Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ever Needed ❯ Anytime You Need Me ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: Anytime You Need Me
*************
Baby, take all of your fears; cast them all on me
`Cause all I ever wanted was just to make you see
That I could be the one to give you all that you've been searching for
Just hold on to my love and, baby, let me give you more
*************
-Anytime You Need Me
By: Kelly Clarkson
 
Yuki sat in his room. Fretting. Of course he was fretting. Fretting was what he did best. He was the Prince of fretting…the Fretting Prince. He sighed. The room was so empty and quiet and dark…black…black paint, black soul, black words… Oh, god, no!
Yuki put his hands to his head, trying to clear it of the painful flashbacks. Just then, the phone rang. Yuki jumped, then sighed. He was wound too tight. He raced down stairs and picked up the phone before the answering machine could. Who would be calling at this time of night.
“Hello?” he said a bit breathless.
“Yuki?” The voice at the other end sounded worried.
“Oh, hello Kagura. What's wrong?”
“Hatori just called me. I was worried. What's happening? What's wrong with her? Is she all right? Is she—”
“Calm down, Kagura,” Yuki said, cutting her off. “Ms. Honda is asleep in bed right now. Kyo is watching her just to be safe. Ms. Honda has pneumonia, but Hatori gave us some medicine. He says with plenty of bed rest and lots of soup, plus the medicine, she should be fine.”
“Oh, thank goodness,” Kagura's sigh came in a burst of static over the phone.
“Kagura?” Yuki asked.
“Yeah?”
“Uh…” he hesitated. “I was…having flashbacks…”
“Oh, Yuki, it's okay!” He could hear her voice increase peppiness in an attempt to cheer him up. “I'm mentally giving you a big hug right now.” Yuki smiled in spite of himself.
“Thanks, Kagura.”
“It'll all work out fine, Yuki. Kyo and Tohru and Shii-chan are there with you. And I'm there with you…well not technically, since I'm over here at my house. Well, I was alone too, but now I'm not…and I guess you're here with me too. Is this what they consider being in two places at onc—”
“You're alone?” Yuki asked, stopping her rambling.
“Yeah. Momma is spending the night at her friends house…you know a sort of girl's night out. So it's just me, since Rin moved to Shishou's—”
“Rin moved to Shishou's?” Yuki asked, shocked.
“Yeah. Rin came back with to stay with us for a week. Haru came over to talk to me about some stuff, but I needed to finish clearing the table—it was just after dinner—so he talked to Rin for a while. Then, after he left, she suddenly said she wanted to go stay at the dojo for a while. Haru must be behind it.” Yuki smiled faintly.
“Haru knows Rin's better off the farther away from the main house she is.”
“Well, I still can't believe they're together…it shocked me so much when I first found out. Well, I guess it makes sense. They were so close as kids, and they're interested in the same stuff, and they even wear the same kind of clothes.” Kagura mused
“But Haru is…Haru, and Rin can be vicious sometimes. I'm worried about him.” Yuki fretted…again with the fretting.
“I'm not. I bet Haru could take her.” Yuki actually laughed at the image coming to his mind. “I knew I could make you laugh,” she sighed, “you're a good kid, Yuki. You just need to look at yourself sometimes.” He smiled.
“Thanks, Kagura.”
“Anytime you need me,” she said with a smile in her voice as she hung up with a click.
* * *
 
“Rin? Rin, lovely girl, wake up…” I hear a voice whisper in my ear.
“Haru?”
“That's right. Wake up, Rin.” Blackness surrounds me. Black murky water drowning me. I try to scream but no one hears.
“HELP ME!!” I scream.
“Rin…Rin…its okay…it's all just a dream…” I hear a voice whisper and feel strong arms around me and the water disappears and I can breathe again. Haru walks out of the darkness, his arms open.
“Haru!” I cry and run to him, hugging him with all my might. I can feel his strong frame in my arms and I feel safe. Then something wet trickles down my hand. I pull back…and blood stains Haru's shirt. I look up into his eyes.
“You've been a very bad girl, Rin.” A toneless voice that resembles Haru's escapes the bleeding Haru's mouth
“NO! Haru! No!” I cry as he collapses.
“I'm right here, Rin,” a voice echoes in the darkness above. But Haru does not move…a pool of blood forms around his motionless body.
“No! Haru, don't leave me! Don't leave me!” I sob. “Oh god, don't leave! I can't live without you! God, please no.”
“Rin…Rin, it's all just a dream. Come back to me, Rin.” I ignore the voice.
“NO!!” I scream with all my might. “NO!” I feel hands on my shoulders, shaking me and…
 
“Rin!” She opened her eyes to find Haru's eyes staring back. She was in bed…at Kazuma's dojo. Haru was right next to her, holding her in his arms. She shivered as the cold sweat of her nightmares registered. Haru pulled her close and hugged her until she stopped sobbing. “It was all just a dream,” he whispers like a chant, over and over again in her ear, “It was all just a dream.”
The door swung open, and Kunimitsu stood in the doorway with a panicked expression.
“Is everything all right?” he panted, a little breathless. Rin glared at him over Haru's shoulder, her face assuming the “get the hell away from me” expression. Haru glanced back at him.
“No. We're fine.” Kunimitsu lingered a moment, then shrugged, turned and headed down the hallway, shutting the door behind him.
“Haru…what the hell are you doing here?” Rin demanded.
“Does it matter?” His face quirked up into a smile that warmed her heart, though she let no emotion leak though the mask she'd put back up.
“I guess not,” she muttered.
“Admit it,” he said, still smiling, “you're glad to see me.”
“Am not,” she countered.
“Come on, lovely girl,” he prompted, fingering a piece of her hair, “a simple thank you too much to ask?” He smiled and she felt her heart soar.
“Thanks,” she muttered.
“You're welcome,” he replied. She lay back down, exhausted.
“I think I'm going to try to go back to sleep. I'm so tired.” She gave him a sideways look.
“Then I'd best be going,” Haru said, getting up from the bed. In a reflex motion, she grabbed a fistful of his shirt. He wheeled around, and, seeing the unconscious fear in her eyes, he sighed, and lay back down next to her. Soon enough she was asleep. She had always been able to sleep better by him. He wrapped his arms around her.
“Mmm…thanks…” Rin whispered in her sleep. Haru smiled and leaned down and kissed her sleeping face.
“Anytime you need me.”
 
End of Chapter 10:
“Anytime You Need Me”
A/n: Like I said last chapter, this chapter (the Rin/Haru part) was originally part of chapter 9, but it seemed like a separate idea, so I split it into its own chapter. But then it seemed a little bare, so I added the part about Yuki getting the phone call from Kagura. And, see, just as I promised, the Kunimitsu plot line crossed with the Rin/Haru plot. So now I have to connect the Tohru/Kyo and Rin/Haru-Kunimitsu line. He hee, read the next chapter to find out how I do it *evil grin*
--------------------------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!