Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Yokan ❯ Yokan ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sephy-sama: *Steps on stage, takes deep breath* The authoress doesn't own anything here at all, let alone enough money to be sued for. We belong to Square Enix.

Cloud: O_O SQUARESOFT!

Authoress: -_-;; On with the fic…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1st Person POV

It's peaceful out tonight, for the first time in a long time. You can actually see the stars. I haven't seen the stars since I left home all those years ago, left Nibelheim to start a new life. To make them proud of me, to be noticed, to be like him. You never see the sky in Midgar; the plate is always in the way. Yet tonight, the night that I have to leave, it's there. Shinning bright and unyielding like a piece of black velvet with small diamonds flecked across it and one large diamond sitting in the center, outshining all the others. I could hardly remember what the sky looked like, yet here it is. And I have to leave it, head off into a battle that I may not even survive. I have this bad feeling… I get those sometimes… normally they're true. So I have to go see him. I have to go to him tonight, even if he doesn't know. I just need to see his beautiful face once more before I leave.

3rd person POV

The room was entirely silent, the only sound filling the thin night air being the melodious, soothed breaths of the sleeping man in the room. Two orbs of bright blue gleamed from the shadows, watching with a gentle interest as the man lay sleeping, his well-built chest rising and falling in a peaceful rhythm as he slept, unaware to the teen watching his slumber. Footsteps filled the room as the young man retreated from his dark corner. This would be the night. The night that he had the bravery to walk to his angel and see him close up for the very first time. This would be the night that he felt the man's cheek, that he ran his fingers through the tresses of silky silver hair, watching as if he were the man's guardian.

Cautiously, as not to disturb the man's sleep, the teen made his way closer to the mounds of satin sheets and pillows, steadily coming merely inches away from the bed. He knelt, eyes level to the slumbering face of the man, taking in every delicate detail of his face. His cheekbones were slightly pointed, giving the man a rough face, yet in his slumber his features appeared softened, almost glowing with the moonlight trickling in through the open bedroom window. The sheets were pulled halfway up the man's bare chest, pale skin aglow from the beams of the platinum orb, shimmering with a subtle delicacy that the youth had never seen before.

Was this man an angel?

The absurd thought came to his mind before he could stop it, yet somehow it seemed to fit. The man, the general of SOLDIER that was a ruthless killer and an expertise warrior was the angel to a youth that had no place in the world, that the world had forgotten. Lithe, shaking hands left the floor, slowly hovering above the handsome face resting against the fluffy pillows strewn about his head. Gradually, as if for a fear of being caught, the boy let his hand fall to fit the curves of the man's cheek, feeling the silky smooth skin beneath his calloused palm. He's so soft… So beautiful… Twin orbs of sapphire blue slid shut as his thumb began to gently caressed the creamy skin beneath it, tracing every curve of the supple skin, burning the image of the man's face into his mind not by sight, but by touch.

Minutes passed like this, the youth letting his hand rest on the face of his secret love, the sleeping beauty completely oblivious to his young companion. Yet as he slept a calmness overcame him, for the first time in his life, as if being in the company of the boy soothed all of his concerns, healed all of the scars that could not be healed.

But all good things come to an end.

Hesitantly the boy pulled his hand away, staggering to his feet in a drunken sort of haze. This was his chance; his chance to experience what he had thought was impossible for a social outcast such as himself. Carefully he lowered his face close to the slumbering one of his secret love, their noses almost touching at their closeness. Before he could stop he had captured the soft, thin lips before him with his own, letting his azure eyes slid shut, bringing a new feeling to the youth. The feeling was pure and innocent, something neither he nor his crush had ever had the chance to experience. Love. Pure, untainted love, a feeling that no human being could be stripped of. He loved the slumbering man with all of his broken heart.

But he had to leave.

Pulling away he gave the man a final farewell glance over his shoulder, eyes fixated on the beautiful face. Tearing his eyes away he spun on his heel, boots making no sound against the carpeted floor as he made a hasty retreat, heading out to the awaiting battle he was being sent off to. Yet something in the room had changed from the boy's visit.

A smile had spread across the sleeping man's face, for the first time in his life. A small, innocent smile, unnoticed by the one that caused it and by the one yielding it.

The first and last smile that would ever grace the man's features shone that night.

1st person POV

I knew something was different that morning. The sky had been clear when I had retired the night before, yet when I awoke a looming black cloud hung over the city, blocking out the sun. Not a cloud of pollution, like was often seen, but a rain cloud. A true, unadulterated rain cloud. And that is all that had been happening that day.

Rain.

A soft drizzle, just enough to wet the streets and the buildings and the people. But rain cannot undo what they have done. Goddamn them… Goddamn them and their wars and their need to end the lives of those that have done nothing wrong. I, despite how long I have been with them, do not know why they do it. Why they strip us of everything we own, down to our very humanity. I have nothing left now. Do they understand that? Do they know what they have done?! Did they even think what might happen to them before they sent them out? No. Not once. Not once did they think before they made an action. Not once. And he suffered for it.

I hardly even knew him, yet I loved him. Call it love at first sight maybe. Whatever the case, I was deeply and madly in love with him. He was pure, innocent, kind; everything I was not. He was beautiful and strong and righteous; everything I am not. Maybe you could call it obsession. Whatever it was, it was there, and I had never felt this way for any other human being before in my life. I had never loved like I loved him, had never dreamed like I had dreamt of him. He was my everything. If only he had known.

I never even got to meet him in person. I had only watched him from afar, wishing, hoping that he would be the one that I could trust, that maybe, by some odd chance, he would share these feelings with me. But he was stripped of that chance, and I was stripped of the privilege to have him.

3red person POV

The same cloud was hanging over the gloomy city as the general stepped out of his room groggily, a hand raised to rub the sleep from his emerald eyes. A sense of security lingered in the man from his sleep, yet he knew not of its origin. It was as if he were being watched still, even after the feeling had overcome him in his slumber. Someone had been in his room, he could feel their presence last night, feel their breath on his face. Yet he dare not awake, for fear that the fleeting angel would completely disappear from his room, leaving him broken and lonely, like he was so accustomed to. Last night, however, he had not been alone. He had the company of the one that he had the deepest feelings for, feelings he had never shared with another person in his life. He had been awake as the youth had walked to his bedside, had caught a glimpse of his handsome, worried face in the moonlight. And he had come to a decision. Rejection or not, he was going to the boy. He was going to tell him his deepest, darkest secrets that only he knew and that he dare not even whisper to another being.

Stepping off into the large, metallic room of the Shinra building the general let his eyes wander through the throngs of people gathered in huddles about the area. A noise filled the room, shaking him to his very soul as he stepped deeper inside, the hand that had been rubbing at his eyes now suspended in shock, confusion and question above his face. The noise… it didn't stop, even as he started to walk towards the president of Shinra Corporation, a small phone held to his ear.

"Yes, yes… Yes, send them in… No we aren't done, not yet… No, there are still a few to be identified… Yes, all right…. Right away…" The president pulled the phone away, pressing the minute `off' button and turning to face the man, "Ah Sephiroth, it's good to see you."

"What's… the meaning of this?" Twin orbs of lustrous jade scanned the cold room once again, taking in the scenes about him. Horrified he staggered backwards, mouth agape as the realization rang in his mind. Bodies. They were claiming bodies. "What… What… happened?"

"Ah, these are the soldiers from the mission last night. Pity, none of them survived, so we don't know what happened to them. Oh but no need to worry Sephiroth, they were just a couple of lowly foot soldiers and some First Class, not a big loss."

Not a big loss?? NOT A BIG LOSS!? THEY WERE HUMAN BEINGS LIKE YOU AND I ARE! THEY HAD A RIGHT TO LIFE, A RIGHT TO LIVE! Yet even as the general thought the bitter curse, he couldn't bring himself to say it. Gone. They were all gone. Even… No. He wasn't, he couldn't be. He just couldn't be.

"I was wondering Sephiroth, do you think you could identify any of the bodies? There are a few that don't have any family, so they just left `em sitting over there. Maybe you had one in you command before." He hesitated. There was no way he could see the boy like this, that he could bring himself to look at the face of the one that he loved more than his own life when he was dead. He just couldn't. But maybe he had survived, had found a way to escape from his untimely fate and was waiting for him elsewhere, where they could finally be happy, could finally express the feelings they held deep in their hearts.

No matter how bad he hoped, he prayed, he wished, the general knew. He knew deep down that his light was gone, that his illuminace was lying over in the small gathered pile of bodies. And as he slowly stepped closer he saw him, a matted mass of spiky golden hair making itself noticeable in the pile of blood and flesh and clothing.

Dejectedly he fell to his knees, hands quivering as he pulled the bodies away from his love, as he pulled him onto his lap, rocking his limp and bloodied form tight to his chest. He truly was gone. His mouth was dry, his heart broken as he clung to the boy, desperate for the warmth to fill his cold, stiff body once again. Gently, almost hesitantly he lowered his face to that of the boy, letting his soft, warm lips brush across the bloody forehead of the teen. Laying him down he stayed on his knees, eyes squeezed shut, holding back the burning tears, the racking sobs that threatened to join the heartbreaking chorus of family encircling him.

"So, you knew this one? What's his name so we can look up his files and notify his family." Silence, followed only by the broken sobs that the man had been fighting back. The confused gasp of President Shinra seemed only a small whisper to him, the world around him spiraling all to fast for him to grip. He was dead. He was dead. He was dead. No matter what the sentence sounded wrong, so so wrong.

In a pained daze he staggered to his feet, turning away from the body to face the president's questioning glance. Invisible tears, the tears of a fallen angel shook his form, although no liquid truly fell from his eyes; a man unable to explain his grief for his loss. "Cloud Strife. His name… was Cloud Strife."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cloud: *Comes out of no where* O_O Why'd you write that!! WHY'D I DIE! Y_Y

Authoress: Because I love you?

Cloud: -_- I hate you.

Jenova possessed Sephy-sama: *Staring blankly at page* Now review! Review mortals or I shall hunt you down myself!

Authoress: I hope you all liked it, it's actually an older fic that I fished out of my archives! Hehehe, it's my first time posting a fic online, so helpful remarks and reviews are good fuel for me! ^_^ *Holds up Sephy and Vincent plushies* Please?