Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Jyuunishi no Enkei Monogatari ❯ 6th Zodiac: Hebi ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries.

December 21, 2002

Jyuunishi no Enkei Monogatari

Chapter 5: Hebi

by Ina-chan

Of all the 14 years of his life, Mizugawa Setsuta never imagined that a day such as today would ever happen. The impending trip to the Souma Territory without Yukino-senpai already frightened him as it is. Despite the differences in their clashing personalities, his senpai's infectious confidence was a comfortable security blanket. He wasn't afraid of mistakes or embarrassment, because his he could always depend on following his senpai's perfect lead.

He had to admit… he was jealous of her at first. It was obvious that Meishu thought extremely highly of Yukino-senpai. He also knew that respect had nothing to do with Yukino-senpai's family status. Yukino-senpai was extremely gifted and talented. As for him… all he knew was that the only reason he ended up as Meishu's apprentice was the fact that his father was Meishu's cousin and that Meishu agreed to take him under his wing out of pity. Out of all his uncles, Meishu was the one he loved and respected the most. He would do anything in his power to make his uncle proud… as much as he wanted to make his own father proud.

But he was also sure that no matter how much he tried, Meishu will never look at him with that same level of approval and pride that he gives to Yukino-senpai. After all, he had always known that the snake was the fifth wheel in the perfect marriage of the mouse and the dragon. Though he hungered for that attention, not once did he ever wish for Yukino-senpai to disappear from the picture.

One didn't have to be as clever as Yukino-senpai to understand what was the true cause of her leaving. After all, he was there to witness what was happening with his own eyes. He may still be a child in many ways, but he was not that naïve as not to notice what was obvious.

That was the reason this situation is more terrifying than the impending trip to the Souma Territory. He hates situations like this. He didn't want to have to divide his loyalty. He didn't want to witness this. He didn't want to see the two most important people in his life to face off like this. But also he knew, even if Meishu ordered him to leave, he wouldn't have the heart to do so.

To leave would mean to abandon her.

But to stay would mean to defy him.

But Meishu didn't order him to leave. Meishu didn't even say a single word as he worked over Kaji-kou's unconscious form. Meishu didn't say a word as he followed him out of the room after Meishu did all that he can. That terrifying deafening silence didn't lift as he stood sit meekly at a shadowed corner as Meishu stood before his unrelenting senpai.

"He'll be sleeping fitfully for the next three to four days," The healer stated blandly, breaking the silence, "Other than a pounding headache and facing his inevitable wrath when he wakes up, there isn't anything to worry about. Your concoction was perfectly made."

"I'm glad that Kampo-meishu approves," The ice princess replied sarcastically

"Of course, that is only if our family doesn't go to war with the Souma clan as a result of your actions," Tatsu countered in his same cool bland fashion

"Then you should have thought twice before deciding to leave me behind," Yukino answered back

"You should talk," The older man continued, "You understand that your betrayal would cause grave repercussions for you and your accomplices."

Setsuta made an involuntary gulp of fear upon hearing his master's words.

"Then as Yukino-sama's assigned guardian, I'll accept all punishment directed to her," Mizugawa Izumi's stated with great vindication as he stepped forward from a shadowed corner of the room to stand protectively beside the ice princess

"You'll do no such thing!" Yukino glared at the young man beside her

"I didn't watch her when I was supposed to," Izumi ignored her protests, as he laid his weapon in front of him, and knelt down passively in front of the older man, "Let me carry the load of all her punishments on my back."

"IZUMI!"

"No!" Setsuta clenched his fists as he ran forward and fell on his knees, lying prostrate in front of his master, "Meishu, punish me instead! It's all my fault! None of this would have happened if it weren't for me! Please! Don't blame Yukino-senpai and Izumi-niisan! It's my fault! It's all my fault!"

"Seta-chan! What are you doing?" Yukino cried out in shock

"Get up Setsuta, don't shame your family line with your disgraceful action," The healer's voice boomed sternly in controlled anger

The boy made an involuntary flinch at the sound of his master's voice, choking back a sob, as he rose back on his feet. Head bowed submissively, he walked back to his place behind his master.

The older man watched the scene before him silently before turning his attention back to the young woman before him. He didn't have to say it out loud. She could already read what was in his mind from the accusing look in his eyes.

"No," Yukino stated firmly, "No one is getting punished. Oniichan is not going to wake up in time for the banquet, so you know that there is only one thing left to do."

"No," Tatsu replied in an equally firm manner, "Do you honestly believe that the Souma clan would accept you?"

"They said that they had to know that it is Mizugawa Yukino standing before them."

"And how do you expect to get away with that?"

Silently, in one swift move, the ice princess picked up and unsheathed the weapon lying in front of the young man beside her. The occupants of the room could only gape in shock as the young woman gathered her hair and slashed the long ebony silken tresses in one swipe. Her now chin-length shorn hair flew wildly at the sudden motion, making her look less delicate with the icy determination in her eyes, but not at all less beautiful. She then turned defiantly at the older man, who can only stare back at her, stunned, unable to mask his expression.

"Yukino…" Izumi whispered, wide-eyed in shock

"Yukino-senpai…" Setsuta choked as he buried his face in his hands

"There is a reason why your brother did not want you to come with us," The older man spoke softly, finally finding his voice

"It's most likely a trap, isn't it?" Yukino declared, "All the more reason why I should be the one to go! Oniichan is the last heir of the Mizugawa clan. I'm dispensable, he's not. It would be a greater disaster if he were to die needlessly."

"So you believe that Kaji would be better off if YOU died instead?"

Setsuta lifted his head and stared at the older man in horror. He was so preoccupied with his own fear that what was at stake in this expedition didn't even enter his mind.

The ice princess didn't even flinch under the older man's stern glare, as she met her eyes with strong conviction, "If it means saving my brother's life, then I would willingly accept that fate."

"Such an idiot. Such a stubborn, obstinate, idiot. You're exactly like your mother, " The older man muttered angrily, "Then tell me, how firm is your resolve?"

Mizugawa Yukino, didn't back down and continued to meet the older man's eyes as she held out her shorn tresses, "Obviously much firmer than yours."

The older man clenched his jaw, understanding the younger woman's cryptic words. He turned his gaze and moved forward to leave the room, "We leave for the Souma territory in the morning. I have no time to waste arguing with fools."

A wave of silence settled in the room uncomfortably as soon as the older man left the room. Izumi slowly got on his feet and looked at the ice princess uncertainly. Yukino stood frozen at where she was, silently unmoving, her features hidden under what's left of her hair. Setsuta, did the only thing he could do in a situation like this. He burst into uncontrollable tears.

"Setsuta, that's enough!" Izumi commanded angrily, feeling helpless with what to next

"I'm sorry," Setsuta sobbed, as he wiped his eyes with his sleeve

"Crying won't solve anything now," Izumi yelled at the distraught boy

"I can't help it, it won't stop," Setsuta replied, failing to stop his tears

"Yelling at him won't solve anything either," Yukino finally spoke, immediately silencing the two boys, "Seta-chan, if you really want to help, come and even out my hair for me. If I'm going to succeed in attempting to pass as Onnichan, at least I shouldn't look like a girl as much as possible."

"Yukino…" Izumi began hesitantly

"You can help by preparing Onnichan's armour," Yukino interrupted him, not looking up to meet her guardian's eyes, "I know nothing about armoury… so you'll have to be the one to… dress me appropriately."

The young man froze at her words, and a faint blush appearing on his cheeks before nervously leaving the room. With that, Yukino moved toward a chest box at the corner of the room and produced a smaller blade. She then moved to the centre of the room and motioned for the younger boy to move closer. Setsuta silently made his way behind her and tentatively accepted the blade in her hands. He still continued to make small sobbing noises as he started to even out the remaining long locks on the young woman's head.

"I'm sorry for involving you with this, Seta-chan," Yukino whispered softly to the young boy

The boy shook his head, "I didn't want to go without you, Yukino-senpai. I wanted you to come. That's my resolve."

"Then if that's the case, stop crying," Yukino replied, before switching into a more playful tone "Remember the story about the beautiful young bride who cried all night for the loss of her lover? She cried and cried and cried all night, because of her grief, her hair turned white overnight. If you ended up looking like an old man before you're fifteen, then there'll be no woman in the world who'll take you."

"Would you… would you change how you look at me… if… if all my hair turned white?" The boy asked, fighting a sob rising up his throat

"Of course not," The ice princess replied, a small smile lining her lips, "You'll always be the annoying little pest that I've always hated."

"Then it's the same for me," Setsuta answered, forcing a small smile on his own lips, "Even if you start looking like a boy, even when your hair turns grey like an old hag, even if Meishu and Izumi-niisan and everyone yells at me… it'll be the same for me."

With his childish words, the ice princess couldn't help but let out a peal of soft laughter. She turned around, took the younger boy in her arms and held him tightly as she continued to laugh uncontrollably, tears starting to stream down her face. Setsuta closed his eyes and held his senpai in kind, letting his own tears flow freely. They kept on holding and comforting each other like that, as the young princess' laughter died down and joined the young boy's unrepressed sobs.

End of 6th Zodiac

Author's squawk:

I decided to try to finish this fic fist before going back to "Fumei no Musubi". I finally found my angle for that other fic, and unfortunately, I have to borrow some elements from this fic. If I write "Fumei" first, I'm gonna spoil the ending for this one. It's very strange how my fics seem to connect with each other unintentionally… Anywayz, its gonna be two more chapters and an epilogue for this fic… I think. The next one is gonna be the build-up to the climactic final chapter. So if you're not bored with this fic yet… Yaaaay! Thank you for continuing to follow it! This fic has been dragging on for so long, ne? ^_^.

Well then, comments, criticisms, bricks… you know where to send them! ina_chan@yahoo.com

Ja!

Ina-chan