Full Moon Wo Sagashite Fan Fiction ❯ Incarnate ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4
 
After the concert, Mitsuki changed into casual clothes and waited behind the curtains to watch the disassembly of the stage. Tonight, she didn't want to go home. Too many important things had happened and she couldn't face Takuto with any answers in her heart. No one could recognize her in her street clothes. No one except her manager, Oshige.
When Oshige tried to take the tired and hungry singer to dinner, she refused saying that Takuto was coming to pick her up. Though it was a lie, she didn't want to drag Oshige into her personal affairs anymore. She was growing up, but she still depended on people to make decisions for her. When the platform was lowered, the park looked as if there was never a concert there. Sighing, she walked over to the swings and sat in deep contemplation. The stars were plentiful tonight and shone on her as if Eichi might have been watching from up above and offering comfort. The moon was full and filled the darkness with its soft light.
As she began swinging, desires that she had never known filled her. If Takuto had kissed her, then maybe she wouldn't be so unsure of herself. He treated her like a child and all she wanted was to be recognized as an adult. Though it didn't matter to her if she was still a child, she just didn't want to be lonely anymore. There was no family left for her to cling to anymore. There wasn't one for four years.
Remembering Tateishi Eichi's warm arms, she missed the endearing feeling he left with her. For one second, she felt the emptiness surround her and turn into two small, protective arms, but it was just for a second. Strangely, it was enough to give her strength to go home and face Takuto. She didn't know what she would say to Takuto, but she was sure that it was a good thing that he came in and put a stop to Eichi's kiss.
It also made Mitsuki think about her own memories. For some reason being confessed to by a boy made her reminisce in her own romance. Happy memories of her days at the orphanage with Sakurai Eichi made her smile as tears filled her eyes. A small sob broke out as she remembered the day Eichi said good-bye to her.
“Hello.”
Wiping at her eyes, she got up and faced the voice that came from behind her.
“Eichi…what are you doing here? You shouldn't be out alone at night.”
Sadly, he sighed, “I heard you crying, so I came to find out where you are hurt.”
She almost laughed, “Unless you can change the past, you can't help where I hurt.”
His head shook sideways, “If you tell me where it hurts, I will try my best to heal the wound.”
Her eyebrow rose, “By the way, little Eichi, why aren't you with your friends? Does where you live let you stay out so late alone?”
A grumble from her stomach broke the possibility of an answer. They laughed together.
“Maybe we should get some solid food before we talk further, little Eichi.”
His small hand reached out to her, asking her to take it. Giggling, she took it and walked off with him to find some food.
“What would you like to eat?”
“Chinese food. What about you?”
“Same here! Let's go.”
The two of them stole away from their responsibilities and walked into the Ping Pong Chinese Restaurant. There was a sweet, chubby girl who took their order.
Mitsuki went first, “I'll have the chicken chow mein and a soda.”
The waitress smiled at the boy.
“And what would your cute little brother like?”
Eichi sat up straight, “Ma'am, we're on a date.”
Mitsuki could only grin at the waitress.
The waitress warmed up, “Siblings dating? That is so cute that you love your sister so much.”
Sighing, Eichi ignored her and ordered his dish of General Tso's chicken. Mitsuki looked at him across the table and wondered if it was wise to keep pushing this child away. He didn't go home tonight, just like her. He seemed to be just as lonely as her, since he was so quick to share his feelings with her. Now it was her turn to pour her feelings out to him, but would he accept them?
“Little Eichi, you know, this age difference between us is not to your advantage.”
“I know. But, I still hope that you will give me a chance to be your boyfriend.”
“Boyfriend? You're only six! How can you think of relationships at such a young age?”
“Well, I am lonely, Full Moon. I have no father, no mother, no siblings. I don't even have a single relation that I know so I can meet them and see where my genes come from.”
A sigh of relief escaped her.
“Is that all? Why don't you wait a few more years and some nice girl who is also close to your age will come along to keep you company all the time. In time, you'll marry her and have children and have a big family, too.”
He raised his voice slightly, “That's not…”
“Here's your food.”
They were interrupted by the waitress who joked with them.
“Miss, can you turn your brother down a bit more gently?”
Then she ran off in the direction of the kitchen. Mitsuki signaled another waitress and asked her to pack the meals for take-out, instead. Complying, she came back with two containers and packed the dinners. Mitsuki took some money out and left it at the table for the service. When they got outside, they spoke again.
“Mitsuki, please listen to me!”
Taking his hand, she crossed the street back to the park.
“Listen, little Eichi, I know exactly what you feel. I felt it when I was at the orphanage, too. No parents or siblings to call upon. No one to protect me from the dangers of the world. I didn't know anything about my parents or where I came from either. My only wish was to find someone to marry and create my own family. So, I understand.”
Eichi stood speechless, opening his mouth to speak but closing it again. She handed him his food and smiled her good-bye. When she knelt down and hugged him, she thought she had gotten through to him about their relationship and age difference. It was only when he pulled her to him and kissed her full on the lips did she see the tears in his eyes.
A sad smile revealed, “I didn't mean I was lonely for you. I meant that I was lonely because of you.”