Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Bluebird's End Series ❯ The Vow Not Broken ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Promises were made to be broken.

I disagree with leaving, but I will stay away.

But he was sitting inside the military headquarters right now.

I won't do anything that goes against your wishes, Father.

But he was waiting for the one that Hohenheim told him to stay away from after they'd left the city for good.

If it comes down to it, I will kill anyone who stands in our way.

But Edward Elric still lived, and he had no intention of killing him anytime soon... possibly never, in fact.

Envy was a contradiction in terms, and he knew this quite well. He had no love for Hohenheim, but followed his orders until recently. He had been insanely jealous that Hohenheim seemed to feel more pride for his younger two sons, but the feeling had changed into something... else with the loss of the youngest Elric son. He had once followed orders, even if he took some liberties from time to time, but now he was breaking every vow he'd ever made.

Every vow except one.

I swear to you, I will watch over you and keep you safe from harm. Even if it means I'll finally die.

The person whom he made this promise to had been sleeping and never heard the words.

But Envy would keep this vow anyway, and perhaps in time he would understand the strange not-hate he had felt when Edward Elric had peacefully fallen asleep in his arms.