Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Romance ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

[ Crimson Romance ]
A Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Fanfiction

Chapter Four

The first law of alchemy is equivalent exchange. One must sacrifice something in order to gain anything. This was the part Mr. Kimblee dreaded. There was a deep scowl on his face as he stared at himself in the mirror. In order to get Maria he'd have to swallow his pride.

"Hold still," Brielle scolded him, "Or your lipstick will be crooked."

There was a deep rumble in the back of his throat as the blue haired woman applied the colour to his lips. He'd already had eyeshadow, powder, and what-have-you all over his face. To him this had to the be the ultimate sacrifice. There really must have been something about the Mexican woman that would drive him to do this. Ever since he met her he'd been acting crazy. Well, crazier. Never in his life had he felt this way about anybody. What was this insanity?

Brielle had asked him what colour dress he'd wanted. He told her he wanted the most simple outfit there was to offer. He didn't care about frills or lace or anything like that. He wanted something clean. Something light. He wanted something that wouldn't de-masculate him any more than what the make-up had already done.

So, she let him borrow a little black dress. It was perfect for just about any occasion. It could be worn anywhere. Cocktail parties. Birthday parties. Engagement parties.

He twitched at the thought of that wretched dyke getting her hands on Maria. Who the hell did she think she was? And especially because Maria appeared to be Ishvalan. What kind of sick fetishes did this Mistress have, anyway? He wasn't sure if he was doing this because he wanted to win or because he genuinely cared for the Mexicana.

"I said hold still." The blue one frowned.

"Right," He replied, "Sorry."

"Doesn't matter now, though. We're done with the lipstick." There was an inquisitive look on her face, "Do you think he needs anything else, Felix?"

She twisted the lipstick back into its tube and replaced the cap.

"Maybe a little cleavage," Felix was already in drag. And he looked damn good in in it, too. If Solf weren't entirely straight he would have envied the young man. The servant leaned over the older man and pulled down the front of Solf's dress and reached in to push his chest together. "Quick, Miss Brielle -- get some tape."

"I'm right on top of that." Brielle placed the tape on Solf's chest. They let go and the shape stuck. "Now he needs some padding.."

She then took the water balloons and stuck them down his bra.

"Perfect," Felix smiled softly, "Now, I'll do your make-up Miss Brielle but first I have to see if my wig is going to stick. Could you please move, Mr. Kimblee?"

The alchemist nodded and got up from the seat. Felix sat down in front of the vanity mirror and started fretting over his wig.

"Mr. Kimblee, you're entirely too lucky." The servant applied another layer of lipstick and pressed his lips together. When he opened them again, they made a popping noise. "With hair like that you have no need for a wig."

The false hair that Felix was wearing reminded Solf of an overly dressed cockatiel. If Maria were there she would have said that Felix's hair was reminiscent of Miss Dolly Parton with a few green streaks in there. His hair was entirely too big.

"You sure you don't want your hair curled, Mr. Kimblee?"

"I'm positive." There was no way in hell that queer servant of Brielle's was getting a hold of  his       hair.

.o.o.o.

Maria wasn't sure.  She'd been spending hours trying to figure out what to wear for her date. That wouldn't have been a problem if she knew what kind of make-up she wanted to wear.  Why did she always make things more difficult than they ought to be?

Would she wear the green or the purple outfit? She frowned, holding them up side-by-side in front of the mirror.

The purple outfit consisted of a large shirt and slacks. The other was a dress with pink tights to go beneath it. It was an old outfit that reminded her of something her older sister wore in the early 90's. Since then, she'd taken out the shoulder pads and had hemmed the dress so it would stop just above her knees.

Her boyfriend, Steven -- who was of about twenty-two years compared to her eighteen -- was going to pick her up at seven. They'd went out on dates maybe twice a week. He'd been pushing for them to have sex but Maria had always said no. She wanted it to happen at a very special time. Little did she know how much that annoyed him. Though, she was young and in love so she wouldn't have noticed any fallacies in him.

Looking at herself in the mirror, she smiled. It was going to be perfect. Their next date after this one would be prom. Then after that she would graduate with the class of 2000 and start her life with her boyfriend.  They would go to the last dance, he'd be there for her graduation, and then maybe after a few years he would propose to her.

Everything was perfect and falling into place.

That was when the phone rang. She dropped the clothes on her bed and reached for the phone on her bed stand. She was the only one home because Patrick and his mom had left for work. The only person who would be calling would be. . .

"Mom?" She asked after picking up the receiver.

"You're good, you know that?" The older woman chuckled over the line.

"Yeah, I try my best."

"Hey, babe -- Could you pick up Julia from soccer practice? I won't be able to get off of work for another couple of hours."

Maria's eyes strayed over to her alarm clock. It wouldn't be seven o'clock for a while. "Yeah, I'll go pick her up. Is she at the elementary school or is she at the field?"

"She'll be at the school. Oh -- and while you're out -- could you pick up some frozen broccoli and cheese? I know you're not eating with us tonight but I'm going to fix some casserole. You can have some tomorrow if you want."

"Oh, right -- I'll pick those up too."

"I'll see you later, babe."

"Love you, Mom."

"Love you, too."

They hung up. Maria took in a deep breath and picked up her keys and purse from off of the dresser and took off.

.o.o.o.

"Is mommy working late again?" Julia asked. Her tiny frame sported her work-out clothes. It was a simple jersey with black shorts. There was a headband around her head to catch the sweat while her hair was up in a pony-tail.

Maria smiled as she turned in her seat to check if the child's buckle was on right. "No. She'll be home in a couple hours. How was practice?"

Only six years old, Maria thought to herself, My, how the years go by...

"It was okay, I guess. It's Friday. Do I have to do my homework tonight?"

"You know how your mother feels when you procrastinate."

"I'll do it tomorrow morning after the cartoons."

"Good. You know the rules about doing homework on Sunday night."

"Yeah, I know." Julia gave a sigh.

.o.o.o.


gWhat a lucky young woman you are, to have all these natural waves and curls. All we're going to have to do is give it some extra bounce and you're on your way!h Said the servant who was primping at the Mexicana's hair.

gYou really think so?h Maria smiled brightly, looking in the mirror at herself, then through the reflection at the older woman.

gJust beautiful! You're going to look gorgeous for tonight's celebration.h

gCelebration? Shouldn't I go tell Brielle and Solf, first? What if they want to come...?h There was a hint of anxiety in Maria's voice.

gOh, we've already told your blue haired friend about it. She didn't say whether she'd come or not.h

Looking down, the Mexicana felt a little disappointed. Why should she, though? It wasn't like Brielle really wanted anything to do with her. After her portion of the contract was done the Bellavarde might not want anything to do with her, proving her own attachment to her. Am I really nothing to her?

What with all the threats to transmute her body into a wall or her mouth to an object just to get her to shut up, she wouldn't be surprised if Brielle just up and left her after all this was over. Though, for some reason, Maria felt a sort of warmth for the woman; a kind of love that could only be found in true friendships; the kind of friendships you'd find on 90's women-oriented sitcoms.

gWhat about Solf? Did he want to come?h Her emerald eyes rose, if only being half-hidden by her lids and lashes.

gNow we just have to see what kind of dress you'll wear..h The servant said, moving away from the vanity stand, completely ignoring the last set of questions. That was when something felt wrong within her. What was the purpose of all of this? Being nice to her ? inviting her into their home..

But how could she question the kindness of other people? This was a different place in time; a different era. Things weren't the same here as they were in California. Here was a tighter knit community, right? People depended on each other and loved one another, didn't they?

How unfortunate it was for Maria that she thought so highly of people from this world. She had no idea how similar and maybe even moreso sinister things were here than at home. That was the fate of a Mary-Sue, though. It would lead to her demise, depending on whether Crimson Alchemist willed it or not.

.o.o.o.


It was mostly agreeable, sitting there in her seat, sipping at her fruit smoothie. Maria had always been a little shy at first. She figured that the Mistress ? whose name she learned is Lucille ? would eventually come out and introduce her to her friends and guests. She had already become familiar with some of the house staff, whom she was reminded to refer to as servants.

In the background there was a live band playing mostly playing classical music. She thought that they might as well, seeing as everyone was wearing the big hoop dresses. Well, mostly everyone. Very few wore dresses that would have befitted a party in the 20's. The year was 1916, after all. She probably should have not thought it was so strange. She would have to get used to things for a while. That was when it hit her. She had no idea what Patrick did to be able to transport them into this world. It was obvious that Brielle and Solf hadn't a clue what she was talking about. If they didn't completely understand or even accept, then there would have been a problem asking them about it.

She took big gulps of her smoothie, trying to avoid thinking any more on that subject. Once that was down, she could feel the cold practically crush her sinuses. Dammit, I drank too fast.

Maria sat at a table by herself, by a small stage that seemed to be the horizontal focal point of the room. The main focal point, though, was the ceiling. To her it seemed to kind of a rip on the Sistine Chapel, except that she noticed that nearly all the figures were of women and there was no indication of a piece with man(or woman, in this case) touching fingers with God. She was somewhat disappointed. Mostly bored, but still disappointed.

The room seemed to glow with the walls being a soft golden and an creamy white. The floor was the typical wood paneling. There was mingling; there was dancing. There were a few there that were even dressed in suits.

Her eyes flattened in annoyance as she sighed. I wonder if Brielle even cares that I'm here? I know Solf was definitely a bit tense when I left...

Sitting up in her seat, she placed her hands into her lap. Looking down, she sighed, taking in the designs in the dress she wore. It was a silky pinkish-white and somewhat plain. Thankfully, it was the plainest out of all the options she'd had. She didn't want to stand out any more than she would, seeing as everyone was white. Not a single mocha or chocolate gal in the vicinity. It made her feel self-conscious and timid. That was probably why she wasn't socializing.

That was when the servant that was attending to her approached the table. She lifted emerald eyes, the woman catching her attention. There was a questioning look on her face.

gThe Mistress will make her entrance very soon, I promise you. I see you enjoyed your drink. How are you feeling?h

Maria's eyes started getting somewhat heavy and her focus was fogged over. She'd drank alcohol before but she didn't taste even the slightest of bitterness. There was no way they could have..

gA little tired,h The Mexicana replied, gSay, what was in this drink?h

gYou need to stay awake just a little bit longer, Miss Ishvalan. You don't want to miss the great celebration, do you?h

gCel..Cele..Celebration?h Who does she think she is? I'm not Ishvalan!

gBe a good girl and do as you're told. She'll be out momentarily. When she comes out, you need to stand. It'll be respectful.h

gO--..Okay.h It was getting harder for Maria to think, let alone speak. This place reminded her much of a castle of medieval times. On the outside it appeared to be a mansion that was suitable for the day but on the inside it was something else entirely. If she weren't groggy then she would have mentioned to the woman how incredible it was.  

Before she could muster up another thought, the noise had quieted down. They were awaiting something. Lifting her eyes, she noticed the lights somewhat dim and the spotlights shining on a doorway. They were held open by servants, allowing the Mistress to come walking on. She wore a tighter dress than the others, which made her look a little more modern than the rest of her company.

It took Maria a little bit before she had the initiative to stand. Out of respect, she'd said? What the hell was in that drink?

She was either drugged or that was one sweet and powerful liquor.

gAnd welcoming, Mistress Lucille!h The Mexicana didn't even get to see the woman gracefully walk down the stairs. Maria had plopped down in her seat and put her head in her arms on the table. Oh God, my head..!

All around her was the sound of applause. With her strongest attempt to sit up straight, she just couldn't. The room was spinning with the blur of colours and lights. She lied her head back down and groaned.

.o.o.o.

gWell, we're here.h Brielle said in a flat voice.

gOoh, I hope they serve those fruity little cocktails.h Felix gushed, his accent much more feminine than before.

gRemember what we're here for,h Kimblee interrupted, stepping in beside them.

gHoney-gurl,h Felix retorted, gIf you're going to look the part, you might as well act the part. Talk like me and Brielle.h

A couple seconds of silence went by, in which they'd assumed Kimblee thought over what they said. Much to their surprise, he replied without much change in his voice, gFuck that shit. Where's Maria?h

The man-servant sighed. Brielle rolled her eyes. The Crimson Alchemist disappeared into the crowd, looking through every face with precision. Thanks to his photographic memory, he would be able to spot her. Not only that, he'd memorized her scent. Just like any creepy guy would. With that thought, he smirked to himself and pushed through the clusters of women.

He may have been wearing a dress but it certainly wasn't going to change him a single bit. All it did was irritate him. He didn't care if his ancestors immigrated to Amestris wearing kilts and swinging their axes and clubs and swords ? in freaking skirts! ? this would be the first and final time he would ever wear a dress.  This was all that dyke's fault. From what he'd heard from the chatter outside, it was apparent that this Mistress of theirs was a polygamist. And since she couldn't legally be one, she had a giant harem to make up for it.

Solf was lucky if he could find a single woman to marry; which, of course, he'd had difficulty finding. It would be hard to keep a woman once she figured out that he enjoyed explosions and carnage and all that. What was funny was that he'd never found someone who'd accept all of him. Maybe it was the blood he'd inherited from his ancestors; they'd often enjoyed war. It was what made a man a man. Of course, he wouldn't have had to wear all the war paint or masks. He could easily contort his face to put the fear of annihilation in his opponents' hearts.

However, it was pretty rare for him to soften his features to welcome a more intimate relationship. When he talked to Maria it was different than how he'd talked to anyone else. It was usually this tone of voice he'd use with those he intended to snare in with a kind word before a kill or kidnapping. With the way he talked with the Mexicana was distinctly different than how he talked to anyone else. He had no intention of snaring her ? well, except into his arms, of course ? or of ever hurting her. It was just his luck that he'd had her trapped ? had her bound to him through a contract.

It may have been a manipulative way to keep her at his side but it would have to do for now until they'd gotten to know each other, then he'd make his next move. But unfortunately, he had to keep an eye on how he acted around the blue-haired one. She just rubbed him the wrong way and it was apparent he'd done the same for her. She was definitely no one that he'd want to involve himself with for very long. Brielle was cold-hearted, which, from the outside, would have been an obvious match for him. Most people would have assumed someone as sadistic as he would find happiness with someone as equally yoked. However, this was exactly the opposite from what he wanted.

He wanted someone who was softer than that; someone sweeter and more compassionate than he; someone that might melt his frigid heart. Never did he figure that he would ever find something like that, which was why he continued with the killings. It seemed a little deranged, even for him, to stop his bad habit to trade it in for something fluffy. What was he thinking? He loved the sight of blood. He greatly enjoyed the pain and the screams. Once a demon, always a demon, right?

His crystal blues scanned the area. His thoughts had slowed his steps. That was when he noticed a servant helping the Chicana up onto the stage. That was where the main event would take place. He couldn't allow it.. No, he wouldn't allow it to happen.

Maria....! Shoving his way through the crowd, he'd made it to the stage. Where the hell were the stairs? Frantically, he looked about and upward.

gLet Maria go!h He shouted, without taking consideration that his voice was at a much lower decibel than those around him.

With a gasp, the Mistress pointed down at him, gA man! There is a man in my presence! Quickly ? escort him out of here!h

Climbing onto the stage, he grabbed the hem of Maria's dress.

gMaria!h He shouted, pulling it down somewhat. Against good fortune, he was pulled away by the hands of several women. The Mexicana and the Mistress were led off stage.  At the door leading farther into the mansion, Mistress Lucille was led off into her dressing room. The woman that held open the door was Brielle herself.

gYou drunk already?h The blue-haired one smirked, leading Maria through the dance hall. She grabbed the back of Felix's collar and drug him away, causing him to drop his margarita. gC'mon, IDIOT!h She yelled out to the Crimson Alchemist, who was swamped by women.

That was the dumbest thing the she could have done. It caught the attention of the rest of the ball room. And like the angry soccer moms Maria had a deathly fear of, they bustled toward them.

gGet Maria out of here! I'll solve this problem right now!h

gDon't kill anybody, Roach!h

Seeing as the Mexicana could barely stand, Felix propped her up upon his back and ran toward the exit with Brielle. Noting their departure, Solf gave a twisted smile and clapped his hands together. While separating them, there was an electrical charge that reverberated around his hands. He slammed them down onto the brand new wood paneling.

From outside, while the group ran toward the main gate, the side of the building exploded, causing many pieces of the wall to go flying and the dust and smoke to float toward the heavens.

gC'mon, Roach! ..I said not to kill anybody!h

The fire glowed behind his figure, dimming up the night sky. He was somewhat hunched over, making his way over the debris he'd created with his destruction. Pretty soon, his face was illuminated, revealing a twist of his usual smile beneath his messy hair. Very little of his eyes were seen.

He caught up with the departing group. Sitting upon Felix's back, Maria saw some of the Alchemist's face.

Yo soy muy fatigado..Sr. Kimblee.. Her vision turned black after that.

.o.o.o.

It was all over the radio that night. However, as usual, the news reporters got the story completely wrong. Not that it wasn't in their favour, though. The report was about a supposed terrorist attack and that it was all orchestrated by three women. Seeing as Maria was such a hassle, the Mistress decided not to go after darker skinned women ever again.

 They stayed at the same inn as they had the night before, sitting around the radio laughing at the report. The police were looking for a woman whose specialty was explosives. There wasn't any thought of it being alchemy.

Maria lied on her belly on the couch. Her head was somewhat propped up by a pillow. She was dead asleep, facing them. A single hand went to her head, brushing away the locks from her eyes.

gYou really like her, don't you?h Brielle asked with a stiff face.

gAnd what if I do?h Solf replied, still watching the sleeping Mexicana.

gYou barely even know her. It's been three days. With the way you fancy her.. it seems a bit ?g

gCreepy?h The alchemist smiled while petting the darker woman.

gMm..h Brielle nodded. gIf you really like her that much then wait before you make any moves. She's a lot more gentle than the rest of us. I don't think she could handle a fling and then just walk away.h

gI have no intention of making it just a fling. Besides, we can create new memories for her to replace the empty ones.h

gBut you and I both know that even though she's amnesiac, she still has her head full of other ideas about how her life was. Do you think she'll eventually admit that she's either amnesiac or insane?h

Felix hadn't paid attention to the conversation. He was too busy changing the tuner on the radio.

gIt's really strange, isn't it?h Solf asked.

gI've been through stranger.h Brielle replied.

gI thought you were going to say, gI've seen stranger.h What do you mean, gbeen throughh?h

gShe may have been stupid enough to spill her heart out to you but I don't have any intention of telling you anything about me, Crimson Alchemist.h Brielle lastly replied, with her voice of ice. She got up from her seat and headed back toward the sleeping quarters. Stopping in the open doorway, she placed a hand on the frame and turned toward him, gLeave that bitch out here. She talks too much in her sleep. It would have been a real pain if it were in our language but she insists on speaking another.h

Turning back around, the blue one headed to her room. Solf pressed his brows together and looked back down at the Mexicana.

gLooks like I know what I'm doing with you.h He gently tossed her over then scooped her up in his arms bridal style and carried her through the hallway that led to their quarters. Since it was already open a crack, he quietly kicked it open and lied the woman in his bed, pulling the covers over her.

“Good thing the drug will wear off. Sleep well, angel.”

Solf kissed her forehead then left to sleep on the couch himself.

.o.o.o.

It had been almost a month since Julia had learned how to ride her bike. Being the one who taught her, Maria was proud. After a week of learning she'd been able to take off her training wheels. A smile filled her face when she'd watched the little girl ride around the cul-de-sac. It was perfect, watching her on her small, pink bicycle. It even had frayed ribbons poking out of the handle bars.

It was great that she could teach her earlier than what she would have in New York state. There probably wouldn't have been anywhere for her to learn other than Central Park. And even then, they would have had to wait months. Also, the park would have been filled with people.

gOh-oh! Your balance!h Maria shouted when she noticed the girl tilting over to the side. Thankfully, she'd caught herself and stood up on her feet with the bike betwixt her legs. Turning around, Julia gave a big smile and laughed.

gMaria, I'm okay!h

gGood thing you didn't fall, Jules! Now let's see you go in circles and then ?g

He wasn't sure how many he drank. When he did drink, it gave him the confidence of ten men. However, it did diminish what proper judgment he did have. He only had a couple. Nothing that would show up on a breathalyzer, right? He was beneath the alcohol level for driving, right? How stupid it was to drive drunk in a suburban area.

It didn't happen with tires skidding like in the movies. It was more like a silent movie for Maria to watch before hearing the loud thud. Julia had been hit, throwing her off her bicycle. Time had slowed not only itself down but Maria's movements as well.

gJULIA!h Harshly, Maria closed her eyes to ready herself to run to her but when she opened them, she was lying in bed. It felt familiar; smelled familiar. Nothing that she would remember right away. Her green eyes stayed still as she stared across the surface of the pillow, over at the bed stand. With the light coming in through the window, she'd known she slept in late. That and where the hands were on the old alarm clock, if it weren't obvious enough. Lying in front of it, she'd noticed a pocket watch. She reached over and took hold of it and turned over onto her back. She held it above her and looked it over. It had the typical lion logo on it that she'd noticed from seeing military flags and other items.

Solf.. She lipped his name once, instead of saying it aloud, remembering where she was.

The chain dangled down over her arm, her emerald eyes tracing it. The pocket watch was proof that she was in Amestris and not on some exotic trip with Patrick. It was typical of him, a fanatic of sorts, to want to zap himself into the world of alchemy in order to live happily ever after with his beloved. However, from what she'd read(even if it were just a little bit) out of his manga collection, she wasn't so sure that the Havok fellow would even consider his proposal. Did Patrick know something about changing the story-line to fit his own little fantasy? And that's what it was, a fantasy. Of course, Maria had to rethink this view because of her circumstances. Look at where she was! Traveling with a blue-haired maiden and Solf J. Kimblee, of all sorts!

Well, it was better than traveling with the Elric chimps. And that's exactly what she'd thought of them, too. Super powered, obnoxious kids. That's what they were! Alphonse wouldn't have been a problem. Dealing with Edward would have. She knew that they'd argue from the beginning. Even so, she had to recapture everything.

The main character was this kid who talks his brother into helping him attempt to bring their dead mother back to life. Doing this, he loses his leg and his brother's body. In those dire moments, he gives up his arm to bind his brother's body to a suit of armour. Basically, what he did cost him an arm and a leg and now he's on some journey to make amends. Typical tragic story. What an annoying Mary-Sue.

With a groan, Maria turned over, covering her head with the pillow, staring out from under it at the watch she'd held. I suppose now I'm the Mary-Sue.

Wiggling her nose, she wondered why Solf was so nice to her. She kind of figured that he'd be completely business oriented. Perhaps he was making her requirements in the contract a lot easier? Whatever it was, she hoped that she could trust him. Well, he was a villain, right? Why wasn't he acting as so around her?

She hissed inward, seeing the image of Patrick being drug into the gate. She missed him a lot. Things were pretty bad, weren't they? If he were there, she was sure he'd have something completely obnoxious to say about the situation and make her laugh. Painfully, she smiled and sat up, the pillow falling off of her. It was about time that she'd gotten up. If she would have stayed any longer it would probably be dinner time.

Speaking of which! She should have been up to fix Mr. Kimblee breakfast and do his laundry! Throwing the covers off of her, she planted her feet down on the floor. Before she could actually stand, she felt dizzy.

gOh God..h She said to herself. What happened? The last thing she remembered was being drug off the stage with the Mistress to meet Brielle at the door. Other than that, she didn't have a clue. Must have been something in the drink that did it. She hoped there was aspirin somewhere. Holding herself up, she went through the drawers of the end table next to the bed. Nothing!

“There has to be medicine somewhere!h Maria never had a hangover before because she rarely drank, but she could imagine that this was what one would have felt like.

Pushing herself up, she stood, leaning against the wall all the while trying to keep from having another head rush. After a few steps she was confident in her footing and stood on her own. She opened the door and walked out and through the hallway toward the living area.

There, Mr. Kimblee was sitting in a chair, one leg crossed over, reading an old newspaper and drinking a cup of tea. When he sensed her coming toward him, he set the paper in his lap and turned toward her, blue eyes fixed on hers.

Before Maria could speak, Brielle walked in and interrupted them.

gIt's about damned time you woke up! Look, I got us jobs at a local carnival. We're going to be making corn dogs and all other kinds of disgusting, fried food. You owe me, so you'd better come with so we can fit our uniforms.h

And, of course, before she mustered up the nerve to ask questions ? or even refuse ? the blue one grabbed her arm and drug her out of the inn.


.o.o.o.
Converting /tmp/phpKQ5vtf to /dev/stdout