Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Divine Intervention ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: It's Thanksgiving; I'm supposed to be thankful, so, um, I'm thankful that I don't own Fruits Basket because then I'd have a bunch of screaming fans chasing me all over to ask if they can borrow their favorite character, right? Right? Humor me here.

A/N: Okay, prepare yourselves for the chapter to blow all those previous away!

-------------------------

Chapter 15:

Spring was just beginning to seep through the Earth, pushing up new growth and greenery with its persistent awakening. The early evening sun dappled through the various gardens and fences in the Sohma family main house, illuminating spots on the ground like a pirate's treasure of gold coins had spilled out from the sky. The scenery was absolutely beautiful, one of the loveliest times of year at the huge Honke. A casual passerby never would know the tension that hung over the largest building, though, even if it was almost tangible.

Inside that large building there was an audience chamber, frequented by few, but dreaded by many. The wrath of the Sohma family clan head was not unheard of, even to those that knew nothing of the curse. Indeed, Sohma Akito was a name spoken softly, in a fearful reverence; respect was necessary, but so was caution. It was there in that chamber where he spent his days that fifteen people awaited…something.

Thirteen of them were cursed, young by the normal standards. Their curse seemed simple, but in fact it was the skeleton in the Sohma closet, and only those who experienced it through themselves or those close by were fully aware of the price that was paid. Love, care, normal human touch, they were all stunted and warped by the curse. Transforming into a Zodiac animal was only one small part, not the majority as most would assume. No, animals were nothing compared to the pain and abandonment they all endured.

Their God, this Akito, perhaps suffered most of all, perhaps not. Whatever the case, it was he who demanded their attention, he and the young girl that he held prisoner at his side, the young girl that had awoken something in all of them: love. How such a tiny, simple person could change them all so much they had no idea, but they all had a constricting band on their hearts while her wellbeing was in their masters hands. Two of them, the two standing in front, facing each other with an age-old rivalry, were most daunted by any threat to her. They loved her above all else, a deep, impenetrable love that Akito would delight in maiming.

---------------------

Out of the corner of Yuki's eye, he saw Tohru shaking at Akito's side. His loathing for the Cat was completely gone with worry for what Akito would do to her. It seemed like eons had passed from the time Kyou had taken his place opposite him, and still he waited for Akito to make his declaration. Not a sound penetrated the thick atmosphere of the room, as if time itself had stopped at the will of the Jyuunishi God.

"This wretched girl amuses you both, does she?" Akito's dry voice cracked through the air like a whip to their hearts. "Apparently you all find something desirable in this brainless, repulsive little tramp, even if you won't admit it, so I'm going to employ her to make this fight more interesting."

Using her hair as leverage to drag her to her feet, Akito wrapped his hand around the back of Tohru's neck and held her still. The look in her eyes went from scared to mortified in an instant, and tears ran freely down her cheeks. Akito jerked her body towards him and placed his other hand hovering in front of her throat. "We'll see just how precious she is to you when I'm suffocating the life out of her," he sneered, a maniacal laugh escaping his lips. "If you don't end the fight quickly enough, neither of you will claim her."

Yuki felt all of his breath leave him. His eyes went wide and his stomach twisted into a knot watching her visible struggle to stay upright. And there was nothing he could do. He wanted to run to her and take her from Akito and tell her that he would never let anyone harm her ever again, but the crazed look that he knew too well from childhood was plastered on Akito's face. All Yuki could do was remind himself that he could beat the Cat quickly, as usual, and everything would be fine, he would rescue her. He would win for Tohru.

Kyou's skipped a breath when Akito's foul touch made her tears fall. She was scared, it was obvious, and he dared not fail her this time. He was going to win the fight not for himself but for her. If he could win he could shield her from Akito's tainted aspirations, because he would be a true member of the family, one with a voice that mattered and that could have his own life and his freedom and could protect Tohru forever. Instead of uncontrollable rage, he felt his mind meld with his body and become focused, just like Kazuma had said.

"You may begin," Akito ordered, and laid his thin fingers on Tohru's neck.

Kyou and Yuki battled fiercely in the space made between Akito and Tohru and the rest of the Jyuunishi, all watching as if made of stone. The fight was intense, fists landing with hard thuds onto bones and flesh. They both fought with all of their potency, racing the clock to smote the opponent and save Tohru. Thoughts sped through both of their minds, memories of Tohru and happier days, driving them into a more heated battle that still had neither of them winning.

Yellow ribbons fluttered on each side of Tohru's head, framing her smiling, blushing face. Yuki loved that smile….

"You've got one, too…a plum." Kyou couldn't find the words to express any more clearly that she was special to him….

She had no idea how something as trivial as asking him to play badminton with her made him feel so warm inside, like he had found a home….

'Idiot!' he thought, following her into the sea. She would drown if she kept that up, when she didn't even know how to hold her breath….

"Yuki-kun." The name was simple, but it made him transform, because it was so tender coming from her, his Princess….

Tohru's happiness was so contagious that day, at his Shishou's house. He couldn't help but join in her laughter as they prepared lunch….

Yuki leaned down and kissed her, wishing that the moment could last forever….

Tohru's soft kiss on his cheek made his sake-riddled head cry out in enthusiasm….

An especially strong kick to Kyou's ribs made the Cat stagger back a bit, just long enough for Yuki to risk a glance at Tohru. Her eyes had rolled back in her head and her lips were tinted blue. The sight alarmed him, and made his dreaming mind come back to reality. They were getting nowhere and Tohru was already losing the fight against time. Her breath came, but it was haggard and irregular. Yuki knew that there was only one thing to do. He was resigned to the fate that awaited him and he lowered his guard when the Cat rushed him again, one last time.

Kyou let out a warcry and sprung from his stance to lay his fist hard into Yuki's chest. It was a move he had tried hundreds of times before, in many fights, but it had never worked. He prepared for the deflecting block that didn't come. Kyou was puzzled as Yuki actually leaned into the blow, causing Kyou to strike with all his might into Yuki's sternum. He watched the Rat fall backwards, unconscious on the floor, all the while wondering how in the hell he had actually beaten his foe.

"You have done well, …Jyuunishi Kyou," Akito grated out from behind him.

Kyou's shock became dismay as he turned to look at Akito. The insanely enraged God dropped his hold on Tohru and quickly composed himself, whisking his hands together like he was ridding himself of filth. Tohru collapsed into a heap, her head banging onto the floor tiles.

Kyou, feet seemingly planted to the ground, swiveled his head back and forth between his once rival and his one love, both lifeless on either end of the room. He paused on Yuki, stunned at the fact that his only feeling for the Rat was concern. Yuki's chest rose and fell fitfully, but at least he breathed. Hatsuharu and Ayame were already at his side, the latter cradling the grey head in his arms.

Turning back to Tohru, Kyou was overcome by an increasing dread. 'Oh, gods,' he thought, 'She's not breathing.' But his fear of Akito, standing over the girl with an impish smirk, transfixed him. He didn't know what to do. If he went to her, Akito would probably stab at his weakness and stomp the remaining life out of her. Even if he was accepted as a rightful Sohma now, his God still looked at him with unabashed hatred.

He opened his mouth to shout something, anything, but before he could Kureno launched himself into Akito, toppling the slight villain. Kyou hadn't even seen him moving from his corner. Akito tried to grapple with the much taller man, but Kureno apparently had some secret strength, and he used it to pin Akito against the wall and clamp his hand over his mouth, ignoring Akito's pathetic kicks and spasms. Despite his actions, Kureno mumbled apologies to Akito and looked as though he was doing penance for murder, his brows drawn and his eyes sad. Kyou didn't care if Kureno killed him.

Running to Tohru's side, he knelt and looked over her body, motionless on the floor. 'No! Not now! This can't be happening!' he shouted frantically in his skull, lightly caressing the tear-damp face and brushing her bangs from her forehead. His heart died seeing her there like that, knowing it had all been his fault for not allowing some stupid fight to end quickly enough for her.

Shigure, coming up behind the trembling redhead, grasped his shoulders and firmly pulled him away from Tohru so that Hatori could examine her. The Dog grimaced as Kyou twisted in his hands, but the boy was spent of energy and distraught and didn't make a move against him. Everyone looked as bad off as Kyou, but they watched the doctor with hope. Kisa was clinging Hiro, even though Akito was in the room, and Ritsu and Momiji stood expectantly near them. Rin and Kagura were holding hands off to one side, and Kureno still restrained Akito. He didn't want to look at where Haru and Ayame were dealing with Yuki, not yet. One victim at a time, and Tohru was much worse.

Mournfully, Hatori put his ear to Tohru's chest, expecting to hear no sound. To his utter surprise, a faint life beat was detected, slow and erratic. Rapidly moving his face up to hers, he tilted her head back, pinched off her nose, and rested his lips on hers, blowing air back into her tortured throat.

Kyou, uncomprehending, yelled, "What are you doing?! Get away from her!" He reached out to yank Hatori off of his Tohru, but Momiji staid him with a firm grip on his wrist. Kyou wondered when they had all come up to the front, but then he looked around to see all of his cousins clustered behind him. Even Haru and Ayame stood on either side of Yuki, fully supporting their newly awakened charge. A look of sheer hopelessness tarnished his pale, princely face. "It's all right, Kyou," Momiji said, causing his head to whip back around to Momiji's ever cheerful smile. "I've seen Ha'ri do this before. He's making her breathe again!" Kyou suddenly remembered taking CPR in school and mentally kicked himself for not realizing.

The technique seemed to be working; Hatori sat up and sighed. Without taking his eyes off of Tohru, he said, "She's breathing on her own now, but we're still not in the clear. I must take her to the hospital, where she'll need to be observed. She may not fully recover form this. We won't know until she wakes up, most likely in a day or-"

He cut off as Tohru stirred beneath his touch. All eyes turned to her as she moaned and lifted her head slowly. "Huh? Oh!" She winced and put her hand to her throat to feel at the welt forming there. "What happened? Kyou-kun? Yuki-kun?" Her eyes grew round and bright as she groggily remembered witnessing their horrible battle. Choking, she recalled the pain of Akito's hold on her. Before she could say another word, Kyou lunged forward, carefully taking her shoulders to support her weight. Yuki was only a second behind, having shaken Haru and Ayame.

"Honda-san, you must not exert yourself!" Yuki slid his hand behind her head to cradle it, not even glaring at the Cat opposite him. They weren't really rivals anymore, he figured.

Kyou was silent, but as usual his eyes were vivid with emotion. Tohru could tell by looking at him that he was worried. With the huge purpling bruise on his jaw, she felt like she should worry about him instead. "Kyou-kun, you're hurt." Kyou waved her hand away, though, as she reached up to him.

"Oi, Tohru, don't worry about me. You're the one who is hurt. Lay down." His tone was soothing and concerned, not harsh at all.

"Yuki-kun, you're hurt, too!" she exclaimed, looking back to her other side. She hadn't seen his final injury, but he had taken a nasty hit on his cheekbone that had abraded the skin. Unlike Kyou, Yuki let her hand whisper over the wound, her touch magical and sad at the same time. When he couldn't stand it anymore he pulled at her hand to kiss the back of it and then he let go of her and rose, regarding her regretfully with his gaze.

Behind him, he heard the rustling of silken robes. Akito stood there, having been released by Kureno at last. Everyone watched warily as he struck the Bird across the face and turned calmly to the rest of them. He didn't look angry or fanatical at all, but smug.

"I thought better of you, my little Rat." His movements were dramatic and foreboding, gesturing curtly with his hands and making eye contact with each and every one of them. When his glare passed over, his message was specific, a different hate for each. "I thought you would beat the disgusting Monster like you always do and I would get to lock him up and torture him, just like that man's pitiful grandfather was treated," he said, pointing blindly at Kazuma, who knelt stock still in his same place; he hadn't moved or spoken at all.

"Then you could have come to be at my side, my own special pet Rat, and I would have favored you like your curse deserves. The Rat was first to the feast after all. Even then he was clever, though, was he not? He rode on the back of the stupid Cow. Always a trickster, just like you are. Don't think that I didn't see the move you pulled, Yuki." That last came with a livid sneer. "I suppose you did it for that wench, but you knew the price of losing before today. Why don't you share it with the rest of us?" Finishing, he folded his arms inside his yukata and tilted his head, an almost sickeningly sweet, patronizing smile on his face.

"I-I…." Closing his eyes, Yuki started over. "Because I lost I will trade places with the Cat. He will be accepted as a member of the twelve original Jyuunishi and I will take the responsibility of his position." He sighed and opened his eyes then, looking down at the two people at his feet. Kyou looked shocked and angry. Tohru looked confused. "Kyou will receive the freedom that the Rat is granted and I will be locked up in his stead."

An echo of gasps chorused around the room. Tohru's eyes filled with tears and Yuki couldn't stand to see it anymore, so he surveyed the rest of the group. Even Kyou's mouth dropped open, and Ritsu's. Momiji was sobbing, Hatori only sad around his visible eye. Kagura was distraught, Rin nodding in acceptance, Kisa biting her lip and Hiro frowning. Kureno looked somber as usual. Ayame was uncharacteristically stoic, while Haru was on the verge of turning Black. Shigure looked…Shigure looked thoughtful. There was a light of excitement behind his eyes, but when Yuki noticed it, it went away, and he shrugged it off to his imagination.

"If you are done with your little speech, then you can leave. Kureno!" he mandated. "Take him to the room, and then come back here so I can deal with you!" Kureno bowed his head and came to stand next to Yuki, hand on his shoulder. "The rest of you will leave! I am tired of looking at you!" He was furious now, his mood having changed in an instant.

They all collected themselves and moved through the doorway, except Shigure, Kyou, and Tohru. Kyou was helping Tohru to her feet, but he glanced up at Yuki questioningly. He didn't like what was going on at all. Some sort of recognition passed between them and he left Tohru's side so that Yuki could say good bye. It was only fair, after the Rat had let him win. Shigure leaned in and whispered in his ear. "Kyou, go with the others. I will bring Tohru out." Kyou nodded and left them, taking one last look back as Yuki knelt at Tohru's side.

"Yuki-kun?" Tohru said in her small voice.

Yuki smiled warmly and sat down beside her. "Gomen nasai, Honda-san. I didn't mean for you to find out like this. Please, don't be sad for me. I'm sure that you can find happiness in life, and I will be content knowing that you do. I will think of you always, because I love you." At the last, Yuki leaned down and placed a kiss on Tohru's delicate lips. Tears were stinging his eyes when he arose and felt Kureno's hand on his shoulder again. "Take care, Honda-san, and know that you will forever have someone who loves you."

"Yuki-kun!" Tohru cried out, but Yuki was already being led from the room, head down. Tohru struggled to her feet and tried to go after him, but Shigure caught her and brought her in so he could hold her at his side.

"Now is not the time," he said in a barely audible voice, keeping his eyes on Akito, who was leering after Yuki. "We have to leave now." While Akito was still preoccupied, Shigure escorted a weeping Tohru out of the room and into the arms of Kyou, who was waiting for them.

---------------------------

A/N: I hoped everyone enjoyed that chapter. I know that it was my favorite to write so far! There will be more to come. Don't despair yet! Reviews on this chapter are especially welcome!

Thank you to so much to those who have been reviewing! I would write you individual notes as usual, but it's Thanksgiving and I must go gorge myself on turkey and cranberries! ^_^

Did I mention that I love reviewers?