Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Faces of Hatred ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Revelations
“Dammit Gluttony, I'll get you something to eat as soon as I can!” she screamed at the creature. It just continued to stare at her with a crazed hunger in its eyes. “You can't understand me can you?!”
It lunged for her, jaws agape, acidic drool gushing from its mouth. Reflexively she clapped her hands together, a sudden rush of energy filling her body.
What had she done? She asked herself that, even though she already knew. She could feel the gate forming. Saw its huge stone doors being flung open. Those strange black appendages she saw take Hohenheim and Edward were stretching for her. In an instant they were wrapped about her and Gluttony.
That wasn't supposed to happen! The Gate was just supposed to take Gluttony. Why did it take me?! WHY!!! This is all your fault Edward Elric! I HATE YOU! I HATE EDWARD ELRIIIIIIC!!!!!!!!!
* * *
I awoke with a start. Had I dreamed of Dante. Is that what had really happened? How could it have.
The early morning sun had turned the sky a rosy-pink when I finally awoke. Despite my constant nightmares, I had miraculously accumulated a decent night's sleep. I gazed out the wagon to see that we were in the country-side. Where were we going?
I felt Lust's violet-red eyes on me, as she turned her head from the driver's seat. “Well look who's awake” she said with a slight smirk. Dimly, I wondered what she found so interesting, when I noticed that my head was resting on Ed's lap.
I quickly sat up, attempting to salvage some dignity by haphazardly straightening my long brown hair with my fingers. “Why didn't you say something?”
Ed chuckled. “You just looked so peaceful.” Well at least I hadn't made my nightmares apparent.
Lust interrupted my thoughts “Ed was going to wake you a lot sooner, but I decided it would be more fun to see your reaction when you woke up.” I felt suddenly hostile towards her. The nerve of that woman, letting me embarrass myself like that in front of Ed.
“Never-mind” I said, more to myself than to her. “I have some questions to ask you Lust.”
“Please, please, call me Renee” she cut me off.
“Well . . . I couldn't very well go around calling myself Lust. Not just because I'm hiding from Dante, but because that's just weird.”
I shuddered at the mention of Dante. I just couldn't believe it was the same person. I had thought she was creepy as an old lady. When I found out what she really was, I was outright terrified.
“So she is here in Germany?” Ed asked. He seemed concerned, but not afraid. How could he be so calm about this.
“Well, I can't say Germany for sure, she always was hard to track, but if Hate's here then, Dante must not be to far.” Another name that sent shivers down my spine. So many things didn't make sense about Hate. If Dante created him, then she must have used alchemy. How was that possible if Ed couldn't. Why did he look so much like Ed.
Lust (or Renee *snicker*) pulled the wagon to a stop. We hopped out and I surveyed the scenery. We seemed to be in the middle of a meadow, following a singular dirt road that looked to be the only road for miles. She invited us to have a seat on the grass next to her. She had removed her cloak to reveal a white drawstring tank-top, black leggings, and a pair of black riding boots.
“Alright you two. Its time I tell you what we're up against.”
“What do you mean” I broke in.
“I mean Dante of course. Don't you want to go after her?”
Ed looked like he was going to reply, but I plowed on. This was the time to confront her. “Oh I understand about Dante, It's you I'm worried about at the moment!”
“I saved your life last night, and you talk to me like I'm the enemy!” Again Ed looked like he wanted to interject, but I wouldn't let him.
“How do I know you're not?! You only helped us last night because it was in your best interests. You would've turned on us in a second if it meant you got what you wanted.”
“That's not true!”
“Prove it!”
Lust raised her hand, and I thought she was going to use her claws on me. I felt around for one of my knives. It surprised me, however, when she pulled her shirt down to reveal her chest.
“Look! No oroboorus! I'm human now. I have nothing to gain by helping you! Do you think it's possible that I'm helping you because I care about you, and that I care about what happens to this world?! I was a monster in the past, I'll admit it. But I've changed now. I'm a completely different woman.”
Ed finally got his say. “Both of you calm down. Sharee, of course we're helping her. We've seen what Dante can do. Even in this world, she can use alchemy. She created Hate, what else can she do?”
“I know Dante's dangerous” I fumed “ but she's done too much that I can't forgive her for!” I indicated Lust. Ed should have known better than anyone how I felt about her, and the rest of the homunculi.
How could he side with her?! I'd have killed her myself if Wrath hadn't beaten me to it. I was near furious with Ed for working with her, even if it was to save Al.
“Well I can't argue with you there” she said casually “but you'll have better luck against Dante with me. I was always good at gathering information.”
“So was I” I retorted “Major Sharee Youd, Investigations Department, Second-in-command to former Lieutenant-Colonel Maes Hughes, promoted to Brigadier General after he was killed in action. But you know all about that don't you!” I tried to keep my voice level as I spoke about Maes. I had loved him like he was my own father. Then he was taken from me. It just wasn't fair, and she had been largely responsible for it.
“We're not accomplishing anything by arguing!” Ed shouted. He seemed to be having a difficult time keeping his place in the conversation. I mentally smiled at his frustration. “Look Sharee, I think Lust ...”
“Renee.”
“Whatever. My point is, she seems to know more about what Dante is up to than we do. Why don't we listen to her?”
I finally decided to give in. “Fine, but I want some answers first.”
Lust seemed to relax a little. “Alright, that sounds fair.”
“First, I'd like to know how you're here. I mean, Wrath killed you. And if you're human, then why can you still use your powers.”
She rubbed the back of her neck nervously. “Well, I wish I could tell you, but it doesn't make much sense to me either. I just remember seeing the gate, and then waking up on cold, hard ground. I still had my memories of Amestris, and for some reason, my powers just came naturally to me.”
“Okay. Now tell us what you know about Dante.” We continued on like that for an hour or so. We questioned, she answered.
Apparently, Dante had copied Greed's idea to gain followers. She had used Hate to break criminals out of jail. Unlike Greed however, she didn't count on their loyalty. She had Hate kill them and then used alchemy to turn their bodies into mindless puppets.
Lust didn't know how she could use alchemy, but she thought it could be attributed to hundreds of years of constant exposure to the Philosophers Stone.
Listening to this made me feel so helpless. How could Dante have gained so much influence so quickly, without us realizing it. And yet Lust talked about it, like she was describing what was for breakfast. And Ed was calmly, silently taking it all in. I couldn't understand how he was so brave all the time.
We were exact opposites, me & him. He was into science, I was into more creative work. He thought quick, and never once worried how his decisions put him in danger. I had to carefully plan things out, leaving no room for error. He always faced what was coming, never worried. I had a habit of hiding behind him. He was never afraid to say how he felt. I kept quiet, I never even swore! He was always so casual about how he dressed and looked. I was always fussing over my hair, my outfit (hey it's hard looking attractive and wearing sleeves loose enough to hide all my knives in). But my point is, I think that was why he had no feelings for me.
But why was I worrying about that now. How could I be so selfish? There was a psycho running around with a crazed homunculus, and an army of soulless puppets!
That was pretty much all Lust knew about the situation. She couldn't answer what Dante was after, or why Hate looked so much like Ed. She just told us what she knew and told us to get into the wagon.
“It's still a long way to Regensburg.”
* Hate *
Hate leaned casually against the wall, only half listening to Dante's constant rants at the new prisoner. He wasn't sure what she had hoped to get out of Hohenheim. He seemed very . . . in the dark as to what Ed was doing. She did seem to enjoy slapping him around though. Hate really thought this was just for her enjoyment though. He thought it was stupid how she couldn't let go of Hohenheim. He tried not to think about her. She was the one person in his world he hated more than that bastard Edward Elric.
Hate had all of Ed's memories. The strange thing though, was that they weren't his memories. Every time he tried to remember something, it was in third person view. He was just watching Ed's life. He despised everything about him. Mainly because he wished he had it.
At least something good came from that asshole's memories he thought to himself. He had all of Elric's memories of Sharee. He hated watching her moon over him. Hated how he tossed her aside. Hated how he was oblivious to her situation with that bastard who had the nerve to call himself her father.
If he had been there, he'd have comforted her. Held her and told her it would be alright. He might have even killed that man himself. The bruises, the crying, How could Elric have been so blind to it. Did he honestly believe she got so battered from falling all the time. Did he not hear him yelling and screaming at her. Her house had been just down the damn road!
Why had he whipped her so much! She had only wanted to make him happy. She never
misbehaved, except when Elric got her into trouble! It wasn't her fault what had happened to her mother! Every time he re-lived that memory, how he wanted to run down the road and rip that monster to shreds! Strangle him with the belt he used to hurt her! But Elric was far worse at fault!
He was the one who got her into so much trouble! Selfish arrogant little brat! What did he know about it! His kind, soft-hearted mother would never hit him! That cocky little shit didn't know how good he had it!
Hate was so wrapped up in his private fit that it nearly startled him when Dante strode toward him. “I have a mission for you.”
“What a surprise.”
“Don't get smart with me, or I'll have to punish you again.”
“I'm terrified” he smirked.
“I have some business to take care of in Augsburg. I need you to infiltrate some more prisons in Regensburg.”
“Are you sure? All that alchemy seems to be taking its toll on you.” He was right about that. The stream of decay had crawled up her face in the likeness of a grotesque mask.
“Never mind that! As soon as I figure out how to use them to make a Philosopher's Stone I'll have enough power to transfer into eight bodies! Now get moving!” She paused a moment. “And take him with you.” She indicated the massive form of Gluttony, who now had a mask chained to his face to prevent any further attempts to turn on her. “He's been drooling all over the carpet of late.”
Hate just glared. He motioned Gluttony to follow him and once again leapt out the all too familiar second story window. It was a long walk to Regensburg.