Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ My Brother ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 14: My Brother
 
When I woke I found I'd slept sitting up. Stretching did little to help my aching muscles. They were screaming for a hot shower. So I rose and stretched some more. Then I turned into the hall. The door to the bedroom was open so I decided to check in on the boys.
 
I was shocked to find the cot empty. My eyes flew to the bed, and I breathed a sigh of relief. There was Al, curled up with his brother. Ed's arm draped over the boy. How often had I heard the child mumble for his brother? Now he finally had him to cuddle with. It was simple and pure brotherly love.
 
Smiling I walked on to the bathroom. I made sure to lock the door before undressing. I turned on the shower before stepping into the tub. The heat felt good against my muscles. I could feel them relaxing as I soothingly washed my hair.
 
Getting out I dried off and wrapped my hair up in a towel. Reaching for my robe I found it gone. Oh, that's right, I let Edward borrow it. I'd completely forgotten. So I wrapped a large towel around me and cautiously opened the door. Alphonse would still be asleep, but I wasn't sure about Edward. Worst of all, my clothes were in the bedroom closet.
 
Silently I crept into the bedroom and pulled out an outfit. Someone moved on the bed so without looking I rushed, out shutting the door behind me. With my head down I breathed a sigh of relief as I stepped into the living room.
 
“Good morn…”I looked up to see Edward's blushing face. His eyes were large as they scanned me. The towel was far too short for my liking! Quickly he turned to look away but in doing so lost his balance. The crutch fell to the ground, followed by its owner. “Oh!”
 
“Ed!” I rushed over to him dropping the clothes, but keeping a tight grip on the towel. “Are you alright?” I knelt down next to him and placed my free hand on his arm. He'd hit the coffee table with his side.
 
He looked up into my face. “Yeah, just knocked the wind out of me.” His breath was ragged and forced. His face was still red with embarrassment. Again he diverted his eyes.
 
“Ona, what happened?” Alphonse came rushing in. “I heard a noise and…” Now his eyes were growing. “What are you two doing?!” His mouth hung open as he took in the scene.
 
I could feel the blush rushing into my face. The situation was getting out of hand. “Help your brother!” I ordered quickly before I rose and rushed into the bedroom. Slamming the door then leaned back against it. This place is way too small!
 
 
The blush hadn't faded when I had finally finished dressing and gathered the nerve to come out. Ed made it a point not to look at me. Instead he sipped a cup of coffee and examined an old newspaper. His face was as red as mine. At least he hadn't been hurt during the fall.
 
Nervously I pushed my hair behind my ears. I could hear Al trying to stifle a giggle as I went into the kitchen to fix breakfast. He walked up next to me grinning and still holding in a laugh.
 
“You say anything and I'll let you starve.” I whispered, my voice revealing my complete embarrassment. “It was just a misunderstanding.” I moved to look in the icebox for the breakfast food.
 
The boy's cheeks were red. “Sure sis.” He managed without laughing.
 
 
That afternoon I left the two of them alone as I went to Clemont's house. It would let them talk without feeling they had to include me. I'd already called Clem and he'd agreed to let me have a wheelchair. I drove the truck to make it easier on myself.
 
“So Ona, you've found the Fullmetal Alchemist?” Clemont was dying to meet him, but I'd refused to let him deliver the wheelchair himself. Ed was still too self-conscious for fans to come visiting. “I could make him a new leg and arm, if he wants me to.”
 
I shook my head, “No, I've already spoken with him about that. He feels you've done enough already.” I helped move boxes to reach the wheelchair. “He'll probably see about getting automail again.”
 
Clemont nodded although he was let down by not getting to work for his hero directly. “Yes, I suppose he'll have enough questions about his brother. Having his own limbs back could stir up publicity. I don't need that to happen.”
 
Pulling we managed to retrieve what we were after. We sat it down and I looked at Clem. “You have no idea how much just having his brother back means to him. He was so broken, it's like…”
 
“Like if you got Emery back?” Clemont cut in.
 
I didn't say anything, just bowed my head. Lifting the folded chair I turned to leave. My friend should have known better. That was a name which was not to be spoken, not by anyone. I hadn't even said it when I'd told Edward about my brother. It was too painful.
 
 
When I was on the road home I watched the world around me. A house passed by the window. A little girl and boy were outside playing on a rope-swing. Smiles lit their faces as they took turns. Their laugher resounded through the surrounding fields, its joy trying to spread itself like wildfire.
 
Then I passed the graveyard. Slowing the truck down I watched as the headstone of my parents passed by. I hadn't been back to visit them since the funeral. It was too hard to think of mom and dad lying under the ground. To know they would never come back again, it was too much for me to handle.
 
 
Pulling up to the house I dried my eyes and pulled out my face powder. Looking in the rearview mirror I powdered my face to hide the red marks. My past was gone, the same as my family. Crying isn't what I should be wasting my time on anyway.
 
I climbed out of the cab and lowered the tailgate. Getting into the bed of the truck I struggled to set the wheelchair onto the ground. It took some maneuvering but I managed it. Then I slammed the tailgate and rolled the chair up to the front door.
 
With a deep breath I opened it, praying they wouldn't notice I was upset. I put on a fake smile and walked in. “Hey, anyone home?” I called, rolling the chair in front of me.
 
Al came rushing out of bedroom, a large smile on his face. “Sis! Did you get it?” I patted it with one hand. His eyes lit the whole room. “Hey brother she got it!” The child's voice resounded through the house.
 
Ed hobbled through the doorway. “Great.” I unfolded it and he took a seat. “We were playing cards… This is a nice chair.” He looked at the wheels and could see it was one of the better brands.
 
“Can we go for a walk now?” Al begged me, his hands already taking hold of the handles. “I want to show brother the stream and the rabbits and everything!”
 
I nodded with a fake bright smile. “Yeah, you two have fun. I'll make a lunch and you can take with you” I started to turn away but felt someone take hold of my sleeve. Looking back I found it was Edward.
 
“Come with us.” His eyes were shining as brightly as his brother's, pleading with mine. “It'll be fun. We can have a picnic and just enjoy the day.” He'd noticed the secrets my eyes were holding.
 
Biting my lip I shook my head. His eyes were still begging so with a sigh of exasperation I explained. “You two need to spend time together. A family picnic, just you brothers.”
 
“But sis.” Alphonse was looking at me with eyes only a child can possess. “Please, you're family to me.” I lowered my eyes away from his gaze. I couldn't stand the fact that they resembled Emery's. I wondered if Clem had done that on purpose or by chance. “Ona? Don't you think of me like a little brother?”
 
That same old pain struck my heart. He has Ed now. Why does he need me? My mind went back to Emery's pleading face. “Please sis.” But this wasn't Emery. It wasn't even part of my real family. He shouldn't have to put up with the fact that I was a failure. He deserved better.
 
“Please Ona.” Edward looked up at me. “You can push me outside while Al packs the lunch. Alright Al?” The boy's face lit up at his brother's question. He nodded happily and rushed into the kitchen before I had a chance to protest.
 
I sighed heavily then pushed the elder brother outside. He knows why I don't want to go. Why does he have to push the subject? Doesn't he have what he wants? Isn't having Al back enough?
 
 
The day was bright. Birds sang in a nearby tree. The smell of freshly mowed grass hung in the air. It would be a good day for an outing. Good for the boys that was, not for me. I didn't want to intrude anymore. I'd already lost one family. I didn't need another just to have them taken from me when Edward was healed.
 
“You're very important to Al.” Ed broke my thoughts. He turned to look up at me. His golden eyes searching mine. “He still needs you Ona. I can't take care of him like this.” He patted what was left of his leg.
 
“But you'll get automail. Then you two will be just fine.” I fought the lump that was forming in my throat. “Once you're better you'll take your brother and leave. He doesn't need to get attached to me.” I felt my heart break.
 
Edward had a knowing look, which was one I already knew I didn't like. “Who is it that you're afraid is getting attached? Is it that you're worried about Al, or yourself?”
 
My head bowed. It was true. I was worried about myself. Still, did he really have to bring it up? “I've lost one brother. I don't want to loose another.”
 
He lifted his hand to take mine. “You won't loose him. We'll stay close. Maybe get a house around here somewhere.” He smiled and squeezed my hand, warming my lonely heart. “It'll work out, isn't that what you always say?”
 
I couldn't deny it. I'd told both him and Al that more times than I could count. But now, when it came to my own hopes, I couldn't believe that. This could just as easily go wrong. Ed could become a state alchemist and leave again, taking Al with him.
 
“Ona,” He moved his hand to mine again. “It will work out. You have to believe that, for Alphonse, and for me.” His eyes were full of pained hope. He needed me as much as his little brother did. And it seemed that I was being to need him.
 
“Yes,” I murmured, trying to add conviction behind my words. “it will.”