Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong ❯ When Alchemy Goes Terribly TERRIBLY Wrong Part A ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Note (A/N): Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong is a work of my own mind, except for the characters and the Hagaren world in general. Still, much of it is based on material presented in Arakawa-san's manga, Hagane no Renkinjutsuhi, therefore while tangled up in my own plot and story development there will be spoilers upon spoilers in this fan fiction. To avoid possibly being ruined run! Or take the chance and read on. I know you want to. ^_~







Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong

By; Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter One:

When Alchemy Goes Terribly, TERRIBLY Wrong Part A



Human kind can not gain anything without sacrificing something equivalent in value. This is the root principle of Alchemy but the in an attempt to resurrect their dead mother the Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse, ignored this law and committed the forbidden act of alchemy on a human being. The attempt to bring back their dead mother failed miserably and the rebound cost Edward his left leg and his younger brother, Alphonse, nearly lost his life. Only by sacrificing himself was Edward able to anchor his younger brother's spirit to a nearby suit of armor; this second human transmutation cost Edward his right arm. Despite the tragedy that befell them Edward will not rest until he restores his brother to flesh and blood and the two limbs that he lost. With the only possible way to access such information on how to do so is by becoming an alchemist certified by the state, Edward undergoes the excruciatingly painful of surgery of attaching mechanical limbs to his body called automail in order to freely move around and heads to Central to take the military exam to become a State Alchemist.

Knowing what they could loose by performing another human transmutation, upon receiving his certification Edward returns to his home town of Resembool to burn down the house he and his brother inherited when his mother died and the two brothers set off on their quest to return to their original bodies…



"Brother! Brother, please say something!" Alphonse cried as he held his bleeding older brother in his arms. The two brothers had just won an epic battle against an extremely powerful Homunculus who called himself Sky. They're current location; deep in an underground city inhabited by human chimera and homunculus, a city only wrote of in the most obscure books buried deep in the archives at Central Library and even there only hinted at as if it were a place that only existed in a fairy tale. It would have been dark all around them if it weren't for the soft yellow orange glow of the transmutation circle the two brothers were in the middle of. Sky had managed to mortally wound Edward and was just about to use him as a sacrifice to create a Philosopher's Stone when Alphonse used his alchemic skills to repeatedly burn the Homunculus where he stood until his body was nothing but a pile of ash on the ground.

"Al…" Edward weakly said opening his eyes and looking up at the suit of armor that was his brother through blurred vision. "I'm going to use this transmutation circle to amplify my power, so… so you can go back to your normal body."

"But how, what are you going to use for the equivalent trade?" Al questioned in a frantic voice.

"Myself." Edward answered.

"No, you can't I won't allow it!" Alphonse said sternly as he continued to watch his brother bleed in his steel arms. "I'm getting you out of here and to a hospital."

"Damn it, listen!" Edward said sitting up which only made him dizzy causing him to fall backward again."

"Brother!" Al shouted.

"I’m alright… as can expected to be for a dead man." Edward said weakly giving his younger brother a slight smile. "I'm changing you back now, while there's still life in me to trade he said clapping his hands together then letting his left hand fall down upon the transmutation circle. The room filled with a brilliant white light and all Alphonse could do was watch as the light consumed everything. If only he hand arms that could feel then he'd know if his brothers body was still there or gone, taken away in equivalent trade. The light continued to grow in intensity and despite not having eyes made of flesh that could be hurt by the brightness of it Alphonse found himself overwhelmed and then suddenly everything in his path of vision went black. Was he unconscious? Was he dead? Alphonse didn't know which he was until he opened his eyes. He was still inside the transmutation circle but something was different. He could feel the dirt on the ground and how the pieces of brown gravel irritated his bare skin. He could smell the stillness in the air and hear the hollowness of the caverns, and see the soft yellow orange light that illuminated them. Suddenly a rush a panic sweep over him and he inhaled deeply as he sat up. "Brother!" He shouted looking around then sawaa body laying face down some meters away still within the transmutation circle. He tried standing but his knees gave away and he found himself hurriedly crawling toward the body on the ground. "Brother?" Alphonse called again not sure if the person was dead or alive. Carefully placing his hand on their back he could feel them slowly breathing in and out. A wide smile lit up Alphonse's face and he started shaking the person's body. "Brother, Edward!" Alphonse called excitedly. "Brother, wake up!" Alphonse called as he turned the body face up. "Brother is it really you?" Alphonse asked as he held the person in his arms with a concerned expression on his face.

"What? Al?" They said upon opening their eyes. "You're back to normal again and so am I…" Edward smiled as he brought both hands to Alphonse's face and seeing that they were both flesh and blood.

"Isn't it wonderful?" Alphonse said as tears streamed down his face. "I can feel you touching me. I can feel you hands touching me!" Alphonse exclaimed.

"Who'd figure it really work out this time?" Edward said bringing his hands back down. "Though I wonder what could have been taken in equivalent trade?" Edward seriously pondered for a second then smiled as he sat up. "What am I talking about? Who cares! We've got our original bodies and nothing seems to be wrong with us, other than the fact that you need some clothing!" He said heavily smacking Alphonse on the back who sweat-dropped not sure whether to he happy that he could feel pain again or not. Alphonse was sitting on the ground without a stitch of clothing on. The hair on his head, that laid neatly around his shoulders, was the only thing covering any part of his body.

"Here." Edward said throwing his coat on the ground I'll transmute this into something you can wear for the time being. It won't be much but-" Edward stopped short in his words and fell to the ground.

"Brother! Alphonse said catching him.

"I don't know what's going on but I don't feel right, Al. I feel strange."

"Maybe you're just exhausted. I'll carry you out, after I transmute something to wear that is." Alphonse said smiling as he laid Edward on the ground. Standing up he turned to the coat and clapped his hands together changing it into a simple pair of pants and a white t-shirt. After getting dressed Alphonse gathered up Edward who had fallen asleep and draped him over his back to be carried out of the caverns piggyback style. With the homunculus, Sky, gone and his lackeys defeated and scattered they could sneak through the catacombs without encountering endangerment, at least that's what Alphonse hoped as he started to shakily walk out of the transmutation circle. Once on the bare ground he turned and to the face the circle.

"I can't just leave this thing here…" He thought and careful placed Edward on the ground. Clapping his hands together again he placed them on the ground and made the dirt that transmutation circle was drawn on shift and roll until the design was lost and the room went black. "Oh, good grief," Alphonse said as he searched in the dark for Edward then proceeded to carry him out to the surface.



In the middle of a bright meadow Alphonse had stopped to rest after braving the treacherous journey through the underground city up to the surface and then through a thick forest. He wasn't sure where he was but he could finally breathe clean air for the first time in a long time. Carefully laying Edward on the ground he sighed happily and clapped his hands together. The dirty that accumulated on his body and clothing while underground faded away. Clapping his hands together again he placed them on Edward's chest and did the same, but something wasn't right. Alphonse sweat-dropped as he tried to figure out why his brother seemed so soft up top. Carefully placing a hand back down on Edward's chest Alphonse sweat-dropped again and snatched it back.

"Oh, Edward," He moaned sounding as if he were going to cry.

"Uuuugh," Edward groaned waking up. "Hey, we're outside!" He said stretching and sitting up and looking over at his brother. "Eh? What's wrong with you, why the down attitude?"

"Edward…" Alphonse started then paused.

"Just spit it out already!" Edward boomed.

"Edward, look at yourself! Your body… What happened to your body!?" Al screamed with tears in his eyes.

"What's wrong with my body?" Edward mumbled looking down at himself to see what in the world his brother could be screaming about, then he noticed it. "Huh?" Edward said placing his hands on his chest. "What the hell!?" He exclaimed moving his hands further down then let out a blood curdling scream.



~To Be Continued~