Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fumei no Musubi ❯ Chapter 06 ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries.

April 28, 2003

Fumei no Musubi: Chapter Six

By Ina-chan

"…I would appreciate it if you came. Tooru-kun has been refusing to leave his side. I know it's understandable, but with her condition... I know… I know, I'm sorry. I should have told you earlier…" The writer's voice filtered clearly in the quiet hallway, as he mindlessly tapped his index finger against the public phone against the wall, "We're still waiting for the doctor and the test results. Yes… he's had two or three more since we arrived… So you'll come right away? Yes, I know… I already said sorry, didn't I? I won't do it again. Well, then… I'll see you in bit… Ja!"

Shigure hung up the phone and took a deep sigh. It was very rare to see Ayame seriously angry. It was even more rare to see Ayame seriously angry with him!

On top of that… He hated being here. The long pale green corridors… the dull and muted lighting… the sickening antiseptic smell. Unfortunately, of course, there was no helping it. Hatori sent Yuki to the hospital for further tests immediately after that first seizure. The sleeping mouse has had several more within the past 8 hours. It wasn't just the fact that he disliked anything related to illness and injections... there was also the fact that they're risking the Souma Family secret simply by bringing Yuki here.

He stopped in front of Room 532. The room housing a special case, wherein specific trusted male-only staff, were hired to care for the person staying there. That's one of the frills of being a major founder of a hospital… special treatment and extreme cooperation of the staff and board of directors. But the paranoia of Yuki suddenly transforming as a result of a million and one scenarios that can go wrong settled uncomfortably in the pit of his stomach. Yet, it wasn't just the danger of discovery. If Yuki were to transform now, it would surely mean his death. And to make things worse, Hatori was not there.

It was a totally unprecedented move by his overly cautious cousin... as a matter of fact, Hatori was the cause to why Yuki was brought back to the main house almost immediately after the last desperate attempts the doctors in the hospital did to attempt to save his younger cousin's life. Hatori literally breathed down the hospital staff's necks, to ensure he was nearby just in case Yuki had a sudden transformation. However… for some strange reason… Hatori sent the writer in his stead this time. Come to think of it, Hatori seemed distracted in their last telephone conversation. But the doctor skillfully evaded any inquiries Shigure made relating to why he was not attending to Yuki personally.

He finally opened the door and found her almost exactly how he left her. The blanket over her shoulders was now a puddle lump on the floor. It probably slid off when she shifted in her sleep. Other than that, there was no other evidence of movement. She sat there, dozing on a chair by her husband's bedside, her cheek resting over their twined fingers. The writer made another sigh. Since they left the Main House, she hasn't let go of his hand even for a brief moment. With almost paternal care, he gently fixed the blanket over the younger woman's shoulders. She stirred at the action, before sitting up to rub her eyes.

"Ah! I'm sorry," Shigure quickly apologized, "I didn't mean to wake you."

"I should be the one to say that," Tooru replied as she gave the writer a tired smile, "I'm sorry for rudely dozing off like that."

"If it were up to me, Tooru-kun will be back at home, resting," Shigure sighed in exaggerated exasperation, "Unfortunately, this old man becomes powerless under the teary-eyed gaze of pretty young women."

"Shigure-san, don't be so silly!" Despite of herself, the young woman let out a soft laugh, before her features sobered to a more serious expression, "Anou… was Shigure-san able to talk to the doctor looking after Yuki-kun?"

The writer shook his head, "Not yet, but I did manage to talk to Ha-san. He said that he talked his colleague. As soon as they finish going over the MRI results, we should hear from them soon…"

"I see…" Tooru replied with a small frown as she instinctively tightened her fingers with her husband's

"Tooru-kun… if Ha-san trusts this person about the Souma Family curse, I'm sure we can do the same…" Shigure said reassuringly

"It's not that…" The young woman replied with a shake of her head, "It's just that… everything has been so strange. Hatori-san seems so unnaturally distant with this particular situation… I don't want to think about it that way… but it almost feels as if he's hiding something."

Shigure frowned, as that knot of apprehension in his stomach tightened even more. Even Tooru can sense the doubts that his suspicious nature has been trying hard not to entertain…

"And there's also what happened with Akito-san…" Tooru added softly, her voice falling into a soft whisper as she turned to the older man, almost pleadingly, "Shigure-san… does Akito-san really have that kind of power?"

Shigure blinked at the young woman's odd question, "Power? What do you mean?"

Tooru lowered her eyes, the fingers of her free hand instinctively touching her left cheek. "Back at that time… in the summer house… Akito-san said that he was someone equivalent to God… he said… he said that he controlled the souls of all the Jyuunishi… Does Akito-san really…. have such power? Could Akito-san have done thi-"

"That's nonsense," Shigure interrupted with a deep frown.

The young woman bowed her head and clasped her husband's hand tightly, "I couldn't say it to Hatori-san. But when Akito-san visited Yuki-kun… before this happened… Akito-san was saying something strange..."

The older man's eyes widened in alarm, "What do you mean?"

Tooru lifted her eyes to face him, "Akito-san said that God didn't want the mouse to be one of the twelve… and that the mouse tricked the cat to protect him. And the way he was talking to Yuki-kun… it was as if he was talking to someone else."

It felt as if his heart at stopped upon hearing her words. He felt numb as his mind struggled against his racing thoughts. This only confirmed his suspicions. Still, he couldn't help but wish that he had mistaken what Rin said as his own paranoia… Akito really did know. For some strange inexplicable reason… Akito knew. When? How? How could Akito have known that secret he discovered and Hatori destroyed eleven years ago?

"Shigure-san?" Tooru's voice pulled him back to reality, "What did Akito-san mean by that?"

Her eyes were wide and pleading. Immediately, the words Hatori spoke in the library eleven years ago blared loudly in his mind. This version of the Jyuunishi legend seemed much more than just a coincidence… and who knows what the consequences were if this version got out and people started to believe it. But she deserved to know… If that particular legend and Akito has something to do with what was happening to Yuki now… she deserved to know.

Unfortunately… he didn't know what to tell her either…

"Tooru-kun, Akito has been ill for a very long time," Shigure finally explained kindly, "Sometimes, he says things that only makes sense to himself."

He saw the look of disappointment in her eyes, before she turned away. "That may be so… but I'm scared, Shigure-san…" The young woman's voice stated softy… her shoulders shaking, as she fought against the tightness in her throat, "Since Akito-san's visit… it almost seemed as if Yuki-kun is desperately struggling against... something… I think it's making him suffer… He's suffering and there's nothing I can do. I can't even hold him just to let know that I'm here…"

He watched her silently. All this time, she was trying so hard to look strong and walking around with a big silly smile on her face. It was heartbreaking to see her like this. He started to reach out to put a comforting touch over the couple's hands.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry for interrupting," A familiar voice called out from the doorway, "But I need to see my patient."

Shigure turned around to face the newcomer, and his eyes widened in surprise when he realized who it was.

"Kana-san…" Tooru stated aloud, bearing the same reaction that Shigure had, before the writer could utter the name himself.

This time, it was the female doctor turned to Tooru in surprise, "I'm sorry… Tooru-san, isn't it? I don't believe we've met yet…"

"Ah, Kana-cha… Kana-sensei was such an impressive student that Ha-san continues to talk about you with such high regard," The writer interrupted almost immediately

Kana gave the writer a hearty chuckle, a slight but noticeable flush lighting her cheeks, "Shigure-kun… there's no need for formalities. We've known each other for some time, and we are family after all. And you're giving much more praise than I deserve."

"Kana-chan still hasn't changed one bit," Shigure grinned, " But why else would Ha-san leave Yuki-kun in your hands, if you weren't capable?"

The doctor ducked her head in embarrassment, "Frankly… I was very surprised when Hatori called me. I was in a bit of a shock when I reviewed Yuki-san's medical records. I don't understand why Hatori insisted that I handle his case, when it was clear that a more experienced specialist would be more appropriate. Unless… " With that, her expression changed into a more serious look, "Shigure-san… Yuki-san is one of the 'Inner' Soumas, isn't he?"

Tooru's eyes widened in silent surprise as she watched the scene unfolding before her. The uncomfortable silence that followed made the soft beeping of the monitors in the room blare like sirens. Shigure's own quiet and controlled voice rumbled like deafening thunder, "Don't belittle your own abilities like that, SENSEI. It's very insulting to Ha-san's judgment."

The young doctor was shocked at at his words. Of the short time that she knew him, she never heard him speak that way. Or see that serious, unreadable expression on his face. Though he didn't answer her question, his reaction confirmed it. The Souma family held so many secrets…

Her expression softened as she gazed at her patient's wife. At one point in her life, she was actually willing to be part of one of those secrets, to be in the same position as the young woman before her. But now, seeing the pain reflected in Tooru's eyes… she doesn't think she could have been that strong. It was probably her saving grace her pursuit for love back then was a one-sided race.

"Ye-yes…" With a small pacified but sardonic smile, she turned back to the writer and immediately bowed her head apologetically, "I'm sorry. I've forgotten my boundaries as an outsider." With that she made her way towards the sleeping young man, "Saa… if you don't mind, I'd like to assess my patient."

"If it's not bother," Tooru began, giving the other woman a pleading look, "I'd like to stay."

"It's not a bother," The doctor replied, smiling at the younger woman reassuringly, "But I assumed that Tooru-san would take this opportunity to take a break. To get some tea or coffee, perhaps."

The young woman shook her head vigorously as she clutched her husband's hand even tighter with both of hers, "No. I'm fine. I would rather stay here with Yuki-kun."

Kana automatically looked at Shigure, who at that point returned to his usual easy-going demeanor and simply made a small shrug, "It's hopeless. I already tried."

"I suppose it can't be helped," The doctor sighed in defeat, before looking up with a small glint in her eye, "But there's no need for Shigure-kun to stay. Perhaps you could get some tea or coffee for Tooru-san from the cafeteria."

Shigure raised an eyebrow at her non-verbal cue, but gave in to the doctor's request. He made a small dismissive wave as he turned around to leave the room once again, "Saa, saa! Just make sure you two don't fall into a round of girl talk while you're at it. Yuki-kun may be in a coma, but he's not deaf. We can't have him bored to death after hanging on for so long…"

"EH!?!?"

"MOU! Shigure-kun! What a mean thing to say!"

The writer let out a playful chuckle as he immediately ran out to the safety of the hallways. It wasn't until he was a short distance away, in the vicinity of the payphone booths, that he allowed the expression on his face to fall.

To get Kana involved with them again… What was going on? Hatori would never involve her with the Jyuunishi… unless he had no choice. That ball of apprehension in the pit of his stomach tightened once more as he immediately went to the payphones and dialed the number to Hatori's office.

"Gure-san? Is that you?" The voice in the other line immediately called out after the phone was picked up before the first ring even finished

"A-ya? What are you doing there? I thought you were on your way here," Shigure replied in complete surprise

"How is Yuki doing?" Ayame asked frantically, completely ignoring what the writer said

"Yuki?" Shigure answered, "He's been the same since the last time we spoke."

"Thank God! I was about to rush there just as Tori-san's phone rang," Ayame babbled in relief

"A-ya, what are YOU doing in Ha-san's office?" Shigure stressed impatiently

"It's total chaos here right now, so I'll tell you everything when I get there," Ayame replied, "Just stay put with Yuki and Tooru-kun. I'll be right over."

"What? Total chaos? What is going on there?" Shigure frowned

"Eh? You didn't know?" Ayame paused, "Didn't Tori-san tell you? Ah… Tori-san probably didn't want Tooru-kun to worry."

The writer rubbed his throbbing forehead, "A-ya… Tooru-kun and I have been here with Yuki-kun all afternoon… and no, Ha-san didn't say anything. What the hell is going on there?"

"I just found out myself when I got here. Tori-san has been trying to keep it from happening as long as possible," The snake continued grimly, "But it would seem that it's inevitable."

"A-ya!" Shigure almost yelled at the phone, the knot in the pit of his stomach was starting to make him feel nauseated

"Kagura is in active labour," Ayame finally stated

"What? But that's impossible. Kagura is still two months prema---…" Shigure's eyes widened as his voice trailed

/…it almost seemed as if Yuki-kun is desperately struggling against... something…/

'CODE BLUE, FIFTH FLOOR, ROOM 532. CODE BLUE, FIFTH FLOOR, ROOM 532'

"Gure-san? Gure-san, are you still there? Gure-san?" Ayame's voice called out anxiously from the abandoned receiver, swinging helplessly in the air

/…Yuki-kun is desperately struggling against... something…/

Tooru's earlier words pounded loudly in his mind as he fought his way through the quickly gathering chaos, keeping him away from his destination.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't let you in there," A staff said apologetically as he blocked the doorway.

From the crack of the doorway, he could see Kana and several staff working around his prone cousin, Tooru sobbing loudly and still holding on to her husband's hand as if her very life depended on in. He watched the scene run in front of him detached, as if in a deep trance.

'-BP - 180/99-'

'-heart rate - 160-'

'-arrhyth-'

'-it's no use-'

'-et the defib---'

/…Yuki-kun is desperately struggling... /

'-TOORU-SAN, PLEASE LET GO AND WAIT OUTSIDE!'

'IYAAAAAAAAA!!!'

The sound of her scream immediately snapped him out of his reverie as he pushed against the male nurse blocking his way.

"SIR! YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE!" The staff held the writer by the shoulders, keeping him at bay

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!" Shigure suddenly growled dangerously, eyes flashing with a murderous glint, immediately causing the staff to freeze with a start. The writer took the opportunity to squeeze through and rush by Tooru's side. Kana gave him a pleading look, and the dog nodded in agreement. He quickly held the young woman by the shoulders and gently tried to pull her to her feet.

Tooru cried out in protest , shaking her head, keeping herself literally bolted to her seat with almost inhuman strength

The older man immediately reached out to unlatch the young woman's hands and froze, immediately understanding his cousin's wife's unusual clingy behavior. For the first time since his cousin fell ill…

…Yuki's hand was as cold as ice.

/Shigure, for as long as possible/

"No…" Shigure whispered as he turned to stare at his cousin's pallid form in disbelief, "Yuki-kun, you've been fighting against impossible odds all this time, don't you DARE give up now!"

"Shigure-kun! Please!"

/Even if it just saves one Souma child from suffering the same fate…/

"I kept my end of the bargain, you better keep yours," The dog continued as he towered over his cousin, ignoring Kana's restraining tone, "Kagura needs you to keep fighting, Yuki. Don't let her down."

/…Do it for as long as possible…/

"Yuki-kun… Yuki… please, don't give up yet. Give me more time. I promise to break it. But I need more time. Don't let this happen all over again…" Shigure whispered harshly as he bent down to whisper directly to Yuki's ear, "…please… don't leave us all over again…"

/One after the other they arrived to the banquet that God prepared for them… /

"…Yukino…"

/One after the other, they fell…/

The only things running in his mind were random words and a feeling of desperation. He couldn't allow Yuki to die. Something deep inside of him that he couldn't explain, won't allow it. He lost awareness of everything else. Of how long he stayed like that, bent over his cousin… of the other people in the room… of even what he said. He almost jumped out of his skin… literally… when he suddenly felt a warm hand resting on his shoulder. He looked up and saw Kana looking at him in almost reverent awe.

"Shigure-kun…" Kana whispered softly, "What did you do?"

"What?" Shigure blinked at her. It was only then that he realized that the other occupants of the room, even Tooru, were all looking at him strangely. Beads of sweat lined his forehead, "I didn't do anything…"

"Well… whatever it was… it worked," Kana finally said, her eyes wandering to the numbers on the bedside monitor. She turned to the staff nearest to the door, "Cancel the code." As soon as the room was cleared of the other hospital staff, she ran her fingers through her hair with a sigh before giving Shigure a curious look, "I don't understand what just happened, so I'll just consider it another one of the Inner Souma's mysterious secrets."

"Kana-chan… what exactly happened?" The writer asked in bewilderment

"My first instinct would be to say… we just witnessed Yuki-san having a form of a heart attack… as to what caused it… I don't know, yet," Kana replied almost mournfully, "Since I can't move Yuki-san to ICU, I'll have a constant stand by for the next 24 hours, just in case. If you'll excuse me, I'll come back as soon as I can." She gave Tooru a reassuring smile before bowing down politely and leaving.

"Shigure-san…" Tooru's voice said quietly as soon as the doctor left the room, "…thank you."

Shigure sighed, "…but I didn't do anything."

"Yukino," The young woman stated in a louder voice, her gaze turning inward

"Eh!?" The writer's eyes widened in surprise as he spun around to face her

"That's her name, isn't it?" Tooru said as she turned to the older man, tears starting to fill her eyes once again, "The vengeful spirit of the nezumi-ishi. Yuki-kun is struggling against her, isn't he?"

He could only stare at her blankly as she looked back at her, expectantly waiting for his answer. He bit his cheek and reached out to rest a consoling hand on top of the young woman's head. Her lips quivered. The writer felt panic rising from within him, anticipating her tears. Instead, he found himself gaping in numb horror as the young woman's head lolled forward, with the rest of her body following, and spilling into an lifeless undignified heap on the floor.

To be continued…

~~@~~

AUTHOR'S SQUAWK:

This chapter definitely DID NOT turn out the way I expected it to be. Just as a reference… please see "Jyuunishi Enkei no Monogatari" for details on some of those "word" flashbacks, if you haven't read that fic yet. This fic is actually somewhat a sequel to that fic. That's all…

Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com

Ja!
Ina-chan