Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Mistletoe ❯ Under the Mistletoe ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]







Under the Mistletoe
A Christmas Furuba Fan Story
By: Natilie Sawada
 
Christmas was fast approaching in the Sohma household.
“Ms. Honda, do you need a hand with that?” Yuki asked, wandering into the kitchen to see Tohru already making preparations for the food, even though she had almost a week before the winter holiday.
“No, I'm fine!” She replied, zipping around the kitchen, jumping from task to task with lightning speed. Yuki just shook his head in amazement.
“Besides, you'll burn it!” Shigure exclaimed, bursting into the kitchen.
“Thank you very much,” sighed Yuki. Tohru whipped around, away from the dish she was preparing, and spied Shigure standing in the doorway.
“Oh, good morning, Shigure!” she exclaimed, her back to the pot she was stirring with one hand.
“Where is everybody?” Kyo's slightly irritated voice came from the hallway.
“We're in the kitchen, Kyo!” Tohru called, turning back to the pot. Kyo walked in, the usual scowl on his face slightly lightening as his gaze fell upon Tohru's back, but was quickly replaced with another dark look as soon as he spotted Yuki staring at him.
“What are you looking at?” Kyo asked hotly.
“I was about to ask you the same thing.” Yuki shot back. Tension quickly filled the room. Shigure, always being the only one who was able to break tension easily (besides Tohru) said:
“Well, now that the entire household has crowded into our kitchen, I believe I shall go spend some quality time with my novel.”
“Good riddance,” Yuki muttered, the potential fight evaporated as quickly as it had started.
“Oh, Yun-chan! You're so cold!” Shigure said, anime tears streaming down his face. Yuki glared at him.
“No one besides Kagura is allowed to call me that.”
“Oh? You're lover's nickname is it? Oh Kyo, you must be ashamed! You're girlfriend is two-timing you!” Yuki just sighed, as Kyo chased Shigure out into the hallway. He ran his hand through his silver hair, and turned back to Tohru, who, surprisingly, had a faint smile in her face.
“You really find them amusing, Ms. Honda?”
“Huh?” Tohru jumped. “Oh no, I just am relieved that you two didn't get in a fight. It being so close to Christmas and all.”
“Do you like western holidays?” Yuki asked, walking forward slightly, and peering over her shoulder to the dish she was preparing.
“Oh, yes! A lot of them have food involved! And I love to cook! Especially…what is it called…oh! Thanksgiving!” She smiled brilliantly. Yuki could tell just by the name of the holiday, that it might very well be one of her favorites. “Do you like western holidays, Yuki?”
“Hmm? Oh, I like Christmas. But I haven't really had experience with many others.” He smiled at her. “It's alright though.”
“Well, mom said that she liked western holidays as much as traditional holidays. And she liked to celebrate both! She used to say: “There are so many days worthy of celebrating in one year; it would be a shame not to celebrate them!” So we would celebrate both traditional and western holidays!”
“Sounds like you two had fun,” Yuki said.
“Yeah,” Tohru got a far away look, and for a moment…just a moment, Yuki caught a speck of grief flash in her eyes. He put his hand on hers.
“Well then, we'll just have to have double the fun for your mother, alright?” She looked first at their overlapping hands, and then glanced up at him.
“Thank you, Yuki” she said. At that moment, Kyo came bursting into the kitchen once more.
“That stupid dog!” He glanced up to see Yuki with his hand on Tohru's. He just looked to their hands, then at Yuki, then at Tohru, and back at their hands. Yuki quickly pulled his hand away, and just nodded to Tohru.
“It'll be alright, Ms. Honda.” And he walked out, leaving them in the kitchen.
“What was that all about?” Kyo said, cringing as his words came out more hostile than he'd meant them to be. She didn't seem to notice.
“We were talking about Mom.” She said slowly. “And…I got kind of down hearted…silly me. I've got to be more optimistic!” Her face acquired a fierce look, which, for Tohru, looked like she was concentrating hard on something. “Yes! I've got to look at the bright side! Never let anything get me down! I've got to-” Her rant was cut short as Kyo bopped her lightly on the head.
“Look you.” he said, “If you got anymore optimistic, you'd blind us all with that smile of yours! You don't have to be happy all the time. I mean, sorry, but, you're mom died, and the fact that you can still smile like anything…that's pretty amazing. You, out of all of us, have a reason to get downhearted sometimes. Okay? It's alright if you don't keep a happy face 24/7.” Tohru gazed up at him, her hand unconsciously taking his. Tears gathered in her eyes.
“Thank you, Kyo. You all are so kind. And me being upset like this. I'm sorry.” She slid down to the floor. Kyo knelt in shock, but seeing there was nothing physically wrong with her, just sat down on the kitchen floor with her.
“Hey, hey. Just wait a minute. There's nothing to apologize for. You're the one who's been kind to us, okay?” He knocked her slightly on the head again. She smiled up at him. “It's probably just the stress of the holiday getting to you. So don't worry about it. Just keep being you.” He put his arm loosely around her shoulder. Then he whispered barely audible “because you're perfect.”
“What?” Tohru asked, her expression confused. She is so cute when she's confused, Kyo thought.
“Nothing,” he said. She reached her hand up, and grabbed the hand he had on her shoulder.
“Okay,” she replied closing her eyes.
* * *
“Christmas is coming!! Weihnachten kommt!! Christmas is coming!!” Momiji exclaimed at lunch the day before winter break.
“Calm down, Momiji,” Yuki sighed.
“The little one's sure excited,” Arisa pointed out.
“Momiji, do you like Christmas?” Tohru asked.
“Yeah! Yeah! But Papa, Mama, and Momo are going to visit Mama's family, so I'm going to spend Christmas with Ha'ri this year!” Momiji's face almost fell for a moment, but the usual brilliant smile replaced itself at the mention of the doctor.
“And you're not going with them?” Hana asked in her peculiarly expressionless voice.
“Aahh…That is…” Momiji started.
“But has Hatori agreed to this?” Yuki interrupted before Momiji came up with a good excuse.
“I…'ll ask him after school!” Momiji smiled brilliantly. Yuki sighed, and put a hand to his forehead.
“You know, you could spend Christmas at Shigure's house. I'm sure he'd be delighted. I wouldn't mind either, but Kyo on the other hand…”
“Really?! I could spend Christmas at Shii-chan's house? I'm so excited!” Momiji's smile broadened (if that's possible). “And that means I get to spend Christmas with Tohru!!” He slid over to Tohru's spot on the picnic blanket and leaned against her.
“It will be so much fun with you there, Momiji!” she exclaimed.
“So you're having a party?” Haru asked, walking up behind them. Tohru jumped.
“Oh! Hatsuharu! You caught that?”
“No, I've been listening the entire time, just waiting for the perfect moment to jump into the conversation.” Yuki sighed again.
“Haru…”
“Are you having a party?” He asked again.
“Well, Momiji's coming over. Oh, course we haven't asked Shigure, but he's never been one to turn down a Juunishi's visit to his house.” Yuki said, looking at Momiji quietly chatting with Tohru, Uo and Hana.
“True,” Haru nodded. “In that case, could I spend Christmas at Sensei's house? I've got nothing better to do.”
“I thought you going to go bug Rin.” Yuki said.
“Yuki, you don't bug Rin. That's dangerous.” Haru replied, “I was going to go see her, but I gave up that plan when she nearly punched me when I suggested the idea.” Yuki just shrugged.
“I guess Shigure wouldn't object to you joining us too.”
“You two should come by after school!” Tohru exclaimed. You could practically see the light bulb blink into action above her head. Then her face fell a bit. “Although Kyo has been a bit edgy lately. We might not want to irritate him.”
“Speaking of orange-top, where is he?” Arisa asked, and then answered her own question. “Probably skipping again.” Hana added nothing to the particular conversation, just muttered
“This is delicious, Tohru.”
“Oh, thank you! I'm glad you like it Hana! The trick is to…” And Tohru proceeded to tell about the preparation of the dish to Hana, who was indeed interested in her fascination of food.
“Well,” said Arisa, turning back to Yuki and Haru, “When you see him, tell orange-top, he's way overdue for a butt kicking at Dai Hin Min.” I little smile spread across her face.
“Can do,” assured Yuki, as he turned back to finish his lunch.
* * *
“The Yankee said what?!”
“She said you're overdue for another beating at Dai Hin Min, although, she did use varied terms.” Kyo caught the hint.
“Damn Yankee,” he muttered.
“KYO!!” Momiji exclaimed as he tackled Kyo, knocking him over.
“DAMMIT, MOMIJI!! DON'T DO THAT!!” Kyo roared, as he shoved the giggling Momiji off him.
“Hello, Kyo.” Kyo glanced up, shielding his eyes from the sun to see a passive Haru standing above him with his usual gaudy necklaces and earrings. He sighed.
“Hello, Haru,”
“Kyo! Kyo! Guess what?! Guess what?!” Kyo glanced at Tohru who had walked up the drive behind Haru and Momiji.
“Do I want to know?” he asked Tohru.
“Momiji and Hatsuharu will be spending Christmas with us!” Tohru exclaimed, smiling. Yuki saw a look of complete horror flash across Kyo's face.
“Oh, god.” He said.
“Who's going where now?” Shigure interjected from the doorway. He glanced around at the strange group: Momiji and Kyo on the ground, Haru looming over them, and Tohru and Yuki watching from a distance. “And what in the world are you all doing on my porch?”
“We're going to spend Christmas with you Shii-chan!” Momiji exclaimed, leaping into Shigure's arms. Shigure looked at Yuki, who jerked his head in the direction of Haru, sighed and said:
“It's a long story.”
“I think I'd be better off not knowing. But, of course! You two are welcome to spend Christmas in my humble home! That is, if Tohru doesn't mind cooking for a few extra people.” You could practically see the lights go on behind her eyes.
“Of course I don't mind! Not at all!” she exclaimed.
“YEAH! We get to spend Christmas with Yuki, Kyo, Shii-chan and Tohru!” Momiji cried and proceeded to jump and run around with joy.
“Thank you, Sensei.” Haru said passively.
“Oh! That reminds me! If you do manage to get Rin to leave the house this year, she's welcome to come here.” Haru looked at him skeptically.
“I doubt that would ever happen.”
“Don't doubt! “Anything is possible when romance is involved!” as Aaya would say.” Yuki, who had just been listening, added:
Please don't bring him up,” Shigure just smiled. Yuki added: “And don't you dare invite him over!” Yuki continued. Shigure's smile broadened as he walked back into the house, adding sarcastically:
“Now what in the world would give me that idea?” Yuki just sighed. He ran his hand through his hair.
“I have a feeling this is going to be a very long, stressful week.”
“Tell me about it,” Kyo said, forgetting for a moment who he was talking to.
* * *
The week went on. Tohru scurried around the house happy as a squirrel gathering acorns, making food preparations and cleaning. Kyo spent an excessive amount of time training at Kazuma's dojo to help calm his nerves. Yuki spent most of the week up in his room, or at school, doing something or other with the student council.
Shigure, besides Tohru, seemed to be the most active of all of them, running back and forth, spending a huge quantity of time on the phone with either Ayame or Hatori, and depending which one, spent hours talking, or in Hatori's case, spending hours of Hatori hanging up, and Shigure calling him back again and again and again. It was a good thing there were miles of phone line between the two.
But to sum it up, it seems the week before Christmas was…exciting? But nothing would compare to what surprise Shigure had in mind for two certain people…
* * *
Christmas Eve Day:
 
DING DONG!
“I'll get it!” Tohru jumped up from her tea, and ran to the door. Kyo and Yuki listened in from the dinning room.
“Why hello Hatsuharu and Momiji!” they heard Tohru say.
“Haru-kun! Momiji! You made it!” They heard Shigure's voice cut in.
Oh great, was the thought on both their minds. The writer was going to make this evening…well, interesting to say the least. Haru and Momiji walked into the dinning room.
“Yuki! Kyo! We're here!” exclaimed Momiji, jumping on Kyo. Yuki just smiled and shook his head.
“Merry Christmas, Miss Honda,” Haru said, politely nodding his head.
“Oh! Merry Christmas, Hatsuharu!” She said, giving a bow, and a smile. “And you too, Momiji!”
“Merry Christmas, Tohru!” Momiji said, jumping off of Kyo.
“All right!” said Shigure, “Does anyone want tea?” A series of nods and “yes please”s followed.
“I'll go get some!” Tohru jumped up and almost ran into the kitchen with excitement.
“She sure seems cheery,” Haru said once Tohru was out of ear shot.
“Oh, it's Tohru! She get's to cook and be a hostess. She's been practically glowing for the past week.” Shigure replied. They heard a loud clatter and a slight “Ahh!” form the kitchen. Kyo sighed.
“I'll go check on her.” he stood up, trying not to hurry too fast to see what was wrong, or to let the worry show on his face. “To make sure she doesn't hurt herself or catch the kitchen on fire or something,” He strode out the door quickly. They all listened to footsteps, and the steadily increased speed of them as he went down the hall and around the corner to the kitchen.
“What are you smiling about?” Yuki said to Shigure after he noticed a suspicious grin on the dog's face.
“Oh, nothing.” Shigure said in the most unconvincing tone Yuki had ever heard.
“Don't lie, Sensei,” Haru entered the conversation.
“Yeah, Gure-nii! Tell us what's happening!” Momiji said, almost bouncing up and down with anticipation.
“Okay, I'll tell you!” he said. The smile on his face seemed like it was becoming too big for his head. “I put up mistletoe in the kitchen doorway!”
“Oh god,” Yuki said, getting sick to his stomach when he thought of what must be running through the dog's head.
* * *
 
“Hey! What happened in here?” Kyo exclaimed, looking at Tohru wiping the sodden floor with a rag.
“Oh! Kyo! I didn't hear you come in! I, uh, I accidentally burned myself when I picked up the tea kettle, and I dropped it, and the tea spilled all over the floor. Clumsy me. I'm sorry.” She stood up, wiping her forehead with her forearm.
“Stupid,” Kyo muttered, walking forward, stepping carefully to avoid the tea puddles.
“Yes, I'm sorry. Now you will all have to wait for even longer for me to make another batch of tea.” Kyo sighed.
“It's not that. It's not about the tea. We heard you in the dinning room. I…” He felt himself blush, “I was worried about you. Just…just be more careful next time.” He turned around and walked towards the door. He reached the doorway, when:
“Wait!” Tohru caught his arm. He whipped around.
“What is it?”
“W-Will you…will you stay in the kitchen with me a while longer?” she asked, looking away. “I...I know I'm being selfish in asking you to stay, but…” Kyo sighed.
“It's alright. I don't want to go back to that damn rat and the stupid dog anyway.” He looked at Tohru. She had a strange expression on her face. She was looking up. “What is it?” She pointed up.
“Why are there leaves inside?” He looked up. There, hanging in the doorway, was a sprig of mistletoe.
“Oh, that's mistletoe.” She just looked at him, confused. “Do you know what mistletoe is?” She shook her head. “Mistletoe is a part of Christmas. The tradition is, is that when tow people get caught under the mistletoe, they're supposed to…” he finally remembered what mistletoe meant, and he felt his face redden again. He looked down at Tohru, and saw her face light up.
“Oh! Now I remember, we're supposed to…” he saw her cheeks go bright red. There was an awkward silence. Kyo thought for a moment. He wanted this. But, if Tohru didn't want to…he'd try to find out how she felt.
“You remember? So what are we supposed to do?” He asked, playing dumb as if he couldn't remember. Tohru blushed, and then said:
“We're supposed to do this.” She tilted her face upward, stood on her tip-toes, then leaned in and kissed him. When their lips met, Kyo's eyes flew wide open with surprise, then felt them fall closed. His cheeks heated up furiously. The feeling was like floating on cloud. He didn't want it to end. He placed his hands on Tohru's back, leaving a few inches between them, so he wouldn't transform. He felt like he couldn't breathe. Suddenly, she pulled away.
“Uh,” was all he could muster.
“Did I do something wrong?” she asked, the worry starting to appear in her face. “Is that not what mistletoe is for?”
“No,” he shook his head, smiling, “That's exactly what it's for.” He leaned in and kissed her again. He just couldn't get enough of her. It was like drinking after you've been without water for ages. He smiled and whispered into her lips:
“Merry Christmas, Tohru,”
“Merry Christmas, Kyo,” she whispered back.
“Kyo and Tohru sittin' in a tree!” They heard a voice call from the doorway. Kyo whipped around. Shigure was standing there, with possibly the biggest smile Kyo had ever seen. Then Shigure turned around and started walking away, but calling back over his shoulder: “K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” his voice trailing off as he walked away, finishing the song: “First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes a baby in a baby carriage!”
“SHIGURE!!” Kyo yelled as he almost ran after Shigure, but Tohru's hand on his arm stopped him.
“It's all right. Shigure was just teasing. Besides, I want you to stay here with me for a while longer.” He sighed.
“All right. But I only have one question.”
“Yes?” she asked.
“Can you make tea with one hand?” He said, smiling, and taking one of her hands in his own. She looked down at their clasped hands, looked up at him, smiled, then replied:
“I think I can manage.”
* * *
Three Years Later:
“Tohru?” Tohru whipped around
“Oh, Kyo! I didn't see you come in.”
“You busy?” He asked, looking over her shoulder at the half chopped vegetables and then to the boiling pot on the stove.
“Uh…not really…” she said.
“Yes you are. Let me give you a hand.” He walked over to the simmering pot and started stirring.
“Oh, no, that's all right! It's fine! I-”
“Tohru,” Kyo said with that knowing look.
“If you're sure it's not keeping you from anything you'd rather be doing...” She trailed off nervously. He just smiled.
“What would I rather be doing than spending time with you?” he grabbed her hand, fingering the small golden ring on her right ring finger. He'd become increasingly more romantic since he'd proposed to her four months ago. She smiled.
“Kyo…do you remember? It was three years ago…on Christmas Eve, just like today?” He smiled, remembering the night.
“Yeah, and Shigure put up mistletoe in the doorway. Wow, I can't believe it was three years ago…”
“Well, like mother used to say…“Time flies when you're having fun!”” Had it really been five years since she'd been gone? Tohru looked up. “Oh, Kyo…” she pointed up. There, hanging above them, just like that fateful night: was a sprig of mistletoe.
“Do you remember what mistletoe means?” he said grinning, the memory seeming to come to life once more.
“I do.” She said, as they both leaned in to do what people are supposed to do under the mistletoe.

 
 
THE END