Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Sanctuary ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Notes: This takes place after the end of the game. If anyone wants to flame for the pairing, don't waste your time. I'm fully capable of arguing with anyone who claims that Vincent is Sephiroth's father. I've heard that claim far too many times and to anyone who thinks that, I'd suggest they play the game again and pay close attention to the dialogue. Towards the end Hojo says flat out that he is Sephiroth's father and that Sephiroth doesn't know it. In fact, when Cloud first has his flashback of Sephiroth, Sephiroth says, "My mother is Jenova. She died right after she gave birth to me. My father... What does it matter...?" This seems to hint that he did know who his father was and didn't approve of him. And we know Sephiroth didn't approve of Hojo since, in his own words, "Hojo of Shinra, Inc... An inexperienced man assigned to take over the work of a great scientist." There is also the fact that Vincent never makes any claim aside from saying that Lucretia was lovely and that she chose to become part of Hojo and Gast's experiment. I admit they seem to have had a relationship before she left him, at least on his part, but there's nothing to say it was sexual. Never was there anything that showed or even hinted that she might have been pregnant with Vincent's child when she decided to become part of the experiment. All the game showed was that Vincent was against experimenting on humans and that Lucretia and Hojo disagreed with him. And he blamed himself for not stopping her. For anyone who wants to argue over this point, please feel free to email me. I took very careful notes the last time I played the game and I have faith in what I've learned. If anything, there is no proof as to who Sephiroth's father is *except* for Hojo's claim. It remains up for debate. ^_^' I love to argue.
Category: Game, Final Fantasy VII, Yaoi, TWT
Warning: slight angst, minor violence, spoilers
Pairings: will be SephirothxVincent
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com
Website/Complete Archive: www.geocities.com/arigatomina

Sanctuary

Part 1

It happened so quickly. Somehow Vincent had expected the end of the world to be drawn out more. He thought people would be forced to suffer longer. But meteor fell with only the slightest hesitation, a token resistance as Holy worked to keep it away from the earth. The extraordinary spell that was supposed to be the only counter for Meteor failed miserably and they were rocked as the two met, the airship tossed on waves of air. He was nearly blinded by his own hair, metal claw digging into the railing and preventing him from being thrown over. Red eyes squinting in the brightness of the flame and pale light, he could see Cloud holding Tifa, keeping her secure when her strength wasn't enough to steady her. Yuffie and Barrett were also crouched together, the large man blocking her slide with his metallic arm. He didn't turn to see if Cait Sith were holding his own, the doll could be replaced. Reeve had done so before so there was no worry there. Besides, if the world were about to end a trip over the edge of the railing would merely simplify things. The thought crossed his mind at the same time as the ship gave a horrible lurch and something brushed past him, a bit of red trailing orange fire.

Nanaki scrambled at the edge of the railing, his claws curving as he tried to hold himself up. His hind legs scrambled, digging grooves in the glossy outside of the ship but finding no purchase. Then something glowed beneath him and he turned his head, looking down at the river of green that flowed over the ground. He heard Barrett call out to him, but his eyes were locked on the current, the lifestream that rushed toward the battleground Meteor and Holy were locked in. A hand closed over his left foreleg and his head snapped back, eyes widening at the scowling gaze of the man leaning over him. A metal claw brushed his right leg but pulled back just as quickly. It would cut his paw off if it closed over him, he was sure of it.

Glaring, Vincent didn't dare look down at the lifestream below the ship, knowing he'd be distracted if he did. The Highwind jerked to the side and Nanaki's claws fell down a few inches, the wood cut with a dull sound the lifestream's current overrode. The earth wasn't going to give up without a fight, meaning death now might not be the best choice. The desperate eyes that shone up at him told as much.

The red-cloaked man stepped to the side and Nanaki watched him, keeping as still as possible so he wouldn't fall any further. That clawed hand turned before closing over the edge of the railing, the wood splintering as metal dug in. Then the man was hanging beside him and he didn't know what to think, unable to read the dark eyes that watched him. Vincent's right arm moved around him and he could barely hear the man's low voice over the sounds that rose from below.

"Climb!" He could see the hesitation and Vincent jerked his head to the side nodding upward. "My cloak and armor will hold, climb now." The lion-like creature nodded and he turned to look upward as a claw caught on the glove covering his left arm. The material gave a bit, but Nanaki gained traction quickly and Vincent winced against the claws climbing up his back, his right hand aching on the sharp edge of the railing. The flaming tail was held up a bit but he still turned his head to the side to keep from being singed as Nanaki reached his shoulders. Then the red tail was over the railing and he pulled himself up with his arms, his steel-toed boots useless against the polished wood. A dull rip sounded an instant before he swung to the right, his left hand clutching the railing quickly. The glove hung there for a moment, torn leather catching his eye before it fell and he looked down, watching as it was swallowed by the green stream of light. His eyes were dazed by the color and sharp pain brought him back, his eyes flicking up to find that his grip had slacked without his even realizing it. Blood trailed to the edge of his black shirt and he blinked at Nanaki's claws, suddenly intrigued by how deeply they were caught in the skin at his wrists. The Highwind jerked again and his breath hissed against the high collar of his cloak.

Nanaki didn't know what to do and he was vaguely aware of Cloud trying to get to them. His claws were slipping, slicing through the man's thin skin in a way that made his stomach curl despite the fact that he was no vegetarian. The light churned around them as the Lifestream clashed with meteor, but his eyes were locked on Vincent's dark hair. The man was no longer looking at him, but rather at his claws. He heard a familiar curse in the background as Cid tried to steady the Highwind and he glanced back to see Cloud pressing Tifa into the shelter of Barrett's large arm. The blonde youth looked at him just as the entire airship fell down sharply, clipping trees before rising again. Nanaki's head snapped around, but his claws flexed on nothing, startled red eyes staring up from a mess of black hair as the man fell, swallowed by a churning sea of pale green.

* * *

His first sensations were of restraint, as if he'd become tangled up in something. With heavy eyelids, he lay still for moments before forcing his eyes open, his vision too blurred to make out more than a darkness above him, shadows that might be trees. He had barely begun to shift when he realized he was lying on something, against someone. A warm arm was wrapped over his stomach, holding his own arms immobile and he tensed, his head trying to lift. Another arm lay over his neck, tilting his head back. A long minute passed before he struggled suddenly, the arm tightening around his neck until his vision swarmed red, blood pounding in his ears. A low voice whispered something behind him, but he sank into darkness without making it out.

* * *

He woke as slowly as he had before, but the disorientation was missing this time. Although his head hurt badly enough to make him long for more sleep, he knew he was lying on someone, his back pressed against a muscled form. The arm was still around his waist, but a pale hand was circling his wrists now, holding them together in a loose hold. The person behind him was breathing deeply and he held very still, his back lifted by the rise and fall of a chest. There was a sharp blade along his neck, he felt it as he swallowed, but it wasn't pressed to his skin. After a moment's thought, he wondered if his captor wasn't sleeping.

He'd lost his gun during the fall, and Yuffie had taken his materia immediately after the last battle. Now he wished he'd held onto it, despite promising her she could have it. He didn't even have his clawed glove. Too many years had passed since he'd first acquired the addition and it was odd to be without it now, he felt bereft somehow. But it made him wonder if he could access Chaos. The limit break would be enough to take care of anyone, but a quick check told him he didn't have enough battle experience built up. The sword shifted, razor-edge barely touching his skin, and he opened his eyes, looking at the pale sky above the trees as he waited. The person he was leaning on sat up slowly, moving him as well and his hands were released suddenly. Vincent still didn't move though, since the sharp blade shifted as well until it was pressed to his neck. His head was tilted and he glanced to the side without moving, pale hair entering his vision as the person leaned over his shoulder. From the corner of his eyes he saw an infinitely familiar face and he froze in pure shock. "Sephiroth?!"

"It is amazing," Sephiroth whispered, sea-green eyes glaring at his captive, "that even now you won't let me be. Even after defeating me, destroying meteor, you still must follow me. But you, you are in no condition to kill me."

Staring into that hateful gaze, Vincent remained silent. Death was probably imminent, but a cool numbness met his senses and he waited patiently. After all, he had no reason to fear death; as far as his humanity was concerned, he'd been dead for years. The pale-haired man spoke again and he had a vague sense of surprise, nothing like his first shock. Sephiroth sounded different somehow.

"...and I barely survived..."

The man seemed almost to be talking to himself and Vincent turned his eyes forward again, still holding motionless. They were in a small clearing, the trees familiar to his sight. He remembered striking a few of them during his fall, before he'd landed hard enough to knock him out. His gaze flicked back to the scowling man leaning over his shoulder and he blinked, voice cool. "Why haven't you killed me yet?"

Glaring at those calm red eyes, Sephiroth's lip twitched in a slight sneer. "I just wanted to be left alone."

There was dried blood on the pale man's face and Vincent stared at it for a moment before commenting on the odd words. "Why didn't you just leave, then?"

"So you could have the opportunity to catch me off guard?" Sephiroth murmured, his eyes mocking. "I didn't survive the life stream just to die because these petty wounds left me vulnerable."

Understanding dawned quickly and Vincent's eyes rose a bit to the blood again. The man was still suffering from the final attack against him. And he'd said it already, he was vulnerable, meaning death might not be assured after all. Eyes flicking to the trees across from them, Vincent took in the surrounding with more care. He just had to wait for an opening, with care taken for the sword at his throat. A hand clenched in his hair and his eyes narrowed when his head was jerked back.

"Do you have Jenova's cells in you?" Sephiroth asked, his voice hardening suddenly. Those red eyes glared at him and a hand grabbed his wrist, pulling the sword back a few inches. His own grip tightened around thick black hair, eyes flicking over Vincent's angry expression. "It's true. I remember you from the battle. I saw you fight, I could *see* Hojo's hand in you."

Vincent shivered despite himself, not meeting those pale eyes. It wasn't Jenova. Experiments, magic, Mako poisoning, torture, yes, many things had been involved in his change, but not that. His voice was a low whisper, hiding his involuntary weakness. "I share no blood with *you*." Sephiroth shoved him forward suddenly and he landed on his hands and knees, glaring for a second before rising to his feet. His hands curled, very aware of his lack of weapons, and he turned to look at his enemy. The white-haired man was crouched on the ground, that dried blood making him seem even paler than Vincent remembered. But Sephiroth must have healed somehow because he stood slowly, his stance not betraying any injuries.

"Who are you, then?"

The voice had a tint of curiosity in it that almost made him blink and Vincent frowned slightly. Sephiroth didn't know. But then, how could he? His mind flew back to the man's quiet words. He'd said he wanted to be left alone. Vincent wondered if that were possible, that Lucrecia's son might actually have gotten past his madness. Cloud had told him that Sephiroth was once a Soldier and that his eruption had been caused by discovering his origin. It was possible that the man had calmed after his defeat by Cloud, but Vincent simply couldn't believe it. It couldn't be that easy. But Sephiroth didn't seem to be injured at all, yet the man hadn't attacked him. Those pale sea-green eyes were merely watching him with a thoughtful expression. His own eyes dropped, skirting over the ground. His gun had been hooked to his hip when he'd fallen, but he saw no sign of it now. A rush of wind whipped his hair and his head jerked back, narrow eyes going to the spot where Sephiroth had stood. Muscles tensing, he glared, furious that he'd been so foolish as to take his eyes off the man.

Vincent jerked when his arms were caught, red eyes narrowing to slits. His wrists burned at the hold on them and he suddenly felt his own injuries. He'd somehow managed to ignore them, not realizing the result of his fall. The sword wasn't pressed to him this time, but he held still, expecting it soon enough. Sephiroth leaned over his shoulder again and he turned his glare toward the man, hiding his surprise at the slight smile curving those pale lips.

"You're going to help me," Sephiroth smirked, watching as Vincent's red eyes widened.

Surprise shook him, knocking away both his wariness and his anger and Vincent blinked. "With what?" His wariness returned quickly enough, though, as the man gave a dark smile.

"If you found me, then the others could as well. You're going to help me get to Nibelheim." Those red eyes darkened and Sephiroth shifted his hold on the man's wrists, expecting resistance.

Ice stabbed its way through him and Vincent flinched away from those pale eyes, not wanting to give his feelings away. The place was one he didn't want to see again. He couldn't think why Sephiroth would want to go there, either, but that didn't really matter. Grasping a cold anger, he glared back at the eyes watching him. "What makes you think I would help you?" It made no sense. Sephiroth obviously didn't need help getting anywhere. The man may not have been up to another fight with Cloud and the others, but Vincent knew the fighters thought their enemy dead. There was no point in Sephiroth even worrying about their coming after him. Sea-green eyes glinted and the man gave him a quick smile, not quite as dark but still mocking.

"It's the last place they would go, now that their world is saved," Sephiroth murmured. His hand closed in an iron grip around the man's wrists and he raised his right arm, curving it around Vincent's cloaked shoulder. Those red eyes widened when they fell on the golden orb in his hand and the man struggled suddenly. Yellow light made his eyes narrow a bit and Sephiroth smirked when Vincent's struggles stilled, the pale glow settling over the man's red-clothed form. "You may have lost your materia," he said, his smirk widening, "but I haven't. Without your supportive materia, you're easily manipulated." His hand opened and Sephiroth took a light step back, watching as Vincent remained immobile.

Replacing the materia, Sephiroth moved to stand in front of the black-haired man, his eyes sweeping over him. He hadn't had a chance to really look at him before since he'd been occupied with healing himself. Now his hand rose to touch the metal buckles holding Vincent's cloak closed over the bottom half of his face. His lips curved into a smirk and he met glaring red eyes for a second, knowing the man was aware, even if he was helpless. With a flick of his fingers he parted the cloth and paused. He was surprised. He'd expected to find the man deformed, or scarred at the least, but he wasn't. In fact, the man looked as young as him, that pale face clear of any lines as if he'd never shown expression. Sephiroth's hands fell and he glared suddenly, gaze locking on Vincent's face. Those eyes had been dark red before, glaring with a cold anger that even Sephiroth could read. But they were wide now, and panicked somehow. He didn't know what to make of the change and he frowned, taking a slow step back.

It took a simple thought to loosen his control over the man enough to let him speak and Sephiroth jerked his head. "What's wrong with you?" Silence met him, and he raised an eyebrow when those bright red eyes darkened again, a hard glare aimed at him. Smirking, he gave a soft snort. "Fine. Keep your silence, then." Waving a hand to the side, he prodded the man in his mind and watched as Vincent walked past him. The dark-haired man's steps were stilted a bit, but not too noticeably odd. As he followed, Sephiroth was glad he kept plenty of turbo ethers on him. He was sure he'd have to reapply the spell often. Even without his accessories and materia, Vincent seemed to have a strong natural defense to magic. But then, Sephiroth had lost few of his items in the lifestream and he still had a hypnocrown. That increased his ability to manipulate so much that no inherent strength would be enough to resist him.

Sephiroth couldn't help but think of how useful the man would be. While Cloud and the others probably wouldn't look for him, it would be better if he wasn't spotted by anyone. He wanted no rumors to make their way back to the boy and his comrades. With Vincent, he could use the man to acquire a boat. It would have been quicker to fly, and he was almost completely recovered, but doing something like that would increase the likelihood of his being spotted. Besides, he was in no hurry. It was as if all of his ambitions had left him, wiped out somehow. But he wasn't going to dwell on the lack of motivation. He had a desire to reach Nibelheim, the place where it had all started. Despite being the jumping point of everything, the town was isolated, surely empty by now. No one would bother him there.

They were a long way from that destination, though, and Sephiroth's mind flew even as he kept Vincent moving in front of him. Once they got out of the wooded mountains surrounding the crater, it would be a simple thing to walk to the Icicle Inn. Surely he could find some sort of transportation there. He had every intention of stealing a chocobo and crossing the mountains to Bone Village if that was what it took. There had to be boats in that town, considering how near it was to the ocean. He'd thought this plan out the night before, as he'd healed himself and watched his captive. Now, he let a small smile curve his lips. He was actually feeling relief to have figured it out. And there was absolutely nothing to stand in the way of fulfilling his plans.

* * *
TBC
--notes--
Expect typical Arigatomina angst in the future, as well as shonen ai (no plotless PWP here) and definite lemon content. I've yet to find a fic for this pairing that wasn't a PWP or horribly violent on Sephiroth's part, so I thought I'd try and break the pattern. If anyone *does* know of one, please let me know.