Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Eye Of The Storm ❯ Enter Keiko ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
A/N: For the most part this fan fiction is based on the anime, but I will be incorporating some elements from the manga.
 
Chapter 2: Enter Keiko
 
“Yamadasan…” Tohru said not knowing where to begin. Thunder struck a moment later and Tohru still was at a loss for words.
“I must seem really pathetic.” Keiko said as small drops of rain started to pour down.
“No, not at all,” Tohru blurted out.
“Hondasan, I'm living on the sidewalk and everything I own is in this bag.” Keiko said gesturing toward the oversized knapsack that sat beside her. “I mean, really, it doesn't get much more pathetic than this.” Keiko said wiping away raindrops and tears from her face.
“Don't say that.” Tohru said now finding the words she needed to say. “A couple of years of ago I was in the same situation.”
“Don't' just say things to make light of it.” Keiko said lowering her head and bringing her knees to her face.
“No it's true. I was living in a tent in the woods. Well, actually it was property owned by the Sohma family, but for a while I was living out there in a tent until they found me one night. Instead of telling me to go someplace else they invited me into their home and I've been there ever since.”
“That's good for you, things worked out.”
“Yamadasan, things can work out for you too. The Sohmas have become like family to me and I'm sure if I ask them-”
“No.” Keiko objected standing up. “I can't just ask complete strangers to let me into their home.” Keiko finished standing up and picking up her bag. “Only a weak woman always relies on others and can't hold her own when things get tough.”
“Oh, then you must think I'm really weak, huh?” Tohru said turning her back to Keiko to hide the sad expression on her face. “My mom told me once that when things get tough it takes a lot of courage to ask for help from others. She said it takes a strong person to put themselves out there when they really need help because that's when a person is the most vulnerable.” Tohru said turning back around. “It may be presumptuous to ask for such a thing but the Sohmas are good people I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to help out in anyway they can.”
“Hondasan...” Keiko said still crying as she reached out and hugged Tohru.
 
A little later at Shigure's house, Shigure, Kyou and Yuki were sitting the living room watching TV. Shigure was doing his best to ignore the heaviness in the room that is present when ever Yuki and Kyou are there together. The only time that heaviness is ever broken is when Tohru was present with them and at that moment Shigure was eagerly watching the clock, awaiting her return. Looking at Yuki and Kyou he was sure if Tohru didn't turn up soon they would start fighting and smash up his house yet again.
“Tohrukun is late.” Shigure said hoping that they would go out the house look for her.
“Yes, she is getting in a little later than usual.” Yuki said still seated.
“Maybe you and Kyou should go and make sure she makes it in before the weather gets to harsh.” Shigure suggested.
“Why do I have to go with that damn rat?” Kyou questioned angrily.
“You don't have to come, stupid cat.” Yuki said standing up.
“I go where ever I want!”
“Then go away.”
“Sohma home isn't going to pay for repairs anymore and they're so ready to go so late at night. It might not be that bad this time.” Shigure thought. “Then again it could be really bad.” Shigure thought again imagining a pile of rubbish that once was his house.
“Sorry, I'm so late.” Tohru said entering the house.
“Tohrukun, make them stop.” Shigure said in an ingratiating tone. Looking across room Tohru could see and hear that Kyou and Yuki were in a heated argument. Though Tohru was the calm in the storm between Kyou and Yuki, sometimes more frequently than not, her presence is not enough. The next thing they knew Yuki had kicked Kyou through the sliding paper door to the kitchen. Shigure could only stand there with tears flowing out of his eyes like a river.
“Please, forgive my intrusion.” Keiko said stepping out from behind Tohru. “I, I, I…” Keiko stuttered unable to get the words.
“What's wrong?” Shigure asked in a sympathetic tone.
“Shiguresan-” Tohru started to explain for her but was cut off.
“No.” Keiko said stopping Tohru before she could say anything more. “I should stand up for myself.” Keiko said finding new courage. “Even if they reject me at the start I've got to try. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to survive out there, especially with winter coming. I have to swallow my pride and ask for help.” Keiko thought as she prepared herself. Taking off her shoes and placing her rain poncho at the door, Keiko walked over to Shigure and performs a very low bow. Lowing herself down to the floor as if to sit with her knees folded under her body Keiko leans forward with her face nearly touching the floor. “I humbly request that you allow me to live in this house.” Keiko said as humble as possible.
Yuki was silently shocked and Kyou who had staggered back into the room looked up in surprise as well.
“I have no where to go.” Keiko said with her face still to the floor. “I've been living on the streets for the past three mouths and if Tohru had not come along and found me tonight…” Keiko said. Then unable to speak anymore she started to softly sob. Right then Tohru dropped to the floor in the same position as Keiko.
“I know it's a lot to ask, but please let her stay here with us.” Tohru pleaded.
Shigure looked down at the two no longer able to contain himself any longer. Without warning he exploded into a fit of laughter. Keiko looked up in disbelief with tears still in her eyes.
“She pours her heart out to you and all you can do is stand there and laugh?” Kyou yelled.
Shigure still could not regain control of himself and being rebuked by Kyou only served to fuel his laughter even more.
“Please excuse my cousin.” Yuki said kneeling down in front of Keiko. “What he means is he'd be delighted to have you stay here with us. Isn't that right, Shiguresan?” Yuki said looking over his shoulder at his older cousin who was huddled in the furthest corner of the living room doing a very bad job of covering up his laughter. “You can stop any time.” Yuki said annoyed, by Shigure's behavior.
“She was on the street three whole months.” Shigure said still laughing then suddenly stopped. His expression now sober he stood up and walked back over to Keiko who was still positioned on the floor.
“Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I was just so overwhelmed with joy that another lovely young lady would be joining us I couldn't help myself.” Shigure said trying to cover for his nervous laughter. Kyou and Yuki said nothing as they both gave him cross-eyed stares.
“Really?” Keiko said jumping to her feet and extremely close to Shigure. Giving a slight gasp he awkwardly took a step back. “Hondasan…” Keiko said turning to face Tohru then turned back to everyone else in the room. “Thank you very much.” Keiko said bowing. “And I promise I won't be a burden. I may not be able to cook so well, but I can clean and I can fix things; plumbing, electrical, you name it I can fix it. If you have any materials I can have that door fixed before morning.” Keiko said rushing over to Shigure who just smiled.
“Beautiful and handy to have around,” Shigure said.
“Great!” Keiko said picking up her bag. “I'll get right on it!”
“You can share my room with me.” Tohru said taking Keiko's hand and quickly leading her upstairs.
Once they were out of earshot Shigure spoke in a hushed voice. “You know we're going to have to be extra careful.”
“That goes double for you, stupid cat.” Yuki said folding his arms.
“You want to start something?” Kyou said pushing up his sleeves angrily.
“Ah, Yuki don't tease Kyoukun, he can't help it.” Shigure said draping himself over Kyou's back.
“Get the hell off me!” Kyou yelled thrashing about in a futile attempt to knock Shigure off of him.
“What are you all doing?” Keiko said as she walked into the living room.
“Oh, Keikokun,” Shigure said acknowledging her presence. “You've changed clothes. That outfit fits you like a glove.”
“Stop looking at her like that you dirty old man!” Kyou and Yuki said simultaneously as they put a hurting on their cousin. Keiko had changed out of the clothes she was wearing into a white tank top that was worn over a black sports bra with a red lining and red shorts. Along with her outfit Keiko was presently wearing a tool belt.
“You guys are awfully rowdy for it to be so late.” Keiko said walking past them and preparing to work on the door. “Oh, I'm already to work, but do you guys have any extra materials?”
“Right here!,” Shigure said scurrying out of the room in back with in seconds to hand Keiko a pile of sheet wood and paper.
“I think I'm going to be sick.” Yuki said under his breath.
“That's just nasty.” Kyou said.
“So, your really can fix anything?” Shigure asked.
“Uh-huh, that's right.” Keiko answered as she went to work on the door.
“I can't take this anymore!” Kyou exclaimed.
Yuki only stared at Shigure in calm anger.
“Eee! Yukikun, is scary.” Shigure said seeing the expression on Yuki's face. Putting his hands over his face he quickly left the room and went to bed.
“Sorry, about that.” Yuki apologized.
“Don't worry about it.” Keiko said cheerily. “I'm sure he didn't mean any harm.” Yuki and Kyou feel silent and looked as if they were going to be sick.
“Don't be so naive.” Kyou said.
“He, he. Don't worry!” Keiko said turning to face them. “If Shiguresan gets out of line, POW!” Keiko said smacking her hands together. Yuki flinched as the memory of the slap Keiko gave him was suddenly recalled.
“Well, I'm beat.” Kyou said leaving the room to go to sleep.
“Me too. Good night, Keikochan.” Yuki said getting up to leave.
“Good night.” Keiko said continuing to work.
 
The next morning Keiko was up bright and early helping Tohru as much as she could with preparing breakfast.
“I know what!” Let's make croissants.” Keiko announced pulling out the necessary ingredients.
“Huh?” Tohru said not knowing what croissants were.
“It's a piece of bread shaped like a crescent moon. I learned to make them while I was in France.” Keiko said her voice trailing off for a second. “Here, I'll show you how to make them.” She said mixing everything together.
“That's amazing!” Tohru exclaimed a few minutes later after watching Keiko fold the croissants.
“Yeah, I can fold the bread right, but in the end I always manage to burn them.”
“Don't worry; I'll keep an eye on it.” Tohru said sliding the pan into the oven.
An hour later everyone was gathered around the table. Shigure was the first to notice the basket in the center of the table filled with croissants.
“Well, would you look at this?” Shigure said taking the basket and sitting it down in front of himself. “Thank you very much!” Shigure said taking one of the croissants and eating it. Right away tears came streaming out of his eyes. “This is the best croissant I've ever had. Which one of lovely young ladies made them?”
“Yamadasan did.” Tohru said.
“You helped too.” Keiko said. “If it wasn't for you I would have burned them.”
“All I did was put them in the oven; I didn't even know how to make a croissant until you showed me.”
“Keikokun, you shouldn't be so modest these are really good.” Shigure said popping another one in his mouth. “Where did you learn how to make them?”
“I learned how to make them while my family was in France.” Keiko answered.
“Really?” Shigure said his eyes lighting up, then he said something in French. Keiko in turn responded and they both started to laugh.
“Well, that was a good meal.” Shigure said with a smile as a sweat drop came down his forehead. “Time to get to work,” Shigure said getting up and scurrying away into his study.
“Damnit,” Kyou yelled looking into the empty basket Shigure had left behind. “And I really wanted to try one.”
“Don't worry, Kyouchan.” Keiko said sliding over to him. “I'll make some more if you like.”
“Nah, it's ok. I'll just eat what's here.” Kyou said grabbing up a piece of fish.
“Keikochan, I'm curious.” Yuki said. “What were you and Shigure talking about?”
“Oh, nothing much.” Keiko said suddenly feeling uncomfortable.
“What exactly did you two say to each other?” Kyou asked catching the expression on Keiko's face.
“Nothing.” Keiko insisted. “He asked a simple question and I gave a simple answer.
“Then what's so difficult about just telling us what you said?” Kyou asked getting irritated by Keiko's secretiveness.
“Oh, look at me still in my pajamas.” Keiko said standing up. “I better go get ready for school.” She said dashing off.
“Somehow I get the feeling that whatever was said wasn't so simple.” Tohru thought to herself.
 
On their way to school Tohru and Keiko walked together while Kyou and Yuki followed a few paces behind them in silence. Neither of the two girls were alive with conversation themselves but were happy with each other's companionship, which wasn't the case for the two young men the accompanied them. Despite their silence they were mentally spewing insults and obscenities at one another and Kyou looked as if he were going to explode.
“That's it!” Kyou yelled all of a sudden.
“What's it? Have you finally realized how stupid you are?” Yuki said.
“I've had it with your smartass mouth!” Kyou said throwing a punch.
Yuki caught is arm and held it. Kyou went to strike another blow but Yuki blocked Kyou's arm with his hand then grabbed it as well. The whole time he had a smile and a wicked glare in his eyes. Kyou was yet again at a disadvantage. This time instead of his usual kick to the head Yuki gave Kyou a head butt and incidentally Kyou fell backward on the ground landing on his backside. Yuki turned and walked away leaving Kyou on the ground holding his aching head. Yuki just walked passed Tohru and Keiko as if nothing had happened. The two could only stare dumbfound when Kyou got up and ran at Yuki with full fury.
“Do these two always fight like that?” Keiko asked.
“Unfortunately, yes, but lately it seems they've been fighting more often than usual.”
“More than usual?”
“They usually have a fight at least once a day.”
“They fight like this at least once day?” Keiko said in disbelief.
“Yeah, and from the looks of it Kyou has gotten stronger. They fight a lot but not for long.”
“Why is that?”
“Yuki would have usually finished him off by now.” Tohru said as Kyou came crashing to the ground.
Sitting up Kyou put his hand to his mouth to keep the blood from dripping. “Ah, damnit all!” Kyou yelled and took off running.
“Kyou, where are you going? You`ll be late for school.” Tohru called but Kyou had already disappeared.
“Don't worry about that idiot, he'll turn up.” Yuki said his voice riddled with anger as he slowly calmed down from the fight. From there on Tohru and Keiko walked side by side with Yuki in complete silence.
 
“Yuki, Tohru!” Momiji shouted as he saw his friends approach the school.
“[Good morning, miss.]” Momiji greeted Keiko in German with a bow when the three reached the spot where he and Hatsuharu were standing just outside the school's gates.
“Hello.” Hatsuharu said calmly.
“Morning.” Tohru greeted.
“Good morning.” Yuki said now completely calmed down. Looking over at Hatsuharu he could see his cousin giving Keiko an intense stare that then focused on him.
“So, we meet again. Good morning.” Keiko said giving a bow.”
“Keikochan, you've meet before?” Yuki asked surprised.
“Yes, we met the other day.” Hatsuharu begin. “I offered to walk her to class, but…”
“…But he went black and-” Before Momiji could finish his sentence Hatsuharu had clamped his hand over the rambunctious rabbit's mouth and in the motion had pulled Momiji close and wrapped his other arm around him to keep him quiet.
“How are you today?” Hatsuharu asked Keiko calmly, unmoved as Momiji futilely struggled to break free.
“I'm fine.” Keiko answered.
“Where's Kyou?” Hatsuharu asked.
“Oh, we lost track of him after we left the house.” Keiko answered.
“After you left the house?” Hatsuharu asked perplexed.
“Keikochan is living with us now.” Yuki answered. Hatsuharu gave a slight gasp and unintentionally released Momiji.
“That's great!” Momiji said hopping in front of Keiko. “[That means I can hug you too!]” Momiji said ready to pounce when Hatsuharu snacked him back with an annoyed expression on his face. Somehow his sixth sense was telling him that Keiko didn't yet know about the Sohma family's curse, besides that they were in the middle of the street. Though no one was around at the time there was no telling when someone might pop up or who was looking out of the windows of their school.
“Hey!” Momiji exclaimed, but once he saw the looks on everyone's faces he understood right away. “Keikochan doesn't know about us.” Momiji thought remorsefully as he settled down.
“Oh dear, everyone's so serious. Something has to been done about this.” Keiko thought turning to Momiji. “Aren't you just the cutest?” Keiko said smiling at him.
“Why thank you.” Momiji said ginning.
“You must be really smart.” Keiko said misjudging Momiji for being younger than he actually was
Momiji was a bit thrown by her comment but only smiled. “Hey, you're really pretty. Can I walk you to class?” Momiji offered.
“Oh, how sweet, sure.” Keiko said taking his hand and walking off leaving everyone in stark silence.
“I think Momijikun fooled her too.” Tohru thought as she watched them disappear into the building. Hatsuharu stared in silent indignation and though irritated Momiji's antics where not capable of invoking “Black Haru”.
“That was the chime.” Hatsuharu said, with an edge to his voice, hearing the familiar ding of the school bell.
“You aren't by any chance…” Yuki said to Hatsuharu being cautious of his words.
“No, I'm fine. It just bothers me that she's with Momiji right now.” Tohru and Yuki give a heavy sign both feeling that he should give it up.
 
Kyou finally turned up at school that day and to everyone's surprise he was there before they were. Though neither he nor Yuki tried to pick any more fights with each other, things were still pretty tense between them throughout the day. Even almost throughout the entire weekend the tension between Kyou and Yuki cast a heavy atmosphere in the house.
Sunday morning Keiko woke up bright and early to get a head start on cleaning. Dressed in the usual white tank top and red short she wore when doing repairs and chores around the house the first thing on Keiko's task list was to do the laundry. After finishing a talk glass of orange juice Keiko was heading out the kitchen when she bumped into something. She could have sworn Kyou was standing there but when she looked down all she saw was a pile of clothes.
“What the?” Keiko said seeing the pile of clothes move. Carefully lifting up the clothes, underneath she saw an orange cat.
“Damn, this is just great. Why is it that girls always manage to sneak up on me?” Kyou thought as he looked up Keiko terrified.
“Awe, don't be scared.” Keiko said beckoning the cat to come to her, but Kyou would not move a muscle as he was still petrified and didn't even hear a word she said.
“It's okay, kitty.” She cooed picking him up. “I haven't seen you around here. Are you Shiguresan's pet or a stray that somehow wondered in here?” Keiko asked as she cradled Kyou in her arms. Looking down at the clothes on the floor she frowned. “Lazy boys.” Keiko said picking the clothes off the floor with one hand and holding Kyou close to her with the other. “These look like Kyou's clothes. Why would he just go and drop them in the middle of the floor like this? That's men for you I guess.” Keiko said continuing to talk out loud as she did the laundry still holding onto Kyou.
“Geez, does she talk to herself this much all the time?” Kyou wondered.
“I bet this place would look like a garbage dump if it weren't for Hondasan.” Keiko said leaving the washroom and going back to the kitchen. “Now back to you Kittysan.” Keiko said holding him up with both hands. “You're too clean to be a stray so you must be Shiguresan's pet, but he seems more like a dog person to me.” Keiko said causing Kyou's heart to nearly stop. “I know! You must belong to Tohru. She loves cats.” Keiko said triumphantly believing she had solved the mystery of the orange cat.
“You must be hungry. Why else would you be outside of the kitchen? Hondasan isn't up yet so I'll feed you.” Keiko said holding Kyou close to her once again as she looked through the cabinet to find something for him to eat. “Ma, it looks like Shiguresan doesn't keep any canned tuna around and I can't find any cat food. Could that little fish in the refrigerator be meant for you?” Keiko said looking down at Kyou.
“She's gotta put me down sooner or later.” Kyou thought waiting for his chance to make an escape.
“I know it may be easier if I put you down but you're so soft and cuddly!” Keiko said burying her face in Kyou's fur. “I know! Would you like some sardines?” Keiko said holding him up. Kyou only looked at her with an indifferent expression on his face. Keiko then rushed off still carrying Kyou and quietly went into the room she and Tohru were sharing. Quietly Keiko walked across the floor to her school bag and retrieved a can of sardines and as quietly as she came left the room.
“Let's go out on the porch kittysan.” Keiko said merrily walking down the stairs and outside. Once on the porch, Keiko opened the can and the aroma of the sardines seemed to dance around Kyou's nose and send him into somewhat of a trance. The plan was to run away once Keiko let go of him, but once she put him down Kyou had forgotten all about escaping.
“I usually snack on these myself, but today I'll make an exception and let you have them, kittysan.” Keiko said dangling one of the sardines in mid air as she kneeled. Kyou was fixated on the tiny fish and could focus on nothing else but grabbing it.
“Come here.” Keiko said purposely holding the tiny fish so to entice the cat. Kyou stepped forward and jumped up grabbing at the fish with his two front paws but Keiko lifted it higher than he could reach.
“MEEOW!” Kyou said irritated that she did not let him have the sardine.
“Oh, I'm sorry.” Keiko said laughing as she lowered the fish. “I just wanted to play a bit, but I guess you're not in the mood to play right now.” She said lowering the fish so that Kyou could grab it, which he did and quickly devoured it. “I can see why you didn't want to play. You must be very hungry.” Keiko said placing the can of sardines on the porch.
Just then Keiko heard a bump as if something had hit the wall inside the house. Shortly afterward Yuki came outside holding his head. He was walking around still in asleep and had bumped into the wall causing him to wake up. When he saw Keiko and Kyou on the porch his mouth dropped.
“Morning, Yukisan.” Keiko said picking Kyou up once again who was purring like crazy after filling his stomach with sardines.
“What are you doing?” Yuki asked obviously upset.
Hearing Yuki's voice Kyou snapped back to his senses and nearly had a heart attack.
“I'm just feeding the cat.” Keiko said holding Kyou to her face snuggling him. “I found him out side the kitchen this morning and since Hondasan wasn't up yet I decided to feed him for her.”
“Give me the cat.” Yuki said relieved that their secret had not been discovered.
“Awe, but we were having fun, weren't we kittysan?” Keiko said addressing Kyou who only returned an indifferent stare.
“Please, Keikochan just give me the stupid cat.” Yuki said reaching out for it.
“No.” Keiko said turning away from Yuki. “I maybe over reacting but something about that look in his eye right now. I don't think he likes at all, in fact it seems like he really hates them.”
“I have to give him a bath.” Yuki said trying to make up a cover story. “You know how filthy cat's are so please.” Yuki said reaching for Kyou again but Keiko moved out of reach.
“Who the hell are you calling filthy you damn rat?!” Kyou thought angrily.
“He smells just fine to me.” Keiko said holding Kyou to her face and sniffing him. “He smells like someone just gave him a bath this morning.” Keiko said taking a step back as the look in Yuki's eyes became more intense.
“Give him to me.” Yuki said stepping forward.
“No!” Keiko yelled.
“Why not?” Yuki asked irritated.
“I can tell you don't like cats and you may act all nice, but when it comes to kittysan I really don't think that will be the case.” Keiko said taking another step off the porch.
“I'm not going to harm him.” Yuki said. “Well, maybe just a little for almost revealing us.” Yuki thought moving closer.
“NO!” Keiko said one last time as she stepped back. Her heal hit a stone and she tripped falling on her backside and dropping Kyou who landed on his feet and ran away. “Kittysan!” Keiko called then turned giving Yuki an angry stare.
“What?”
“You scared him away.” Keiko said getting up and dusting herself off.
“I'm sure he'll be back.” Yuki said with a smile as the tension he felt eased away.
“You almost sound happy it's gone.” Keiko said walking away.
“I'm sorry, how about I cook dinner tonight to make it up to you?”
“What do I have to do with it? It was Hondasan's cat.”
“That's right.” Yuki said with a small frown. “I mean I should cook dinner to make it up to her.” Yuki said following Keiko into the house.
“You mean so you can kill her. Shigure told me how you make things extra charred.”
“What else did he tell you?” Yuki asked beginning to fume.
 
Later that night Kyou finally turned up. After taking a bath and putting on some clothes he went into the dinning room to join everyone for dinner.
“You sure were gone a long time; don't tell me you spent the whole day running around naked.” Shigure said stopping Kyou before he entered the dinning area.
“Shut up! I had no choice. Every time I tried to come back one of them was wondering around.”
“If you ask me I think he enjoyed it.” Yuki said.
“The hell I did! It was damn cold.” Kyou said then sneezed.
“Bless you.” Shigure said handing him some cold tablets. “Take these just in case, you don't want to transform again and give away our secret like you almost did today.”
“How was I supposed to know she was there? She just came out of nowhere.”
“That's the same excuse you used last time. I'm beginning to think you're doing it on purpose.” Yuki said folding his arms.
“Why you!” Kyou said ready to attack Yuki but Shigure casually flung him away.
“Not now Kyoukun or we'll miss the lovely dinner the Keikokun and Tohrukun cooked for us.”
“Ah, damnit!” Kyou said reluctant to give up his confrontation with Yuki for the night, but let it go anyway. Upon entering the dinning room Kyou plopped down next to Keiko.
“Good evening, Kyouchan.” Keiko said. “We haven't seen you all day. What have you been up to?”
“None of your business.” Kyou said turning red.
“Oh, come on Kyoukun tell us what you've been up to all this time.” Shigure teased.
“You demented bastard, shut the hell up!” Kyou said standing up. “I'm not hungry.”
“How rude and after Hondasan and Keikochan went through all the trouble of making sakana nabi. Yuki said underhandedly picking fun at Kyou.
“You too, you damn rat.” Kyou said turning even redder as he remembered how out of character he was behaving that morning.
“My, my, temper, temper.” Shigure said as he watched Kyou become even more inflamed.
“Damnit, don't I ever get a break?” Kyou said walking away.
“Awe, Kyouchan don't go.” Keiko said in the same tone she used with Kyou when he was a cat. Hearing her speak like that to him again Kyou paused for a moment. He wanted to yell at her and tell he to shut up, but he couldn't. Not that hearing her speak to him in that tone irritated him in any way it had the very opposite of that effect; it made him feel all warm and fuzzy inside and even a little bitty giddy; he felt at ease. That is something he'd rather not allow himself to feel around Keiko, because he was sure that if she saw him for who he truly was that she would call him a monster and runaway screaming in terror and disgust. Tohru was the only one that accepted him for what he was and even she was still afraid of him in his other form, Tohru was special. Though it was a secret hope that there were more people like her around Kyou felt that it was asking for too much; to not have to walk around wearing the beaded bracelet all the time to keep the transformation at bay, to be able to sit and talk and laugh freely with others as he truly was, it was too much to ask from the people of this world. That is why he could not allow himself to let his guard down around this girl from the outside because if he did, if he allowed himself to trust, in the end he was sure he would only be hurt and his heart was still too broken and fragile to handle that type of pain once again without being completely destroyed, so he did not respond to her plea to stay and eat dinner even though he wanted to. Kyou said nothing and continued to walk out of the room.
 
Monday morning Yuki woke up with a cold. Ever since he passed out on the track that day he had been feeling weak and was taking medicine in secret to keep himself from coming down with an infection, but his efforts proved futile. Pulling the thermometer from his mouth Yuki saw that he was running a slight fever and sighed. “How am I going to hide this from them now? He said to himself as he took off his pajamas and got dressed for school. “I've gotta try. I don't want to risk the chance of Akito finding out about this.” Yuki thought to himself. “I'll just have to do my best at faking it today.” He thought leaving his room and going downstairs for breakfast.
“Yukikun, are you feeling ok?” Shigure asked looking up from his paper at his ailing cousin.
Keiko looked over at Yuki out of the corner of her eye. “This doesn't look good. He's been trying to hide it ever since that day, but it's finally caught up to him.” Keiko thought to herself with concern.
“Yukikun, you really don't look good are you sure you're ok?” Tohru asked.
“Yes, I'm fine.” Yuki said denying his sickness.
Putting her hand to his forehead Tohru gasped. “You have a fever Yukikun and you say you're feeling fine.
“It may just be a little cold.” Shigure said. “But you should stay home from school today so that it doesn't get any worse.” He added. Yuki nodded catching his drift.
“I'll stay home too.” Tohru said. “I'll stay home too and make sure Yukikun is alright.”
“No, that isn't necessary.” Yuki said trying to mask a cough. “I just need a little rest that all. I'll be fine by the time everyone gets back today.”
“Everyone?” Keiko said.
“Well, today I have to run some errands and take care of a few other things. I should be back by this evening.” Shigure said those few other things being going over to the main estate to have a talk with someone in particular.
“You'll be ok here by yourself?” Keiko asked Yuki.
“Yes, I'll be fine just need to sleep it off that's all.” Yuki said with a weak smile then left the group to go lay down in his room.
 
After her first two classes Keiko ditched the rest of the day to go see Yuki. Something told her that he shouldn't be left alone and that his condition was worse than he let on. All throughout class she couldn't help but worry that he would stop breathing again no one would be there to help him, so she snuck out of the school and ran all the way back to Shigure's house.
Coming up on the porch Keiko saw the front door open. Yuki's condition had gotten worse and though he was very dizzy and could barely walk he couldn't stand to be cooped up in the house and thought sitting out on the front porch would help.
“Yukisan?” Keiko said with worry in her voice.
“Keikochan… What are you doing here?” Yuki asked slowly.
“I was worried. I saw you taking cold medicine all week so when you got sick today I just couldn't allow you to be here all alone. I was really-” Before Keiko could finish Yuki fell forward onto Keiko who caught him. Suddenly there was a loud Boomf sound and Keiko found herself staring a pile of clothes on the ground.
 
~*~ To Be Continued…
 
A/N: Ok! That ends the second chapter. Oh, I can't wait to get to the part where Ayame comes in! I have big plans for him. (Mwahahaha.) I wanted to include Kagura in the fan fiction but I don't think there is room for her in this one. Hopefully I'll find a way… Akito will come in more later… Oh brother just thinking about him gives me a headache, but I still want him in this fic. I hate him yet I really like him (what story doesn't have a good antagonist?). ^_^'
 
[As for the short conversation between Shigure and Keiko, let's just say he said something slap worthy, that Keiko's response was the equivalent of a slap and that the whole conversation was worthy of being censored.]
 
 
http://www.geocities.com/layerofhoshika