Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Romance ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

[ Crimson Romance ]
A Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Fanfiction

Disclaimer:
 No, you cannot have cookies.  The End.

Chapter Eight

And of course she would be stuck doing grunt work all because she refused to join the military and the fact that she didn't have all the fancy experience doing the high-pay jobs. On top of that, she didn't exactly have a college degree to her name and she'd quit in the middle of high school to get an alternative diploma just so she could get a minimum wage job. All because her family wasn't very supportive after her parents had died.

 She had no choice but to quit school and get a job to feed and clothe herself. Sad news for her, though, is that because she didn't get any support from anyone she had to live out this cycle of working terrible jobs and spending nearly every cenz she'd accumulated just to keep herself afloat. She knew, too, that this wasn't living. This was surviving, having every breath sucked out just like the money in her pockets.

 It wasn't that she hadn't considered joining the military; it was just that she knew if she did, she'd just be another chosen candidate for human sacrifice. She had no wish to be a part of that. She did wish, though, that she could be a part of the rebellion to stop such an insidious thing from happening but because she didn't network well with other people,  or even groups of people, she had the other choice of just leaving the country altogether. But Maria..

Ah, who cared about Maria? The abominable wench had abandoned her. What with having to pay for all the amenities provided, Brielle was happy that the woman was gone. Well, for the most part.  What she did miss – and she did, though would never admit it – was that for the first time in a long time she'd actually had a friend. Somebody to share dinner with. Somebody to talk to first thing in the morning instead of grunting at the man who worked in the lobby of the inn.

But for now she didn't have time to worry about such things. She'd had exactly three minutes left to clean the last of the urinals before her boss came in to yell at her for being too slow. Not that she had bad timing but these days she was just grating on his last nerve. All because she'd discovered a more efficient way to clean the stalls than what he'd set out for his employees.

At least he didn't have to pay her checks every other week. For her, this was just temporary and then she'd be traveling to the next stop, to the next job.

Holding up the bottle, she sprayed the last remaining urinal. She wiped it down then threw the rag onto the cart, put the chemicals away and pushed it out into the hallway.

Her blue hair was wrapped up in a handkerchief. She wore a tank top under her overalls and took off her rubber gloves and placed them on the cart.

“Good as usual, Bellavarde.” Said the man she'd called boss. Then he continued sarcastically, “Too bad you won't be staying with us for long-term.”

“Yeah, too bad.” She replied with a flat tone.

“Here's your pay.” He handed her a rolled up bundle of cash.

“Thanks.” I guess..


It was nearing dusk when she'd made it out of the building. Brielle reached around her head and took out her ponytail, allowing her sky blue hair to fall upon her shoulders. Again, it was growing too fast. Way too fast. It hadn't even been a month and a half since she cut it and already it was hitting her collar. She assumed it was probably one of the gifts that thing from the other side had given her. She was very hesitant to call the thing God.  She hoped she'd never have to see Him again. And if she did, He'd better have a damn good reason for summoning her. Even then, she would give him hell for even bothering.

Her feet were shuffling over the pavement when she lifted her head and noticed someone approaching her from the distance. It was that damned Mexican!

Brielle's eyes of lavender changed their expression. She was none-too-pleased to see her friend. With the way that she was coming to her, she seemed a little too happy and bouncy. Something wasn't right.

“Hey Bri~” Maria said cheerfully, smiling with her eyes.

“...Maria.” The albino held in a hiss.

“I left Kimblee and decided to follow you. Do you have any idea how hard it was to find my way around town?”

“Oh really, now?” Brielle crossed her arms and leaned her weight onto one foot.

 Upon opening them again, the Mexicana revealed bright red eyes.

“Have you found any information regarding the Oroborus family?”

There was a brief silence between the two. Looking a little uncomfortable, the Chicana continued the conversation. “Something wrong?”

Brielle hadn't changed her expression. She was not impressed. “Really?

“Really what, Bri?”

“Maria, what is your full name?” A brow had risen as the albino shifted her weight.

“Um.. What does that have to do with anything?” Once the sun had been fully exposed before landing behind the landscape, it revealed the full scaled colour of Maria's red eyes.

That had given it away, “For one, Maria, how would a foreigner like you know anything about the homunculi? Two, Maria isn't Ishvalan, she is Mexican so her eyes would be green not red.  Three, she's more concerned about returning to California than anything having to do with the Oroborus family.”



Eyes of the imitation set into a glare.



 “I'm going to ask you this once,” Brielle reached behind her, took a few steps back, leaned over somewhat and swiped out a pair of fans. “Who are you?

“What an observant little bitch you are, Bellavarde,” The woman's voice had changed. Taking the albino's cue, she had leaned over as well. Red electricity ran over her, changing her body into its original form.

 “I'm guessing you're Envy and by the way you're talking,” Brielle said darkly, “You have no intentions of letting me go.”

“I have no intentions of letting you live.” The homunculus laughed.

 “You and your goons may have taken my body, but by all means, you cannot have my soul!”

“HA! I knew you were familiar. Which sacrifice were you? Obviously, it wasn't for a Philosopher's Stone.”

“Do you remember Dr. Scott Jemmings?”

“Yes. He was an excellent sacrifice for a stone.”

“You sacrificed him!? After all the things he did for –“

“I remember him talking about wanting to exchange a young woman's soul so he could use her body to revive his dead lover.”

The albino's eyes widened at the memory.


.o.o.o.


It rained a lot in East City, she made note. At that time she was one of the youngest applicants to become a State Alchemist. A mere sixteen years old. A year had passed and already she was exposed to the darker sides of a militaristic life. Already had she'd bloodied her hands. What for, she wouldn't learn until she'd met Scott.

A sigh escaped as she leaned against the window, her elbow resting against its sill and her face against the knuckles of her hand. This was one of the worst things they could have done to her. She wanted to climb the ranks, not fall down them like a horrid version of Chutes and Ladders.

However, if she hadn't, she wouldn't have been hired to become the assistant of the great Dr. Scott Jemmings.

 They had spent many hours together in his labs. They had gotten very close in the span of a year. She was barely eighteen when it had happened. The thing she would never forget. The thing she would never forgive.

Within that time frame he had revealed to her the entire plan the homunculi and their Father had made for the country. Near the end of their relationship, she wanted to fight it. Wanted to stop it. However, it was very hard to convince the doctor to join her in her rebellion. He was too entrenched in this that he felt that there was no way out. He told her that he wanted to attain immortality and work with Father to be one of the Chosen Ones to take over and run the next country.

Who was Father and what were the homunculi? She'd asked him.

He explained to her that Father was a homunculus, an artificial human being, himself. Once he had lived in a flask and had made a friendship with a  slave whom he would favourably call Van Hoenheim.

Father had deceived the leader of Xerxes by telling him he could give him immortality, as well. The entire nation of Xerxes was eliminated in a single blow, creating a Philosopher's Stone in himself and in Hoenheim. He'd taken Hoenheim's DNA and created a body for himself, looking exactly like the former slave.

Then, in an attempt to become perfect, Father would simultaneously expel his human sins – Pride, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, Wrath and Sloth – creating more artificial humans.

The day she decided to work against their leader, the unimaginable had happened.


Sitting there next to the window all she could do was wait. She was awaiting their decision to court martial her. To the outside it would look like they'd executed her in a firing squad. However, she knew that she would probably end up in prison or as another one of those filthy chimera.

For a split second she cringed. Now that she knew the truth, what were they going to do with her? After all, she had refused to be a part of their grand scheme. Pressing her brows together, she closed her eyes tightly. There was no way she was going to cry. If only there were a way out of this.

The office, for the most part, was empty. They had locked her in the room. She could have easily unlocked the window and jumped out. Even if she did survive the plummet, the injury to her legs would be so severe that she wouldn't have been able to escape.

Her attention had switched from the window to the door.

“Katherine!” It was Dr. Jemmings who had swiftly opened the door. There was a bright look of hope in his eyes.

“Scott?” The tears would have flown if she hadn't held them back. She wanted to appear strong before him, not like some weeping ninny. Funny, the words that were used back then..

“Come with me. I have a way you can avoid court martial.”

“You do?” She perked up.

“Come with me.” And they left.

They went to the regular labs. However, this time around he'd not really turned on the main light. He lit a candle and led them through.

“Sit on this chair. Be as comfortable as possible.” The doctor had led her there.

Suddenly, a blaring light came on. It was much like a stage light. For a longer period of time, this time, did she cringe. Then other stage lights were around her.

Placing a hand over her brow, she did her best to shadow her eyes from being blind. Below her, she noticed chalk marks on the concrete.

 She let out a small gasp. This wasn't.. It wasn't – he would never! ..Or would he?

He crouched down on the outside of the drawn circle, placing his hand on the edge of it.

Before she could take another breath, she was screaming.

“Come back to me, Miranda!” He'd called out as the soul of the woman he'd known as Katherine Daniels was ripped from her body.

She remembered the pain; oh, she remembered the excruciating pain. She also remembered floating upward somewhat, then disappearing.

That was the last time she'd ever see the doctor. In fact, she didn't want to see him again. She knew if she did, she would wring his neck.



Without a form, just a light blue, floating ethereal orb of flame, she wandered through the white expanse. There was nothing here.

“Hello?” Her voice echoed through the blinding emptiness.

Then before her appeared a very tall gate with the familiar image of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life. To her it stood maybe a hundred times taller than her.

 Hello there. Seeing as she didn't have to turn her body to divert her attention, she took in the appearance of the being behind her. It was the same shape she was. However, it had a very large grin on its face. Its teeth were large yet it had no eyes. It was an exact replica – a reflection if one must say – of Katherine's form.

“Hah, ah, uh..” Said her own voice that came from within her. “..Hello?”

What that young man did to you is unforgivable, isn't it? The white orb said to her, though without moving his lips to speak. It seemed he'd talk to her almost telepathically. However, when she spoke, it was the sound of her own voice slightly vibrating throughout the room. How was this possible? However, I'm using this folly to our advantage.

 “Advantage?”

 The tragedy that happened to you we're going to make use of. I can see that you are pure of heart, repenting over and over again for your sins.

“It's all I can do to make up for it. I cannot give life back to those I've killed..”

Because you have good intentions regarding Amestris you'll be made useful to the future.

 “But there is no future.. Not with the things Father has planned. He'll kill everyone..!”

I won't take you that far into the future. Just far enough to meet the right people to stop him.

“Is that even possible?”

Yes, it is. Because the will of many people is more than the will of a single being.

 “What about the Will of God?”

Darling, when you realize that God is not only outside you but also within you then you'll understand.

 There would have been a disconcerted look of confusion but she hadn't any face to express this. However, with the vibration of her own aethereal body, the being knew exactly what she was feeling.

 As above, so below. As within, so without.

“But I don't under–“

You don't need to understand just yet. I'm giving you a second chance. You will be reincarnated and take the body of a baby that recently died. It will pass on but you will take their place. Don't fail me. Many people are counting on you.

“If you're God then – Wait! I have tons and tons of questions to ask before I –“

Now GO.

Before there was a single squeak of defiance she was sucked downward into the body of this baby. A child born part aristocrat and part commoner.

For a moment there was warmth in the darkness. After the last push there was the icy cold air on her skin. With a slap on the bottom by the mid-wife, she started crying.

It was a hard first couple of years. She had to relearn all her motor skills while growing up in this body. She became rather used to this. There were a few things she liked about it and a few things she missed about the old.

The most searing thing about the whole situation was that her entire memory was intact. She remembered everything that had happened. From growing up the first time, graduating from school early, joining the military, being demoted several times, working with the doctor.. Having her soul swiped and speaking with God.


It was all there. It haunted her.



.o.o.o.


Doing as ordered by the General, Major Mi€les had led Maria down to where the Elric boys were located. Alone. This had annoyed the Crimson Alchemist but he allowed it with the thought about what he would do if she betrayed him. There was no way he could possibly punish her for divulging any information about the homunculi. Not that he'd given her enough information about them to begin with but there were always precautionary methods.

Before she'd left he made her promise that she wouldn't bring anything up about Father and to only discuss with them about a way to get her home. With a nod, she kept that vow.

“What is it you're going to discuss with the Elrics, Miss Maria?” The Major asked after they'd entered the elevator and the doors shut.

“It's something of a personal nature,” She said, remembering the warning from Solf and Brielle, “I don't think it's safe to discuss it.”

“That's fine, I suppose.” He smiled. The kind of smile she didn't like. She knew he wasn't being arrogant but it was that knowing expression that always caught her off guard. “It must be something important if you're going to share it with them.”

“Since you're going to be escorting me, I'm guessing you'll be hearing all about it anyway.” She gave in, “I just don't want to say it twice, if you get what I mean.”

“Understood.”

“Okay.” ; She sighed with a closed mouth, through her nostrils.

“You still wouldn't want that drink with me later?”


God no!  There was half a scowl on her face as not only were the doors –  but the conversation –  left  wide open.


.o.o.o.


“You have a visitor, Elrics.” The Major said, giving a plain introduction. “This is Maria Sanchez. She was ordered by the General to come down here to discuss your stories.”

“I told you, we can't tell her!” Edward disputed.

“If you don't tell her, then can you at least tell me?” Maria cooed at him, “And maybe if you're comfortable with me then–“

“Nope.” The blonde said, slurping his under-appreciated and over paid coffee.

“Will you at least listen to my story and maybe help me find a solution?”

He stared at her through squinted eyes above the brim of the cup.

“Oh, come on, Ed. We might actually be able to help her!” Alphonse cried out.

“You don't know who you can trust these days.” Edward replied, closing his eyes.

“If you don't want to share your story with me, then that's fine.” Maria continued, “But at least let me tell you mine. I really need to find a way home and I don't remember what Patrick did to get me here.”

“Patrick?” Fullmetal set his barred arms into his lap, holding his drink.

“I can't figure out how to get home.”

“Take a train.” The blonde said coldly, taking another sip.

“It's not that simple.” The Mexicana frowned.

“No money? Walk it.”

“Edward!” Alphonse scolded.

“Look. I'm from out of state but not in the sense of your country. I live in Burbank, California. My friend Patrick set up a transportation spell to get us here. Unfortunately, he forgot about your “equivalent exchange” process and disappeared into a giant door.”

That was what got Edward's attention. “You saw the Truth?” He turned his head toward her, resting his arms and drink on his legs again.

“Not exactly. I saw him get sucked in and I was sent here. I fell out of the sky on top of this woman and along the way we bumped into Mr. Kimblee and came here.”

“Where's the woman?” The boy asked.

“She decided not to come with us. She wants to stay as far away from military as possible.”

“What's her name?”

“I'm afraid I can't tell you that. I'm protecting her identity, you see.”

“Okay, then. What does Kimblee say about this business of you being from this.. Burbank, Calla.. Calla..?”

“California.”

“What does he say about this?”

“I'm not sure if he really believes me. Him and the woman think I have amnesia and that I'm delusional.”

“Well, that is certainly a very far-fetched story you have there, Miss Maria. The only thing that makes me believe you is about seeing the Door of Truth.” Edward said, looking her in the eyes then averting his own gaze to the floor in a contemplative stance.

“Do you think you could help me?” There was a hint of desperation in her voice. If anybody could do it, the Elrics could, couldn't they?

“That is a very tricky thing. We only just recently found out that to create a Philosopher's Stone human lives have to be sacrificed.”

There was a jolt in her mind, an almost remembrance, “And what does this stone look like?”

“It's red.”

 That almost remembrance turned into a very shocking memory. Solf had two red stones resembling what Edward was talking about at the hospital. Could they possibly be..?

“The General asked me to try and convince you to tell her what your great secret was. I'm not sure what else to say. I've never been one very good with persuasion.”

“It certainly works on Kimblee.” Edward muttered.

“Well, will you tell her or not?”

“I suppose we should but the walls have ears. I don't want anyone else eavesdropping on our conversation.”

“I'm pretty sure the General has a perfect spot for you.” Miles commented.

“It's getting late, Edward,” Maria sighed, “I need to get back. Mr. Kimblee's laundry isn't going to do itself.”

“I'll tell the General of your decision, Fullmetal.” The Major nodded, “We should be on our way then, Miss Maria.”

“Okay.”


.o.o.o.


And the most private place to hold their conversation would have been none other than through the entrance of the trap door they made leading to the tunnel that Sloth, the monster from a chapter ago, had made. While there, the General made it clear that it was completely private down there so that the boys could tell them everything they knew. And boy, they did. Enough to use a map and some wording from another soldier to draw out a transmutation circle on it. Fort Briggs was next on that map.

 “What do those traitors plan to do with my fort?!” Was a typical response from General Armstrong.



.o.o.o.



It had been going on for a while and it wasn't just bantering. It was a bonafide fight and Brielle seemed to be losing rather harshly regardless of how much alchemy was used. Every weapon she'd created from the resources available were easily destroyed. The only hope she had were her fans. They were the only thing that could stand up to the homunculus.

With a grunt, she landed back on her feet after the last attempt to strike him. The only thing she hadn't used was what she specialized in; wind.

“Getting tired already?” Envy scoffed, “What a bore. I thought I would enjoy this. However, however, I'll enjoy killing you anyway.”

“Sorry, loverboy~” The albino smirked as a trail of blood ran down from her temple over her cheek, “I've just begun!”

The homunculus then felt the air change around him. What was this? His eyes darted around the area to see what the difference was. The only thing he felt were waves rippling around him. His sights tried to follow the visible ripples to their concentrated spot. And it was the woman.

He'd never seen any kind of alchemy like this before with all his years infiltrating the military.

 Shit! He mouthed as he jumped out of the way of the first strike. It was a visible aura that was flung his way, taking the shape of a sharp boomerang. Behind him it totaled the front corner of an automobile. That was when he realized that she was being serious. Had she simply been toying with him? Or was she holding back for a reason?

It wasn't time to think about these kinds of nuances because when he turned back toward her one of the large waves had hit his arm. The appendage went flying as he gasped in pain. Without a second thought, though, the missing limb had already regenerated itself. That was what told her that he wasn't human. Other than the ability of a changeling he had proven that he wasn't easily stoppable.

However, if she could decimate most of his body then perhaps he would reveal his true form and she could kill him.

With that thought, she sprayed quite a few of these attacks with her fans to keep him busy. While he was busy dodging them, she would jump onto the hood of a car. Walking with a straight posture, she went over that vehicle then got on top of a van. The albino leaped down onto of him, pinning him to the ground.

Being a sore loser, and naturally jealous of those whose skills may surpass his own, he turned his head to notice other police officers of the military heading their way. Immediately, his form imitated that of the young blonde he'd taken identity of. He yelled out for him. Brielle rolled away.

He took a hold of her sleeve and called out for them. Upon sitting up, the men crowded around him and helped him stand.

 “That woman! Arrest that wo–“ That was when the boy noticed she was gone. All he held in his hand was the jacket she had worn. Brielle had escaped. Damn you, Bellavarde!


.o.o.o.


“You mean we're finally gonna get away from the cold weather?!” Maria chirped as she ironed his spare shirt. There hadn't been any room in the fort for this so she had to resort to doing it in Solf's sleeping quarters. It wasn't a difficult task, seeing as she had always ironed Patrick's shirts for work. Not that he'd had as high profile as Mr. Kimblee's job but it still worked to pay the bills.

“Only for a little bit. We're going down the mountain to pick up Miss Winry.” He smiled while hanging up a pair of ironed pants.

“Oooh! Winry?! Oh, I can't wait! I've always wanted to meet her!”

“Now don't burn yourself.”

“Okay, okay.” She calmed down a bit, steadying her hand. “I'm just so excited. I've uh.. I've just heard a lot about her, is all.”

“Is that so?”

“Where is she right now, anyway?” She held up the shirt for him to hang over the pants.

“Rush Valley.”

“No idea what or where that is.” Her nose twitched a bit from the cotton before she sneezed.

“Bless you.” He said before making his inquiry. “That's a little strange, seeing as you knew exactly where you were when we met in Central.”

That's because I haven't seen the series, goof-nut!  She thought before openly speaking, “You still don't believe I'm from California?”

Solf stayed quiet a moment while pulling his jacket on. He wrapped his lavender scarf around his neck and reached into his pockets for his gloves.

With a frown and a sigh, she pulled on her jacket as well. It was maroon red with a pink, feathered collar. “So, you don't believe me.”

“I never said that.” He put his hat on while watching her unplug the iron.

 “But you never said you do believe me, either!” Her shoulders slumped as they left the room.

“This is something we can discuss later, Maria. I promise we'll get this worked out and find a way for you to get back home.”

“You had better. My patience is growing very thin.”

“I promise.” He tilted his hat at her.

 “But first.. I need to find a restroom.”

“You can use the one in the room. I'll be out here waiting for you.”

“Okay, then.”

.o.o.o.

I'll be starting my period here in about a week or so..  The Mexican thought to herself while sitting on the stool, digging through her purse. I certainly hope I have pads or tampons or something! I definitely won't want to wear the diapers they have in this era. Dear God, the humiliation and discomfort.

Right before she swore she was going to hit jackpot, she hit on something else. Something that would prove her story. Something that would ensure Solf's trust in her and diminish any idea of her being amnesiac. It was an empty, paper prescription bag. It may not have had her name on it but it definitely had Julia's name and address. And to top it all off, it had the date printed on it.


January 20, 2010 11:00am
Julia MacMillain
1234 Sunnyvalley Rd.
Burbank, California

“Yes!” She practically jumped up and down. Anything about the next couple of weeks vanished from her mind. She would finally have the proof she needed. But what of it? Would it even be of any help at all or would it all be for nothing? She had to tell Solf and she had to tell him immediately.

After washing her hands, she rushed out to the hallway to speak with him. However, when she tried to address him about the subject, he said that he'd promised to talk to her about it later and that what was important now was getting Winry there.

Again, she was stalled from any progress. This was the information of a lifetime and he brushed it off. Indeed, Maria felt hurt. Very hurt. And he could tell because while sitting in the car together, she wouldn't talk to him. She would just stare out the window in the most despondent of ways.

“Oh come, now,” He said to her, “I'm sure if it's really important it can wait. We're almost to Rush Valley. Aren't you going to be excited about seeing Winry?”

“I'd be happier in my house listening to a sermon on the radio.”

He didn't say anything after that, just sighed and looked out the window.



.o.o.o.



June 1999.


Burbank, California.


It was an even 82 degrees out. It was kind of hot to her but she figured it would probably be hotter come July or August. To Maria is was perfect weather. She had no idea how her father could move from Mexico to Nevada to New York and survive the winters there.

Coming into the kitchen from around the corner, was a toddler making her way out from the hallway. Her little, bare feet scampered over the cool wood paneling of the floor as she made her way in. Slipping a bit, she nearly fell but caught her balance with a big smile and giggle.

“Mommy!” She reached up for the woman that was sitting at the table, taking another swig of
her coffee. Putting the cup down, she scooted out a bit and lifted the child into her lap.

Maria took out the coffee pot and poured herself and her foster mother another cup. After that was taken care of, the Mexicana served them their breakfast. Sitting across from her was a woman, in the coolest pair of pajamas she could find, with her daughter in her lap, enjoying another morning with her. This indeed had to be paradise.

After spreading a pea-sized amount of butter on her toast, Maria took a bite.

“So, uh, Brighid --”

“Please call me “Mom”,” the blond interrupted her, placing a small piece of a scrambled egg into the toddler's mouth. “Don't be shy. We're family now. Get as comfortable as you want!”

“Okay,” Maria smiled, cutting apart the link sausages on her plate shyly, “Mom – I was thinking about going out tomorrow to put in job applications. It seems Pat beat me to it, though. He's already got a job at a diner.”

“Jobs are important but remember that your studies are just as important. Know that money matters but a good education is worth more value than any dollar. I'm not asking you to be a rocket scientist. I am asking you to at least graduate from high school. College and beyond is entirely up to you.”

“Uncle Carlos should be coming back soon with Pat,” Emerald eyes gazed at the clock on the wall then back down to her plate.

“Did they even come home last night?”

“Nope. And as soon as they walk in, I know they're going to want to go to bed.”

“But it's nearly 11 o'clock.”

“5 o'clock somewhere.”

Brighid sighed, setting Julia down on the floor with her sippy cup. The ice cubes inside it clanked a bit as the toddler ran off.

“They know nothing about responsibility, do they?”

“Hey, as long as they're not tied down I suppose they can do as they like.”

“Can we at least turn on the central air? I'm dying in here, Maria.”

“Okay, I'll shut the windows in here and in the bedrooms. Can you get the living and laundry rooms?”

“Sure, hon.”

And as sure as anything, when Maria went to close the sliding glass door on the patio, she could see Pat and Carlos pull into the back yard and park next to their mom's car.

“Speak of the devil.”

“Pat better not be driving drunk or he's dead.

“Didn't look like he was. Your hopes are the same as mine.” Maria said before leaving the doorway to put down the kitchen window. “I don't think mi Tío would let him, though. He's always looking for a designated driver and Pat was probably a cheaper choice than taking a taxi.”

With a usually cheerful face, Carlos slid the door open and made his way in with Patrick following close behind.

“Aw, man. Why you gotta turn on the air conditioner?” He asked with an accent totally entrenched in Mexican culture, “This ain't nothin'. You have to see the heat we have down in Mexico.”

“Hola, mi Tio.” Maria said, approaching him. With a big smile, he wrapped his arms around her and embraced her.

“Hola, Maria. You're looking more and more like your grandma Carmen every day.”

“Gracias. I wish I had the pleasure of meeting her.”

“We'll all see her in heaven, I suppose.” He replied as Maria pulled out a chair for him. Patrick had already disappeared inside the house.  Then Carlos continued, “Say, Maria, you wanna help me out with a new job?”

Whenever he referred to a “new job” Maria immediately knew it was another one of his money-making schemes. She poured him a cup of coffee then sat down, raising her brows and asked, “Depends on what it is. What's your plan?”

“Well, since the Y2K thing is coming up me and a couple of buddies got together and decided we should form a religious group and get all these people to come together and raise a bunch of money.”

“You're going to form a cult?”

“Yep. You don't believe in this end of the world stuff, do you?”

Then with a small, soft smile, Maria replied with a Bible verse: “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.”

“Man, you should get married before you become a nun. I mean – if you became a nun I'd be happy for you and love you the same but jeez. You're never gonna find a man if you keep –“

Then Brighid cleared her throat and said: “A man like you, you mean. I think it would be fine if Maria found herself a husband in church.”

Maria's brows pressed together. There was the same look on her face as she'd had as a child when she couldn't figure out what to say or whose side to take. Carlos recognized the face and sighed.

“You know, I'm sorry for saying that Maria. I'm sure you'll find a good husband. You just have to know what you want and go for it.”

That was when she wanted to tell them she met Steven. However, he told her to keep their relationship a secret “until the time was right”. She held onto herself and stayed away from anything sexual with him. She wanted it to be perfect. She wanted her own “when the time was right”.

But would he really be the one...?

“You do what you want, Maria.” Carlos said as he got up to leave the kitchen. Coffee wasn't to his tastes at that time. He lied down on the couch and yawned. Around him were boxes in the living room. There were boxes nearly everywhere in the house. That was because a few days ago, they'd just moved into the place and because Carlos had “private business” in California anyway, he thought he'd help them move.

But, as usual, after the work was done he decided to head off to the local tavern to have a bit of fun, taking Patrick – whom he'd dubbed as “the man of the house” – with him.


Later on they had a cook-out and a little party for Julia, since it was her birthday.


Maria wondered if now was a good time to figure out what kind of story she would tell her family and the authorities when she returned to California. And what about Pat? How would she explain his disappearance? There had to be a way that she could get both of them home.

The sign saying “Rush Valley” was something they'd passed by a while back. Now they were just cruising through the city.

“They have a variety of shoppes here,” Solf broke the silence, “Would you like to buy a few things before we pick up Winry? We're early so I don't think she would mind.”

“Oooh, shopping?” That was the wrong thing to ask Maria. She'd had her own woes financially with retail therapy at home. It was something she'd learned to keep under control but if a handsome man offered to buy her sparklies, then why not?

“Driver, we can get out here. We'll return when it's time to pick Winry up.”

With a shrug, the driver pulled over and parked. With a small squeal, the Mexicana got out of the car. She was bouncing around with excitement when she closed the door.

Oh dear, what did I get myself into? Solf thought, wondering if his wallet could handle this.

“Bah, don't worry, Solfie,” She skipped over to his side of the vehicle and linked her arm around his after he closed the door. With a giggle, she continued: “I won't spend you broke. I promise.”

She's considerate. His brows raised somewhat as they began walking through the market.

They were in a district where there were the usual items; clothes, jewelry and food. The rest of the town would have been overflowing with automail shoppes. She thought for sure if she'd went on her own then she'd get lost. That was why she stayed as close to Solf as she could. Even if things weren't going the way she'd liked she still enjoyed his company. He didn't dispute her holding onto him, either, so she supposed it was okay.

He had a soft smile as they passed a few windows, his hands in his pockets. As if it were a natural instinct, Maria slipped her own in and interlaced her fingers around his. She wasn't thinking when she did this, seeing as her eyes were too busy perusing the products before them. There was a pair of earrings that she thought were pretty so she asked, “Is that expensive?”

Her finger went to her lips inquisitively as she looked up at him.

He shrugged, “If you want it, I'll get it for you.”

“Nah.” The Mexicana got distracted by the smell of food wafting her way. “Oh man.. That smells so good!”

She stood up straight and looked around when she saw their guest walking around with a  brown paper bag. From what she surmised, it must have been food. She was having a hard time carrying the two bags.

“Look, Solf! It's Winry. I think we should go help her with those groceries.”

However, Kimblee's eyes were on something else in the display.

“You go help her and I'll be right back. I have to use the lavatory.”


Hurrying over to where she was, the Mexicana flagged down the blonde. “Hey, Winry!”

“Oh hey there. Um, who are you?”

“I'm Maria Sanchez. I'm here with Mr. Kimblee to pick you up and take you to Fort Briggs to replace Fullmetal's automail arm.”

“Oh, you're Maria?”

“Here, let me help you with that.” Maria took one of the bags from her arms.

“You're the woman he was gushing about?”

Gushing?” She chuckled, “You must be mistaken. I'm Mr. Kimblee's Personal Assistant.”

“You two certainly looked cozy over there. I didn't know you were the couple I was waiting for.”

Maria's face got slightly warm after hearing the word “couple”.

“Where did Mr. Kimlee go?”

“I think he had to use the restroom. He said he would catch up with us.”

“Well, let's wait for him, then.”

“That was the plan.” Then the Mexicana continued, “Gurrl,”

There was a blank, confused look on the blonde's face.

“What shampoo do you use? That is totally the shine you'd only see on a model.”

“Just regular shampoo, I guess.” With a free hand, Winry combed through her hair with her fingers, looking at it. Did it really look that good? What with handling greasy parts all day, it was a real surprise.  And it made her a little uncomfortable, too. Being overly flattering wasn't a good trait, she felt. What if Maria was just kissing her ass? Kind of like how she has to do for Mr. Kimblee, right? Or maybe..

“Oh, here he comes. We can always take the car back to your shoppe, Miss Winry. I mean, you have to pick up your suitcase, right?”

“Yeah, that's right. Gee, thanks.”


.o.o.o.


The Mexicana stayed quiet during their trip back to the Fort. She thought it was nice that Solf would treat Winry the same way he did her. When he talked with anyone otherwise, he seemed cold and rigid. There was a different look in his eyes and a different tone in his voice. Which was the real him? She wondered. Either way, she knew she'd have to reconcile the two. Because if she wanted to be a real friend she would have to accept all of him not just the favourable parts.

“Your parents did a great thing, healing the injured up until the very end.”

There was a sad smile on the blonde's face, as she looked down. She sat between the two while remembering.

“At the site I found a picture of them and a little girl whom I assumed was their daughter. I wish I would have had the pleasure of meeting them. It's an honour to meet you now, Miss Winry.” Again, his eyes smiled.

Indeed, the Rockbells did do a great thing, healing the wounded. However, their part in the Ishvalan Civil War lead to their death and it was over the talents they brought to the front. What he hadn't told her and Maria was that the doctors committed treason by healing the injured enemy. It was Kimblee that the leaders sent to kill them. However, when he'd arrived, it was reported that an Ishvalan had went berserk and completed his task for him. This didn't change his feelings about the Rockbells, though. The words he shared with Winry were indeed sincere. He couldn't fight his orders, though. That was what it meant to be in the military. To get blood on your hands.

He made a small vow that sometime he would tell Maria about all this. He wanted to reveal all his evils, not just his justices. If his plans for her were fulfilled she would have to know everything.


Everything.

.o.o.o.