Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ True Family ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 16: True Family
 
“Edward” A girl rushed out a door of a two story house. Her blond hair up in a ponytail. She wore a sweater and jeans. The house had a large balcony taking the place of an extra room. It looked simple and sweet, not what I'd expected.
 
The young woman hugged Ed tightly before moving back. She saw Alphonse and her eyes misted over. “Al?” She knelt down before him taking in his presence. Then she wrapped her arms tightly about him in a hug.
 
He looked up to me questioningly. I smiled and nodded a little, letting him know to hug back. He did so though I could tell he was somewhat uncomfortable. The boy didn't want to hurt her feeling by being rude.
 
Then she looked up and saw me. Standing quickly she dusted herself off and dried her tears. “Who are you?” She stretched out a hand to me which I took, shaking it gently.
 
“This is Ona.” Ed explained, his voice wavering slightly. “She's the one who found Al and got him a body. Then she found me.” He smiled at me warmly. “We've been staying at her place for over a month now.”
 
“Over a month?” The young woman sounded hurt and her eyes reflected so into his. “You've been with Al that long and you're just now coming to see me.” She bit her bottom lip before continuing. “You could've come back sooner Ed.”
 
He shook his head a little giving her a wry smirk through his forehead was wrinkled. “I'm sorry but… we needed some time.” He looked to his brother. “We needed to get to know each other again.”
 
She frowned a little but then brightened as if by force. “Oh well, all that matters is that you've come home again.” Her hand brushed Al's hair. “Both of you.”
 
I could see the worry in the child's eyes. He started to say something but I placed a hand on his back to silence him. “We should get inside. It's been a long trip.” I smiled at her warmly. “I could use some water, if you don't mind.”
 
Winry smiled nodding. We followed her inside. All the while Al looked at me worried. I tried hard to swallow the knot that had formed in my throat. This is going to be harder than I first thought. He just isn't ready to let go.
 
 
Alphonse and I watched quietly as the mechanic took measurements. Her grandmother, we found out, had died while the boys were gone. It seemed to pain Edward but Al only worried about not being able to remember the woman. She had obviously cared for them. We still hadn't explained it to Winry.
 
“Well, you have grown quite a bit Edward.” She proclaimed standing and making notes. “You're not a little shrimp anymore.” She smiled down at him, where he sat in a chair.
 
He grinned. “Yeah, I'm taller than you now.” His eyes moved to look at me, thinking I needed an explanation. “I was kind of short for my age when I was younger.”
 
I smiled and nodded. The pictures I'd seen in newspapers showed that. But I'd never mentioned it to him. Alphonse giggled a little. He could still remember that he'd been the taller before the accident.
 
“Do you want to come to the kitchen and get something to eat with me?” Winry's question was directed to the child at my side. She had a warm smile and held out a hand for him to take.
 
I could feel him tense as he shook his head. He wrapped his arms around one of mine and leaned into me. “No thank you. I'm fine.” He was like a child unwilling to go with a stranger. Of course in his mind Winry was a stranger.
 
She gave him a sorrowful look so I decided to explain. “I'm sorry but, he doesn't remember anything other than Ed and their mother.” My heart cringed as the look in her eyes turned to deep sadness. “But we'd love something to eat.” I stood pulling the boy with me.
 
 
That night as we sat around the table eating dinner, she and Ed reminisced about old times. They laughed about things that had happened in their childhood. She also told him some of what had happened during his absents.
 
Al stayed close to me. He gave Winry wary looks when she spoke about things he had done. It wasn't that he feared her, but that he feared the things he couldn't remember. It seemed to pain him a great deal. Mostly, it seemed, because it made her sad.
 
 
It seemed to be the longest week in the history of mankind. Al slowly accepted Winry. She appeared to be very grateful for that. She and the brothers had a wonderful time speaking and getting to know one another again. Mostly I just sat back and let them. It was like slowly letting go.
 
I sat in one of the extra bedrooms when Edward hobbled to the door. He tapped lightly on the wall before coming in. I looked up and nodded to him. He made his way slowly over to the bed to sit down next to me.
 
Then his hand brushed through my hair. My heart pounded quickly in my chest. His closeness was almost too much for me to stand without crying. “Tomorrow's the day. The limbs are ready.” He told me.
 
I looked up at him. He'd wanted me to stay for moral support. As soon as I was able, I'd be leaving. I would go back to my small lonely house. I could feel my heart tighten at the thought of just how empty the place would be. But he belonged here. We weren't a couple. I had never even mentioned how much I felt for him. Now it would be too late.
 
“She's putting on both at the same time. It should be easier that way.” His voice was soft as he spoke, his fingers still running through my hair. “It won't be as bad as the first time, but it will hurt. I should be down for a couple of days, if not longer.”
 
I nodded, “Yeah but then you'll be up and walking.” I lifted my head to look at him directly. The moonlight lit his face, highlighting his features. He was quite handsome, which only added to my torture. My voice almost gave way, almost. “Al's really excited about that. He's got so much he's already planning. Mostly wrestling I think.”
 
Ed chuckled a little. “We used to do that so much. We'd come home and mom would have to bandage us up again. Then, after the accident, when he was in that armor we still scraped. I never beat him though.”
 
“Ona!” Al came rushing through the door. He'd quit calling my sis the day we arrived at Resembool. I supposed it was because of Winry. He didn't want to upset her anymore than he already did. Still it pained me. “Tomorrow's the big day!” He flopped on the bed with a wide grin.
 
He's so much like…I had to force my thoughts to stop. If they continued I'd start to cry. I would be loosing him just as I had Emery. At least Alphonse didn't need me. Yet I found myself needing him, and Edward.
 
“Yes.” I murmured, trying to cover my worry. “After tomorrow Ed'll have automail. No more pushing the wheelchair around.” A fake smile crossed my face. It was good enough to fool the child.
 
The boy looked to his brother, beaming with joy. “Yeah! Getting home will be a lot easier!”
 
Swallowing hard I found I'd lost my voice. Doesn't he realize that he is home? Hasn't he figured that out by now? He won't be going back, I'm the one who'll be leaving. Leaving them behind.