Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dear Brother, Meow. ❯ Frustration my kitten. ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Toxin?” Roy’s voice was questioning and a tad concerned as he sifted through Ed’s medical charts, he had just arrived and was making sure everything was in
order.
Ed nodded “Yeah, that’s what the doctor said it was, said he couldn’t identify it.” his gaze drifted to the kitten dozing in his lap, small head rested upon his hand.
“Mustang.”
Roy looked up from the papers he was examining, snapped out of concentration by the informal use of his name, though he chose to push it aside for the moment considering Ed’s condition.
“Yes Fullmetal, what is it?” he asked patiently.
Ed seemed to be struggling with his words and meeting Roy’s blue gaze with his own of gold, he finally strung together a sentence.
“Earlier, when I first woke up, I was talking with Al, and I could understand him and everything, but as we went on he sort of dazed out.” Ed paused and Roy could see his amber brows knitting in worry, golden eyes ablaze.
“He says he couldn’t understand me for a moment, couldn’t respond. He got really scared, just now fell asleep.” Gently lifting his thumb, Ed caressed the downy gray fur atop his brother’s head.
“It really terrified me, I thought I had lost him.”
Roy was deeply shocked by the fear in Edward’s voice, though he knew that the tone was only reserved for when he talked about the safety of his precious little brother.
Roy spoke in an offhanded tone, he didn’t know much about this sort of transmutation.
“I’m sure it was merely a lapse in his mind, perhaps he started daydreaming-”
Ed cut him off so fiercely that he jarred Al into consciousness, his voice rumbling in a menacing growl.
“No, Mustang. Don’t try and down play this, if you know something then tell me. This is my brother we’re talking about, not some mission report. If I loose him, if he slips away from me to become some house cat, I can’t go on, knowing it’s my fault and that he lost both his mind and body because of me.”
Roy watched him with a stern, yet understanding gaze.
“I couldn’t even get him his body, just his soul, and it seems I can barely manage that.”
Ed moved his auto mail hand up, to press against his face, kneading his forehead in the harsh steel palm.
“Dammit Al, why can’t I ever give you what you deserve?”
That’s when Ed felt tiny paws tread up his flesh arm and onto his shoulder.
“Brother, I’m here with you. Isn’t that all that matters?”
Al’s voice was soft and near, it was the closest Ed had felt to having his brother beside him in a long while.
Edward didn’t speak or move as Al pushed his head against his hair, purring reassuringly.
Roy broke the silence.
“I don’t know much, Fullmetal, but I do know this. Souls that are attached to unfamiliar bodies cannot function correctly, often the natural instincts of that form take over, overruling the attached soul and causing it to loose control. Now, your brother functioned in that suit of armor for four years, because by some grace of talent and love you were able to make it so. I cannot tell you what will happen now, because I do not know.”
Standing from his seat Roy moved for the door, medical charts in hand, grasping the door knob he turned to the pair of brothers sitting upon the bed.
“Alphonse is the sweetest and most loyal soul that I have ever met, if any soul stands a chance of fighting through this, it is your little brother.”
Roy left to research the toxin in Ed’s system, leaving the brothers to contemplate their issues.