Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Furuba Love Stories ❯ Yuki and Hana ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Fruits Basket.
Chapter 10: Hana and Yuki
Setting: After school one day in the Student Council Office
Yuki diligently flipped through the nominations for new Student Council that sat on the desk before him. It was customary for the outgoing President to oversee the elections for the following year, since his viewpoint was supposed to be objective. Fortunately, a few of the promising candidates were serious about the job, hopefully having been inspired by all the work they had finally gotten done this year. Even Kimi's little sister, who was running for Treasurer, seemed to have her head on straight. Yuki placed her name on the master list to his right and picked up the stack of nominations, tapping it neatly on the tabletop to make the papers fall together. Then he locked them in the drawer set aside for elections and moved on to the graduation forms.
Light knocking came from the door just as he began scanning the top sheet of paper. "Yes?" he called out. "Come in." His face paled a bit at the entrance of three all-too-familiar hungry-eyed girls. Smiling, Yuki stood to greet the Prince Yuki Fan Club leaders. "Hello, Miss Kinoshita, Miss Yamagishi, Miss Gotou. Is there anything I can help you with?"
Minami Kinoshita came to stand in front of her two underlings, her high pigtails seeming out of place with her devilish expression. "Yuki, we want to make sure we get our place of honor at the graduation ceremony. This is our last chance to show our support of the great Prince Yuki Sohma, and we will stand by your side and protect you from unworthy girls!" As she spoke, Minami's fist came up, her voice grew more intense, and she and the other two girls approached Yuki from all sides, surrounding him at his desk.
Not knowing quite what to do, he glanced from girl to girl with wide eyes. They had never been this direct with their requests before, but he assumed that in the final days of attending school with him they were getting frantic. Now he was cornered by them, alone, and everyone else at the school had already gone home. Sighing, he tried to calm them. "I really have no control over where people sit at graduation. I have to be up front, on the dais, but everyone else is seated by homeroom. If you want to change that, you have to consult the principal, not me." He had hoped that explaining that would suffice them, but he wasn't surprised when they moved closer. Sometimes keeping his cool around them was taxing.
"Yuki!" Mai Gotou said, pushing her way in front of Minami, who gave her a death glare. "But you shouldn't have to be up there all alone! What if crazy girls try to maul you while you are giving your speech?"
He considered telling them right then that the only crazy fan girls he was worried about was they, but he knew it would only make the situation worse. Instead, he opened his mouth to continue pacifying them. "Really, I'm sure that-"
Shrill screams interrupted Yuki's sentence and his thoughts as he watched the three girls grab their heads and jump to look at the doorway. Saki Hanajima stood there, eyes fixated on her targets as snaps of electrical noise buzzed and glowing purple whips radiated around her.
All three girls screamed even louder at the sight of her, all jumbling together rants about the "scary electrical girl" and stumbling over each other to reach the door. Hana watched with a blank expression as they left, waiting several seconds before ceasing her high voltage barrage. "Those girls never learn," Hana said in his general direction.
Grateful, Yuki smiled at Tohru's close friend. "I thank you, Miss Hanajima. They were a bit…overbearing today." As he sat back down in his seat, he tried to make himself appear more comfortable. He and Saki had always been civil, but never close. "I didn't think anyone was still at the school."
"Oh, I was in the principal's office to discuss my grades."
Yuki waited for her to add to her explanation, but all he received was an unblinking stare. "Hmm," he began, trying to think of something to talk about. "Are you doing well in class?"
"No." Again Hana didn't elaborate. She simply sat down in the chair on the other side of the desk and continued her staring. Feeling a little uncomfortable, Yuki was going to try initiating conversation again when she did it for him. "I can tell that you don't regard Tohru romantically any longer."
He certainly wasn't prepared for a proclamation like that. Small sounds infiltrated his throat as he searched for a response. "Any longer?"
"Yes, that is what I said. I'm not sure that's a good move for you, though. It seems to me that you need a close romantic relationship at this time. Your waves would be much more stable."
"What?" he asked softly, trying to process his thoughts. "How did you know something like that?"
Hana began smoothing out her velvety black skirt with delicate fingers. "I didn't," she told him, "but your reaction proves that I was right in my guess."
"Miss Hanajima, there are things that you don't know about, extenuating circumstances that make a relationship like the one you speak of impossible. I don't really think that I'm able to commit like that right now, and that wouldn't be fair. Besides, I don't have anyone in mind and I wouldn't want to hurt Miss Honda's feelings. She's dearly important to me."
A gentle smile formed on Hana's lips as she leaned closer to the desk. "Who said anything about commitment? I meant that you need a romantic connection with someone, not get married. Hmm…." Her eyes narrowed thoughtfully. "As for Tohru, don't you think that she'll be happy for you if you are in turn happy? My Tohru is the type of person who wants those that she cares for to feel as much love as they can."
Yuki had to nod in agreement. "You're right, Miss Honda is like that, but even if she did approve of my dating someone, there isn't anyone that I have in mind." He realized that he was being rude to just brush aside her advice, though. "I'm sorry, Miss Hanajima. I didn't mean to throw out your suggestions, because it's kind of you to worry about me. I suppose I just never thought of that, really, at least not with anyone except Miss Honda. I'm not sure I'd know where to look," he finished with an apologetic smile.
Silently, Saki rose to her feet and glided around to Yuki's side of the desk. "Yes, that is a problem." His eyes widened visibly as Hana bent down until her face was level with his own. "But perhaps looking isn't as much the issue as realizing is." At that Hana moved closer, pressing her lips purposefully over his.
Stunned didn't even begin to describe Yuki's feelings; Saki Hanajima was the last person on Earth he expected to kiss. If he had known in advance that he would be kissed, he would have bet his entire life savings on it being one of the girls from the Fan Club, but never this! And yet here she was, and she couldn't be ignored. Yuki slowly closed his eyes, increasing his awareness of the act as he did. Hana's lips were hard to characterize, almost like rose petals in texture, but warm and tart tasting. There was something else, too, something he couldn't quite put his finger on until he thought about the girl that he was kissing. She was using her abilities! Sure enough, when he concentrated on it, he could feel the almost undetectable generation of tingling electricity coursing through the space between their mouths. It was unlike anything he had ever felt before in his life, and it made his brain not function properly like he was used to. He discovered that he was enchanted by this unforeseen kiss and he couldn't keep his lips from returning affections that were being shown to him.
Yuki leaned forward involuntarily as Hana broke the kiss; he didn't want it to end. Ever. All he could do was gape as she straightened and cleared her throat. "Think on that, Yuki," she said without mockery or jest in her tone. Then she whipped her floating cascade of hair over her shoulder and strode out of the room, never missing a beat. Why had Saki Hanajima…? It was too much for him to comprehend and he knew it, so he leaned back in his chair and unfocused his eyes. An unstoppable blush was overcoming Yuki's face, but he couldn't do anything about it, and frankly he didn't care.
A/N: Yea, more attempts at fluff without angst. I like how this one turned out. When I started, I wasn't quite sure where I was going or why I decided to use this pairing, but it grew on me as the story came together. Go figure…. I hope you liked it anyway! Please let me know with a review!