Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Seasons of Sorrow ❯ Memories of Spring = To Comply With A ‘God’ Then… ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: Someday, when Takaya-sensei has lost all reason to think for herself, she'll pass on this treasure of hers to me and only me! Oh, the power of wishing…
 
 
Memories of Spring
To Comply With A `God' Then…
 
 
(Flashback to many years ago…)
 
Kazuma was never one to pry into Yuki's life back then (he was under Akito's watchful eye at all times), but he was very curious of the reclusive rat as his duty of being the father figure for Kyo. Yuki was rarely seen—a glimpse of the child was pretty much all the acquaintance Kazuma had back then. Akito was someone he saw more of compared to Yuki…and that wasn't much. So it was quite a shock to be summoned to Akito's presence one clear spring day…even back then the clan head had proven to be intimidating.
 
Just as reclusive as Yuki, Akito remained shrouded in the shadows of the main reception room as Kazuma kneeled before the clan head. Kazuma hoped that the young Sohma leader didn't ask about Kyo—it was well known that no one, least of all Akito, tolerated Kyo's presence among the family. To his amazement, Akito had something completely different in mind on this fine day.
 
“Kazuma…it has been ages since I've last seen you. Are you well?” the young leader asked smoothly.
 
“Hai, thank you for asking, Akito-san,” Kazuma responded politely.
 
“Hmmm. Well, as much as I'm intrigued to learn more of your life with the other `thing' residing in your home, I've got better use of my time. Yuki, come forward,” she commanded to the stray shadow at the other side of the room.
 
“Hai, Akito,” the child of the Rat Zodiac replied quietly.
 
Kazuma was a little stunned to see the diminutive child standing before him. It was known among the few closest to the Inner Circle that the clan head restricted anyone from seeing the Rat Zodiac. Yet, Yuki was very different from what he had in mind…the powerful and gifted rat he imagined was nothing more than a very introverted, fragile child that would probably break under an embrace.
 
“Yuki, you know who this is, don't you?” asked the `god' to the rat.
 
“Hai, Akito. Pleased to meet you, Kazuma-san,” replied Yuki softly as he bowed in Kazuma's direction.
 
“Kazuma, I present to you my most treasured possession, Yuki. Such a beautiful child, ne Kazuma? No other previous rat could have been more exquisite, I'm sure of it,” claimed Akito proudly while stepping over to Yuki and lightly caressed his face with one hand and with the other hand gently stroked his hair. Akito then looked to Kazuma with an expectant expression.
 
Kazuma all the while was engrossed in observing Yuki—Kazuma could clearly see the rat's submission to his `god'. Or maybe it was more fear than anything… Upon feeling the stare from Akito, Kazuma immediately bowed his head in respect and replied, “Pleased to meet you, Yuki-san. It is truly an honor to be in your presence.”
 
Yuki gave no acknowledgement to Kazuma's response. He remained the same as before, hands folded neatly in front of his body with his eyes cast downward. Regardless, Kazuma certainly had to agree with Akito…Yuki was exquisite. Kazuma could plainly sense the strong aura of the Rat Zodiac emanating from the child. It was not difficult for anyone to be captivated by just his mere presence in the room.
 
“No need to be shy, Yuki. You're among family here,” replied languidly Akito while embracing Yuki. He remained the same position but did nod his head in acknowledgement to her remark. She continued, “Ne, Yuki, you wanted to ask something of Kazuma. Well, go right ahead…he's here before you.”
 
Kazuma was surprised at this and looked curiously at the child of the rat spirit. Yuki seemed to be self-conscious that all eyes were on him. He started to wring his small hands in front of him as he pressed his lips firmly together. It seemed to Kazuma that any form of conversation required much effort on Yuki's part. Kazuma was saddened to see how hard Yuki struggled to articulate his question but in the end just gave up.
 
“I…I …I don't believe I'm anyone to ask Kazuma-san anything. Sumimasen, Kazuma-san…for bothering you,” Yuki whispered softly to Kazuma as he continued wringing his hands tightly together.
 
“You can ask me anything, Yuki-san. I don't mind,” replied quickly Kazuma. He was very curious at this point as to what Yuki's request was, and Kazuma desperately wanted the child to relax. Yuki just retreated further into himself and looked away from Kazuma.
 
Akito had been observing Yuki the whole time and spoke up. “How adorable, ne Kazuma? Yuki, do you need me to ask him for you, hmmm?” the clan head asked while holding onto Yuki's shoulders and caressing his cheek. Yuki blinked back the tears that were starting to form and meekly nodded his head. Akito, with a pleased smile, then turned to see Kazuma fully. “Kazuma, my dear Yuki has for some time been wanting lessons from you. Isn't that right, Yuki?” The rat of the zodiac nodded and the clan leader continued, “I believe he would far excel beyond any of your other students, so I'll allow Yuki to train under you for a short while.”
 
Kazuma knew an order when he heard one…or in this case, when it was implied. Akito always had a way of discreetly having any desired wish made obvious. That's not to say that Akito wouldn't deliver an order outright when the need arose, but there are times when she would see that an implied order usually was more effective than a direct one. It was those kinds of implied orders that could make or break the individual in question…the kind that could bring out drastic consequences if the order wasn't met fully.
 
Knowing this, Kazuma glanced briefly at Yuki. He could barely perceive a small glint of hope in Yuki's eyes, but it was all Kazuma needed to smile softly at Yuki directly. “It would truly be an honor to be your teacher, Yuki-san,” replied Kazuma with calm. He finally caught Yuki's direct gaze. Meeting his eyes fully for the first time, Kazuma was overly mesmerized at Yuki's poignant expression that had the faint traces of hope.
 
“See, Yuki, it's not hard to say what you want,” replied Akito while turning Yuki's face to meet her own. To Kazuma, she remarked, “Kureno will be in touch with you regarding all the necessary details. Now, come along Yuki. Our tea must be getting cold by now, and you still have your other lessons to attend to,” the young clan head smiled at Yuki. Yuki briefly bowed to Kazuma and mouthed a `thank you' to him as he left the room with Akito.
 
Kazuma was happy to see this brief moment of Yuki's character and was about to stand up to leave. Just then, the clan head returned to the room, and Kazuma was back in his previous position. He wondered what she wanted to discuss now, but little did Kazuma realize that what Akito would say to him in a few moments was something that he will keep to heart presently and always.
 
Leaning ever so closely to Kazuma's face, the eyes of the young Sohma leader pierced into Kazuma's own eyes. “Kazuma, let me make this abundantly clear. Just so that there are no misunderstandings between us,” replied Akito calmly while tracing his jaw line. He stared back and nodded perceptibly to her in acknowledgement. “Good. You will keep your filth of a ward away from Yuki during his lessons. And pray, pray that nothing comes to harm my precious rat while in your care. Nothing. Are we clear?”
 
Kazuma could plainly feel the frigid aura of Akito's controlled rage at the mere idea of anything harming Yuki. She left no room for Kazuma to even argue had he wanted to. He bowed his head to Akito in respect, “Hai, Akito-san. I will fully comply with your orders.”
 
With that, Kazuma was released from his interview with Akito. He knew that it was going to be hard to handle this new situation. The details he was made aware of later confirmed it…Yuki was to train alone with no interaction with the other members of the dojo, especially Kyo. That in particular was not a problem for Kazuma since Kyo avoided Yuki like the plague. Oh, the ranting and raving he got from Kyo when he learned of Kazuma's new responsibility were ones for the history books…so many broken dishes and dents in the walls…
 
Yet, Kazuma truly remained hopeful that all would be well, despite the difficulties of keeping Yuki isolated as well as learning innovative ways to train him without causing so much exertion to Yuki's frail health. Not to mention trying to reach out to Yuki…that in itself took months of intense persuasion on Kazuma's part for Yuki to even look up at him.
 
Kazuma did realize however that over time, there was something else on Yuki's mind than the lessons he was learning. Although Yuki did learn martial arts very well (nothing less from the Rat Zodiac), it was not something he was `passionate' about. Sure, Yuki was pleased when he successfully completed a lesson, but he was never truly happy with his achievements.
 
Events one day a year later had shed more light on the matter…
 
It was a normal day for them as Kazuma trained Yuki on a new exercise. His assistant knocked softly on the dojo shoji (Akito really did mean that NO ONE see Yuki) in hopes to speak with Kazuma. Kazuma had Yuki practice on his own while Kazuma checked to see what his assistant wanted. It seemed that a very unexpected (and unwanted) visitor demanded to speak with Kazuma immediately. His assistant had tried in vain to get the visitor to come another time and was afraid that he'll try to barge in on Kazuma, or worse yet, see Kyo.
 
Kazuma debated whether to risk leaving Yuki alone for a short time while attending the man. It really would suit them all, especially for Kyo and Yuki, to get rid of the visitor as soon as possible. So Kazuma left, and after a short time, returned to the dojo where he left Yuki alone.
 
He could tell that something was wrong once he heard distinct yelling coming from within. Opening the door, he caught Kyo having a screaming fit with Yuki. This in itself didn't bode well, and Kazuma could tell that Yuki was too shocked to say anything back. Kazuma also saw that Yuki was starting to have difficulties in his breathing and would likely break out into a seizure if Kazuma didn't get him his medication soon.
 
“STUPID, STUPID FOOL! KUSO NEZUMI! IT WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR FAULT NO MATTER WHAT YOU THINK! I HATE YOU! I HOPE AKITO NEVER LETS YOU OUT OF YOUR HOLE EVER!!!!” Kyo screamed at the top of his lungs.
 
“Kyo, that's enough! Return to the other dojo with Haru and Kagura immediately,” Kazuma demanded sternly as he stood in front of the fuming neko. Kyo looked up to Kazuma and with a sneer to Yuki, ran out of the dojo to join the others.
 
With a heavy sigh, Kazuma turned around to check on Yuki who had his head bowed down. He reached out to touch Yuki's shoulder, but Yuki shrugged his hand off and turned his back to him. Yuki stroked his left arm subconsciously with his right hand and barely whispered something that Kazuma would hear very often.
 
“Baka…baka neko. Always being…always…mean,” whispered vehemently Yuki as he started wheezing. “All because of some stupid classes I'm taking.”
 
Kazuma immediately got out Yuki's medication and handed it to him. Yuki took it without looking up and administered it to himself. Once again breathing somewhat normally, Yuki whispered to Kazuma, “Gomen nasai, Shihan, I didn't…I didn't mean to call your classes…stupid. I was just…”
 
Yuki left the remark unfinished as he twiddled with his medication in his hands, still without looking up to Kazuma. Kazuma was not offended with Yuki's rather rash description of his classes since for once Yuki spoke what truly was on his mind. This is what intrigued Kazuma more than anything. So, inevitably, Kazuma asked the question that he most wanted to ask for a long while.
 
“Yuki, if you're not interested in the classes themselves, why put yourself through them?” asked Kazuma softly as he kneeled down to Yuki's level.
 
Yuki merely turned his head a little to the side and glanced towards the direction that Kyo exited. They both could hear the others, including Kyo, as they practiced their exercises in a dojo not too far from where Kazuma and Yuki were.
 
Bowing his head down once more, Yuki remained quiet for a moment, but Kazuma could tell the faint shaking in Yuki's shoulders…he was crying. Barely responding above a whisper, he replied, “What does it matter…I'll never have it anyway.”
 
With that, Yuki wiped his arm across his face and ran out of the dojo. Kazuma called out to Yuki, but he never returned. A few weeks passed, and Yuki still didn't show up for any of his lessons. Kazuma started to worry about the young child…he had, after all, grown an attachment to Yuki. Who wouldn't?
 
It all pretty much became clear what happened as he received another summons from the clan head…this time he had to bring Kyo along. He prepared the little neko as best as he could since Kyo had very little tolerance to authority figures…especially to the `god' of the Jyuunishi.
 
As both were kneeled in Akito's main reception room, Kazuma prepared himself for the worst. While Kyo had his head bowed down with his hands by his side, Kazuma looked up to the clan head entering the room. It wasn't hard to figure out that she knew what had happened that day.
 
Promptly, Akito walked over to the two and with quick reflexes (even for Kazuma), grabbed a hold of Kyo's left wrist and yanked off the neko's bracelet. Both Kyo and Kazuma were shocked as the inevitable unfolded before them. With no time at all, Kyo was in his second form as Akito stood before him, holding up her arm across her nose.
 
"DAMMIT, I WILL NEVER GET USED TO THIS ABHORRENT STENCH!" Akito leaned closer to Kyo's 'face' and screamed at him further. "Did you honestly think I wasn't going to find out that you dared to be in my Yuki's presence?! DID YOU?! She threw the bracelet in Kyo's face.
You even went so far as to touch him...TO TWIST HIS WRIST!!” She threw a cup at Kyo, and it shattered on the wall behind him. You are really the stupid one for conceiving such an idea as to put yourself in his level. See yourself for what you truly are—a bake-mono...nothing but a sad sack of decaying matter that represents the cat's true nature! You are lower than any filth I've ever known! Don't ever believe yourself to be above anyone, least of all to my rat! The rat will always remain special and the most sacred of all you fools! You will never amount to anything...even 'nothing' is 'something' compared to the filthy mess that you are now and will always be!"
Turning away to get some fresh air, the young Sohma leader spun back around, but this time the wrath was directed at Kazuma. "I warned you about allowing this stench near my Yuki. I warned you about any harm coming to my rat," Akito replied very lowly and menacingly while struggling to maintain an upright posture. Evidently she was worn out with this outburst...the leader seemed to still be recuperating from one recent bout of illness. It would explain why she hadn't summoned Kazuma sooner.
Still, what happened afterward was still fuzzy in Kazuma's mind. Somehow, someway, they managed to emerge from that hopeless situation, but only to be dealt with another yoke to carry.
 
Kazuma had hoped to stop the situation before it got out of control, but Kyo wouldn't budge and accepted Akito's `offer' without thinking it through. Kazuma just closed his eyes and bowed his head at the time, knowing that Kyo really had no idea of the capabilities that Yuki was just starting to tap into.
 
Apparently Akito knew this fact very well, if her departing words were any indication, “This will prove to be immensely entertaining, ne Kazuma?”
 
Both Kazuma and Kyo had left with no further trouble and upon arriving back home, Kazuma headed to the kitchen to brew some tea to soothe their nerves.
 
As they both sat in silence, Kazuma reflected on what just happened. He asked the first question that was on his mind, “Kyo, why didn't you tell me that you hurt Yuki that day?”
 
Kyo just bowed his head while swinging his legs in his chair. Kyo shrugged and said quietly, “I didn't think he was so weak.”
 
“You are a fine student Kyo…but are you truly prepared to face an opponent you know nothing about? Do you recall the lessons that I taught you about underestimating an opponent of unknown capability?” Kazuma explained carefully. He was very worried of what the consequences would be for Kyo now and later in life by accepting this `offer' from the clan head.
 
Kyo could see Kazuma's point on that explanation…Kyo had actually caught Yuki off guard at the dojo since he wasn't even supposed to see Yuki, least of all attack him from behind. Kyo really had no idea how strong (or how weak) Yuki could be.
 
“I'll find a way…I will beat him, Shishou, you'll see…I will,” Kyo swore as he ran to his room. Kazuma could only look on with deep concern as he contemplated the situation alone in his kitchen.
 
True to Akito's word, Kyo remained in Kazuma's care instead of being locked away. A week had passed and one day, Kazuma had walked by one of the deserted dojos when he noticed a small form inside. Opening the shoji door, he was surprised to see Yuki sitting down in the middle of the room, humming quietly to himself. Kazuma walked softly across the floor and kneeled in front of him, but Yuki seemed to further retreat into himself. He saw that Yuki's wrist was bandaged neatly—the child all the while never looked up.
 
“Yuki, why didn't you tell me you were here? I would have taken you to the other dojo that isn't as drafty as this one,” replied Kazuma softly to the quiet child.
 
“No one saw me…I hid so that no one could see me. Just like promised,” replied Yuki quietly, voice wavering in the end. He kept his head down all the while as he stroked his bandaged wrist
 
“It's all right. Don't worry about it. Since you're here, why don't we strengthen your other arm while your wrist recuperates, hmm?” prodded Kazuma gently with a smile.
 
Still not looking up, Yuki turned his head away from Kazuma's gaze. He seemed to have a hard time swallowing as his lips started to tremble. Shakily, he told Kazuma quietly, “I tried hiding it…I tried to not get you…or Kyo into trouble…I really tried. Gomen nasai, Shihan…gomen nasai…it really was my fault.”
 
After having said that, Yuki got up and turned to walk away, but Kazuma would have none of that. He quickly reached out and gently brought Yuki into an embrace. He lifted Yuki's tearful face to look straight at him. Seeing it really broke Kazuma's heart.
 
`Just like Kyo's…' With a tender expression, he looked deep into Yuki's eyes, wiping away his tears. “No, I'm the one who's sorry for not noticing your injury when you were hurt. Don't you ever be sorry. I don't blame you for anything, so don't you ever blame yourself. You are not at fault for anything, do you understand?”
 
Yuki stared back at Kazuma, and sniffling some more, he nodded his head in consent. Releasing Yuki upon seeing this, Kazuma smiled broadly and stood up, taking Yuki's uninjured hand into his own. “Let's go strengthen this arm of yours, okay? It'll definitely help you with your overall strength training. Come on,” said Kazuma happily as he led Yuki away to a different dojo.
 
Kazuma felt relieved at winning Yuki back, but he was much more thankful when he felt Yuki's small smile behind him…
 
(End flashback)
 
(POOF!)
 
Snapping out of his thoughts, Kazuma saw that Yuki finally reverted back to his human form. Seeing that Yuki was sleeping soundly, Kazuma wrapped a sheet over Yuki and laid him on his bed to continue resting.
 
Smoothing back Yuki's hair from his eyes, Kazuma decided to go check on Kyo. Knowing Kyo, he was probably up on the roof brooding.
 
Kyo was indeed above on the roof, lying flat on his back as he stared at the immense variety of stars. He heard someone coming up the ladder, and that particular someone was struggling to maintain his balance on the roof.
 
Letting out a frustrated sigh he got up and caught Kazuma's arm as Kyo guided both to sit on the roof. Kyo simply sat down without saying anything to his father figure.
 
Kazuma smiled a little and just told him exactly what Kyo wanted to know. “He's resting now…just a little shaken up. I'm sure he'll be hungry, though, when he wakes up,” said Kazuma with a wide grin.
 
“Hmph,” was all that Kyo let out in acknowledgement to that news. That was a good thing, considering he didn't berate Kazuma or call Yuki any names. Kyo went back to lying down and staring back at the stars.
 
Sensing that Kyo was probably mulling over their conversation earlier, Kazuma spoke up. “Kyo, I know it's difficult, but it'll work out. All Yuki will be doing is providing moral support to the team in general. Goodness knows we'll need it, seeing all the tough competition we'll have out there. You probably won't even see him with all the people that will be there,” went on Kazuma as he tried to relieve some of the tension Kyo had towards him.
 
“Whatever, it's your team. At least, I'm allowed to fight there,” was Kyo's cryptic remark while resuming his staring contest with the sky.
 
Kazuma decided to leave that alone for now and tried to think of a way to snap his stubborn son out of his blues. Smiling slyly, Kazuma replied while nudging Kyo's head, “You know, you can be so cute when you pout.”
 
“WHAT?!” called out Kyo in surprise. He nearly lost his balance, but he quickly sat up and eyed the martial arts teacher with a scary look. “I'm not cute, and I don't pout!” Kyo seethed through clenched teeth.
 
Kazuma smiled even wider and tried to contain his laughter…Kyo just kept getting angrier. “Quit that or I'll toss you over, old man!”
 
“Yes, yes, of course! But this old man can still block all your moves, hmmm?” smiled glibly Kazuma. He knew which buttons to push on Kyo to get the reaction he wanted. Seeing Kyo getting back to his old self again relieved Kazuma greatly.
 
“Bring it on, Shishou, anytime, anywhere,” was Kyo's challenge as he got up on his feet and almost lost his balance again. With an indifferent air, Kyo remarked, “Just not here.”
 
Kazuma merely smiled broadly at his hardheaded son and stared at the sky as well. However, Kyo brought up a question that snapped Kazuma back to reality.
 
“Shishou, why did you arrange this just now…why the last minute detail? You always handle every single detail about these competitions months in advance, even who's going and who isn't. You can be such a control freak about that stuff…” More quietly to himself Kyo went on, “It's just that…well, you just caught me off guard about it. That's all…what with Akito allowing me to remain free even after graduation (`that can be a shock to anyone'), plus the fact that you did tell me to lay off picking fights with the nezumi, and here you are, dangling the idiot in front of me. (Lets out frustrated sigh and regains his composure.) I just wanted to know why the sudden interest in getting the nezumi to come if he's not participating in the tournament.”
 
Why? Who could have guessed one word can be so difficult to answer? Well, no one said complying with a `god' was an easy thing to do in this family…
 
 
~*~
 
Edited by: Seiren-no-Kaze 02-23-07
 
~*~
 
 
Author's Yodeling (09-14-04):
 
Thanks for the reviews and reading—you guys are just the best!
 
AnimeFreakVee52: The last chapter was funny to you? I honestly didn't think it came out that way, but hey, as long as you enjoyed it! That's always my bottom line! Thanks always for your devoted reviews!!
 
Antique Apple: I'm still blushing with your review! I'm so happy that you like my fic that much! I always hope that my readers find my story appealing in some way!
 
Well, for post remarks, this story was a little difficult to put together. I had mentioned before how I was going to shed more light on this `bond' between Kazuma and Yuki. I hoped you could see how this `bond' is unique and doesn't cramp Kazuma's relationship with Kyo. After all, it's my belief that Kazuma has a heart big enough to love both Kyo and Yuki.
 
That said, hopefully I wasn't having the characters too out of it. I didn't want to spend too much time on Kyo accepting the infamous offer from Akito since that was pretty well drawn out in the actual manga. It's my hope that this chapter supplements that portion of the manga (I honestly don't remember much, so hopefully I got it right).
 
Also, for musical moments, I stuck with Five For Fighting's “Superman (It's Not Easy)” song. Why? It's not that any of the characters are going around in red underwear or flying through the skies at the speed of light. Mainly, the idea behind the song is that `Superman' has all these special abilities and special qualities. He gives this image of being completely impregnable, yet that's not how he sees himself at all. In the song, he constantly wants to be seen as just a person that has feelings, wants, desires just like any other person. He can also feel pain and sorrow—he wants to be able to break down without people thinking any less of him.
 
Of course, in a way, Yuki fits this idea of `Superman'. He's seen as the untouchable Rat of the Zodiac legend, second only to the `God' in the old story. You could see that this perception of the rat is carried by all…Kazuma even admitted to this. Of course, that image was shattered once you actually got to know him. Yuki's not untouchable, yet is very special in his own way. Yuki still carries himself in a way that would convey this image, but as he lets himself reach out to people more, people start to see that he really is more than just the Rat Zodiac. He's simply Yuki…
 
Well, now that this chapter is behind me, let me concentrate on getting this story along.
 
Leave your reviews at the door on your way out… Ja ne!!!!