Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fumei no Musubi ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries.
January 11, 2007
Fumei no Musubi: Epilogue
By Ina-chan
 
 
The room was still silent and dusty from disuse. On occasion, adults still used its gruesome history to frighten little children for discipline. Though, for those who knew better, it really didn't hold as much notoriety as it did in the past. It was as if the mysterious spell around it its myth had been broken at the same time as the Souma Family's curse.
 
That's the reason why he was surprised to see him in this place of all places. He even looked like a devotee making a solemn pilgrimage. At first, he thought about just leaving him alone to his thoughts. But this behaviour was somewhat uncharacteristic, and his nosiness was getting the better of him.
 
“Kyou-kun? What are you doing here?” Shigure finally called out to get the younger man's attention.
 
“Nothing,” Kyou shrugged as he dug his hands into his pockets.
 
“I thought you'd be the first out there to fawn over Tooru-kun and Yuki-kun,” Shigure commented as he stepped into the room with his younger cousin.
 
“I already saw Tooru and Yuki when they arrived yesterday. I'll spend more time with them after everyone had their turn,” Kyou replied nonchalantly, before a small smile crept on his lips from the memory. “Of course, making Yukino share Katsuya with everyone else is an entirely different story altogether.”
 
Shigure chuckled at the memory as well. The other man's daughter was more than delighted to finally meet her cousin for the first time. It wasn't that Yukino didn't have any friends. Since she was yet to start school, she just didn't have any close to her age. Nonetheless, everyone was drawn to her outgoing personality. But there was just so much personality any normal person could stand. Not only was Yukino Souma perpetual ball of energy, but she also received Ayame's gift for words. She did not go through the usual preliminary baby talk stage like normal babies. Before she was two, she literally opened her mouth, spat out complete sentences, and never looked back. Even though Kyou refused to allow his daughter to be tested, there was really no need for a piece of paper to certify that Yukino was born gifted.
 
Couple that gift with the strong wills she inherited from both parents, Yukino was a force waiting to be reckoned with. Her parents were already having trouble controlling her when she seriously put her mind into something. At the moment, for example, the little girl was obsessed with getting a brother or sister of her own to play with. She didn't care if it was an older or younger sibling, she just wanted one. And she made it known, every chance she got. Kyou finally put his foot down when Yukino very publicly and very loudly demanded that they pick up a brother or sister for her from the store for her birthday.
 
Yuki and Tooru's son's arrival was the only thing that excited her enough to get her mind off her obsession. Seeing the horror in Yukino's face when they first met was something Shigure would remember for a long time. It was simply because it was the first time she met a “normal three-year-old” child. Not to belittle Yuki and Tooru's child… it was just by comparison, Katsuya seemed plain and ordinary next to Yukino. Then again, any child was doomed to be plain and ordinary next to Kyou and Kagura's daughter.
 
Katsuya seemed to have inherited both his parents' timidity. As far as Shigure knew, Katsuya was well past the preliminary baby talk stage… if he decided to talk at all. And whatever sentences he managed to utter, he seemed more comfortable and fluent to speak it in German than in Japanese. Thus, Yukino made it her responsibility that Katsuya learn Japanese and be brought up as a proper Japanese boy. Shigure definitely foresaw an interesting future.
 
“I'm not that surprised. Like father like daughter after all. What surprises me is that you're hiding here instead,” Shigure commented as he raised an amused eyebrow. “Of all people, I thought you would be the first one out there. It has been four years since Tooru-kun and Yuki-kun had gone away in Germany.”
 
“I can't believe it's been four years already,” Kyou commented idly, refusing to take his cousin's bait. “A lot has happened since then, hasn't it?”
 
The older man sighed. A lot had definitely changed. In the course of four years, he had to work four times as hard to have fun. Now he had to resort to teasing the little ones to make him feel young again. But setting his feelings aside, it was rather surprising for Kyou to behave the way he was behaving. Then again, Kyou and Kagura were probably the ones who didn't feel the impact of Tooru and Yuki leaving. Tooru, after all, chose them as her closest confidants. It's not that Tooru didn't keep regular contact with the rest of the family. She just didn't connect with everyone as much as the daily basis she talked to Kagura on the telephone. Shigure couldn't help feeling jealous at first. After all, everyone back Japan missed them.
 
Though at the moment, no one will be missing Yuki and Tooru now more than Momiji. The former Rabbit had the privilege of actually being near the young family just the year before, after Momiji permanently moved to Germany when he accepted to become the head of the Souma Company branch there.
 
His decision was probably slightly influenced by the fact that his little sister made it known that she wanted to continue her studies there. There was no way the young man would allow his beloved baby sister to gallivant in a foreign country on her own. Shigure can't help sighing in dismay at the thought. He couldn't even have fun to tease the former Rabbit with his sister complex since the young man held it like a badge of honor.
 
It seemed unreal that four years had already passed. Four years ago, after Yuki miraculously woke up, Shigure couldn't imagine the festivities they were holding now. Back then, their initial celebration was short lived. Even without the danger of the curse, there was still the problem that there was not a single surgeon in the Japan was willing take Yuki's complicated case. It was already a miracle that Yuki survived and awoke, but no one was willing to take the risk of correcting his condition with conventional treatment available at the time.
 
Though Yuki had woken up, without corrective surgery, there was still the possibility that another burst aneurysm could snatch him just as quickly away. His condition already left him weak on the left side of his body and completely paralyzed on his right. Hatori still could not determine the extent of the damage to his brain since his illness also robbed him of his ability to speak. The Souma Family doctor initially suspected that Yuki also lost his vision on his right eye and some of his hearing on his right ear on top of the paralysis.
 
Then, they were contacted by an angel from Germany, in the form of a neurosurgeon who expressed a great interest in Yuki's case. Her team could not guarantee the result, but they deemed Yuki's case as perfect for an experimental procedure that may save Yuki's life. There were no guarantees, but it was hope that they never had. In the end, it was decided it was worth taking the risk.
 
Shigure, however, was suspicious about their saviour's motivations. His suspicions were confirmed when Tooru told him of the German doctor's underlying interest in Yuki's case for personal reasons. When Shigure found out, he almost got into a plane to go to Germany himself.
 
It turned out that another reason why Yuki's doctor was determined to help was because Yuki was a Souma. While the doctor didn't look like she had any trace of Asian blood in her, she claimed that one of her forefathers was Japanese. Out of pure serendipity, a family tree search gave her cause to suspect that a great great great grandfather may have been either a Souma or was once married to a Souma before moving to Germany in the late 1800's. But that was one mystery that Shigure forced himself to put aside, Yuki's condition was much more important than a family history hunch that may or may not be true. There was more time to pursue it after Yuki recovered.
 
With Akito's blessing, Yuki was brought to Germany for his treatment and rehabilitation when he was deemed stable enough to travel. While everyone hoped that Yuki was going to recover, Tooru was really the only one who truly believed it. Because despite all hopes, nobody really expected that Yuki was going to pull through the way he did. It was as if Yuki simply lived to prove everybody wrong.
 
While everyone believed that Yuki's recovery already a miracle on its own, it was not as miraculous as Yuki had hoped. Then again, Yuki had always been his own worst critic. He recovered most of his strength on the left side and though his right side was no longer paralyzed, it remained weak. He still needed a respirator, especially when he slept. He was still unable to speak. It was also discovered that his right eye was indeed blind and he lost some hearing in his right ear. Notheless, his tests also showed that the damage to his brain didn't affect any of his cognition. He was more than willing to demonstrate his scathing sharp wit when he's displeased during a rehab sessions through sign language or the portable computer fitted on his chair. Yuki's hard work and determination paid off to the point even managed to stand up on his own and transfer himself between his bed and chair with minimal assistance.
 
The success of his ongoing recovery had been inspirational to the medical team to the point that he had been asked to become a public face for his condition. While Yuki allowed his doctors to document and use his case for research purposes but drew the line at being a “poster child”. Yuki had always despised being the center of attention, even as a child. Now more so that he had the privacy of his young family to think about and he still had a long way before he completed his physical rehabilitation. His current struggle was to strengthen his paralyzed side in order to retrain his body to walk again and wished his first steps be taken back at home. By this point, no one doubted Yuki's determination. Even though they were reluctant to let him go, his doctors decided that continuing Yuki's rehabilitation in Japan would be as effective.
 
There was also the fact that Katsuya was growing up fast. It didn't help matters that Yuki's young son was more used to speaking German and socializing with doctors and nurses at least more than three times his age, than learning about their own culture and playing with other children his own age. And as much as Tooru appreciated the support she received from her new friends and the hospital staff… and from Momiji and Momo's regular visits, she was also feeling more and more homesick with each passing day.
 
They weren't always alone, of course. When they arrive four years prior, it was Ayame who accompanied them. He even stayed until Katsuya was born. Then Hatori dragged the former Snake back to Japan, mostly at the request of the hospital staff. Ayame did, however, make it a point to visit several times a year within tolerable time periods. Hatori simply made sure that Ayame didn't revolve his life around Yuki. After all, Ayame also had his own life and obligations. Mine had been waiting too long for her wedding day. As devoted she was, there's only so long a woman should be allowed to wait.
 
Speaking of waiting, there was Rin and Haru. Waiting for the two of them to return home, that is. It would appear that the two suddenly run off together… or gotten lost somewhere. It all started as a weekend getaway to Atami. When they didn't return long after they were supposed to, everyone started to worry. They never checked in at their hotel and neither one was answering their mobile phones either. As everyone panicked and got ready to call the authorities, except perhaps Momiji and Hiro, a letter from Haru arrived in the mail. It stated that he and Rin had somehow managed to safely make it to Hong Kong and that they would come home soon.
 
That was a little over a year ago.
 
Since then, the Main House would receive an odd postcard, letters, pictures from the missing couple and sometimes even packages of souvenirs postmarked from somewhere around the world. Since the two looked happy and healthy, they gave up trying to find them… but not for lack of trying. Whenever an investigator was sent to their last known destination, the couple would have already long moved on. It was somewhat scandalous. Even members of the family `Outside' talked about it.
 
Everyone had their opinions to why the couple did what they did. Kagura suggested that her two free spirited cousins simply decided to elope and live however they liked. Though Shigure's favourite explanation was that Rin probably didn't have the desire to come home so she didn't bother correcting Haru's sense of direction. Only Momiji and Hiro seemed to know if the couple planned it from the beginning, but neither man was talking. The only disadvantage to their situation was that there was no way of contacting them of Yuki's arrival. But knowing Haru, everyone was confident that Rin and Haru will return home soon after Yuki and Tooru's homecoming… eventually.
 
Kisa and Hiro finally announced their official engagement and planned to be married as soon as Hiro finished his schooling. It was somewhat anti-climactic in a way. Everyone knew how Hiro and Kisa felt about each other long before the official announcement. Everyone was getting irritated watching Hiro drag it as long as he could. Talk about forcing a girl to wait. He probably wouldn't have made a move if Shigure didn't intervene. Though his successful matchmaking seemed to have gotten in Shigure's head, as the novelist suddenly found new amusement in meddling with people's private love affairs.
 
Like Ritsu and Mit-chan, for example. Shigure was completely taken by surprise when he noticed the former Monkey's friendship with his editor. He didn't think that the two even knew each other, to the point of going on a date once! Shigure suspected that there was something brewing, but neither of them would admit to anything. So he simply blamed it on account that both of them are equally shy and was bent on changing that.
 
Shigure figured that he owed it to them to help find happiness. Mit-chan and Ritsu were the few remaining people whom he still managed to get pleasure teasing. It was like watching Mit-chan being Mit-chan in stereo mode. Of course, he was only doing it because he wanted to push them faster towards the right direction. Though, he couldn't understand why Hatori seemed to be the one most exasperated by it.
 
Maybe the fact that Shigure also tried to meddle with Hatori's inexistent love life had something to do with that. The Souma family doctor seemed to be determined to stay the way he is. Despite blantantly denying Shigure's observations that the doctor seemed to be opening up more to Mayu-chan. Or the fact that the two seemed to be seeing more and more of each other past couple of years.
 
Kureno was another one who seemed to be trying hard to resist change. He still watched over Akito, despite the Souma Master allowing him more freedom outside the Main House and even ordered him to get out more. Nonetheless, Shigure heard rumors that the younger man was often with one of Tooru's friends when Kureno did venture outside.
 
Shigure had to admit that he was no different. He was now Akito's self-appointed primary caregiver. Ironically, he never felt as content. As the saying goes, `You can't teach an old dog new tricks.' Perhaps he developed the habit after looking after Yuki, Kyou and Tooru all these years. But then again, before Tooru came along, and before his relationship with Akito soured, Shigure had always been the one looking after the former God. Perhaps he was really just substituting his former wards for Akito. Unlike Kureno, Akito didn't send Shigure away and didn't complaining about their current arrangement. So Shigure decided to stay by the Souma Master's side until he is sent away.
 
Finally, there was Akito. Perhaps out of everyone, Akito was the one who didn't want to change, but ended up changing the most. Since that day, Akito was no longer plagued by his nightmares or haunted by his visions. Almost immediately after, Akito did felll into a depression that seemed more concerning than those times when Akito had his fits of psychotic rampages. Shigure was a bit concerned about telling him the news about Yuki's treatment at first. No one was more surprised than him, when Akito actually gave his blessing. But Yuki's departure brought Akito deeper into his depression.
 
That was until Kyou started visiting Akito regularly.
 
Shigure was apprehensive at first when Kyou requested the visits. He was probably more astonished when he found out that it was Kyou's idea. His curiosity got the better of him again and in the end, managed to convince Hatori to allow it. In the beginning, all the visits were usually short and awkward. Then it became a routine. Shigure later found out that Kyou was initially bringing letters addressed to Akito from Tooru. It was Kagura's idea for Tooru not to send the letter directly to the Main House, but it was Kyou's idea to for him to be the one to make sure that Akito received it. Kyou was persistent with making sure that Akito knew Tooru's message to the point that he read them aloud to their Family Head before leaving.
 
Needless to say, Shigure was afraid that the arrangement was not going to go well at first. But Akito's passivity due to his depression actually came to their advantage. Kyou didn't stay long at first. Just enough time to deliver the letter and read the letter. But as time went by, Shigure noticed that the visits became longer. He was sure that he even heard a semblance of a civil conversation when he passed by once. Nonetheless, it became apparent that it was Kyou's visits that slowly brought Akito back from his pit of despair.
 
Akito never wrote back to Tooru. But Shigure was sure that Tooru was reaching their Master. The change in Akito's demeanour was proof enough. While Akito still had his lapses of irritability, Akito never lashed out at people again. Akito's change would have perfect the way it was if it weren't for one thing. Since Yuki left four years ago, Akito never showed any emotion on his face. He never cried, never laughed, never gave even a hint of a smile, and never even raised his voice.
 
“Yes, a lot has changed,” Shigure agreed, forcing his mind to wander back into the present. “And where is our little darling right now?”
 
“Kisa took her and Katsuya to play in the garden. Yukino was starting to get fussy at the gathering,” Kyou replied before adding, “probably because she's not the center of attention.”
 
“It really is like father like daughter,” Shigure laughed.
 
“What's that supposed to mean?” Kyou demanded, irritably, not liking what the older man was implying about his daughter.
 
“Nothing,” Shigure replied holding up his hands in defeat, before changing into a serious demeanor as a thought suddenly occurred to him. “The garden, huh? I suppose now is a good time as ever.”
 
Kyou frowned and looked at the novelist suspiciously. “Oi, what are you mumbling about now?”
 
“Nothing,” Shigure repeated with a genuine smile. “I just thought that the garden at this time of day is a wonderful idea.”
 
“Ha?”
 
*****
 
The garden still soothed him.
 
He no longer had his nightmares and his visions. In fact, like most memories, most of them seemed to be slowly fading away with time. Along with the bad dreams were his memories of her and her garden. Once in a while, he would have a bout of nostalgia. Or when he felt anxious, he would go to recreate the soothing feelings the memories of her used to bring him.
 
He would stroll in the garden or just sit underneath the trees. He sensed her from the presence of the trees and fresh scent of flowers in the cool breeze. And she always melted those bad feelings away. But it was the wrong season to do that now. It was the time of the year when spring was in the hurry to rush in and winter was reluctant to leave. His attendants would have a fit if they knew he wandered outside. Shigure would often turn a blind eye on his secret ventures. The novelist somehow understood the restlessness he felt after being cooped up inside all winter.
 
Especially now… with the knowledge that Yuki was finally home…
 
Akito was happy to know that Yuki was well enough to return home. At the same time, it made him anxious and a little scared. As much as he wanted to greet Yuki with the rest of his family, he was afraid to meet him. He didn't make an effort to see Yuki again after that day when his sins were forgiven. He regretted it the whole time Yuki was gone. He had the constant fear that if Yuki had di… if Yuki's procedure in Germany had been unsuccessful… then the image of Yuki leaving him in his dream would be his last memory of Yuki. He would have lost his chance to ask forgiveness in person, even though he knew in his heart that Yuki had forgiven him a long time ago. Kyou's actions and Tooru's letters were proof of that.
 
But still, it scared him… the thought of facing Yuki.
 
“KYAAA! WATCH OUT KAT-CHAN!!!”
 
Akito completely lost his train of thought at the sound of the childish yell. Before he could react, he felt a small body bump against him then fall back unto the ground. He looked down and found himself staring at a pair of wide, expressive, familiar looking grey eyes.
 
“Yuki…” Akito instantly murmured in surprise.
 
The eyes in front of him simply blinked.
 
“ACHA! Now you did it!” The other child cried out with great exasperation, as she rushed forward to help her companion up on his feet. As she did so, she gave Akito a very adult-like apologetic look. “We're so sorry! Kat-chan didn't mean to! He's only three and a half! He doesn't speak much Japanese! Actually he doesn't speak much at all! And he cries easily!”
 
Akito glanced at the other child who couldn't seem to stop talking then recognized her instantly. The child's reputation preceded her. Everyone in the Main House talked about Kyou and Kagura's unusual daughter. And even if he hadn't seen her before, he would have known right away. She was the splitting image of her mother.
 
“Kat-chan! Next time you look in front more when you walk!” The little girl continued on.
 
The little boy still stared up curiously at Akito and started to suck his thumb, then slowly nodded his head in acknowledgement.
 
With that, the girl squealed with delight and instantly grabbed the little boy in a tight hug. “Kyaaa! Kat-chan is so cute! I could just eat you up!”
 
Akito couldn't help wincing inwardly. The child was definitely Kagura's daughter. He turned his attention back at the little boy, and noticed yet another familiar trait. The little boy looked like he didn't know how to react to his companion's outburst but at the same time was too polite and well-behaved to fend her off. On closer inspection, however, Akito quickly realized that though the child had the same eyes, he didn't look like Yuki at all. He was as cute as all children go, but in all accounts, he looked plain and average… like his mother. Whatever doubts about the child's identity, completely vanished at that.
 
Then the little girl stopped in mid-sentence, as she listened carefully. And without breaking her stride, she took the little boy's arm and led him towards a bush behind Akito. Since the leaves were yet to sprout, it wasn't much of a hiding place if Akito wasn't there to block the view. The little girl seemed to know this, so she gave the Souma Master a pleading look. “Don't tell anybody we're here! We're playing hide-and-seek with Kisa-neechan! Okay?”
 
Akito watched speechlessly as they both hid awkwardly in the shrubbery. As if on cue, he then heard a young woman's voice calling in the distance. Part of him immediately wanted to retreat before another intruder entered his solitude. But at the same time, another part of him wanted to stay and watch the results of the children's naughtiness. His moment of indecision was more than enough.
 
“Yukino-chan! Kat-cha---!” Kisa instantly stopped when she saw Akito standing in front of her.
 
Akito's heart sank as he saw her stiffen for a second. Another one of his regrets... Though the young woman had been civil and polite to him all these years, he knew that she never really recovered from her old fears of him.
 
“Akito…” Kisa smiled politely, “I'm sorry for disturbing you. I'm looking for two children…”
 
Akito gave her a curt nod and said nothing. Kisa nodded back in response before hurrying away to continue her search. As soon as the young woman was off hearing distance, Yukino popped out cautiously from her hiding place, making sure that the coast was clear, before tugging on her companion to come out. This time around, she stared at Akito with amazement in her eyes.
 
“Waaah! You're Akito-san! It's nice to meet you! I'm Yukino Souma, four years old. This is Kat-chan, he came from Ger-my yesterday. That's why he doesn't speak a lot of Japanese,” Yukino began her prattle again before turning back to her companion. “Did you hear that Kat-chan? This is Akito-san! He's very important so you have to add a `san' to his name when you call him. Right, Akito-san? I thought you're going to be very boring because you're an important adult. But you're not like the other adults, aren't you? You're okay!”
 
Akito stared at the little girl and couldn't help but feel struck as the girl's name finally hit him. She was the complete opposite of the Yukino he knew.
 
“Yuu-chan,” the little boy suddenly spoke aloud as he pointed to at the little girl.
 
His voice as soft and timid as he acted, but there was something about him that Akito couldn't help but want to hear what the child wanted to say. Yukino seemed to have been caught in the same spell, and instantly stopped talking to let the other child speak.
 
“Kat-chan,” The little boy continued as he pointed to himself. Akito held his breath as the child then pointed his tiny finger at him with a very pleased expression on his face, “A-chan-san!”
 
“WAAAAH! Kat-chan is so CUTE! I COULD JUST EAT YOU UP!” Yukino cried out again as she attacked the little boy with another enthusiastic hug.
 
Once again, Akito could only stare at the children speechlessly. Normally, such chatter only gave him a headache. He even considered that perhaps he was just overwhelmed by the children's unusual behaviour that he wasn't really sure how to react. But seeing the children look up at him without a hint fear or obligatory respect… He never experienced anything like that, even when he was among his jyuunishi. To not to be seen as the Head of the Souma Family or as the God of the Jyuunishi… to be accepted as…
 
…one of them.
 
“A-chan-san,” The little boy called out again when the little girl finally set him free.
 
As soon as Akito gave him his full attention, the child raised both arms towards the older man. Even without any experience with children, Akito instantly recognized the gesture as universal signal for `up'. He stared at the little boy awkwardly, not really knowing how to react.
 
“He's tired,” Yukino declared in a knowing tone as she nodded her head solemnly. “The adults were fussing all over him all morning. Adults can be silly sometimes. I mean Kat-chan is just ae baby. Of course he'll tire easily. That's why I decided to pull a temper tantrum to rescue him. Sometimes it's the only way adults will listen. You're the tallest, that's why he wants you to carry him.”
 
“Up! Up!” The little boy called out to him expectantly.
 
Against his better judgment, Akito scooped the little boy into his arms and reveled at the sensation of holding something warm, tiny and fragile. The instinctive feeling of wanting to protect washed over him so suddenly, that it almost made him weep. It had been such a long time since he felt those feelings that he'd almost forgotten the first time he held a jyuunishi younger, smaller, and more fragile than him…
 
The first time he held Yuki.
 
Then Akito felt the little boy start squiring in his arms. He instantly loosened his hold out of fear that he was smothering the child, but Katsuya simply stared back at him before flashing him a bright smile. A smile, Akito was sure, that was meant only just for him. For the first time, in the longest time, as tears started to spill down his eyes…
 
Akito laughed.
 
 
The End (or a new beginning ?)
 
~~@~~
 
AUTHOR'S SQUAWK:
 
The story with no ending never really ends, does it? But I think it's enough to end with this chapter. Thank you to everyone who supported this fic all these years. Thank you for patiently waiting for the end. I myself was having issues when I was writing this. A part of me didn't want to close the book… but I know that it had to have closure. I had to put an end to the misery I put these characters in. If Takaya-sensei could do it, so can I! ^_^. Well… that's it for Fumei… now I have to work on “What's Left Unseen” and “Seven Minutes in Heaven”. Thank you for patiently waiting for those two fics as well. I promise to do my best to finish them before the last book English version of the FURUBA manga is published.
 
I couldn't find a beta reader to edit the last two chapters of this fic. So if you notice any errors grammar and spelling-wise, please feel free to let me know. ^_^. Hey, if you volunteer to beta-read for me… ^_^.
 
Anywayz…
 
Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com
 
Ja!
Ina-chan