Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Custody ❯ Graduating ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Momiji adjusted the tie in front of the mirror before putting on the jacket of the black suit he would be wearing. Today, he graduated from college with a degree in Business Administration. It was bound to be a long day. After the official ceremony they had to stay for the picture taking, the final goodbyes, the good wishes and the promise-to-call-you-soon exchanges. Then, they had a party to go to. Being his happy self, the prospect of a party gained over the tiresome activities that were to precede it.
 
He felt content. He graduated on top of his class (`well, who could've imagined', was Haru's comment upon the announcement), he was a popular guy thanks to his easygoing, friendly nature and he would be graduating along with his best friend in the whole world: Honda Tohru.
 
Tohru didn't get into college right after high school, since her plan was to work to be able to support herself and move out of the Souma's. Kyo, Yuki and Momiji convinced her to get in a year later, in time to be in the same class as Momiji and Haru. Tohru got a part-time job in one of the Souma companies as Ritsu's assistant, who had surprised everyone with his natural talent for business. With Tohru's support, he had become a bold man with a confident demeanor and firm voice. He was unrecognizable now in his tailored suits, though he kept the long mane just like Ayame. After college, Kyo began to get ready to take over Kazuma's dojo and Yuki started his career as an architect. Tohru hadn't left Shigure's house yet, and Momiji had the feeling that his cousins would be finally making a move on Tohru one of those days now that she was out of college herself. He hoped that the love triangle had a happy ending. As for Haru, well, he ran away and married Rin during their second year, and by the time they came back it was already too late for him to go back to school and make up for the missing time. He would be graduating next fall. The rest had gone on with their lives as well.
 
The shadow of the curse had been lifted. They had never been happier.
 
***************
 
After the ceremony, Momiji and Tohru found themselves surrounded by their friends and family. Tohru received hugs from everyone, while Momiji, out of habit, just greeted them with a nod, a bow or an occasional handshake. Their smiles and enthusiasm were contagious. When everybody began to get out of the building, Momiji took a second to look behind looking for someone. He felt like he was being watched. It was an unsettling feeling, but he snapped back to reality when Hatori put a hand on his shoulder to make him walk forward.
 
-`Of course they didn't come' -he thought. Putting the happy mask back on, he lost himself in the conversation with everybody else with wistful eyes and a fake grin.
 
Back in his house, the echo of the phone ringing filled the empty place.