Firefly/Serenity Fan Fiction ❯ Bounty Hunter to Petty Theif ❯ Bounty ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don’t own this series or the movie that came from it.

This story is written for my younger sister who is madly in lust with Jayne Cobb.

Chapter 3. Bounty.
Ana was intrigued by Inara. The two were in the kitchen together. Inara was making tea.
“So, you’re a real registered companion?”
“Yes,” Inara said. “You lived within the Alliance, didn’t you? I would have thought that you’ve seen companions before.”
“Well, my job ain’t too nice and fancy, y’know? I might’ve worked within Alliance boundaries, but I never saw a companion before. It’s an interestin’ job.”
Inara smiled, “Yes. I suppose it is. Although, not full of adventure and danger like yours.”
“I s’pose. Not like mine at all. But don’t you have your own adventures and dangers? I don’t think any job doesn’t.”
“I suppose you’re right.”
Inara was a very nice person.
“So, why’re you on this boat? You know what my brother does, right?”
“I do. I just…can’t bring myself to leave.”
“Huh.” Well that was interesting. What could make someone so high class stay on a petty thief crew’s ship? Inara served the tea and they talked a bit more. Ana noticed that when she brought up Mal, Inara would change the subject. So, it was Mal. Mal was the reason she hasn’t left.
After Inara left, Ana went to Mal’s bunk. She found him sitting on his bed looking at an old capture.
“What’s that?” She took it and saw that it was of her and Mal as kids back home. She smiled. “That’s cute.”
“Shut up,” Mal said taking it back. He put it down and Ana sat next to him.
“So, about Inara…” Ana started.
“Don’t go there,” Mal warned.
“You like her.”
“No. I don’t.”
“Whatever ya say,” she shrugged.
“Anyway, what did I see you and Jayne doin’?”
“I kissed him on the cheek. I told ‘em if he could out shoot me, then I’d kiss him. He lost, so I gave him one on the cheek.”
“Don’t get involved with him.”
She rolled her eyes, “I can take care of myself, Mal.”
“I mean it, Ana. Don’t.”
“Yeah, okay. See you,” she kissed him on the cheek like she used to when they were kids, and climbed up the ladder.
After a few hours, Serenity landed at the pickup site for the cargo.
Mal gathered everyone in the dining area, “Jayne, Zoe, and I are goin to get the crates. Ya’ll wait here and we’ll be back shortly.” The three left. Ana hung around the lounge area.
***
“C’mon, Inara,” Kaylee begged. “Let’s go out in the sun!”
Inara laughed, “Okay, okay.” The pair went out and Kaylee danced around, enjoying the sunlight. Neither of them heard the rustling bushes nearby. Neither of them saw what happened next. Several men holding weapons came out. One grabbed Kaylee and one grabbed Inara.
“Where is she?” The one holding Kaylee asked poking the barrel of his gun to her head.
“Who?” Inara asked for Kaylee. She was too scared to speak right now.
“That bounty huntin’ bitch. Dri Rey.”
“Lookin’ for me?” Ana walked out with her guns in her hands. She looked around. Five guys. One held Kaylee about 5 yards in front of her, one had Inara five steps to his left, two were a little behind them, and one was about seven or eight steps to Kaylee’s right. They all had guns, and two hostages. Great.
“Ya really are a girl,” The first guy said. “We’re here ta kill ya. You’ll be wantin ta put those guns down. ‘Less ya want me ta shoot yer friends here.”
“You wont.”
“Think I wont?” he pushed the gun into Kaylee’s temple. She was crying.
“Okay, okay,” Ana slowly bent down to put the guns on the ground. “Kaylee,” she looked up just before she touched the ground.
Kaylee looked at her through tears.
“Close your eyes.” Kaylee did. As fast as she could, she shot her guns five times. The man holding Kaylee yelled as the bullet hit his leg and fell down. Same thing happened to the other four. “Get into Serenity!” Ana yelled at Kaylee and Inara. They ran.
“Gorram bitch!” The guys were starting to raise their guns again. This time, Ana shot them in the hands. She picked up all their guns and took any weapons they had away. Then preceded to tie them up.
When she just about finished, Wash, Simon, Kaylee, and Inara came out all holding some weapon. River was close behind, weapon-less of course. They just stared.
“These guys have an okay bounty on ‘em. Not really worth all the fuss ya makin’,” Ana told them.
“What the hell is goin’ on here?” Mal yelled as he approached.
“Nothin’ I couldn’t handle, Malcolm,” Ana said. “These guys thought it’d be easy ta take me down. It’s not. We should go to the core planets an’ collect the bounty.”
“No. Leave them.”
“You know you could use the money.”
Mal hesitated.
“Sir? She’s right,” Zoe said.
“Gorrammit! I don’t like the idea of going to a core planet ta turn in criminals. We are criminals!”
“I’d like ta point out that I’m not. N’ Inara ain’t either,” Ana said. “I’ll take these clowns to the feds, you guys sit and stay in Serenity.”
Mal pointed a finger at her, “If anythin happens, you’re responsible.”
“Understood.”
They pulled the cargo onto the ship and hid it in the secret space in the cargo bay. Then they dragged the wounded guys onto the ship. Simon quickly got to work on closing the wounds.
“Ya can leave the bullets in there. Gorram scum tried ta shoot Kaylee,” Ana said.
“What? Kaylee?” Mal turned to Kaylee.
“I’m alright, Cap. If it weren’t for Ana, I’d be gone,” Kaylee told him. “Thanks,” she said to Ana.
Ana smiled, “Welcome.”
“So ya shot ‘em in the legs, while they had Kaylee and Inara? Girls ran, and then ya shot ‘em each in the hand?” Jayne asked to clarify.
“Yep. S’ how it happened,” Ana said.
Jayne hitched his pants.
The ride took a very long time. Ana didn’t leave the cargo bay once and kept her guns in her hands. She kept a close watch on the five tied up men.
“Cap!” Wash said over the intercom. “We’re almost there and the Feds at the station are waving us.”
Ana stood up, “I’ll talk to ‘em. I’ve dealt with ‘em lots. Stay here an watch these guys,” she told Zoe and Mal. Then went up to Wash.
“Did she just order me on my own boat?” Mal asked no one in particular.
“Yes, Sir. She did,” Zoe said.
Ana made sure she didn’t talk with her old accent. “Good afternoon, Lieutenant.”
“Dri Rey,” the fed said to her. “Haven’t seen you in a while.”
“I guess I’m too well known for my own good. You didn’t see that the black market has a hit on my head?”
“I did see. I thought you were dead by now. Glad to see you aren’t. What do I owe the pleasure of you landing here?”
“I’ve got some scumbags to turn over to you. Five all together. Alone the bounties aren’t good, but together, they aren’t bad.”
“I’ll have someone come out to you. See you soon.”
“Thank you. I‘ll send you their profiles so you can have the money ready.” She turned the wave off after doing just that. “Well, now we gotta get this done.”
Wash landed. Ana walked off the ship pulling out one guy at a time. Shepherd helped, since he doesn’t have a bounty.
The lieutenant and several other feds came up. “I thought you worked alone, Dri.”
“I do. He’s just tagging along. Besides, I’ve got to lay low for a while.”
“Too bad,” He handed the money over to her. “Guess I won’t see you anytime soon.”
“Guess not,” she took the bag and turned around to get back on the ship. The doors closed and everyone came out of hiding.
“You and he….?” Mal asked.
“The fact that he’s head over heals for me is good. Means he don’t give me trouble when I bring a bounty in. S’why I always come here.”
“So…ya don’t like him, right?” Jayne asked.
“Can’t stand ‘em. Annoys the piss outta me.”
“Alright, let’s get off this Alliance rock,” Mal ordered.
Chapter 3 End.
Thanks all! Review please!