Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Divine Intervention ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sadly, I do not own Fruits Basket.

A/N: The story is set after the anime and the latest manga. I am going on the fact that the Tohru/ Akito scene at the end of the anime never happened, because that was not in the manga. Also, although this chapter is happy and fun, it will get much more dramatic later, so keep reading. Enjoy!

----------------------

Chapter 1:

Tohru placed the last set of chopsticks on the table when she heard Shigure enter the front door. "Oh, good," she exclaimed, beaming. "Shigure-san, you?re just in time for dinner. How was your visit with Hatori-san?"

Shigure removed his shoes and made his way to stand in front of Tohru. "Fine, fine. Actually, I have some excellent news for you. Apparently, in an effort to make sure Kyou and Yuki show up this year to the New Year?s celebration, Akito-san has agreed to let you accompany us to the main house."

Immediately blushing, Tohru put up her hands defensively. "No, no, no. I don?t want to trouble anyone. I?ll be fine this year, I promise."

"Tohru, you know you?re no trouble at all," began Shigure, raising a hand to her shoulder, when Yuki and Kyou entered the room.

"Is there a problem, Honda-san?"

"What did that Dog say this time?"

Before Tohru could answer, Shigure turned to face the boys. His serious expression seemed out of place. "I was discussing our plans to go to the Honke on New Years."

"I?m not going," the boys said in unison.

"I?m afraid that?s going to be impossible. Akito-san made it clear that there would be?harsh?consequences if you two failed to show up a third year in a row. Tohru-kun has been invited, as well. Akito-san would really be upset if she didn?t show up," Shigure responded, flicking his eyes towards Tohru meaningfully.

Both Yuki and Kyou had received serious reprimand from Akito after the second missed New Years. The thought of such a beating made the boys wary of skipping again, but thinking of Tohru alone was worse. However, the indication that something might happen to Tohru if she didn?t go with them to Sohma house made up their minds.

"Fine, I?ll go," in unison again.

"Excellent. Then it?s settled," said Shigure, dropping into his seat at the table.

Tohru stood dumbfounded for a minute before realizing there was no food on the table. "Sorry," she blurted out, running to the kitchen. Her mind was going in a hundred different directions at once. ?Why did Akito-san suddenly change his mind? What would happen to Kyo-kun and Yuki-kun if they didn?t go? What would happen to me?? Her thoughts got bleaker and more confused as she set the rice on the table.

Yuki noticed her distracted expression and smiled. "Don?t worry, Honda-san, we won?t allow anything to happen to you."

"Yeah. We?ll make sure Akito doesn?t get anywhere near you," added Kyou. His tone was angry, but Tohru could hear the concern. She giggled when she realized that he was so worried that he actually agreed to do work with Yuki.

"Oi, what are you laughing at?" yelled Kyou, frowning.

"I'm sorry, Kyou-kun. You just agreed with Yuki-kun, that?s all. Please, don?t worry about me. I?m sure I?ll be fine." Tohru looked back and forth between the two boys, who were scowling at each other.

"Baka neko."

"Kuso nezumi."

Tohru giggled again and went to get the rest of dinner.

----------------------------

"New Years arrived in no time," Tohru thought aloud. She took the teapot off the stove and poured a cup for herself. "I?m so excited to see the wonderful Sohma decorations."

"I don?t think they?re as great as you think they are." Kyou?s voice made Tohru start. Turning around, she found the Cat standing next to the refrigerator, milk carton in hand.

"Kyou-kun! I didn?t know you were there. Aren?t you happy for New Years?" questioned Tohru.

"Not really. Lots of loud music and obnoxious brats like Momiji and Hiro. Not exactly my idea of a good time."

Tohru just smiled. "Well, I think it sounds like fun."

"Whatever. Just typical junk like anybody else?s party. Except for the Zodiac Banquet, of course," he added with scorn.

Tohru?s look changed from giddy to quizzical. "Kyou-kun?what exactly happens during the Zodiac Banquet?" She abruptly realized that was a bad topic to bring up in front of the excluded Cat. "I mean, what does everyone else do meanwhile?"

"I really have no idea what goes on during the stupid thing. Shigure said something about the year?s animal dancing. I guess that means it?s Ayame?s turn. Probably Akito lectures them all for hours about how much they should worship him. As for everyone else, they either don?t know about it or pretend not to. Usually, it happens during the End-of-the-Year-Bells and fireworks, so no one really notices that they?re gone."

Tohru?s expression was positively ecstatic. "You mean there is a fireworks display!? How delightful! I can?t wait!"

"Uh, yeah." Kyou brightened. "Actually, I like to watch the fireworks from the roof of my old house. Um?since you?um?can?t go to the Banquet, either, maybe you could, you know, watch them with me," Kyou mumbled, face downcast.

Tohru?s excitement reached a boiling point. She forgot herself completely and threw her arms around Kyou. "Kyou-kun, I?d love to!" she got out before he transformed in her embrace. Kyou looked up at Tohru?s grin and was thankful that she couldn?t tell how much he was blushing in his cat form. She picked up her tea and hummed her way out of the kitchen, allowing him privacy for when he changed back.

------------------------------

Yuki headed down the stairs and found himself facing Tohru, who was still humming, tea in hand. He smiled. "Good afternoon, Honda-san. Getting ready for New Years?"

"Oh, yes," answered Tohru. "I was just going to finish cleaning up so I could go get some New Years soba noodles at the store for lunch."

"Mmm. That sounds delicious. Let me help you carry your groceries."

"It?s okay, Sohma-kun. I don?t want to bother you. It?s only soba. Not heavy!"

Yuki?s smile broadened. "No, please. I have nothing else to do and besides, I want to go with you. Maybe we can check on the secret base on the way to the store, since we?ll be away for three days."

"Well in that case, all right. I don?t want the strawberries to die while we?re gone." Tohru raised an arm in triumph. "We must secure the base!" She smiled happily as she went to finish her cleaning. After laundry, dishes, and mopping, she went to find Yuki in his room. "All ready," she called to him.

Yuki put down his book and headed to the base with Tohru. The two sat down and carefully checked on all the plants.

"Well, everything looks okay. The radishes could use some water, maybe." Yuki sat back on his heels and sighed, brushing dirt off his hands.

"Right," Tohru said, jumping to her feet. She grabbed the watering can and handed it to Yuki, who had a much greener thumb than she did. After drowning two sets of cucumber and some daikon, she pretty much let him do all the watering. Yuki watered the radishes and stood up.

"Well, I guess that?s it. Hopefully it won?t get too cold before we come back." Yuki shrugged his shoulders and the pair left to go to the store.

On the way back to the house, Yuki started to tell Tohru about the Sohma New Years. "First, there?ll be lots of feasting and dancing, then kites. It?s actually quite fun. The best part is the fireworks. During the Jyuunishi Banquet we watch them from the window."

"Yes, Kyou-kun invited me to watch them with him," Tohru responded. "I can?t wait!"

?Baka neko,? thought Yuki. His smile faltered for a second but he forced himself to replace it. "Yes, well, I would have liked that if not for the Banquet. Your company is much preferable to listening to Akito?s lectures about how much we should respect him."

Tohru laughed to herself, thinking of Kyou?s earlier comment. The two rivals were much different, and yet so similar. She still had hope that they could be friends someday. Of course, the image of them standing face to face in the sunset, pledging to be best friends, was still pretty scary? Maybe something in between?.

Tohru snapped out of her daydream and looked up at Yuki. "Sorry, Yuki-kun. I was being spacey. What was that again?"

"That?s okay, Honda-san. I invited you to go on a walk around my favorite garden tomorrow."

"Yes, that would be nice!" Tohru exclaimed.

"Okay, it?s a date. We?ll make sure and go when everyone is at the main house mingling. That way it will be just you and me."

----------------------------

After finishing the soba and locking up the house, the small group was on its way to the Honke. Shigure?s voice began to grate on Kyou and Yuki?s nerves after a short time, but Tohru seemed to enjoy his prattling, so they kept quiet.

"?. Anyway, so last week I actually convinced Mit-chan that I had changed my non-fiction work about the life of a high school girl into a hot romance novel. I think I almost gave her a heart attack, poor thing. She should know by now that I live to terrify her." He guffawed at his own cunning.

Tohru just responded with her "uneasy laugh." ?Shigure-san should really be more careful with Mit-san?s health. I?m not sure if she can handle much more of that,? she thought.

"Shigure, you should really be kinder to Mit-san. I don?t know how you found someone who tolerates your behavior," Yuki interjected, voicing Tohru?s concerns.

"Have you seen her?" muttered Kyou. "She?s as insane as he is."

Shigure simply ignored their criticisms. "Ah, we?re here," he said, changing the subject.

Tohru walked through the kudomatsu-adorned gate and into the grandest festivity she had ever seen. ?There are so many Sohma?s,? she thought. ?I didn?t realize before.? People filled every square foot of the immense plaza. Tohru stood in awe of the activity: Music, dancing, feasting, and kite-flying. Suddenly, a blonde boy popped up in front of her face.

"Tohru-mutti!!!" shouted Momiji. "I?m so glad to see you. Isn?t this great? I can?t wait to show you around and introduce you to everyone."

"Happy New Years, Momiji-kun!" grinned Tohru. "This is so overwhelming."

"Oneechan!" Kisa ran up and hugged Tohru. Hiro appeared behind her. His arms were crossed and he faced away with a sneer. "Dumb chick," he grumbled.

Kyou grabbed his collar and hoisted him into the air. "Hey, you little brat. Watch your mouth."

Hiro wriggled out of Kyou?s grip and smirked. "Did I insult your idiot girlfriend?" Kyou raised his fist threateningly and was going to show Hiro who was in charge when he someone grabbed his wrist from behind.

"Hiro, shut your mouth," said Hatsuharu. "And Kyou, are you really going to beat up a little kid?" Kyou relaxed in Haru?s grasp, so he let go. "I wasn?t sure you guys were going to show up."

"Akito-san invited Tohru-kun to come along," Shigure answered.

"I see," the Cow said, looking at Tohru. "I guess you can?t refuse that offer."

"Haru," Yuki interrupted. "I heard Rin was doing better. Is she around?"

"Yeah, I?m going to find her before the Banquet. Wanna come?"

Yuki nodded. "Honda-san, if I don?t see you later on tonight, I?ll find you in the morning."

Tohru smiled in response. "Okay, have fun!"

Kyou glared after Yuki. ?What was that about?? he wondered. His thought were cut off by an excruciatingly loud "Gure-san!!!"

"Aya!" Shigure called back. "My, my. What a wonderful costume." Ayame had left no holds barred in designing his special attire for the dance.

"Mine-chan helped me. Isn?t it spectacular? I made it with you in mind, Gure-san." His voiced slipped into the flirtatious tone the others knew too well. "I may need your help getting out of it later."

"Aya, not in this innocent company," Shigure answered in the same tone.

"Perverts!" yelled Kyou, furious.

"Good evening, Kyonkichi. Would you like to sleep in my bed tonight, to repay your generosity last time I stayed over?" Ayame winked.

"I?d rather eat leeks!" Kyou responded.

Ayame just laughed in his haughty manner. "Where is my dear younger brother?"

"He went with Hatsuharu-kun to find Isuzu-san," Tohru piped up.

"Oh, well. I?ll talk to him at the Banquet. Come, Gure-san, let?s go find Tori-san." Ayame skipped off laughing, pulling Shigure along. Shigure just waved back at them.

"Geez! I thought my ears were gonna start bleeding," complained Kyou. He looked over at Tohru. "Wanna go find some food?"

"Oh, yes, Kyou-kun," Tohru said, smiling.

"I guess we should go to the Banquet," Momiji told Tohru. "We?ll see you later." Kisa hugged Tohru again and ran after Momiji, Hiro silently following.

"C?mon," Kyou said. He and Tohru wove their way through the crowd to the food table. "Let?s hurry and get to the roof," he said. "I think the bells and fireworks are about to start."

----------------------

They each piled plates with food of every sort and Kyou grabbed cups and sake, as well. He led Tohru away from the plaza to a house not too far off, set up on a small rise. The surroundings seemed twice as empty when contrasted with the bustling plaza. The roof came down very close to the ground right on the top of the hill, so the only difficult maneuver was jumping over the gap between. Kyou handed his plate and the sake to Tohru and then jumped. Tohru handed all the items to him and waited for him to set them down. Then, he reached out and grabbed her hands, easing her over the gap.

Once on the roof, they climbed to the peak and settled in, leaning up against the chimney. "So this is the house where you grew up?" Tohru asked, stuffing some sushi into her mouth.

"Yeah. I used to live here before my mom died." Kyou?s expression darkened as he remembered his parents. Tohru realized her mistake.

"Um, Kyou-kun, I?m very sorry. I didn?t mean to talk about hurtful things, especially on such a happy holiday." She lowered her head, hair falling in her eyes.

"Oi, no, it?s not your fault. Hey, um, I made you something." Kyou felt his face redden as he pulled the paper object from his cargo-pants pocket. "It?s kinda wrinkled," he apologized, flattening it on his leg.

"A kite? How beautiful! Thank you, Kyou-kun! I used to fly kites every New Years with my mom." She put her hand to the pocket in her dress, where she had placed a small photo of Kyouko. "Let?s make a toast!" Tohru poured two cups of sake. "To New Years with Kyou-kun and all of the Sohmas," Tohru announced, tapping the tiny cup with Kyou?s. She quickly drank down the intoxicating liquid.

Kyou was a little surprised at her drinking and gave her a questioning look. "Careful, Tohru. I don?t want to have to carry you off the roof."

"Don?t be silly, Kyou-kun. My mom also let me have sake on New Years." She picked up the kite and examined it. Although the kite itself was simple white paper, the streamers were lovely red ribbons and a detailed drawing of a cat adorned the front. "How cute!" Tohru exclaimed, throwing it into the breeze. It fluttered as it caught the wind and soared higher. Tohru laid down on her back and sighed, staring up at the stars.

Just then, the first bell sounded and cheering could be heard from the plaza. "You up for more sake?" Kyou asked, half joking.

"That sounds good." Tohru sat up, still holding the kite. They toasted again and emptied the cups.

"The fireworks should start soon. Want me to hold the kite for you?" Tohru obliged and handed Kyou the string. Hands free, she finished her food and set the plate next to Kyou?s empty one.

Indeed, the fireworks did start. Tohru was mesmerized by the vibrant colors and booming sounds. Kyou smiled and rolled his eyes as she pointed at every one and shouted, "Look at that one, Kyou-kun! That one was my favorite. Wait, no, that one is!" Eventually, the wind died and he reeled in the kite, putting it back into his pocket.

They chatted about the fireworks and had a few more cups of sake. Kyou felt emboldened and scooted closer to Tohru. ?She doesn?t seem to be affected by the alcohol at all,? he thought miserably as his vision blurred for a second. He noticed that he was smiling more than usual and even laughing occasionally.

"Only five bells to go," Tohru sighed. "I?ve counted 103 already." Sure enough, the 108th bell cam soon afterward, accompanied by the grand finale of fireworks. The twinkling sparkles died out and they could see the crowd breaking up below.

Kyou collected the plates and cups and helped Tohru off the roof. Or rather, she helped him off the roof. She stumbled once but seemed to be in better shape than Kyou, who had to focus to get the world to stop spinning. "I?ve never acshually had shake before," he explained a bit loudly.

Tohru giggled. "That?s okay, Kyou-kun. You?re kind of fun like this."

"Okay, Tohru-chan," he said, sitting down hard on the hill. "I jusht wanted to tell you how great you are. Too good for that ramn dat ? er ? yeah, you know what I mean. Oh yeah, here?sh your kite back," he said, handing it to her.

Tohru sat down next to him and kept giggling. "You?re being silly, Kyou-kun. Thank you for such a great night and such a wonderful present!" She leaned over and planted a kiss on his cheek, then got up and helped him back to the plaza.

As Tohru walked into the emptying area, she saw Hatori from afar and headed in his direction. Apparently the Banquet had ended. Tohru left Kyou in Hatori?s care and after a smile and a "Happy New Year!" was off to bed.

Kyou looked after her, his face beet-red from the alcohol and the kiss. Hatori was berating him for being drunk, but he wasn?t listening. ?I can?t believe she kissed me. I just hope it wasn?t because of the sake?."

------------------------

A/N: Well that's it for now. Stay tuned for Yuki and Tohru's "date" the following morning, more Jyuunishi, and a scary Akito scene!