Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Miracles ❯ Lost heart ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lost heart

The sun went down slowly, as if trying to keep this day of pain alive for Icarus to suffer. Icarus was slumped against the chocobo, staining it's golden feathers red with her blood. She had no idea where this beautiful creature was taking her, but she trusted it fully. The closest town would have to be Midgar, but she wasn't quite sure anymore. Her vision was blurry and she was at the edge of consciousness.

Little did she know, Marcus had alerted guards to catch Icarus if she entered Midgar that night, and as she neared Midgar she grew weaker and wouldn't be able to defend as well as usual. The chocobo made a small warking sound, knowing where to go and doing his very best to handle the girl on his back with extreme gentleness. Contrary to what people think, chocobos are very smart and this one knew that the girl was wounded and sick.

The chocobo carried the girl to Midgar with a great deal of pride, not knowing that he would soon meet his fate at the gates. As he walked on, cooing in warks he came upon the big iron gates that separated Midgar from everything else, and was shot in the leg.

Icarus jumped with a start and sat up, wincing in pain as she did so. Spot lights shown on her and the chocobo that was limping his way to safety. The men at the gate began shooting again, this time killing the chocobo and throwing Icarus off of it and tossing her to the ground. She rolled into the darkness and the spotlights died until she would be spotted again. She crawled over to the dying body of the chocobo and petted the soft feathers of it's head. "I'm so sorry, little thing." She whispered. She let tears slip down her cheeks again. All of her hard work of putting on the face that she didn't care about anything and that she hated everyone quickly died with the chocobo. That wasn't her. Regardless what people thought she really was happy and she liked and cared for everyone, she didn't want people to think she was weak, and the only person who truly new her was Silo, but he could no longer utter her secret.

Icarus kissed the chocobo on his cold yellow beak and stood. She had to get into Midgar. She needed medical care and a place to stay until she figured out what to do. Her heart was broken, she was in nothing but a trench coat and her under garments, and worst yet, it began to snow.

The frozen flakes fell on Icarus as she thought about what to do. She definitely couldn't sleep outside or she would be dead by morning, and if she didn't get herself help she would die anyway. Death sounded like a pretty nice thing to Icarus at the moment, but her father told her that death was a coward's way out of things and real warriors went on regardless of what made them want to die in the first place.

She reasoned a plan in her head and began to descend to the iron gates. The spotlights blinked on, blinded her, but she stood proudly, her trench coat blowing in the frozen breeze. Let them have her. Once inside the city, she would break free and run.

And the men did just that. One man grabbed her by the arm and escorted her into the city limits. Icarus couldn't help the smirk that began to play on her lips. They were foolish enough to believe that she was to wounded to fight and only had one man holding her and they neglected to search for weapons. Her gun was in her pocket, her sword on her back under her trench coat. So foolish, so stupid she thought as she easily killed the man holding her by pulling her gun from her pocket and shooting him in the side. The man fell in a pool of his own blood and Icarus was free.

She dashed off, making the best of her 5 second head start as the other men thundered after her. She let her feet guide her to wherever they thought she would be safe, regardless of the pain her body felt and the overwhelming tiredness in her beaten, battered body.

She dashed the streets of Midgar and finally lost the men in the graveyard. She dropped down behind an large, old, worn, unmarked grave. The men searched for a short while but soon gave up and left, but Icarus dared not move. Her body wouldn't let her even if she wanted to.

"Will this be my grave?" Icarus wondered. She knew all the guards would be double, so the hope of getting to the hospital was lost and even if she did make it, they hospital staff would be on watch for her anyway. She would most likely die here, in this graveyard unless someone found her, but honestly, who came to a graveyard this late at night? She put up the best fight she could. All there was left to do now was let lifestream curl it's warm, Mako green tendrils around her body and welcome her to death. But it would seem fate had something different in store for her.