Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ War and Roses ❯ Rifts ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Notes: Another FF8 fic! Huzzah! This one will focus on Laguna, Raine, and Kiros. I really don't know where it'll go, but it should be interesting. As a warning, it may contain both heterosexual and homosexual situations, so avoid if you have a problem with those. As always, any questions, comments, or whatever are more than welcome.

Disclaimer: I don't own Final Fantasy VIII. Bill Gates does. No, wait. That's Square. Square. Square owns FF8.

==============
War and Roses
==============

"I'm back!" Laguna runs into the small bar, stops just inside the door, and salutes smartly. "199 monsters killed and three wounded. I would ha-" He pauses as he notices an unfamiliar form standing before the bar. Blinking, he carefully walks forward until he, too, is standing before the long barrier of wood. As he glances at the dark-skinned stranger, his face breaks into a beaming smile.

"Kiros!" He exclaims and slaps his old friend fondly on the shoulder. "When did you get here?"

"I guess while you were on patrol." Kiros grins slightly. "This young lady was kind enough to tell me what happened. I'm not surprised, though. It seems you always survive even the stupidest stunts."

"Hey!" Laguna chuckles and rubs at the back of his neck. "I can't help it if I'm a natural survivor. Hey, what happened to Ward? Is he here, too?"

"Well, I see you two have a lot to talk about." Raine chuckles and steps out from behind the bar. "I'll leave you two alone, then. Just make sure that no one comes in looking for a drink."

"Wait!" Laguna rushes over and takes her by the arm. "You don't have to go. It's not like we're going to be discussing anything embarrassing."

"It's okay." The girl smiles and shakes her head. "I want to check on Elle, anyway, and see how she's doing." She peers past Laguna and offers the other a soft smile. "It was nice meeting you, Mr. Seagull. I hope you enjoy your stay in the town."

--------------------------------------

"She seems nice enough." Kiros comments lightly as he sinks into one of the vacant seats. "It makes me wonder why she decided to take you in."

"Hey!" Laguna offers his friend a light glare before slumping into a seat opposite him. "She is a nice girl, though. Her little girl's so sweet, too. I'm really glad that this is how things worked out."

"Are you?" The dark-skinned lad questions him. "I thought you always wanted to be a writer and travel the world. Did you give up on that?"

"No." Laguna slowly shakes his head. "I still want to do that, but I-I feel that I still owe something to Raine. She took me in despite what the rest of the town felt and nursed me back to health. I want to do something for her, in return."

"Oh." Kiros sighs faintly and lowers his eyes to stare at the clean tabletop. After a moment, he glances up to Laguna and smiles. "That's awfully noble of you. I didn't know that you're capable of such things."

"I'm perfectly capable of being noble." Laguna huffs slightly. "Hey, what happened to Ward? How come he didn't come along with you?"

"He never really recovered from the last mission." Kiros explains solemnly. "They say that he's lost all use of his voice and that he'll never be able to speak again. Last I heard, he went off in search of a new job."

"That's sad." Laguna sighs and closes his eyes. "I hope things work out for him."

"I'm sure they will." The darker lad chuckles as he reaches across and brushes his hand to Laguna's cheek. "He's like you. He seems to come out of every bad situation. I suppose all three of us do."

"K-Kiros?" Laguna, pure confusion in his guileless blue eyes, glances at the other questioningly. Not that it's an unpleasant thing, just unexpected. In fact, it's quite nice. Kiros, smiling at his reaction, leans in closer and stares deeply into the lad's beautiful eyes.

"I've missed you, Laguna." He whispers softly as his hand trails down to caress his neck. "I was worried about you."

"I-I.." Laguna, blushing a deep crimson, stammers. "Why were you worried?" He manages after a moment. "I thought you said that I always come through even the stupidest of situations."

"That's true." Kiros chuckles and leans closer still. Now, their faces are but a whisper apart. "I suppose it was silly of me to worry."

"I-I think I'd better go find Raine." Laguna stammers as he quickly gets to his feet and backs away from the dark-skinned man. "I think she wanted me to sit for Elle this afternoon. I-I'll see you, around, okay?"

So saying, he runs quickly out of the bar. Watching this, Kiros grins to himself and leans back in his chair. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

-------------------

As she steps out of the bar, Raine closes her dark eyes and smiles to herself. Life has been good to her. Sure, Laguna is a handful at times and can be even more childish than Ellone, but he's also sweet and extremely caring. It was all worthwhile to take him in.

"Elle?" She calls as she steps into the house next to the bar. "Are you here?"

"Raine!" The little girl calls as she runs across the room and over to the woman. Bending, Raine pulls her into a tight hug before offering the elderly lady coming up behind a soft smile.

"I hope she wasn't too much trouble."

"No trouble at all." The old woman smiles fondly and shakes her head. "I'd be happy to sit for her anytime."

"Thanks." Raine smiles and gets to her feet. "I'm just suprised that she actually behaves for you. I'm afraid she can be--"

"Uncle Laguna!" The little girl squeals and runs over to the dark-haired man who had just entered. "Are you going to play with me?"

"Hey, Elle." The man smiles and gently ruffles the girl's hair. "I'll play with you in a minute, ok? I'd like to talk to Raine for a moment."

"Ookay."

"Ellone, why don't you go back to the bar?" Raine instructs the little girl. "Just make sure no one comes in looking for a drink or anything."

"Ookay."

----------------------------

The two walk to the edge of town and, upon finding a suitable spot, sit down together. Laguna is silent for a moment as he tries to think if he really should tell her what had happened back at the bar. After all, maybe Kiros was just putting him on. They had been friends for quite a long time; it's probably all just an elaborate prank.

"It's not like you to be so quiet." Raine chuckles and leans back on her elbows. "What's on your mind?"

"I can be quiet." Laguna, grinning easily, huffs. "I just wanted to have a quiet conversation with you, is all. I..well.." He trails off into a difficult silence. Why is it so hard to speak about the important things when around her? After a moment, he sighs and glances at her sidelong. "I just want to thank you, for everything."

"Thank me?" Raine blinks her dark eyes at him then breaks into a soft smile. "That's not like you." She sighs and tilts her head back to look at the blue sky overhead. "Besides, it wasn't that big of a deal. What was I supposed to do? Just leave you there?"

"It's not that." Laguna leans back too, but keeps his eyes on her. "I know that the rest of the town really resented it. It, well, it means a lot to me."

"Does it?" She smiles faintly and closes her eyes. "You've been very good since you've come here. You've helped me with Elle and, beyond that, you seem to be something like an idol to her. You've helped to keep the town monster free when most of the men are off fighting the War. You're definitely a worthwhile addition to the town." She opens her eyes and glances at him. "That's why it's kind of sad that you'll be going."

"Going?" Laguna blinks and looks at her quizzically. "Where am I going?"

"Hmm?" She returns his glance with faint confusion. "I thought that was why your war buddy came back. I just figured that you were going back to the War."

"Mm." Laguna shakes his head faintly and runs a hand through his dark hair. "I really don't want to go back. I'd rather stay here or, better yet, I'd like to travel. I'd like to travel and see far away lands and write stories about them."

"Is that so?" Raine grins and gets to her feet. "That's a nice dream, but you can't make it come true by staying here. I guess you have to decide what's most important to you."

"Hey!" Laguna blinks at her. "Where are you going?"

"Back to town." She gestures over her shoulder. "I don't want to leave Elle alone for too long a stretch."

"Oh." Laguna, looking slightly defeated, gets to his feet. "I'll go with you. I promised that I'd play with her."

"Hey." Raine comments after walking along a few moments in silence. "Why don't I make a really nice meal tonight for the three of us? Four, if you want to ask your friend to stay. It'd be a nice change of pace."

"Ookay." He grins and nods. "But I think I'd better spend some time with Elle. I did promise that I'd play with her."

"Ookay."

==========
Chapter 1: Rifts
==========

Laguna Liore sits quietly in the dark upper room of the bar. Two candles lend a feeble light to the room, but cannot hide the table laying on its side or the food products smeared across the walls. The evening had been going so well, too. He sighs and places his head in his hands.

Maybe he really ought to just go.

He can hear the heated voices below and he knows all too well the subject of their argument. Dinner had been going well. He had been telling Raine about his old days in the army and Kiros had been supplying some details better left unsaid. That didn't bother him, though. It's not like it was anything that would damage his reputation or anything of the like.

Then Kiros had taken his hand. He had tried to laugh it off, but the dark-skinned man had insisted. Raine had seen this and had grown quite annoyed. Kiros didn't mind; he only leaned closer. Elle had thought they were playing a game and so she took Laguna's other hand and cuddled close to him. Seeing this, Raine had really lost it.

"Never knew she had such a good arm, though." Laguna chuckles to himself and glances at the food-stained wall. "I just hope I never get her angry enough to throw something at me."

------------------------------------------------------------- -------

A few minutes later, Laguna walks slowly down the steps. Raine stands behind the bar and viciously swipes at a spot that has doubtlessly been wiped a thousand times. Kiros is nowhere in sight nor is Elle. Blinking at this, Laguna steps into Raine's line of sight and peers at her curiously.

"Hey, where'd everyone go?" He asks quietly. "Did you throw them out?"

"Of course not." Raine huffs and pushes a bit of dark hair away from her face. "Your little friend decided he wanted to go for a walk and I sent Elle to bed. I figured she had enough excitement for one night."

"Good call." Laguna chuckles easily and glances at the open door. "I'm just sorry she had to see that."

"I'm sure you are." The woman responds icily, earning a hurt glance from the ex-soldier. "I just wish you had told me that you and that...that man were more than friends. It would have made things easier."

"Raine, Kiros and I are only friends." He speaks ernestly, hoping to make her believe him. After a moment, he bows his head and glances aside. "At least, that's what we were. I don't know what's on his mind now."

"I'm sure I could tell you." The woman chuckles harshly. "It sure as hell has nothing to do with retelling war stories."

"Raine.." Laguna looks at her pleadingly, but is met only with a cold stare. After a moment, he sighs and turns. "Alright. I see how it is. I'm sorry for everything, Raine, and I'm also grateful for everything. Kiss Elle for me."

Without another word, Laguna walks out in the chill night air. He shivers faintly, though he isn't sure if it's the weather or the fact that he has just walked out on the second woman ever to mean a lot to him. Seems like he's just not cut out for this whole relationship thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, where are you going?"

"I'm leaving." Laguna pauses at the sound of the familiar voice, but doesn't turn. "After what happened at dinner, I don't think it'd be right for me to stick around."

"Hey, man." Kiros steps forward and places a hand on the other's shoulder. "I didn't mean for that to happen. Please don't be angry."

"Who's angry?" The dark-haired man chuckles faintly. "I just feel bad for Raine. She seems really hurt by all this."

"Yea, she's quite a woman. She's really outspoken." Kiros laughs and spins Laguna around to face him. "She's all wrong for you."

"Kir--"

"ELLONE!"

Raine's voice cuts through the still night and earns the attention of both of the men. Without a thought, Laguna turns and runs back to the bar. He arrives just in time be bowled over by a figure fleeing from within. Blinking, he catches sight of a multi-colored uniform before the person fades into the night. A second later, Raine appears in the door.

"Raine?" Laguna quickly gets to his feet and offers the woman a concerned glance. "What happened? Who was that?"

"I don't know who the hell that was!" The woman seethes as she attempts to push past the dark haired ex-soldier; Laguna manages to restrain her, but just barely. "But he took Ellone and I'm not about to let him get away with it."

"He took Elle?" Laguna blinks over his shoulder. "Why? Why would anyone want to take her?"

"How should I know?" The woman nearly screams as she continues to try to get past the man restraining her."All I know is that I'm not going to let her be taken."

"Listen to me, Raine." Laguna takes the woman by the shoulders and peers deeply into her eyes. His face is both calm and stern as he speaks. "You can't do anything about it right now. You'll only get yourself hurt. As soon as I gather a few things, I'll go after her. I promise I'll bring her back to you."

"I'm going with you." Raine answers. "She's my responsiblity and I'm not about to let anything happen to her. I won't take no for an answer."

So saying, she shrugs his hands from her shoulders and walks back into the bar. A moment later, he follows.

-------------------------------------------

"Are you sure you want to come along?" Laguna questions Raine as they step out of the bar and back into the night. "It could get really dangerous, especially if this has to do with the War like you seem to think."

"I'm postive." The woman nods firmly and adjusts the pack upon her back. "I already told you that I'm not going to let anything happen to her and I meant it." She sighs and glances at the dark falling so thickly around the town. "Now, to figure out where they would have taken her.."

"I think I can help with that." A voice comments as Kiros falls into step beside the two. "I vaguely remember hearing something about a group of Esthar soldiers being seen near the town lines of Timber. We can probably start there."

"No. No way." Raine stops cold and turns a heated glare to the dark-skinned man. "I don't want you coming along. This is going to be difficult enough."

"Hey. I just want to help." Kiros chuckles easily and holds up both hands. "It's you're choice though. If you want to leave your little girl in the hands of those terrible soldiers so they can do lord-knows-what with her..."

"That's not funny.." Raine growls as she makes a grab for the loose fabric of the man's shirt. "..and I don't need your help. I can save Ellone on my own."

"You think so?" Kiros grins and quirks an eyebrow. "You wouldn't get past the first wave of Esthar guards. You'd be dead before you knew what was happening."

"Guys, hey!" Laguna positions himself between the two and gives Raine a pleading glance. "C'mon, Raine. He'll be of help, really. This is going to be quite an ordeal and we'll need every bit of help we can get. Please?"

"Fine." Raine sighs and turns her head aside. "You're right. This is going to be tough. But remember: I'm just doing this for Ellone. I still don't like your little...friend." Her long ebony hair flaring out, she turns and begins to walk. "So, let's go."