Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Custody ❯ Of violins and pink shirts ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Momiji stood still in the living room for a few more minutes after the girl left. He was still amazed that she figured out the truth so quickly. For a moment he panicked at the thought that she might tell Momo, but he had the feeling that whenever that happened he would already be far away from them. He was safe for now.
 
He eyed the violin case again, and smiled at the memory of the time when he used to play too. He had to quit, even against his will, seeing as to how he didn't have enough time left after he started working and going to college at the same time. Tohru had been the one most disappointed. She used to enjoy just sitting in the garden outside his house as he practiced. He loved music. The feelings that he kept guarded all the time came out unbridled while he played. It was his only means of release. Once he quit his music, everything else started to change as well.
 
He honestly didn't remember how it came to be, but he distinctly recalled the morning when he realized that he didn't have a pink shirt anymore… or red, or green, or even blue for that matter. His clothes were all an array of navy, white, black and all possible shades of grey. The scary thing was, he realized now, that back then he didn't care. He had just shrugged off the fact and closed his closet's doors indifferently.
 
The day he was told that he had to start working at one of the companies that the family owned, he knew two things for sure: that it was the end of his life as knew it and that he had no way to refuse. Being his adaptable self, he soon felt at ease in the business world, thanks to his natural ability to do business and mainly because of Ritsu and Tohru. Rit-chan had been his mentor and Tohru had been his greatest supporter. Whenever he felt that the pressure was just too much for him to handle, Tohru appeared by his side and drove all his worries away. At first he resented his father for making him the administrator of his fortune, thus pushing him into a world that he didn't like. Over time, his opinion changed. At present he felt that it was just the way things should be, and that he should feel flattered that his father had so much faith in his abilities.
 
He should, but still he found himself wondering from time to time what it could've been like to be a musician, to be able to express his feelings through music.
 
He now wondered where all of his pink shirts and his violin had gone.
 
And there it was: Momo's violin. He refused to think about how she was encouraged to play whereas he was ordered to quit.
 
There was nobody home. No one would ever know.
 
He reverently opened the case to find the instrument resting silently in there. The feel of the cool wood on his fingertips made a rush of excitement run through him. He closed his eyes and smiled wistfully. He took the violin in his hands, denying himself a doubtful thought. After all the turmoil and heartache of the past days, he needed back his music.
 
He hadn't played for so long that it took him sometime to get used to the feeling of the instrument against his body. He had to adjust the position several times until he recognized the right spot where it should be. The first few notes came out off key, but after a few tries, the music started to flow smoothly.
 
Momiji played a piece that he knew by heart, surprising himself by the fact that he remembered it so well, even if he couldn't name the notes now.
 
He took the opportunity to analyze his situation once again, only this time he had the peace of mind that he didn't have before.
 
`Momo doesn't want to go with me. My home is not her home; it's never been and deep down, I always knew. The truth is that as much as I love my sister, I couldn't be her older brother for real before, and now I'll never be. I can't take away the memory of her parents from her. Everything is just the way it should be. It doesn't matter if it's fair or not anymore. I didn't know it back when I agreed to be separated from my family, but this is a consequence of that. I just have to keep on living with my decision.'
 
He finished the piece. The house was silent once again. The sad smile was still on his face, but he felt calm and resigned now. He only had three more days left, or rather, two and a half. He decided to enjoy every minute of them before he left for good.
 
Momo stood on at the door with her grandmother, the keys of the house still in her hand. They came in the middle of the piece, and found themselves rooted mutely to the spot while he played. Even being her oblivious self, she was a musician too, and Momo recognized the pure sadness behind the music. Momiji stood there in the living room with his eyes closed and a calm face that contrasted with the emotions he poured into each and every note.
 
Momo didn't know how, but she recognized it as his way of saying goodbye. He was letting go of something, and it broke her heart.