Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fumei no Musubi ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries.

January 12, 2003

Fumei no Musubi: Chapter Four

By Ina-chan

"Shigure-san, sorry for making you wait. Hatori-san will see you in his office now."

"Thank you, Midori-chan," The writer winked at the young girl who ushered him into Ha-san's quarters. The young helper made a small, embarrassed giggle, as she ducked her head and exited the room. The writer's expression changed to a more serious look as soon as he was alone once again.

The old woman seemed to have become more protective to Hatori to require such formalities even with him. Not that he blamed her… between Yuki and Akito alone, Hatori had been burning the wick from both ends of the candle. It hadn't helped with the fact that Kagura was nearing her due date… and now Tooru being pregnant…

He raised a hand, trying to rub his own weariness out of his eyes. The early evening light shone down the dim hallways, illuminating his profile. He had been so engrossed with what he was doing earlier that he didn't even realize how late it had become. It was really very frustrating. Even after literally turning the whole room upside down since the past week, his search still yielded no results.

Momiji would definitely be upset with him. He asked the younger man to stay with Yuki until he returned. Tooru went shopping for baby things with Kagura and Ayame that day, with a reluctant Kyou at tow of course… Hatsuharu was most likely with Akito again… Kisa was in school… So it was unlikely that anyone passed by to relieve him.

Even though Rin never showed herself again since that night, he still wasn't comfortable with leaving Yuki alone even for a single minute. It was probably just his dog-like nature overreacting, but still, it was better safe than sorry. It wasn't too much of an adjustment since Tooru and/or Ayame were always there in the first place. It was only during days like today that make the situation rather complicated.

It was rather difficult to convince Momiji the importance guarding Yuki 24-hours a day, while omitting the important "variables" in his reasoning. He clearly doubted that despite Momiji's easy-going nature, the younger man would stay that long even to just humour him. Besides, he told the rabbit that he would only be gone a few minutes.

Unfortunately, his "few minutes" ended five hours ago.

"Ah, well, it can't be helped, so there's no use worrying about it," Shigure said out loud to nobody in particular

Besides, there were other more pressing matters to worry about.

He stopped in front of a familiar doorway and crossed his arms over his chest, his forehead wrinkling in hesitation. Before Momiji, Hatori would definitely give him a severe tongue-lashing once the writer reveals the Rin "incident" this late. He thought he could handle it on his own before things got more complicated, but it was obvious that it was impossible now.

The only other person who knew about that object was Hatori. So, more than ever, he needed Hatori's help. The dog made an involuntary wince. He'll probably get a separate tongue-lashing for being careless about that other thing too. He slumped his shoulders and let out another long sigh as he made his way through the office door.

"Ya, Ha-san!" Shigure greeted cheerfully and poked his head through the door

"What do you want?" The doctor's monotonous voice state curtly, not bothering to look up from the paper work he was sifting through on his desk

"That's cold! And here I was, thinking that by coming here I'll give you would like a well-deserved enjoyable distraction," Shigure replied in mock pain

"Unlike some people, there are persons who take their work seriously," Hatori snapped

Shigure frowned. The dragon seemed to be even more stressed out than usual today. Though the doctor looked like his normal neat self, there were unmistakable dark circles under his bloodshot eyes. Despite his habit, Hatori was never really what one would call a chain-smoker. Thus, the full ashtray on his desk and the empty cigarette packets on the wastebasket stuck out to the writer like a sore thumb.

Automatically, the writer took his cigarette packet from his pocket and offered the open box to the other man. Hatori stopped and gratefully took a stick that he automatically lit and puffed like a drowning man offered a life-saving floating device.

"Are you all right?" Shigure asked worriedly

"Right now, I'm wishing that I didn't listen to my practical sensibilities back in high school regarding getting into med school," Hatori replied as he let out a long drag

"That bad, huh?" Shigure grinned as he idly took one of the documents that his cousin was pouring over, his eyes widening upon realizing what's written on it, "Kagura?"

The doctor snatched the paperwork from the writer's hand, "You shouldn't be reading other people's confidential files."

"Hatori, what's this about? Is there something wrong with Kagura?" The writer demanded

The doctor sighed, "Kagura was showing early symptoms of preeclampsia. These are just results from the routine blood work I sent to the hospital. It's nothing serious… yet. She'll be fine as long as she watches her diet and don't over-exert herself. She's not going to like it, but if bad comes to worse, I simply order complete bed rest."

"That's a relief," Shigure let out an open breath of relief at the dragon's words, before letting an impish smile to touch his lips, "Though, I don't think I can say the same thing about Kyou."

"So what was it that you wanted?" Hatori asked again, in a more courteous tone, as he fixed the papers scattered on his desk

Shigure lit his own cigarette before settling to take a seat, "How's Akito?"

Hatori raised a surprised eyebrow, "What?"

"How's Akito?" Shigure repeated again

"He's the same," Hatori replied

"How 'the same'?" Shigure asked blandly

"He still won't be capable of making any threats to anyone, if that's what you want to hear," Hatori answered, "You know that he's started to be like this since Yuki's wedding. "

Shigure sank into his seat and closed his eyes… Yuki and Tooru's wedding… all of them braced themselves for that. They made elaborate plans and preparations, expecting Akito's wrath to fall on them. As much as he hated to admit it, he was terrified shitless of what could have happened. He'd already seen what Akito was capable of doing.

But at the same time, he couldn't let Yuki and Tooru go through what's supposed to be the happiest day of their lives with that fear over their heads. True and eternal love… God only knows how much he dreamed of it. Though he couldn't attain it for himself, he wasn't about to let any more of his cousins go through what he, Hatori, or Ayame went through all just because on the whim of a spoiled little brat.

It's funny though… Akito's wrath never fell.

In fact, since Yuki and Tooru's wedding, Akito was never the same. Isolating himself… withdrawing into himself… becoming a mere shadow of himself… shifting interchangeably between quick periods of sanity and insanity. As cruel as it may sound, it was a blessing in disguise. They have, after all, acquired a form of relative freedom.

Kyou was released from his prison and Kagura was able to chain him into a more pleasurable jail sentence. Ironically, it was Yuki who became an acting figurehead for the Souma Family in Akito's behalf. But since Yuki's illness, the responsibilities were irrevocably and informally passed down to Shigure, as Yuki's official power-of-attorney…. a responsibility, to everyone's exasperation, that the writer had been skillfully running away from.

It was a miracle that the Souma Family still existed.

"What brought this up?" Hatori's voice inquired, breaking the writer's train of thoughts.

It was a valid question. After Akito had officially become a harmless loon, Shigure had pretty much avoided having to do anything with the deposed Family Head. The writer let out another sigh as he prepared himself for the inevitable tongue-lashing. "Rin visited Yuki one night last week."

The doctor gave the other man yet another surprised look, "Rin?"

Shigure watched his cousin's face cautiously before daring to speak, "She tried to disconnect his respirator."

He made an involuntary flinch as he noticed the doctor's gray eyes flash darkly. "This happened last week? Why wasn't I told?"

"Because it wasn't what she did that was important, it's why she did it," Shigure stated calmly before taking a long drag from his cigarette

"What!?" Hatori's quiet voice boomed clearly in the room, as he gave his cousin a look of disbelief

"Ne, do you remember that conversation in the library that New Year when Yuki danced for the first time?" Shigure asked, ignoring the doctor's reaction

"This is serious Shigure, why didn't you tell me right away? She could have killed him," Hatori demanded, his voice slowly rising angrily

"Do you remember Souma Iwaku's version of the Jyuunishi legend?" Shigure repeated more insistently

"Yes, what has that got to do with this?" Hatori retorted irritably

"Rin knows about it," Shigure stated bluntly

The dragon froze and gave the dog another incredulous look, "What? How?"

"She said that Akito told him," The dog replied, "Hatori… she was terrified. Whatever it is that Akito said, she was freaked out to the point that she was willing to kill Yuki for it."

"Akito told her… That's impossible," Hatori slowly shook his head before abruptly getting on his feet to pace around the room as he puffed more tenaciously on his half-smoked cigarette.

"I know that Akito has been mumbling incoherent nonsense most of the time… but what if for some miracle, during one of his lapses of… reason… Akito managed to get a hold of that diary? I've been searching the library all week and could not find a trace or shadow of that book. I know I should have followed your advice and burned it… but it's family history. I was sure I hid it where no one can find it… but it just... disappeared…"

"That's impossible," Hatori insisted as he continued his pacing

"Eh? Ha-san?" Shigure blinked upon realizing that the tongue-lashing he expected was not going to happen, "Ha-san? Are you all right? What's the matter?"

"That's just impossible… there is no way for Akito to be able to know that," the dragon continued firmly, though for some strange reason, it sounded more as if he's trying to convince himself

"But that's the only logical explanation, right? How else can you explain the diary disappearing and Akito knowing all this?" Shigure replied uncertainly, as he got on his feet, "Ha-san? Why is it impossible?"

"It's impossible for Akito or anyone else to know it…" Hatori spun around and faced the other man, "…because after the party, I went back and burned that damned book,"

Shigure's eyes widened in silent disbelief as his cousin's words registered in his mind. But before he could make any other reaction, Hatori's office door burst open to reveal Momiji's flushed face as he bent down, desperately trying to catch his breath.

"Momichi?" Shigure stared at the younger man in reply, "Momichi, what are you doing here? Didn't I tell you to stay with Yuki-kun until I got back?"

"Eh… eh… e-mergency…" Momiji managed to gasp between breaths, "…come… quick… Yuki…"

~~@~~

The young woman hummed softly to herself as she made her way down the Main House's old halls, carrying a vase of fresh flowers in one hand and fairly large shopping bag in the other. It had been a long and tiring day, though she was thankful that she wasn't as worn out as Kagura. It was a good thing both Kyou and Ayame were there to help them. Though she had to admit, Ayame's hyperactive pace was not very helpful in conserving their energy. Kagura's mood swings and Kyou's limited patience were also equally trying.

Still, it was a very nice day. She had fun looking at all the cute baby things, though they had to make an extra-conscious effort to steer away from the baby clothes in Ayame-'s presence. And despite Kagura and Kyou's petty bickering between Ayame's occasional teasing, she caught the tender expression on Kyou's face as Kagura showed him one cute item after the next. She couldn't help but feel a tiny bit envious though. She would have given anything to have Yuki beside her, and seeing that same expression on his face.

"It's all right Tooru," She cheerfully said out loud to herself, "You can show Yuki-kun all the things you bought in his ro---"

Her footsteps faltered and stopped, a strange and uneasy feeling suddenly washed over her as she neared her destination. She clutched the vase closer to her chest, as if warding off a cold chill. She hadn't experienced a cold premonitory feeling like this since… She clenched her teeth and forced herself to hasten her movements.

Her heart skipped a beat as the limited view of her husband's bed from the doorway came to eyeshot. She wasn't certain for sure, but she could have sworn… she could see the profile of a familiar slender build standing by her husband's bed. Can it be? It can't be her imagination. Please don't let it be her imagination! Tears started to pool in the corners of her eyes as she burst almost breathlessly through the door…

"YUKI-KU---!!!" Her voice caught in her throat and her eyes widened in incredulous shock as the scene before her registered in her mind.

Her husband, still lay, sleeping peacefully, and undisturbed on his bed. The person with the familiar slender build was not her imagination either. He stood by her husband's bed, his back turned to her, silently watching the sleeping young man. The vase of flowers slipped from her numb fingers and fragile crystal shattered loudly on the floor. Only then, did the figure seemed to have noticed her presence and slowly turned around. Her breath came in ragged gasps as she found herself staring into those identical, yet different, hypnotizing gray eyes.

He stared at her expressionlessly for a few moments before cocking his head to one side and giving her that familiar smile that never quite reached his eyes, "Good evening, Tooru-san…"

"G-good evening…" She managed to reply through her nervous and parched throat, "….Akito-san…"

To be continued…

~~@~~

AUTHOR'S SQUAWK:

For partial information on what the hell Shigure and Hatori were talking about, see "Jyuunishi Enkei no Monogatari", available in Fanfiction.net. Haaa… it's ironic that this random fic is quickly becoming a follow-up to "Monogatari"… even more ironic is the fact that "Monogatari" isn't even finished yet. GAAAAH! I'm going to finish that damn fic even if it kills me! ^_^.

Anywayz… the developments in this chapter completely took me by surprise, to be quite honest. I wasn't planning on bringing Akito out so early… Actually, this isn't my original chapter four! (That chapter is now shoved aside to appear on chapter seven… I guess. Unless any last minute changes occurs again.). It's just that when I started typing this, it just started to get a life of its own! Ah well… Next chapter is definite spoilage for "Monogatari". I'll try to finish that fic first, but if the muses fail to inspire me with that, I'll just continue with "Fumei" anyway. I hope everyone is enjoying this fic so far… because I sure am enjoying writing it! Who knew that not knowing where the story is headed for next can be so much fun? ^_^. I just hope I don't loose my focus…

Time for a brief medical lecture! I'm putting it on layman's terms to make it easier to understand! ^_^.

Preeclampsia is an abnormal condition during pregnancy that occurs roughly 7-8 months in the term. The main concern with preeclampsia is the high blood pressure, abnormally high protein levels, and water retention that can lead to many complications. Problems include… kidney problems, water collecting in the lungs (that can lead to nasty stuff like pneumonia), brain hemorrhage, and health problems for the unborn baby. The biggest complication that doctors want to avoid with preeclampsia is the condition leading to eclampsia which is VERY VERY serious. How serious? Both mom and baby can die. Usually, when that occurs, birth has to be either induced or a cesarean operation has to be done. Baby is still a preemie, but it increases both mom and baby's survival.

Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com

Ja!
Ina-chan