Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fumei no Musubi ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries.

January 5, 2005

Fumei no Musubi: Chapter Fourteen
By Ina-chan

 

"Niisan... now is not the best time."

 

The smile on the Dog's face didn't falter as he faced the Souma Family Master's self-proclaimed bodyguard, "When it comes to Akito, there never really is a `best time', nee, Kureno-kun?"

 

Shigure didn't try to hide his self-satisfied grin as a flicker of emotion flashed across the younger man's normally stoic expression. He didn't have to be a genius to realize that the Souma Family head must have had one of his `spells' based on Kureno's stubborn attempts to keep them away. It was probably more dangerous to encounter Akito at this condition... though he knew all too well, that if he didn't go now, he probably will never gain the courage again.

 

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you in to see him. Akito's finally resting..." Kureno maintained tenaciously.

 

"THE HELL--!!!" Kyou exploded from behind the novelist, but instantly bit tongue upon seeing his cousin shoot him a silent warning. So the Cat frowned with an indignant growl as he crossed his arms and impatiently glared at the other man standing on their way

 

Shigure turned back to the younger man in front of him, "I understand that it's your job to protect Akito, but this is something that simply can't wait Kureno-kun. You can even say that it's a matter of life and death. So if you don't mind, Kyou-kun and I are going to go in to see him."

 

"I'm sorry, but you really have to return some other time."

 

"Kureno-kun, I don't think you're really hearing what I'm telling you," Shigure replied, the smile fading away from his face now, "I'm going in to see Akito now. With or without your permission."

 

A rare frown marred the other man's bland expression, "Is that a threat?"

 

"Perceive it as you wish," Shigure shrugged, as Kyou, on cue took a stepped closer beside him.

 

The younger man didn't back down, but Shigure could see a twinge of fear cross through Kureno's eyes. He knew that the Rooster was not going to give in without a fight, whether or not he carries on with his threat. Shigure could only hope that the younger man would finally succumb before Kyou gets more impatient than he already was, and take his bluff a little too seriously.

 

"Kureno-niisan," Hatsuharu spoke from behind them before the younger man could make a retort, "It's no use arguing with Sensei. I don't think it will hurt if they have a few minutes with Akito."

 

The rooster zodiac opened his mouth to reply when the air around them was suddenly pierced by a blood-curling scream. All four men stared at each other with identical expressions of surprise on their faces. For a brief moment, the writer and the ox made a silent exchange, before suddenly and wordlessly making his way into the Family Head's door with Kyou instantly at tow.

 

Hatsuharu grabbed Kureno's arm in a deathgrip before the older man could react, "Kureno-niisan, it would be better if you don't go in."

 

The Rooster glared at the Ox in protest, before eyeing the open door where the Dog and the Cat had already made their way through, "This isn't a game, Hatsuharu. If you don't let go now, heaven forgive me..."

 

"It'll only make things worse if you go in there and fight with them now. Go get Hatori-niisan, if you must," Hatsuharu stated calmly, "I'll stay. It'll be okay."

 

The older man ground his teeth and gave the younger man another deadly glare before reluctantly turning on his heels and disappearing in the halls. Hatsuharu closed the sliding door and let out a deep breath.

 

"Are you sure this is okay?" Her soft whisper was almost inaudible from where she was hiding. When he didn't reply, she stepped out from the hallway's shadows and instantly stood by his side.

 

"I don't know what Sensei has planned," The ox admitted in his usual deadpan monotone, "But... I trust him."

 

 

********

 

The sound pierced through him like a knife. Despite how Kyou had grown to despise God, he knew that he could never escape him. He was still a Jyuunishi and Akito was still God. It was an unbreakable bond that none of them could escape. So when he heard that sharp cry of terror, he knew that he had no other choice but to follow his older cousin into the room.

 

It was enough to forget the heavy, uncomfortable atmosphere that seemed to seep from every corner of the room to reach out at him. There has always been an uneasy aura around Akito... even in the past. But now... in this room... That perturbed air was thick and even made it difficult to breathe.

 

"AKITO!" Shigure didn't bother hiding the anxiety in his voice as he knelt by their master's side.

 

Even hardened and vindictive Shigure seemed to have forgotten everything the moment they saw Akito's pathetic figure. He too felt that inexplicable urge to follow his older cousin to their Master's side. Somehow, he managed to hold back and stay in the shadows of the room as the Dog silently motioned. He couldn't understand it at all...

 

"IT'S A LIE! THEY'RE ALL LYING!!!" Comprehensible words finally seeped through the Souma Master's hysterical screaming, "IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN THIS WAY!"

 

Akito is pathetic...

 

"Akito... what is it?" Shigure whispered almost inaudibly.

 

Akito is weak...

 

"Shigure?" Akito's glazed eyes focused on the older man before him. Upon recognizing the dog zodiac, the Souma Family Head's face brightened through his tearful eyes as he reached out and cupped the older man's face, almost lovingly.

 

Akito is falling apart at the seams...

 

"Tell me the truth, it's a lie right? This was not how the story was supposed to end. We're supposed to be together and live happily forever and ever. She's supposed to come back to me, just as you came back now."

 

But despite all of this and all of his flaws...

 

"Akito... Who... are you talking about?"

 

...why did he continue to have this power over them?

 

It was as if time had stopped as soon as the words left Shigure's lips. A blank expression fell on the Souma Master's face... but there was no mistaking it. Despite the unspoken words, based from the expression on his face, the writer already knew the answer before he even asked the question.

 

Without warning, Akito's hand flew across Shigure's face like a flash of lightning, and a loud slap echoed like thunder throughout the four corners of the room. Kyou's frozen body started to rush forward, but Shigure raised an arm, motioning his younger cousin to stay back.

 

"Don't play games with me," All traces of hysteria vanished from the younger man's voice as a sudden hardened expression crossed his face.

 

Kyou wouldn't have believed it if he didn't witness it for himself. Their master's demeanor took a complete 180 degree turn. It was as if there was another Akito sitting in front of them in a blink of an eye.

 

"You know very well what I'm talking about. You pretended that you're on her side, but the truth was you were jealous of her all this time," was the Souma Master's harsh whisper, as he stood up and towered over the Dog zodiac. "Time and time again, you plotted to take her away from me because you wanted to keep her for yourself."

 

"Akito, you're not making sense," Shigure replied in a firm tone.

 

"I know that you blame me... all of you blame me for what happened to her. It's not my fault! IT'S NOT! You're the one responsible. It was you. You were the one who encouraged her. YOU!"

 

 

Kyou had no idea what the Souma Master was babbling about, but the dark expression that crossed his older cousin's face upon hearing Akito's words didn't escape him. He didn't know what they were saying... but something inside of him told him it was very important.

 

"In the beginning, after she betrayed her brother... her spirit was faltering and she was unsure on how to move forward. You were the one who encouraged her to go to battle against me."

 

He felt a slight twinge at the back of his right eye after hearing those words. He didn't understand what Akito was saying, but there was something nagging at him from the back of his mind. A sense of familiarity... like a long forgotten story or memory from his childhood...

 

"Of course, it hasn't changed for even now... even though he chose another... You helped him behind my back. You schemed and plotted to ensure that he will be out of my reach. Even though he's helpless now, you're still making sure that he's kept away from me."

 

Kyou frowned. He didn't know the details of Yuki and Shigure's arrangement. But seeing how strange their master has become now, a small sense of relief washed over him, and silently admired his cousin for his foresight in their situation. If Shigure did not become Yuki's legal power of attorney, he shudders at the mere thought of what Akito would have ordered as his cousin's fate.

 

"At that other time, you knew very well how impressionable she was. How she little she understood about the dangers of the world. How she doesn't understand the hatred of other people. Despite my orders... despite my feelings... you, along with the others, allowed her... HELPED HER... to continue seeing that monster."

 

That slight twinge became an unexpected throb... almost making his knees buckle from the unexpected pain. The ghostly melodious laughter from a phantom rang clearly in his mind's eye. A little girl the ornaments sparkling in her long unbridled hair, her Jyuunishi dance clothes whirled in the air, as she twirled and danced gracefully across the room... before dissolving in the air as quickly as she appeared. He closed his eyes and clutched his right eye.

 

"Then you allowed him to be tainted by that monster. Allowing that despicable creature to share the same roof and eat the same meals. Despite my feelings, you encouraged this ridiculous dream to go to Germany. You encouraged him to leave me."

 

The faint echo of a familiar amused chuckle reached his ears. Kyou held his breath as he opened his eyes, slowly lifting his face. He felt his eyes water at the sight of a phantom standing, unnoticed, right behind his Master's form. The figure was just as he remembered him from his dreams. Kyou watched with frozen fascination as the ghost lifted his face to look at him directly. The apparition lifted a finger to his lips, sharing an unspoken secret, and flashed him a yet another familiar playful smile before dissolving into nothingness.

 

"Yuuta," he whispered under his breath. He felt his heart involuntarily skip a beat, "What's going on here?"

 

The room suddenly felt claustrophobic, making it difficult to breath. Yuuta... Yuuta was here. All at once, he understood what it was that made the atmosphere in the room as it was. Shigure and their Master can't seem to see it... any of them... But for some strange reason, he could. No... not necessarily see them, but he sensed them. Every single one of them was there in that room.

 

Ghosts... memories... painful feelings of a person... Dancing, spiraling, laughing, crying, whirling around the room... around Akito.

 

But why was it that it was only him who could see it?

 

Another memory appeared... a beautiful young woman stood before him, with a sad expression on her face, that it nearly broke his heart. He's never seen her in his entire life, but in his heart... in his soul... he knew her.

 

/I'm sorry... onnichan.../

 

His hands reached out for her as her breathless whisper spoke directly into his mind, only to have her image melt away before his fingers could touch her.

 

He clutched his chest as an unbearable wave of sorrow crashed over his entire being, followed by indescribable rage...

 

Why was this happening? How did Akito know? How could he have possibly have known about his dreams? About Yuuta? The pain in his head and the hitch in his breathing were turning into intolerable agony. He needed to know why Akito knew all of this... He needed to know! Ignoring Shigure's silent instructions, he stepped into the light and made his way toward their master. "How did you know that?"

 

His voice was a harsh whisper, but it rang clearly and loudly through the four corners of the room. Both their God and the Dog turned to face him, surprise evident in their faces.

 

"What is that monster doing here?" Akito's astonishment was quickly turning into anger as he turned to the older man, with the expression of indignant betrayal etching all over his features, "YOU planned this too, didn't you? YOU DARE TO DEFY ME LIKE THIS?"

 

Shigure said nothing. He simply sat beside him and watched him with an unreadable expression on his face. Not that he would obey it, but the novelist made no cues or gestures for him to stop.

 

"How did you know about Yuuta and the others?" Kyou continued on, letting his confusion and an inexplicable rage slowly seething inside of him to fuel him forward, "TELL ME!"

 

"Get out," came the God's futile orders, "Shigure, get him out of here. HE'S NOT WELCOME HERE!"

 

Kyou smiled inwardly upon hearing a twinge of fear and desperation at the edge of his master's voice. That continued to urge him forward. Seeing that he was not going to get any help from the dog, the Souma Master scrambled awkwardly to his feet and started to back away from the advancing cat.

 

"SHIGURE, WHY AREN'T YOU DOING ANYTHING!!!" Akito demanded angrily as his eyes darted about the room, like a trapped animal searching for an escape, "KURENO!!! KURENO!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!"

 

"No one is going to come... not until you tell me everything!" Kyou stated threateningly, continuing to press forward.

 

"GET AWAY FROM ME! DON'T YOU DARE COME CLOSER! YOU DISGUSTING MONSTER! KURENOOOOO!!!! HATORIIIII!!!"

 

There was no doubt about it. There was so much fear from his Master, he could literally taste it from the air around him. Despite of himself, he found himself enjoying this situation when the tables were turned. Taking a chance, the Deity darted forward in an attempt to pass the Cat. But Kyou's martial arts reflexes proved to be superior, as he simply reached out and grabbed the other man's arm as he passed. In a split second, the Cat had his Master trapped in a head hold that felt eerily familiar.

 

"Do you think this will change anything?"

 

Kyou almost let go in surprise upon hearing the sudden change in his Master's voice. He could still sense the other man's fear... but to his astonishment, the voice that came out from his master almost sounded like Akito became yet another person. Nonetheless, the voice was clear... with a dignified and arrogant tone as if of royalty speaking to that of a servant. And there was a lilt that sounded almost... childlike.

 

From the corner of his eye, he saw Shigure watching the scene unfolding before him, caught in frozen fascination.

 

"What gives you the idea that there is something that you can do to change your fate?"

 

"I... I just..." Kyou began almost hesitantly, "I just want to know... why..."

 

"Then... let me show you..."

 

Kyou felt his entire body go numb, as his Master broke free from his unresisting body, though the older man didn't move away. Instead, Akito turned to face him and traced an invisible line on the Cat's face. Without another word or warning, the older man bent down to place a kiss.

 

 

As soon as he felt his Master's cold lips touch his cheek, Kyou felt his body go rigid in shock, the connection between God and Zodiac overpowering his senses. He held on to his Master tightly, half-afraid of drowning in the feelings that ran through him. He saw all of it, heard all of it, smelled, tasted, and felt all of it. The disjointed images, sounds, smells, tastes, and feelings of memories past, flashing all at once inside his head...

 

When he could take no more, he finally released his hold... allowing the other man to slowly slump to the ground.

 

 

********

 

"Did you feel that too?" Kagura turned to the Souma Family doctor, who was mirroring back the same bewildered expression on her face.

 

Hatori didn't reply. He simply stared back at the younger woman with that same bewildered expression on his face. A sudden chill ran through his body. An uncanny foreboding feeling prophesizing that something... something was going to happen.

 

"Hatori-san!"

 

Hatori's thoughts were pulled back to reality by the other young woman's panicked call and the change of pattern of the monitor's beeping. His attention immediately turned to the sleeping young man and frowned at the readings reflected on the monitors in front of him.

 

"Hatori... what is it?" Kagura called out, sounding obviously frightened by the turn of events.

 

"There's nothing wrong," Yet. The doctor added silently, as he assessed his patient with practiced precision, "It's not like the last time. His heart rate just jumped up a little bit. It's not any different when you suddenly break into a sprint after resting for a bit."

 

"But why is it happening?" Tooru asked, in that same frightened tone.

 

"I don't know," He replied helplessly as he reached out and brushed a stray strand of hair away from the younger man's eyes, "Perhaps... he's dreaming."

 

"Or having a nightmare," Kagura whispered. She bit her lip helplessly as she watched her friend shut her eyes tightly and cling to her younger cousin's hand even more firmly.

 

Without another thought she put a hand on her friends shoulder and gave Tooru a reassuring smile as the other woman looked up to turn to her, "Nee, Tooru-kun... can you do me a favour? Hold Yuki-rin for me."

 

"Eh?" Tooru stared back at her, puzzled at the strange request and reluctant to let go of her husband's hand.

 

"The best cure for a nightmare is a reassuring hug," Kagura whispered gently.

 

The other woman's eyes widened upon comprehending her friend's words. An uncharacteristic frown marred her delicate features as she held on to her husband's hand even tighter.

 

"Tooru-kun... please," Kagura begged as she put a reassuring hand on her friend's shoulder, "It'll be okay. I promise to hold him tight enough for the both of us."

 

The other woman closed her eyes and let out a sob, but eventually made an understanding nod. She hesitantly released her death grip to accept her niece in her hands and move out of the way.

 

"Hatori, help me, so I don't disturb anything important," Kagura instructed as she climbed into the bed with Hatori's assistance, arranging Yuki's prone figure to rest comfortably against her own. She held him in a tight hug, and rocked him gently as if soothing a child, whispering softly in his ear, "Yun-chan... it's alright. There's no need for you to be scared. We're all here. Tooru-kun, Hatori, Me... all of us are right here, waiting for you. So you don't have to be scared..."

 

********

 

Shigure was already at his feet and caught the young man in time, before he slumped onto the floor. His hands instantly searched through the younger man's clothing, and let out a sigh of relief upon finishing his initial assessment.

 

"Is it finally over?" He mused almost inaudibly, but his Master simply answered with uncomprehending even breaths.

 

"Shigure..."

 

The looked up and gave the frightened Cat a reassuring nod, "He's fine. He just fainted." The Dog's face darkened as he watched their sleeping master, "It's just like you to run away when you're cornered like this, isn't it?"

 

With his words, the orange-haired man sank to his knees and raised one hand to cover his eyes, unable to suppress a sob rising from his throat. Shigure looked up at his younger cousin in concern, "Kyou?"

 

"...stupid... For that stupid reason..." Kyou choked almost inaudibly as he cradled the beads around his wrist, "He made her suffer all these years... He made ALL of us suffer... just for that stupid reason."

 

"Kyou, what's wrong? What did you see?"

 

"In the end, nothing's changed..." Kyou uttered as he glared at their sleeping master indignantly, "It turns out that you're still nothing more but a stupid brat."

 

That was all he could manage to get out from his younger cousin. His heart fell at the sight. Whatever it was that Akito showed the Cat, it was enough to break even his cousin's spirit.

 

"Kyou," Shigure started again as he reached out to touch his cousin's shoulder

 

Kyou simply brushed the older man's arm aside. He wiped the tears from his eyes and got on his feet, "I don't belong here. I shouldn't have come."

 

"What..."

 

"I'm sorry Shigure, but I was going about this the wrong way," Kyou stated in a calmer tone, "Kagura and Yukino are both waiting for me. I don't belong here. I never did."

 

Shigure's eyes softened, completely understanding what his younger cousin was trying to say. He nodded in agreement, and watched silently as Kyou turned around and left the room. It was only then that he allowed him eyes to wander back to his Master's sleeping form. Without another thought, took the smaller man into his arms and carried him effortlessly to the nearby futon and tucked him in.

 

As he watched his master sleep, his mixed up and jumbled feelings boiled up within him. Hatred, anger, loathing... those were the main reasons why he stayed away all these years... he hated himself more for feeling those dark feelings. But despite it all, he knew there was no way he could cut away completely.

 

Now, more than ever, knowing what he knows now...he wanted to stay by his Master's side. Even if it meant to just helplessly stand by and watch his master dream. Even if it meant that all he could do was pray that his master's never ending nightmare would finally cease.

 

Perhaps... this was the true meaning of their curse.

 

 

 

********

 

And the child dreamed.

 

The monster was running after him. He couldn't see it, but he could sense its massive dark shadow towering over him. All he could do was run.

 

Run. Run. Run away... before it got him. Before it hurt him.

 

Run to the place that was always safe. To the place that he always searched for when he closed his eyes to dream. To the place where they first met. To the place where she promised that she will wait and wait and wait and wait...

 

The garden. The garden. The children were playing in the garden.

 

That's where she will be... waiting... waiting...

 

He didn't know how or why, but for some miracle, he found himself there. His heart leapt with hope at the sight of the familiar trees and branches and the heavy sweet scent of peaches. He was there, in her garden. And from the distance, overlooking the lake, sat a lone figure watching the peaceful distance.

 

"...Nee...chan..."

 

His fear forgotten, his tiny feet rushed forward. He didn't care about the low hanging branches catching and ripping his yukata... scratching his exposed skin.

 

"Neechan..."

 

She was there... waiting. She was there... within hands reach.

 

"NEECHAN!"

 

The figure raised its head, as if hearing his call. He was close now... ten steps, nine steps, eight steps, seven...

 

"YUKI...no..." He froze as the figure turned its head to face him. The figure blinked, probably reflecting his own confusion. He shook his head as tears started to sprout from his eyes, "No... no... NO! Why are you here? You're not supposed to be here!"

 

The figure cocked its head to one side as if not understanding what he just said. That person was not supposed to be here. Yukino was the one who was supposed to be here! This was their secret place! How dare him! How dare him come here instead of Yukino!

 

He clenched his childish fists and rushed to the intruder. But the person who was not supposed to be there deftly caught his wrists, rendering him helpless. All he could do is fall into childish sobs as he fell on his knees.

 

Seeing that the child was no longer fighting, the intruder released his hands. The child felt the other person cupping his face and forcing him to look up in a pair of clear gray eyes.

 

There was no anger in them. Or hate. There was not a single hint of emotion in those eyes other than pure bewilderment.

 

"Akito..." The intruder finally spoke, "Why are you so small?"

 

The child didn't know how to reply. He didn't know the answer. In this garden, this had always been the way he was. And now, this garden... the final safe place inside of him... was no longer his.

 

There was no other place to go. There was no other place to run away to. There was nothing else to do, but to stay and face the intruder who somehow managed to enter his safe domain.

 

The one, out of all of them, who was still alive...

 

Yuki.

 

 

 

To be concluded…

 

~~@~~

 

AUTHOR'S SQUAWK:

 

This is the second to the last chapter. WOW! And to think that I started this fic waaaaay back in December 2002. It's like two years now! So I want to make a special thanks to all of you who are continuing to read and support me with this fic. Specially RJunkie and Adria who has relentlessly helped me tweak, prod, and poke at this fic to bring it to fruition.

 

But as you already know... I have issues with FFNET.

 

The story behind this is that... one of my fics ("Seven Minutes in Heaven") was listed in a C2 community, of which a malicious member who has something against the owner or the community itself, reported all the fics in there as violating rules set by ff.net. FF.net administrators deleted all the fics in that community without even checking if the accusation was true or false. Of course, that fic, and all the fics in that C2 community did not violate any rules. All my inquiries to administration were ignored. FF.net administrators can't be bothered with complaints from non-paying members, I suppose. I briefly decided pulling out all my fics and boycotting FF.NET, but it will be unfair to you guys who supported me all this time if I left without saying a word.

 

It saddens me to know that people in FFNET will not see the conclusion of this fic. This is the last chapter I will archive in FFNET re: Fumei no Musubi.

 

But the good news is... you can find the rest of this fic as well as all my other fics intact in Mediaminer. And if you have issues with Mediaminer, I have a temporary personal webpage that's archiving all my written works. It's in geocities, so it sucks. But it's only temp until I find a permanent home.

 

Because FFNET does not allow direct links to webpages in the actual fic page, I can't post the addy here. E-mail me directly and I will send the link to you. Don't leave your e-mail in the reviewers area if you're not signed in, `cause FFNET cuts that out too. ^_^.

 

You can also go to my profile area to access my e-mail and the webpage archiving my fics.

 

All the fics I already posted in FF.NET will stay temporarily until I find/create a more permanent and stable place to archive them. I will update all my unfinished fics with at least one more chapter with this same message at the author's note before I stop updating the fic completely. If FF.Net decides to delete any more of my fics, I will not re-upload them. I will also not re-upload "Seven Minutes in Heaven" here.

 

Again! Thank you for your support! And if you still want to read anymore of my fics... I'll see you in Mediaminer or my temporary website!

 

Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com

 

Ja!

Ina-chan