Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fumei no Musubi ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
ÿþDisclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world s many coincidental mysteries.



Fumei no Musubi: Chapter Ten

By Ina-chan



It's been almost fifteen minutes.



The writer idly tapped his pen on the edge of the notebook on his lap as he continued to wait. His eyes focused blankly on the same page... more like he couldn't get himself to look up, thus his notes seemed like as good as an excuse to occupy his attention. Nontheless, his ears perked anxiously as he monitored his surroundings.



Waiting.



The room was so silent that the tapping pen blared like a base drum in his ears. But still, he patiently waited as another minute added to his vigil. It was a battle of the wills... a great matter of principle was on stake. But it would seem that his opponent was just as determined to not be the first to break down.



"I've had enough of this nonsense, You're no longer in elementary school. If you don't resolve this like adults, it's up to you," Ayame sighed with uncharacteristic exasperation, he ran his fingers through his silvery strands melodramatically, making his way out of the room," I'm GOOOO~~ING now! I better not come back to a blood bath or I'll spank the both of you!"



With that, the snake left the room in feigned huff. Shigure almost allowed the amused smile creeping to touch the corners of his lips at his cousin's antics... but he forced his face to keep its apathetic expression. He thought it was unusual that Ayame seemed impatient to leave his side when his cousin first came to visit him that morning. It seems that this was the answer to his unspoken question. It doesn't really matter now, anyway. He pushed all other thoughts away from his mind. After all, this was still the middle of a battle. His opponent had already won countless battles like this in the past... but this time, it'll be different. He knew he was on the right this time, despite what Hatori may believe. This was one battle he can't lose. He refuses to lose...



"OW! What the---" Shigure yelped in pain, suddenly clutching his arm. He finally looked up and saw the Souma Family doctor standing by his bedside as he nonchalantly untangled the sphygmomanometer. Shigure could only glare at the other man, "What did you do that for?"



"That piece of tape was on the way," The doctor said blandly as he wrapped the blood pressure cuff around the novelist's upper arm, before adjusting his stethoscope



"You didn't have to rip my ski---" The dog protested indignantly



"Shhhh!" The dragon pointed at his cousin sternly, demanding his complete silence, before proceeding with his task



Shigure let out a defeated sigh and slumped back on his pillows. He really should have known by now that those tactics don't work on Hatori, "I don't know why you're allowed to become a doctor. Your bedside manners are horrible."



"You talk too much," was Hatori's simple curt reply as he peeled off the measuring instrument and motioned at the other man to sit up



The writer sat up obediently, shrugged off the sleeves of his yukata, and the doctor started examining his chest sounds. Hatori still had that chilly 'I'm still mad at you aura around him'. The dog knew well enough from childhood experience that the dragon was slow to anger. In those instances after Hatori's ire was unleashed, though he may act civil, Shigure knew too well that the fire of the dragon's wrath was also slowly extinguished. To be quite honest, he was still a little surprised that Hatori actually came to him when the embers were obviously still seething. Then again, Hatori does have the noble trait of swallowing his pride for the sake of the common good. It saddened him that more likely than not, Hatori was only seeing him out of duty.



"So what's the verdict? Am I going to live," Shigure called out playfully as he pulled on his clothes after Hatori finished his examination



"Unfortunately," Hatori replied abruptly, "Right until you're a senile dirty old man."



In spite of himself, Shigure allowed himself a small smile, languishing on the relief that relieved at least, they were in talking terms again, "I'm sorry about earlier. I knew I should have told you in the first place... but I didn't intend for Kana-chan to get involved in this. And she still isn't. As far as she knows, she was only helping me with my research for a new book."



Hatori didn't answer, maintaining a stoic expression on his face.



Shigure sighed again, "This is exactly the reason why I didn't want to tell you..."



"But you didn't hesitate to tell someone else," Hatori stated blandly



The novelist frowned,"What?"



No... Hatori's anger hasn't waned a single notch. Behind the impassive mask and the calm voice, Shigure could sense the intensity of his best friend's fury. Whatever it was that got him riled up, it was definitely bigger than the Kana incident. The dog tensed up instinctively, as anxiety started to settle in the pit of his stomach.



"What are you talking about?" Shigure stared at the other man nervously, "What happened?"



"Shigure," Hatori began, his steely gave locking his best friend in place, "Why did you tell Tooru-kun?"



The writer's eyes widened at the revelation and started to shake his head protest.



"I don't care what you do on your own anymore," Hatori interrupted before words could leave the other man's lips, "I hoped Kana was your last mistake. But Tooru-kun... She's already stressed as it is, Shigure. Involving her in this... Most specially now... it's unforgiveable."



"I didn't..." Shigure began, "Ha-san... what happened? Did something happen to Tooru-kun?"



Hatori crossed his arms and studied his patient before speaking, "She's having problems sleeping. Kagura told me that Tooru-kun has also been sleepwalking. And it all seemed to have started roughly after your incident in the library."



Shigure stared at the doctor in shock. He was aware that their flower has been going through a lot, and she had told him in passing about her sleeping troubles. But he didn't realize how serious the situation really was. Suddenly, it was completely clear the real reason why Ayame was acting strangely that morning. He clenched his fists as a wave of guilt descended over him once again, "How is she?"



"Resting," Hatori replied quietly, "Fortunately, she's a more compliant patient than you and she has Kagura and Kyou to be my eyes."



"Yuki..." Shigure started



"Don't think about any thing else now," Hatori interrupted once again, his voice raising slightly, betraying his real emotions, "I need you to tell me why you told Tooru-kun?"



Direct to the point. So annoyingly typical of Hatori. The writer glared at the doctor defiantly, "I didn't tell her anything!"



"Then what happened in the library that day?" Hatori demanded



"Nothing. I was just doing research on the family logs, she came to bring some tea, we talked, and..." Shigure's voice trailed, his eyes turning inwardly as he remembered"...the sketchbook."



"Sketchbook?"



Shigure looked back at the other man, "I just showed her a few drawings from Souma Yuuta-san's sketchbook."



"Souma Yuuta?"



"Iwaku-san's nephew. He was the..." The writer's voice trailed again, "...mouse... zodiac..."



Hatori's eyes flashed at the statement, "What else?"



"That's it," Shigure replied, feeling torn between his growing concern for his cousin's wife and the nervousness starting to gnaw at him as Hatori quietly studied him. This was a side that his bestfriend rarely shows. Hatori almost never forces himself into other people's business' unless he was called upon for damage control. Thus, all at once, Shigure realized the seriousness of the situation. Something else is going on that would rattle Hatori's "live and let live" attitude that would make the doctor to procatively intervene and take matters into his hands. Hatori has not acted like this since...



...since that time, years ago...



...when Tooru started living in Shigure's House.



"Hatori," There was an uncharacteristic tremor in Shigure's voice as he stated his best friend's full name, "What is it?"



"She knows," Hatori answered gravely, "Tooru-kun knows Iwaku-san's story."



The Dog's eyes widened once again in disbelief, "What? How's that possible? She couldn't possibly have known about it?"



"Unless there's something that you're not telling me."



"Why would I hide something like that from you?"



Hatori simply gave him a significant look. Shigure shrank back, feeling stung. At the same time, he could feel his anger starting to rise within him. He took a deep breath and pushed back his annoyance. This was not the time for this.



"Kagura prodded if Tooru-kun remembered anything about the dream that caused her to sleepwalk,"Hatori began, changing the direction of the conversation, upon senseing Shigure's unspoken plea



Shigure nodded, encouraging his best friend to continue.



"Kagura doesn't know about the story,"Hatori stated, "So I was rather surprised to hear her describe about the garden that Tooru-kun told her from her dream. It was almost the same account as the peach orchard that Iwaku-san described in his story."



"The garden where Kaji and Yukino-chan played in as children?" The dog asked, a contemplative expression crossing his face, "But that doesn't really mean anything."



"Kagura said that when Tooru-kun was sleepwalking," The dragon added, "She called Kagura a strange name."



Shigure frowned, his anxiety was quickly turning to full blown fear... "What is it?"



"Nagusami."



The writer took a deep intake of breath. Somehow, he had a feeling that was what the dragon was going to say. His mind whirled as he desperately seached deep inside the recesses of his memories. He closed his eyes and rubbed his right temple as he desperately tried to recollect every conversation... every incident... Souma Iwaku... the Souma curse... the Mizugawa revenge... Akito... anything! Anything at all that would give them a clue to why this was happening.



"It seemed that it all started after your incident in the library,"Hatori repeated his earlier statement helpfully



Shigure shook his head, "No... Tooru-kun said once that she had that dream about the garden ever since she was a child."



This time, it was the dragon who stared at the dog in disbelief, "That's impossible! She's not even a Souma by blood. The only possible way she could dream that too, is if someone suggested it..."



"Dream that... too?"



Hatori stopped abruptly, as if suddenly realizing he was saying something that he shouldn't have said aloud. However, it was too late to take back his words. He stood up from his seat, and motioned to leave the room.



But Shigure literally leapt from his bed and held on to the other man's arm urgently, "Who is it?"



The doctor looked away, and remained silent.



"Ha-san, tell me who it is," Shigure's grasped tightened on his best friend's arm, "When I first brought Souma Iwaku's story to light, you scoffed at the mere idea of it. I know you. There is absolutely no way you will suddenly change what you believe unless you've seen proof otherwise. Someone else aside from Tooru-kun and myself are having these dreams. There is someone, isn't there? Who is it? Is it one of the jyuunishi? Is it you?"



"No, it's not me," Hatori replied quietly, still refusing to meet the other man's eyes, "And it's not my place to tell you anything."



"Cut the confidentiality crap," Shigure growled, finally allowing his buried anger to surface, "History is on the verge of repeating itself and we don't have much time to stop it. Tell me who it is!"



"It's not my place to tell you anything," The Dragon repeated firmly, "But if you really want to get your answers, there's only one thing that you can do."



"What?"



Hatori looked up and faced his friend to hold the writer's eyes in a very significant and enigmatic gaze, "Pray."



The Dog's face darkened at the Dragon's cryptic reply, his hands loosening their grip and forming twin angry fists on his lap.





******





The sound of hurried orders and panicked feet echoed over the polished wooden floors, thundering in the background. She made an involuntary cringe as another tortured wail punctuated in the air. The atmosphere around them was heavy with tension. Despite the numerous times this has happened, she still couldn't get herself to be rid of this agonizing sense of fear that she's feeling. Finally the the torrent of sounds finally ebbed to silence, as the cause of the newest storm has finally been calmed.



Thus, she fully concentrated on wringing out the excess amounts of antiseptic from the cotton ball that held it with her tweezers, before turning her attention to the cleaned small cuts and scratches on the young man's cheek in front of her. And for the life of her, she couldn't understand why he's doing this. Or why she's doing this. But despite her past efforts to separate herself from this person before her, in the end, she found herself still by his side.



He didn't react at all when the swab cleansed his wounds.



She knows from experience how much this stings. His strength in bearing pain was one of his qualities that attracted her. Then again, knowing all the sacrifices this person before her is going through... the sting of alcohol on a scrape is nothing more than a bite from an ant. She loved and hated him for that nobility of his. But even more, she hated herself for not having the power to protect him.



"Rin is suddenly so quiet... mystery," her patient's cool, laid back voice, broke their silence



"Idiot," She replied in a quiet tone, "Why do you put up with this? You already know that there's no stopping him when he falls into his spells."



"It's not his fault, you already know that," the young man answered patiently



"That doesn't make it right," she stated with an angry lilt in her voice, as she taped a piece of guaze over one of the deeper cuts on his face



"But at least," he countered as he caught her fingers on his bandaged cheek, closed his eyes and pressed against them, "it gives me the pleasure of having Rin tend to my battle wounds."



The young woman immediately pulled her hand away, an embarrassed flush rushing to her face, "I-idiot. Stop saying stupid things like that."



The young man rose to his feet and started to make his way out of the room.



"Don't tell me that you're going back there!" she glared at him in disbelief.



"I just want to make sure that Kureno is alright," he replied with a non-chalant wave. He rose to his feet and made his way out of the room.



She ground her teeth before turning after him, "HARU!"



Haru looked back from the doorway to give her a reassuring smile, "Everything will be alright, you'll see."



Rin could only bow her head in defeat, listening to the fading echoes of young man's footsteps against the polished wooden floors.





To be continued&



~~@~~



AUTHOR S SQUAWK:



For a chapter so simple, writing this bit was rather difficult. The noose is getting tighter and the leash is getting shorter. I have a feeling that the end is very near, (I hope). Anywayz, thank you everyone for commenting on this rather strange fic. And see you guys in chapter 11 (Soon, I hope...)



Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com



Ja!

Ina-chan