Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Is This Love? ❯ I Wanted You To Love Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Neko no baka!”
 
“Nezu no baka!”
 
“It's your fault!”
 
“No it isn't! It's not my fault your body loves me!”
 
“Shut up baka ne!” Yuki screamed and stormed out of the room, making sure not to waste any more breath on the worthless neko. Kyo gazed after the young nezu and bit his bottom lip, how was it that the youth admitted to have an attraction, but then got mad when he asked more about it. Kyo walked to a small mirror he kept on the wall next to his mat and stared at himself questioningly. Was it a physical attraction? Or…personal? It was all he had asked. Kyo turned away from the mirror and sat on his mat. He held his head in his hands and sighed.
 
“Well what did he want me to say?” he sulked.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
“Kyo-kun…I have something I want- no, need to tell you.” The youth murmured, a light pink haze forming on his pale cheeks.
 
“Un?” Kyo managed, wondering why the boy was so flustered all of a sudden. Yuki gave a small gulp.
 
“Kyo-kun…I um…In recent weeks, it's become apparent to me that I…I…”
 
“Hurry up, what is it?” Yuki's violet prisms stared at him softly, he looked almost like he was in pain.
 
“Kyo-kun…I-I have an attraction to you…” the boy hid his face with his hand, trying to hide the sheer embarrassment of confessing such a disgusting thing.
 
Kyo stared at him blankly, suddenly saying, “Is it physical or personal?”
 
The young nezu stared at the orange haired neko, at the expression on his face. He suddenly felt his embarrassment leave him, replaced with the familiar hatred of the useless neko. Is that all he can say? Is that all he's interested in?! Filthy youkai!
 
“Neko no baka! How dare you ask me that!”
 
“NANI?! What the hell have I done wrong?!”
 
“All you can think about is that part of your anatomy! You're so disgusting!”
 
“Where the hell did THAT come from?!”
 
“Typical hormone-driven teenage boy, you're so stereotypical!”
 
“Yeah well YOU wouldn't know what it feels like! You're a freakin' GIRL!”
 
Yuki wanted to punch him in the face, or kick him in the balls, whichever caused more pain. But then there was that nagging feeling, the feeling in the pit of his stomach whenever he and Kyo fought. Kyo, when he was angry, was greatly appealing to the young nezu. He seemed strong, full of life. Even though he had a room temperature IQ, Kyo made him tingle. Yuki realised his mask had faltered, so he frowned and started to shout. He planned on calling him an idiot a few times and storming out, it always seemed to work.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Yuki leaned on his door, thinking of how the neko affected him, his behaviour. He realised (now) that he had taken the question the wrong way, that he didn't give it enough thought. The thing that really annoyed him though, was the fact that Kyo didn't look in the least surprised. He would have thought he'd make a comment or something, but he merely asked that question, it somehow signalled to him that Kyo would only be interested after finding out the answer, one answer in particular. He perked up a bit when he realised the main point of what he was thinking. Is…Kyo homosexual? It was a question he'd been asking himself for a good few weeks, and now it seemed somewhat clearer. The boy didn't even flinch. A small smile graced Yuki's lips as he thought about it, but it died quickly as he faced another question, his mind had sill been thinking. Or is it that Kyo just knows about me…about…Yuki shook his head, Kyo (for many years) had called him homosexual and on many occasions referred to him as a `lady-boy'. It's not the insults that made him think, it's just that Yuki wasn't. He didn't think so anyway, this unusual feeling for Kyo had been developing for some time prior, but he didn't feel anything for other young men. Yuki held his face.
 
“What am I to do?” he asked himself wearily, giving a sigh and walking to the bed. He let himself fall on it and pulled the covers round him. He was fighting against the spirit of the Nezu, he knew very well he would find fault with whatever Kyo said or did, whether it be hostile or not.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kyo growled, he felt angry at the youth. Why does he always do that?! Damn, all I did was ask a question, and it wasn't particularly personal or anything…least I don't think so…then he starts ranting on about how much of a hormone-driven teenager I am! The nerve! Like he's never done anything, nooo he's too perfect for that! Bachiatari nezu! Kyo had been slowly boiling, thinking these thoughts (that were not-so uncommon) and getting more and more angry. He jumped up and marched out of his room, he was going to tell that baka what he meant by his question, he was going to correct him and then he was going to make him admit he was wrong. He slammed Yuki's door open and took a few steps inside. Yuki wasn't paying attention; he barely realized the door had been opened. He turned to face the neko with a face of stone and cold eyes.
 
“Neko no baka…you're supposed to knock.”
 
“You mean I'm supposed to give a damn, but I don't and that's life!”
 
“Did you come here for a reason? Or are you just bent on making my life misery?”
 
“Shut the hell up! I came here to explain my question, cause you took it the WRONGEST way.”
 
(Ah, so I was wrong…he could be lying though, there's a greater chance of that than him actually coming in to explain things to me…unless he wants me to admit I'm wrong.)
 
“…well don't stand there staring at me like a fish, explain to me.” Kyo nodded and walked over to the bed, sitting behind Yuki.
 
“What I was asking was…well, there's physical attraction and there's personal attraction. Physical attraction is when you like someone because of the way they look or dress. Personal attraction is when you like someone because of who they are, what they act like and such.” The shy young neko put his head down. “I was just wondering if you had just had a physical attraction to me, or…you liked me cause of…me.”
 
Yuki's mouth dropped. Kyo had emphasized `just', which meant he wanted more than just physical attraction. Yuki put this down to so much rejection in his life, he wanted to be accepted for `who' he was not `what' he was.
 
“Kyo-kun…gomennasai.” Kyo's head shot up and he turned with a mortified face to look at the youth.
 
“You-you're apologizing?! What's wrong with you?! Are you sick?!” Yuki shook his head and took the young neko's hand in his, bringing it close to his chest. Kyo gulped.
 
“Do you feel the same way? Do you like me…in that sense?”
 
“Um, what sense?” the young neko was beginning to sweat, feeling the soft thin hand of his fellow youth.
 
“Kyo-kun…you truly are dense-”
 
“Oi!”
 
“-but anyway, what I mean is…do you share the feelings I have for you?” Kyo paled.
 
“Um…I uh…see the thing about that is…um…I uh…um…” Kyo saw the hopeful brightness in the nezu's eyes fade and he turned his face away, removing his hand from his.
 
“Gomen…I have homework to do so if you'd be so kind as to leave.”
 
Kyo wanted to say no, wanted to apologize and take the youth's soft warm hand in his own, but the look on the youth's face made him get up and walk away. It wasn't an angry look, or sad, in a way it was a disappointed look. He knew all too well though, that his young friend could mask his emotions quite efficiently. He sighed as he entered his own room once again; it felt so cold and empty. He felt wicked, for leaving him hanging like that. It was true that the neko had feelings for the nezu, but the spirit of the Neko wouldn't permit him to say it, at least not with much effort.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Yuki sat staring at his math homework, he couldn't help but let his eyes wander to the window every now and then, he couldn't concentrate. Kyo-kun doesn't like you, just get over it and do your schoolwork. That's what his mind was telling him, but his heart was telling him a very different story. It ached; he wanted to get rid of this retched pain. A thick lump in his throat constricted his breathing, a terrible feeling in the pit of his stomach made him want to wretch. In truth, the poor nezu just wanted to cry, but Kyo would surely hear him. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.
 
“Yare yare…” he closed his eyes.
 
It was then that his door opened, he was half expecting the orange neko to be standing there with an odd look on his face, but it was Shigure. Shigure smiled and walked over to Yuki, at his math homework.
 
“My my Yuki, this isn't like you! You've only done 4 sums from that page.” Yuki nodded.
 
“I know, I'm under stress…don't worry about me Shigure-san, I'm alright.” The inu peered at him and then placed his hand encouragingly on his shoulder.
 
“Don't worry Yuki-chan, I'm sure everything will be alright. If you ever need to talk I'm always around.” He said bowing his head.
 
The inu left Yuki to his studies, but Yuki didn't much like doing the homework at this point. Yuki left his desk to look out of the window, he would go to school tomorrow, only seeing him in registration and possibly break or lunch. He didn't want to avoid him entirely, but he didn't want him in his face all day.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
To Yuki's relief, he woke up late and missed Kyo, but this also meant he was late for school. He was sure that no one would mind him being late just one day. He hurried his walk to school, he was now more than a little late. He managed to arrive just before the bell signalling the end of break rang. Once he had settled into his work, he finally began to feel better, he had finally gotten his mind off of that neko. It was then that the classroom door opened, and that very same neko walked through the door. Yuki stared at him, at the serious and somewhat distressed look on his face.
 
“Sir? I hope you wouldn't mind if I took Sohma Yuki out of class for a while. It won't be long, it's a matter of urgency.” The teacher nodded and signalled Yuki to leave with him. Once the two had walked a little away from the classroom, Kyo stopped and stared in front of him.
 
“Yuki-kun…I have something I need to tell you.” Panic spread on Yuki's face.
 
“What's happened? Please tell me!” Kyo looked at him, with sincerity and appreciation.
 
The look somewhat surprised Yuki and caused him to stagger back a little. He stopped and stared at the neko, wondering if he was faking, whether he was planning something. It was then that Kyo advanced on him quickly, pushing him up harshly against the opposing wall, his face was so close to Yuki's, he rubbed his cheek against his.
 
He whispered gently, “Yuki-kun….Ai shiteru.” Yuki's eyes went wide as these words were said, words that his heart had yearned to hear for so long. Tears formed in his eyes and he embraced the neko, hugging him as hard as his strength would allow. Kyo also wrapped his arms around Yuki, nudging his nose into his head.
 
“Hai…Ai shiteru.” Yuki squeaked, his voice cracking from emotion.
 
“I couldn't say before. I'm…I'm sorry.” Yuki giggled through his sniffles of joy.
 
“Nani? What're you laughing at?”
 
“It's just that, you've broken two of your strongest personality traits in less than 2 minutes.” He giggled, his words muffled because his face was pressed into the neko's chest. He heard, and also felt Kyo chuckle himself.
 
In Yuki's mind, there was a cloud of doubt, something telling him that this wasn't right, that it wasn't real. Yuki pushed away from Kyo reluctantly and stared up at those beautiful amber eyes.
 
“Kyo-kun? I…this is a dream isn't it?” tears were springing to his eyes again.
 
“A dream? Nezu no baka! Of course it's not…”
 
Kyo leaned down ever so slightly, making it that they're lips were only inches apart. Yuki couldn't believe it, now more than ever, this neko had been horrible to him for most of his life, and yet now he decides that he will become a whole new different person? It didn't seem right, too good to be true. The neko half opened one eye and frowned at him.
 
“You were meant to lean forward too…” he said roughly. Yuki just blinked.
 
Kyo sighed and cupped his hand around Yuki's jaw, bringing his face to his own, his lips to his own. They kissed tenderly, Yuki had no idea that Kyo could be so gentle. Yuki responded to kiss and wrapped his arm around Kyo's broad shoulder. Kyo's gentle rapid breaths through his nose tickled Yuki's upper lip, to the point that he had to pull away for giggling.
 
“Ara?”
 
“I don't think you're meant to breathe through your nose…not like that anyway.” He said with a giggle. Kyo scowled at him.
 
“Oh really? Well then Mr `Expert at Kissing', show me how it's `supposed' to be done!”
 
Yuki's eyes softened, it really wasn't a dream. Kyo was still the same person, but he was trying desperately to impress and be more loving. Yuki leaned in and kissed Kyo, nipping his bottom lip and gently pushing his tongue against his teeth. Kyo opened his mouth, allowing entrance, almost immediately. Yuki smiled and kissed him passionately. He had never kissed anyone, but this felt so natural and too perfect to be wrong, Kyo certainly had no objections. When they parted for air, they were panting. Kyo gazed happily at Yuki.
 
“Okay, okay. So you are a great kisser, but I had to initiate it!” Yuki wasn't gazing back though, he was looking down.
 
Kyo took Yuki's chin and pulled his head up to look at him.
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“It's just…this is wrong…”
 
“The kiss? No! It was fantastic really! The best kiss I ever had…well the only kiss I ever had, but still the best!” Yuki smiled at his stupidity.
 
“I meant this-us! I'm the Nezu, you're the Neko…we aren't…supposed to-” Kyo stopped him talking by placing his finger on his lips.
 
“Nezu no baka….ai shiteru…that's all there is to it.” He pulled him close, so that his head was resting on his shoulder. “It doesn't matter….I'll love you no matter what…”
 
Yuki's body lost it's tension and almost went limp, but he still had his arms locked around Kyo's neck.
 
“Ai shiteru…no matter what…”
 
“That's right.” Kyo pulled him close for another tender kiss then let him go. It was the that the bell rang.
 
“Oh no…I've missed a whole period of geography…”
 
“Don't worry about that, you're a smart little cookie, you'll be okay.” Yuki smiled.
 
“Cookie?”
 
“You heard me.”
 
“I heard you calling me cookie.”
 
“Why is that such a bad thing?”
 
“I'm just saying….cookie.” he sniggered.
 
“Fine then, no cookie for you!” Yuki laughed and put his arm through Kyo's. “It'll just have to be Koibito.” Yuki's eyes went wide.
 
“Ko-koibito?”
 
“You heard me.”
 
Yuki smiled warmly. Hai neko…my neko….I heard you.