InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ A Single Drop of Warmth ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-Yasha, just like I haven't owned him last chapter, or the chapter before that, or the one before that, or ::blabbers on::

Author's Note: Hey guys! And how are y'all today? Good, I hope. ^_^ TGIF and all that good stuff!

Anyway, thanks for all your prayers for Squish. It means a lot to both me and my friend. I'm glad last chapter touched many of you, as well. It's nice when we can connect with a piece of work, ne?

One: Did she find Inu-Yasha's body, too?

I seriously considered adding that- I really did. But no, it was just the rope. After all, after hearing about someone dying, I'm pretty sure the police or what not would have come in and taken the body. Remember- people lived in this house before Kag (and I mean people before Inu and Kik, too). A dead body would have been discovered before she arrived.

Two: How could he only have a rope burn on one side of his neck?

Well, when his head lolled, you know. . . he'd be rubbing the skin of one side of his neck against the rope more than the other. Most of his weight would be on one side, too. . . All his neck would have a burn, I guess, but one side more. . .

Three: Isn't that a little OOC for Inu-Yasha? He wouldn't really commit suicide. . .

He had a reason. (A good reason, too!) It'll play more into the story a bit later. ^_^ (Like my pathetic attempts at a suspenseful plot? -_-;)


I think that was just about all. . . I hope you all enjoy this chapter, too! ^_^ Fluffy fun next chappie! Something to look forward to. Oh! And I found my `theme song' for this fic. (All my fics, to me, have theme songs.

If the Slipper Fits: Why Not?

Blood and Chocolate: Haunted

I'll Remember You Forever: Unwell

A Pirate's Life For Me: A Pirate's Life For Me and Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack music

And so on and so forth. . .)

I can't wait to use it! ^_^ (T_T Still have to wait a bit, though. . .) Oh! And I have an `instrumental theme' for this one, too, so to speak. The orchestra version of- - - whoops, better not tell you yet. ^_~

Well, anybob, enjoy and please R&R!

(BTW- do you guys think I'm drawing out the romance enough or am I rushing it? In my outline it seemed a lot more drawn out then it feels like it is. . .)

~*~

*

*

*


~Fragment of Eternity~

Chapter Eleven: A Single Drop of Warmth

*

*

*

Inu-Yasha frowned in confusion, floating a few inches above the kitchen table. It was insanely dark, thanks to the storm still raging outside, and the power was still non-existent. Oh, joy. But Inu didn't really mind- it's not like he needed the light for anything. He was content just to mull things over in the shadows, like he usually did when the electricity *was* working. So really, this was just a not-so-exciting change in pace for him. Woo. Thrillsville.

He shook his head, clearing it all of stupidity- such as his current conversation with himself about thinking in the dark. How dumb was THAT topic- especially when he had more important things to ponder! Like- - - what was wrong with Kagome? All he had done was ask about the rain- really, he was surprised she answered at all! In actuality- though he did wonder- he was just fishing for some sympathy. What a better way to make her cave in during later arguments then pity points? But it hadn't worked out like he'd hoped. All she'd done was turn really- - - well, frosty.

"Keh," he huffed, eyes narrowing as he put on a high, squeaky voice in imitation of- - - well, guess. " `You are a pitied fool!' "

Feh.

Stupid gi- - -

!

"That- - -

Was pathetic."

Inu jumped slightly as he raised his head from it's resting place in his palms. Miroku was leaning against the door frame that led into the kitchen; a look of dry amusement plastered on his face. A couple of plastic bags lay at his feet, propped up against the wall. "Where you attempting to sound like Kagome or like an idiot?"

"Shut up, monk!" the spirit snapped, turning away from the man with a gravity defying twist- spinning so his back faced the male's face. "I wasn't talking to or asking you!"

"I see. So you were chatting with the voices in your head?"

"NO. I was ranting out-loud," the hanyou replied in cold tones, examining his sharp, see-through claws. "And it wasn't for your benefit, so go away."

"Hmmm," Miroku faked a look of deep thought. "No." He smiled cheerfully as the ghost snarled in his general direction. "Sorry, but it's cold out there and I want a cup of cocoa before bed."

"What were you doing on in that weather, anyway?" Inu asked, slowly turning around so he could watch the exorcist carry the bags to the counter and dump out the contents.

"Buying cocoa!" the monk chuckled, picking up a drum of hot chocolate mix and a bag of large marshmallows to show the spirit.

. . .

Inu-Yasha graced the man with an exasperated look. "You're pathetic."

"Thanks," Miroku grinned, opening the can of powdered chocolate and taking out a ceramic mug. "That means a lot, coming from you." He poured some milk into a pot and put it on the stove, turning the burners on. He then hummed quietly to himself, slowly pouring liberal (and probably unhealthy) amounts of cocoa into his cup, waiting for the liquid to heat up.

"How so?" Inu questioned, cocking an eyebrow as the man before him took out another mug, as if in after thought. "I just insulted you!"

"True," the monk agreed, opening the fluffy marshmallows with such enthusiasm that some flew from their bag and rolled away. "But you directed at me and me alone."

. . .

"You confuse me."

"It's simple," Miroku explained, popping a puffy treat into his mouth and chewing blissfully. "For the most part, you've ignored me during my entire stay at the place. Granted, it's probably because I'm being paid to get rid of you, but all the same. Now you're talking with me- insulting me- without anyone to force you to do so. We're acquaintances- I'd even go so far as to say we're friends. Which. . ." he beamed in a rather patronizing fashion, "gives me hope that you soon will be friends with another person residing in this house. A certain female. . . ?"

"Sango?"

"Guess again."

*

Kagome sat, her back to the wall, curled in a ball. Her forehead was pressed tightly to her knees as her arms squeezed her legs- which were now soaked with tears. The darkness was like a blanket, only broken by a single, half-burnt candle that was sent beside her on the attic floor. Slowly looking up, her eyesight blurry due to her tears, her stormy blue orbs fell upon the rope. The rope that simply dangled before her, almost in an inviting way.

*

The spirit snorted, gliding over to the island* and standing opposite of the monk. "Sure. And outside it's raining cats and dogs."

"I wouldn't be surprised," the male responded seriously, walking towards the now boiling milk while pulling on an oven mitt. "This is some nasty weather we're having."

"Whatever," Inu-Yasha grumbled, stretching nonchalantly.

"You know, speaking of Kagome." Miroku continued slowly, carefully pouring milk into the two cups. "I think she's pretty depressed right now. Did you hear her crying upstairs?"

The spirit's ear twitched slightly, but his face held no sign of interest or worry. "Yeah, so?"

*

She turned her face, clamping her eyes shut once again.

It was so strange. . .


She could tell herself over and over what had happened- Inu-Yasha had killed himself- but it never seemed to really register. It seemed almost like a bad dream. He may be stupid, annoying, and all out rude, but he was still a person. Why had he done that to himself? He had had reasons to live- Kikyo, for starters. Why did he do what he had to himself? She had thought he was strong- - -

But now she just thought he was a coward.

*


"I think she's worried about something- or someone." The exorcist stirred both mugs, putting as many marshmallows as he could into each. "Don't you think?"

"What makes you think I care?"

Miroku shrugged, handing the ghost one of the cups.

Inu-Yasha regarded it icily. "I can't drink, remember?"

"I assumed the thought would count for something," the monk replied indignantly. "But if you don't want it, I'm sure Kag could use something warm- - -"

"Oh, give it here," the ghost snarled, using his mental powers to yank the china away. It levitated a few inches above his hands, swirling as if being stirred by an invisible spoon.

"Now what do you saaaaay?" Miroku questioned in a sing song voice, taking a soothing sip of his own cocoa- accompanying it with a theatric `Aaaaaaah!'.

Inu glared at him. "Utter another syllable related to your previous sentence and you will be receiving a very hot shower."

. . .

"Good enough."

The ghost smirked slightly, setting the mug down with a soft `chink'. "I thought so."

*

She slowly got to her feet, bracing herself against the wall as her legs wavered beneath her. Then she turned to face the noose, biting her bottom lip. Taking a slow, trembling step forward, she carefully toddled towards the rope- the rope that was hanging in the middle of the dark, closet- like room. Reaching out with clammy palms, the girl grabbed hold of the loop, pulling herself to her full height and then to her tip toes- raising herself up just high enough to press her cheek to the lowest part of the noose.

*


"But going back to Kagome," Miroku pressed, as if they were never interrupted, "aren't you worried about her in the least? I mean, she is being kind enough to let you stay in h- er- this house."

The deceased boy glared, anger rising in his chest. "Excuse me? Were you about to say HER house?"

"Um- - - no?"

"Good answer."

"But all the same- - -!"

Inu-Yasha's eyebrows ticked.


"Why are you continually brining the conversation back to that wench?!" he snarled, irritation climbing all the way up to the tips of his white ears. "I don't want to talk about her!"

"Ah! Because, secretly, you already care so much for her you're harvesting deep, uncontrollable urges and wish to tell her, but can't and won't because of current confrontation?" Miroku tried eagerly.

"Nooooo," the hanyou replied slowly, as if talking to a moron. "BECAUSE I HATE HER!"

The monk blinked. "Oh."

"I can't STAND her!" Inu continued, now on a roll. "I despise her, even! She's always so perky! And she acts so stupid! She has got to be, hands down, the most annoying person I have ever me- - - "

!!!!

*

And then she wrapped her arms around it, allowing a single tear to splatter against its worn threads.

*

Inu-Yasha's eyes widened slightly as his hand instinctively moved to wipe away a single drop of warmth on his neck away. Irritating little thin- - - Wait a minute- - -

Warmth- - - ?!

He tried to feel it again- to really figure out if it was warmth or just an illusion of sorts- but the sensation was gone as quickly as it had come.

He slowly lowered his hand, looking down at his fingertips in mild confusion.

"Inu-Yasha. . . ?" Miroku's voice broke though his thoughts. "Inu-Yasha, are you even listening to me anymore? You may hate Kagome and all, but she sure seems to like you. Why else would she be spending her time in the attic?"

The boy's head snapped up, eyes instantly aflame. "She's in the attic?!"


The monk blinked once more. "Well, yeah. . . ? Huh? Where are you going- - -?!"

But by the time the words had left his lips, the ghost was already gone. The exorcist said nothing for a moment, then silently decided that saying what he had probably wasn't the best idea.

Nope.

Probably not.


*

"And WHAT THE HELL do you think YOU'RE DOING?!"

The booming bark echoed through the house, drowning out even the loud claps of thunder outside. Kagome yelped, instantly falling to her knees and releasing the rope in shock. Turning quickly, her heart stopped. Inu-Yasha.

And he was the angriest she had ever seen.

His eyes flashed crimson red as they caught the light of the candle- the candle he blew out of commission with a sweep of his arm and a bit of mind power. His snarls ricochet off the walls of the attic, frightening Kagome more than she wanted to admit.

"What are you doing up here?!" he hissed dangerously, his voice so soft and near her ear that the girl felt her spine tingle.

"I was simply seeing what there was to see!" Kag retorted coldly, though inside she was shaking. How was he going to react? He must know she knew. . . Perhaps that was why he was so mad? Or maybe it was because she was prying into his life- his old things? Now that she thought about it, someone doing that to *her* wouldn't go over well. . . Was she being inconsiderate to his feelings?

No. . . He was the one being inconsiderate. At least, that was what she decided when she felt an unknown force lift her up, slamming her on top of that stool- the one that had rolled into the corner years ago- with so much force that her knees buckled. Shaking slightly, she realized how close she was to the loop- as if she was about to be hung herself- - -!

"Is this what you wanted to see?!" he snarled, his voice circling her like an unseen vulture. "Did you want to see where I died? How?! WERE YOU?!"

"I-!"

"WELL, HERE IT IS!" he cried over her, anger positively radiating from his very being. "Feast your eyes upon it! YES! I killed myself! Is that why you refused to look at me earlier?! Keh. YOU'RE the FOOL! It's not like it's any NEWS to me! After all- I've had FIFTY YEARS to absorb that fact! Yes! I committed suicide! You know that's against the law? But what are they gonna do to me? Throw me in jail?!" He laughed bitterly, sending chills down the girl's spine.

"Inu-Yasha. . ." she whispered, voice cracking. This wasn't the hanyou she was used to yelling at her. There was something different about him, right now. Like he was wearing a mask. . . or something. Some sort of emotion was being hidden within him- bottled up. . .

"Don't talk to me!" he snapped, knocking the chair out from underneath her and allowing the girl to fall to the floor with a loud THUMP. "Don't! Go to your room or something! Just stay out of the attic! I don't want to hear you've been up here ever again! EVER! Do you understand?! DO YOU?!"

But no one answered.

She was already gone.

. . .

And so he allowed himself to lean against the wall and hide his eyes, contemplating his stupidity.

*

11:00 PM.

~Dear Diary,

Inu-Yasha and I had such a great day today! He took me out on a picnic and fed me grapes. It was so funny! After that we went on a boat ride and watched the sun set. When we got off on the dock I almost tripped, but he caught me and gave me a hug. It was definitely worth the stubbed toe!~

Kagome wiped her eyes, trying not to let her tears fall on the diary and smudge the ink.

~Dear Diary,

Not much happened today. I went into town to pick up some groceries and chat with Kaede. We bought some ice cream and walked around the park. Inu-Yasha couldn't come with us because he had to go into the studio, but my sister and I had fun anyway. Oh! I met some new friends as well- Kaede introduced me to her buddy Nazuna and Nazuna's elder brother Naraku. They seemed nice. Anyway, Inu-chan wants to take me to a movie, so I better wrap this up!~

~Dear Diary,

The movie yesterday was fun! Inu-Yasha took me to see the romance comedy I'd been dying to view for ages- despite the fact that I think he slept though most of it. Either that or spent the time flicking popcorn at the people sitting in front of us. He's so cute.


More later!~

~Dear Diary,

Inu-chan had to go into work again today, so I went out with Kaede again. It's nice to have some sister-bonding time and to get to know her friends.~

~Dear Diary,

Sorry these entries have been so short lately. I've been having such a good time with Inu-Yasha and my sister; I can barely find time to write! Inu took me to the beach today, and let's just say we got really wet. He kept dunking me, and I splashing him! Kaede came with us, too. It was so fun to watch him and my sister build sand castles. He's so good with kids- when he puts his mind to it. (Some of the time I don't think he wants to, though. Put his mind to it, that is. Oh well!)~

Kag sighed, closing the journal. This wasn't helping- she wasn't finding anything. Heck, even if she was, she doubted she would care. She really didn't feel like reading tonight. She didn't need to be reminded of Inu-Yasha or her incarnation- they were already on her mind too often as it was. Besides, she had assignment and homework to do! School was much more important.

Her eyes fell on the clock.

12:34 AM.

. . .

Well. . .

Sleep ranked number one over all of those things.

Yawning in conferment, the girl flopped back against her pillows, flicking off the lights. As she lay in the darkness, eyes slowly fluttering shut, she sighed.

`Inu-Yasha. . .

What's wrong with you. . . ?'

With that final thought, she fell into a deep slumber.

*

1:47 AM.

She was certainly an odd sleeper.

He exhaled softly as he watched the girl snore softly; limbs sprawled all over the bed as her hair tickled her cheeks; falling in front of her face.

"I hate you so much. . ." he grumbled, hovering near the head of her bed, eyes narrowed in intense dislike. "Why do you make me think? Make me question myself? Make me talk to myself?! You're asleep! You can't hear me! And yet here I sit, still yammering on and almost apologizing for being so- so- so MEAN to you in the attic, like Sango told me to. Let me emphasize the key word, though: ALMOST. `Cause you know what? I'm NOT sorry! You shouldn't have been sneaking around up there, anyway! So there!"

He nodded once, sniffing disdainfully while a lock of Kag's hair fluttered as she exhaled.

"And another thing," he continued, not seeming to notice as his hand began to reach out and brush that strand aw- - - !

He instinctively snapped his hand back before it could touch her. "You should know better then to burn candles on a wooden floor! It'll catch fire and kill you. Wait- - - never mind. Keep burning those candles!" He snickered slightly, pushing away unwanted feelings, feelings such as guilt and depression, confusion. Guilt for killing himself, for yelling at Kikyo- heck, even a little guilt for yelling at HER. . . depression at his fate. . .

Confusion over. . .

His hand moved to touch the back of his neck one more time, eyes upon Kag's sleeping form.

. . .

Then he turned away and glided out the door.

~*~

Hope you enjoyed! ^_^ Please R&R!

Ja ne!

*I don't know how many of you are aware, but the counter top that some people have in the middle of their kitchen- the one that's not connected to any other counters- that's called an `island'.