! I know you're a king. In case you haven't realized, my being a princess and your being my father gave it away. I'm not really that selfish, am I?"

"It's hard to tell!" Bahamut burst out laughing. He had gotten her back. Before she could stop fuming he saved himself and calmed her. "But enough talk. We don't have long before we reach Shiva's domain. Let us depart from this brief respite." The two took off and headed north, intent on reaching the icy domain of Shiva.