Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Desolation ❯ Secrets of the Viera ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: As I played through FFTA, I found myself asking (along with everyone else in the game), "Why DOES Marche want to go back to his world? It's better here!" So I wrote a story to prove that point.

Summary: Marche returns to his world…and comes to realize that he's never made a greater mistake.

Desolation

A Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Fanfic by

Nate Grey (XMAN0123@aol.com)

des~o~la~tion n

1: the action of desolating

2: grief, sadness

3: loneliness

4: devastation, ruin

5: barren wasteland

Prologue: Secrets of the Viera

Eldena smiled as the Icedrake closed his eyes and settled down on the cool stone floor. She continued to hum and gently stroke his head until the rumbling snores made it impossible for him to hear her. "Rest easy, old friend," she murmured, donning her red Wizard's Hat and quietly leaving the Dragon Pens.

Like the rest of the clan's monsters, Propus the Icedrake had been having trouble sleeping lately. Everyone knew the cause, but few were actually willing to state the obvious problem. Instead, most of the clan tried to function as if nothing had changed, but that was just impossible, and they all knew it.

Marche and Ritz had been gone for nearly three months now, though time must have passed much slower for them in the realm of St. Ivalice. Eldena suspected a day hadn't even unfolded for the battle-hardened children yet, but it certainly felt like ages to the friends and clan mates they had left behind.

Suddenly, a heart-wrenching wail of anguish floated through the Monster Bank, and the many monsters that hadn't found sleep yet replied at once with their own cries. Sighing, Eldena increased her pace, and soon found the source of the wail in the Lamia Pens.

The clan's best Beastmaster, the wizened Nu Mou Thane, was doing his best to calm the weeping Lamia, but she continued to sob, rejecting his offers of food and comfort. A look of relief passed over his face at Eldena's approach, and he quickly motioned her forward.

Eldena began to hum her song again as she came closer. She had long since run out of food for the various monsters, so music would have to do until a runner could be sent to a shop. Even then, the chances of any other business being open this late was highly unlikely, so Eldena knew she was probably a last resort.

Fortunately, most Lamia had a penchant for music, and this one was no different. The serpentine monster quieted as the Red Mage came closer and took the creature's scaly claws in her soft, warm hands.

Thane sighed as he bent down to rummage through his bag of supplies. "Poor Ulash is heartbroken, I think. She must miss that boy more than all of us combined."

Eldena only nodded as she continued to hum to Ulash, who was captivated by her song. Most of the clan's monsters had grown attached to Marche very quickly. He'd always insisted on feeding them himself, and while many had come to see him simply as a provider of food, the others considered him a vital part of their lives. It must have been very difficult for them, either knowing for sure or sensing that he was gone.

But it wasn't just the monsters that missed Marche. Eldena had to admit that she, too, had a soft spot in her heart for the boy she had watched mature so rapidly. She found it amazing that someone with such a gentle soul could be so fear inspiring as he rushed into the battle, the legendary twin blades of Gaol gripped so expertly in his hands. But at the same time, she knew that Marche hated having to fight his way out of so many encounters. In the end, though, it was their clan's might that had determined their success. Without Marche to lead them, the entire group just seemed…dulled, somehow.

The sad fact was that no one person could replace Marche. Cheney the Thief, Littlevili the Sniper, and even Lini the Gunner had stepped forward to lead for a time. Each had the original four's blessing (Beltran had never gotten over being let go solely to obtain a knife), and each had discovered that the pressures of leadership simply overwhelmed them.

Eldena's thoughts were interrupted as a hand gripped her shoulder. She looked up to see Shanon the Assassin staring down at her.

"It is time," the black-clothed Viera stated simply, her dark eyes leaving no doubt about what she meant.

"Has it been long enough yet?" Eldena questioned, noticing that Shanon's ever-present companion, Rosetta the Elementalist, had brought an Echo Screen for Ulash to snack on. "Maybe we should wait a little longer."

Shanon shook her head and crossed her arms over her chest. "It's been too long already. They could be in serious danger. We need to do it quickly."

"What does Shara think about-"

"Littlevili's gone to fetch her," Shanon interrupted with a hasty nod. "It is time, Eldena. I would think you'd be especially anxious to do this."

The Red Mage lowered her head so that her expression was not visible under the wide brim of her Wizard's Hat. "I am," she said softly. "But I want to be sure. I suppose there's no point in arguing with you, though, if everyone is already coming together."

Shanon seemed to guess Eldena's mood. "I meant no disrespect, elder," she added hesitantly. She was clearly not used to making apologies.

Eldena lifted her head and laughed. "Nor did I ask you to make me feel older than I already am! But you are right; it must be time now." She stroked the Lamia's hood affectionately, and was pleased to see Ulash offer a small smile as she munched somewhat happily on Rosetta's gift.

Thane gave the trio the briefest of glances as he began to sharpen Ulash's claws for her. "A little late for a gathering, isn't it, ladies?"

"Oh, no," Rosetta disagreed at once. "It's the perfect time for a Viera gathering, elder."

"Don't wait up for us," Eldena advised, touching his shoulder. "We'll be gone all night, most likely, and probably some of the morning."

"I hope your council is fruitful," Thane replied respectfully, nodding at them.

"We mean for it to be," Eldena murmured, mostly to herself, as the three Viera walked away from the Monster Bank.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Next Chapter: Alone

Marche wakes up in St. Ivalice, but his family is gone, and all he has to go on is a strange call from Ritz.