Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Cycle: King of the Sea ❯ Wedded Bliss ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If I were the amazing glorious writer of Furuba, I would be more consistent with my releases X_x
 
 
Children dear, was it yesterday
(Call yet once)
That she went away?
The Forsaken Merman -Matthew Arnold
 
 
Grey stucko ceiling.
 
My eyes traced the pattern of the swirls as they crossed the edge of the ceiling and fell down the walls into white.
 
White walls.
 
The white walls flowed on in an endless plane broken only by a curtain. A polka dot curtain of green and pink.
 
Weird.
 
Wonder where I am now…. I thought and blinked at the ceiling.
 
A sharp intake of from my right and the clatter of something on tile floor. I tried to turn my head to follow the sound, but it pulled on a tube connected to a mask that was covering my mouth. How did that get there? I squinted at it. Well, it might be doing something important so I left it. Besides, I didn't really feel like moving anything.
I wonder how much electricity those lights use?...
 
“Haru?” A white coat leaned over me. Pewter grey hair and startling amethyst eyes.
 
Yuki.
 
Yuki frowning, his eyes made even larger by the dark circles under them.
 
Instinctively, I tried to say something to shake off whatever had him worried, but it was awkward under the oxygen mask and nothing really came out. Why was I wearing one anyway?
 
His hand rested lightly on my shoulder. “Haru…do you know who I am?” Now, I frowned to match his and nodded perhaps too emphatically. Something sticky pulled hard on my neck. That pulled on a memory, maybe something about Yuki. Yeah…about Yuki. Yuki wasn't supposed to be here. He was supposed to be in some hospital on the other side of Japan. Well… this was a hospital so maybe that still counted. Were we on the other side of Japan?
 
My head felt like Kyo had slammed me into a solid brick wall—still ringing with the blow. Or maybe like I was being held under water. Well, maybe it didn't matter all that much if I figured it out… did it? I shifted uneasily.
 
“Haru, you are all right now.” I don't really feel alright, Yuki. “Don't worry.” Why would I be worried? I'm just stuck full of more tubes and needles then Frankenstein. “Just relax.” You doctors say a lot of funny things, you know. “You were mugged.” Really? So that's how I got here. Huh, you'd think I'd remember something important like that. “I'm going to make a quick call and tell the others all right?” I nodded. Sure why not? Why not have all the family whisper nervously around me, sounds fun? He stepped out into the hallway.
 
I stared at the ceiling considering but not really getting anywhere. Why was Yuki trying so hard to soothe me? He knew I didn't really need it particularly. And why did doctors say such inane things to people like “don't worry” when they're stuck full of tubes? And why do doctors always wear white? And why are nurse costumes so popular in Aya-nii's shop if they're just boring and white? Wonder what Rin would look like in a nurses outfit?
The name registered.
I gasped as if struck.
 
What gave you license to pry into my personal affairs?
 
Pry? I just picked up the phone. They're the ones who told me. I didn't know you'd care.
 
Well I do. And it was none of your business…
 
Rin, it would involve me too.
 
Not necessarily.
 
I tried to put my hands over my eyes to block the memories. But they just kept coming.
 
I'm not talking about this with you anymore. We're done. *crash
 
What do you mean done?! You think I'd let you! Its…
 
Not your business. Just drop it.
 
No. I won't. We talk now.
 
Let go of me, Haru. I have work. I am not an animal to be ordered. And you are not my master. You do not “let” me do anything. I make my own choices. Now, let go.
 
We will talk later.
 
But later never came.
 
.
The beeping on the heart rate monitor skyrocketed. My hands are shaking under the sheet. What am I doing wasting time in a hospital when Rin is out there with… I couldn't even finish the thought. I need to find her. Now.
 
I ripped at tubes.
 
I never knew how much tape a hospital uses to keep tubes and needles in place. I never knew how many they stuck in you. I never knew how much it hurt to pull them out.